PDA

View Full Version : New Addition to the Family

goodoleboy
05-17-13, 21:50
Last week I bought a 9.5 inch Ruger Super Redhawk on Gunbroker. It arrived at my FFL today, and I went by and picked it up. I've been wanting one of these for years, but never could throw down the green to get one. Well, I finally bit the bullet and got one. My dad had an obsession with 44 mags all through my growing up life. He owned several model 29 S&Ws, Super Blackhawks, Redhawks, and one Ruger Deefield Carbine. He sold them all off before he passed away last November. He did quite a bit of reloading for them over the years and had several hundred rounds of 44 mag and 44 special loaded up that he never got to shoot.

I hate he wasn't around to see me buy mine but he left me quite a bit of reloading goodies to keep me occupied for a while. Since I'm so terrible with digital cameras, here's the listing on gunbroker with pics.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339928435

I am still undecided about optics. I've never had optics on a handgun before. A friend of mine recommended I try a ghost ring rear on it. Any thoughts from those more knowledgable would be appreciated.

Mr. Greene
05-18-13, 21:51
very nice I'm sure your dad is looking down with pride you are continuing the legacy. enjoy it

tappedandtagged
05-31-13, 06:34
On a large gun like that, weight isn't exactly a factor when selecting an optic. I say go ahead and get a scope for it. My only 44 mag has a 3" barrel and I carry it while afoot scouting in the woods, so it only has irons. But.... If I had a 9.5" barrel, I would love to put a scope on it. As to which one, I can't say. I have no experience with handgun scopes.