View Full Version : Gen3 FDE 19 overcoming slide lock

Jerik1m4
05-18-13, 23:10
So the gist of it is, I picked up a FDE gen3 19
And have over the past 4 months or so put around
Maybe 500-600 rounds through this gun. Around 3
Weeks ago I was teaching a class and was demonstrating
"Power stroking" when I noticed the slide felt funny, almost
Like it went too far forward. I racked it again and it felt fine.
So I got it home cleared it and sat racking it several times
And every so often noticed it did the same thing. This time
I decided to try something and pressed the trigger, the slide
Hit the floor...

So figuring it was the slide lock or slide lock spring I eventually
Ordered a factory replacement from glockmeister. It arrived
And installed without a problem, I did an initial function check
And fired around 20rds through no problem. While still at the range
I decided to "dry rack" it and it ended up doing the same thing
Like it would jump past the slide lock like I was trying to take it apart.
I have an older Austrian marked 19 and a new gen4 26 that I've
Been carrying instead that have been 100%. I was going to give glock a call sometime this
Coming week.
Has anyone had a similar or heard of something similar happening?

kodiakpb
05-18-13, 23:26
Is the slide lock on backwards?

kantstudien
05-19-13, 02:34

This. More than likely the slide lock was installed backwards. Also check the slide lock spring for tension or replace it.

Littlelebowski
05-19-13, 06:08

The answer.

Robb Jensen
05-19-13, 09:43
This. More than likely the slide lock was installed backwards. Also check the slide lock spring for tension or replace it.

Could be the groove/notch should be facing away from the muzzle. Also check to make sure the slide lock spring isn't dragging in it channel on polymer. Once in a great while you have to scrap off a tiny bit of the over-flashing of polymer from when it was molded using an X-Acto knife.

Also make sure you have G19 Gen3 slide spring which has a different part no. than the G19 Gen4.

Jerik1m4
05-19-13, 20:42

I checked, it is installed correctly. It may be
The spring is scrapping like Robb said. I'll have
To check that. I shot it some more today and
No problems...it was just weird..maybe the part
Settle in...maybe I should use this as an excuse
To buy an HK P30... :-)

Rifleman_04
05-20-13, 08:36
My gen4 19 did that.

I did the same thing when I figured out what was happening I pulled the trigger and the slide fell in the dirt.

I did some eyeballing and figured out it was the double captured slide spring tripping it when cycling so I just swapped it for a gen3 recoil spring and guide rod with the conversion bushing from glockparts.com and the problem went away.

RHINOWSO
05-20-13, 08:49
Maybe I should use this as an excuse
To buy an HK P30... :-)
FTW!!!

Rifleman_04
05-20-13, 08:58
FTW!!!

X2.

I'm about to pitch mine. This glock has tested my patience, even after swapping factory glock parts (including ejector), three different extractors(including the apex kit) it still pegs me very forcefully in the forehead and occasionally gives a stovepipe.

Trajan
05-20-13, 15:19
X2.

I'm about to pitch mine. This glock has tested my patience, even after swapping factory glock parts (including ejector), three different extractors(including the apex kit) it still pegs me very forcefully in the forehead and occasionally gives a stovepipe.

Have you tried +P/NATO? My Gen 4s will hit me in the head with S&B regular 124 on occasion, but not with the full powered stuff (124 +p or NATO, and 147 regular)

My theory: Glocks are more sensitive to ammo, and since the panic craze of 08, ammo mfgs have been pumping out ammo, leading to a decrease in QC, hence all of these issues. Especially since we have seen this issue recently in even Gen 2 Glocks. No weapon is immune from bad ammo, even H&Ks. Just make sure your SD ammo is +P, and while at the range wear your eyes and ears. Unfortunately this is reality these days. It's only going to get worse with rising material costs and each new panic due to a mass shooting or leftists taking the throne.