PDA

View Full Version : Blackwater: Inside America's Private Army

M4arc
07-23-06, 09:13
This story ran in our Sunday paper and I thought you guys would like to read it:

Blackwater: Inside America's Private Army (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=107946&ran=29743&tref=po)

VA_Dinger
07-23-06, 09:24
Thanks, now I don't need to go buy the Sunday paper......or steal yours.

:D

Thors ~ Hammer
07-23-06, 09:29
This story ran in our Sunday paper and I thought you guys would like to read it:

Blackwater: Inside America's Private Army (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=107946&ran=29743&tref=po)

Not bad.

M4arc
07-23-06, 09:35
Thanks, now I don't need to go buy the Sunday paper......or steal yours.

You need to go buy one you cheap bastard! :D

Cold Zero
07-23-06, 10:10
NEWSPAPER theft is a crime....;)

good article.

Saint
07-23-06, 11:34
On a similar note.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/warriors/view/

Chili
07-23-06, 13:46

They aren't kidding about the contruction. I was down there a few months ago doing my requal stuff, and that place was like one big contruction site, everywhere you looked.

M4arc
07-25-06, 18:20
PART II (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=108003&ran=206428)

M4arc
07-25-06, 18:22
PART III (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=108057&ran=56149)

subzero
07-25-06, 19:27
My favorite part so far:
Not everyone is thrilled with the company’s growth. Neighbors have complained about noise, traffic and proximity to firing ranges.

For the past two years, Susan Zimmerman has lived in a neighborhood just off Puddin Ridge Road, which leads to Blackwater’s main entrance.

“There is so much traffic going in and out of there now,” she said. “And if you think about the munitions going up and down our residential road, it’s pretty frightening.”

You bought that place in 2004 you silly bint! That's 3 YEARS after BW started spooling up for the big time! She must have a sister in VB. That's the same kind of silliness that leads idiots to buy houses next to Oceana Naval Air Station then complain about the jet noise.

M4arc
07-26-06, 06:52
PART IV (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=108113&ran=186344)

DnJ90
07-29-06, 19:17
A company I would be proud to say I was a part of.

mark5pt56
07-29-06, 20:52
Great readings Marc! I need all of these articles!

I'm Glad to be a part of all of this!

Mark

M4arc
07-30-06, 07:02
PART V (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=108184&ran=230435)

M4arc
07-30-06, 07:03
PART VI (http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=108242&ran=18183)

M4arc
07-30-06, 07:03
Great readings Marc! I need all of these articles!

I'm Glad to be a part of all of this!

Mark

I'll get them for you.

If anyone else wants hard copies of this series either post here or PM me.

corey d
07-30-06, 11:22
I'll get them for you.

If anyone else wants hard copies of this series either post here or PM me.

post the rest of em on here? thats some good stuff there man......

cd

Bonk2029
07-30-06, 15:13
Interesting reading, thanks for the heads up. :)

Razoreye
07-30-06, 16:30
Great read and frontline videos.

Too bad mercs get such a bad rep.

John_Wayne777
08-02-06, 12:14
They aren't kidding about the contruction. I was down there a few months ago doing my requal stuff, and that place was like one big contruction site, everywhere you looked.

They actually purchased their own construction company because it is cheaper for them to own one than it is to hire one to do the massive ammounts of construction they have going on all the time.

When I was last there in May, they were putting the finishing touches on an airstrip that could handle a C130, and the guys from 3rd SF out of Bragg were excited about being able to fly in to do a lot more training.

Every time I go to BW it seems to have doubled in size.

John_Wayne777
08-02-06, 12:16
Great read and frontline videos.

Too bad mercs get such a bad rep.

BW guys aren't "mercs".

They guard stuff. They don't conduct offensive operations. They are basically high risk security guards. They will fight only if forced to.

There is a big difference between what the BW contractors do and being a "merc".

Razoreye
08-03-06, 11:39
BW guys aren't "mercs".

They guard stuff. They don't conduct offensive operations. They are basically high risk security guards. They will fight only if forced to.

There is a big difference between what the BW contractors do and being a "merc".
I disagree. They get paid to fight offense and/or defense.

M4arc
08-03-06, 13:10
I don't know about anyone else but the term sounds so Holywoodish I can't even repeat it without being ashamed of myself.

John_Wayne777
08-03-06, 13:17

I don't ever recall their being employed by the DOD or the Iraqi or Afghani governments to conduct any offensive operations of any sort.

Frankly....they aren't equipped to do so.

Robb Jensen
08-03-06, 20:25

Sources?

Hydguy
08-05-06, 23:40

They are a SECURITY contracting company. I didn't do any offensive ops in La after Katrina, nor did any other BW contractors.

Chili
08-06-06, 04:08
I'm a BW IC, we don't conduct ANY offensive ops, as much as I'd like to sometimes. I'm not going to go in depth on here about ROEs or any type of engagements. I'm not even going into the whole merc thing. :rolleyes:

John_Wayne777
08-07-06, 08:22
I'm a BW IC, we don't conduct ANY offensive ops, as much as I'd like to sometimes. I'm not going to go in depth on here about ROEs or any type of engagements. I'm not even going into the whole merc thing. :rolleyes:

Probably a wise thing.

Stay safe out there...

Bolster
08-09-06, 03:59
Thanks for posting this. It is an incredibly intriguing read.

jethead
08-09-06, 11:05
I wonder how much longer BW will be available to civies.

jethead
08-09-06, 11:36
Thanks for posting this.

Renegade
08-09-06, 13:16
The well-known BW operator on the building picking off targets of opportunity pretty much makes the merc/contractor/security guard label game irrelevant.

Chili
08-09-06, 13:25
"The well-known BW operator on the building picking off targets of opportunity pretty much makes the merc/contractor/security guard label game irrelevant."

Not sure where you are going with that, could be interperated in a few ways. Can you elaborate?

Renegade
08-09-06, 15:58
"The well-known BW operator on the building picking off targets of opportunity pretty much makes the merc/contractor/security guard label game irrelevant."

Not sure where you are going with that, could be interperated in a few ways. Can you elaborate?

It is like the no women serve in combat roles, yet here we have Jessica Lynch, a POW. Trying to put labels on people/jobs is meaningless, What really happens is what really counts. BW folks see combat-level action, regardless of what their job title is. Many contractors over there do.

Robb Jensen
08-09-06, 21:32
The well-known BW operator on the building picking off targets of opportunity pretty much makes the merc/contractor/security guard label game irrelevant.

If you actually knew Travis Haley (aka SimplyDynamic here on www.m4carbine.net) you would know the whole story. The BW contractors at Al Najaf were being overrun. If you ask Travis directly or Google 'Al Najaf' 2004 Blackwater you might learn a thing or two instead of making a judgement on a 10min video.

These weren't 'offensive' actions, they were 'defensive'. Travis was part of the 12 man team protecting Coalition Provision Authority (CPA) Administrator Ambassador Paul Bremer. The BW contractors were being overrun in Al Najaf and Travis was in Baghdad (IIRC w/Bremer), Travis volunteered to go fly to Al Najaf to help his brothers in arms. Paul Bremer didn't want another Fallujah to happen to BW again. General Sanchez wouldn't send U.S. troops to help as these were U.S. citizens but not U.S. military.

Stay Safe Travis,
We'll throw back some beers soon brother.

Renegade
08-09-06, 21:49
I do not have to know anybody to know a guy shooting at, and being shot at, should not be labeled a "security guard" as if he was working at Wal-Mart stopping teenagers from stealing DVDs. Have some respect for these people who go into harm's way.

Robb Jensen
08-09-06, 21:52
I do not have to know anybody to know a guy shooting at, and being shot at, should not be labeled a "security guard" as if he was working at Wal-Mart stopping teenagers from stealing DVDs. Have some respect for these people who go into harm's way.

Have respect for which people? :confused:

Travis is a good personal friend of mine. Highly respected by me, thank you.

Renegade
08-09-06, 21:59
Have respect for which people? :confused:

Travis is a good personal friend of mine. Highly respected by me, thank you.

We are on the same side here.

I took offense to the labels [other] people were trying to apply to BW folks, like they were mercs and would switch sides if the pay was better, or were rent-a-cops like at Wal-Mart, offense/defense like a football player, etc.

blackwind
08-10-06, 00:31
Merc is a very irreverent term to use for the likes of BW contractors. Most of which have served proudly along with many of the rest of us. They serve a legitimate purpose and address needs that both military and civilian police can’t or won’t cover at any given time. They augment very well in many ways where the need comes up.

SIMPLYDYNAMIC
08-10-06, 03:15
Labeling someone as a Merc basically denies them as a Patriot... being as Mercs dont fight for a cause...pretty much just money. But you have to keep in mind that approximatly 50-probably upwards to 70% of the nations contractors overseas are also active reservists or national gaurdsman, or have some direct link with the US MILITARY and are very patriotic and are there for the American agenda and not just there own....you dont see that to much in South Africa huh?

On a personal note.... due to the amount of patriotisom that runs through my veins....if someone were to call me a MERC to my face.... well then I would probably treat them like a terrorist.

bigthicket
08-10-06, 10:05
Very good read, thanks for posting it here.

John_Wayne777
08-11-06, 07:13
I wonder how much longer BW will be available to civies.

I have never heard even any rumbles of them ceasing to offer training to civilians.

John_Wayne777
08-11-06, 07:23
We are on the same side here.

I took offense to the labels [other] people were trying to apply to BW folks, like they were mercs and would switch sides if the pay was better, or were rent-a-cops like at Wal-Mart, offense/defense like a football player, etc.

They *ARE* security guards.

When I say the word Wackenhutt, people instantly think of the security guard at the mall who is 90 and who is armed only with a radio with dead batteries.

What they don't know about are the Wackenhutt employees who guard the Savannah Nuclear Weapons facility, and who are armed with machine guns, Blackhawk helicopters, and have full legal right to shoot you if you trespass. They even have federal arrest powers on the property they protect.

They are security guards too. It is a description of function, not an insult. The guys at the Savannah facility are security guards...they are also highly trained, highly motivated, and incredibly professional. Their SRT is one of the finest tac-type teams in the nation, and if you ever watch them in action taking down a building, it is almost like poetry in motion. They are that good.

The BW contractors protect personnel and installations they are asked to protect by the Iraqi government or by the DOD. They do not conduct offensive operations. If Osama Bin Laden showed up and could pay double what the Iraqi government could and offered the BW contractors a new job, they wouldn't consider his offer.

They would shoot him.

They aren't mercenaries. They are people who have mostly served our nation in uniform and are now serving a needed function in dangerous areas in support of our nation's goals and in support of protecting people from a bunch of towel-headed suicide-bombing nutcases who want absolute power.

Calling the BW contractors security guards is not an insult. It is a description of what they do. They guard installations and personnel, offer consulting services to help people enhance security, etc.

Calling them mercenaries, on the other hand, doesn't go over well with them. And for good reason...

John_Wayne777
08-11-06, 07:27
On a personal note.... due to the amount of patriotisom that runs through my veins....if someone were to call me a MERC to my face.... well then I would probably treat them like a terrorist.

By "treat them like a terrorist" does that mean you would give them the standard ten second head start, or only five?

John_Wayne777
08-11-06, 07:33

A video taken out of context can appear like a lot of things to people who don't know better.

The person shooting the rifle in that video was guarding a facility that was under attack by Al Sadr's band of merry martyrs. He was picking them off at long range so he didn't have to try and shoot it out with them inside the building where their superior numbers could have easily overhelmed him. By dropping them 500 yards away, they were kept from overrunning his position and killing him or taking him hostage.

That's called self defense, and it was done in response to Al Sadr's milita attacking US installations. Najaf was not a pleasant place to be at the time.

I just wish he had more targets to shoot at....Al Sadr's militia is responsible for a fair ammount of violence and for taking over neighborhoods in Baghdad. It is a darn shame the US let him and his little army walk out of that mosque they had them cornered in.

They should have killed every last one of them.