PDA

View Full Version : DARK IFAK used on my range

ffchewy17
05-18-13, 12:12
Wanted to post an endorsement for the DARK IFAK, from personal experience. I am a FF/EMT for a Large City Dept in central Florida. On a recent range trip with 3 fellow friends who I work with I managed to partially amputate my left pointer finger at the base knuckle, with an RMJ S13 Shrike. While doing some range maintenance I was hammering range stakes into the ground to mark 5,10,15,25 yard shooting lines. Like an idiot I was in a rush and was using the flat of the Hawk as a hammer and on the last stake the hawk twisted in my hand on a down swing. The sharpened spike was then facing directly down and glanced of the stake, striking my left hand and partially severing my left pointer finger. Lots of blood, exposed tendon, partially separated knuckle on my pointer finger and index finger.

I used the 2x Izzy bandage and 1 roll of Coban to stop the bleeding and hold the finger in place. All supplies was on hand immediately due to having a DARK IFAK on my belt.

This was not an accident, but an act of stupidity on my part. But this is a good example of always carrying your med gear and having the training to use it. I am lucky that my department dels with a lot of trauma calls and I had plenty of experienced helping hands with me.

Training can make up the difference for bad equipment, but good training and good equipment, like the DARK IFAK, can save a life or a finger.

wilco423
05-18-13, 16:52
Yowza! Hope you are/were able to get it re-attached! I'm sure Pocket Doc would love to hear the tale of successful use of his kit on the range.

We've all done stupid stuff and/or been inattentive at times...

gun71530
05-18-13, 17:19
Glad you're okay, sounds like you learned a painful lesson.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Grumpus Monkus
05-18-13, 22:39
Hate to hear you wen thru this. The DARK IFAK looks pretty good and as mentioned helps to know how to use the supplies.

What was the final damage done to your finger?

Hope you heal quickly.

ffchewy17
05-19-13, 11:51
18 stitches; 10 external, 8 internal. Loss of feeling to left pointer finger tip. Reset both knuckles at hospital, lots of bruising :D

Pocket DARK IFAK on the way soon too, have a plan and the training. Don't make stupid mistakes like me.

Grumpus Monkus
05-19-13, 12:20
18 stitches; 10 external, 8 internal. Loss of feeling to left pointer finger tip. Reset both knuckles at hospital, lots of bruising :D Pocket DARK IFAK on the way soon too, have a plan and the training. Don't make stupid mistakes like me.

So the ER RN part of me just has to say watch for s/s of infection, take any antibiotics given for entire coarse, keep it clean, blah, blah, etc....

chuckman
05-19-13, 15:56
So the ER nurse in ME would have laughed at you. :) In good fun, of course. Seriously, glad you are OK.

ffchewy17
05-19-13, 16:43
I laughed at my self... It's payback for the last 8 years of making fun of every dumb ass call I've been part off :D at least it was a cool tomahawk, and not something lame

Smash
05-19-13, 17:30
Pics or it didn't happen.

;)

I hope you get all of its use back

NeoNeanderthal
05-19-13, 18:31
Ouch. Make sure to send an Email to DARK Medical. I'm sure they'd love to hear about their product being put to good use.

PT Doc
05-19-13, 19:22
Meh, you got a cool story and chicks dig scars. :D

Glad you're ok and had some training.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

ffchewy17
05-20-13, 07:46
Contacted Pocket Doc and he was extremely helpful, also happy to hear his gear was on hand to use quickly. The finger is healing really quickly; the PA in the ER made the comment of " that hatchet must have been really sharp" :cool: