PDA

View Full Version : Microstamping mandated on all new models of semi-auto handguns sold in California

D. Christopher
05-18-13, 23:56
Here it is:
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/infobuls/2013-BOF-03.pdf

What is says:
Following the issuance of the Department of Justice's certification, the provisions of Penal Code section 31910, subdivision (b)(7)(A) are in immediate effect. Therefore, to be listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California, a semiautomatic pistol must be equipped with microstamping technology-i.e., a microscopic array of characters that identify the make, model, and serial number of the pistol, etched or otherwise imprinted in two or more places on the interior surface or internal working parts of the pistol, and that are transferred by imprinting on each cartridge case when the firearm is fired. (Pen. Code,§ 31910, subd. (b)(7)(A).) Semiautomatic pistols already listed on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California will remain on the roster and need not incorporate the microstamping technology provided that the firearms comply with Penal Code sections 32015, 32020, and 32030.

What does all this mean?
If a semi-auto pistol is not already on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California, then it will have to incorporate microstamping technology. This means much fewer new models of semi-auto pistols will be available in California and almost certainly they will be more expensive. Should drive up prices all around I would imagine.

For those unlucky few that eventually end up with with one of these mythical "microstamping pistols" (They don't currently exist outside of laboratories), don't forget to police your brass unless you want your fingerprints AND the make, model, and serial number of your new California pistol showing up at multiple crime scenes. Because I can assure you that even the dumbest of criminals are smarter than your Attorney General.

On a related note, I predict a price increase for replacement firing pins, sandpaper, steel wool, grinders, and files. Better get them now before the panic buying starts.

Iraqgunz
05-19-13, 00:08
Hopefully firearms sales will cease sales altogether to California. Maybe then something will change. The funny thing is that anyone smart person can defeat all of their nonsense with a few dollars and about 10 minutes.

JoshNC
05-19-13, 00:18
Hopefully firearms sales will cease sales altogether to California. Maybe then something will change. The funny thing is that anyone smart person can defeat all of their nonsense with a few dollars and about 10 minutes.

Agreed. Manufacturers and dealers should just cease selling all firearms, firearms accessories/parts, and ammo in CA. No more support for LE in the state. Nothing for ANYONE.

Freedom loving Californians should leave for states that still value the Constitution.

Let the liberal hoplophobes running the state reap what they sow.

Iraqgunz
05-19-13, 00:45
I hate to say this as I grew up in California. But, if the manufacturers fall for this nonsense and it causes a price increase across the board or a bunch of other nonsense I will be pissed.

It's no different than a magazine or "assault weapons" ban. Same category of stupid.

I think that the legislation was passed and signed because they know the technology doesn't work and it's another way to stop the citizens from getting weapons.

Agreed. Manufacturers and dealers should just cease selling all firearms, firearms accessories/parts, and ammo in CA. No more support for LE in the state. Nothing for ANYONE.

Freedom loving Californians should leave for states that still value the Constitution.

Let the liberal hoplophobes running the state reap what they sow.

jpmuscle
05-19-13, 00:58
I hate to say this as I grew up in California. But, if the manufacturers fall for this nonsense and it causes a price increase across the board or a bunch of other nonsense I will be pissed.

It's no different than a magazine or "assault weapons" ban. Same category of stupid.

I think that the legislation was passed and signed because they know the technology doesn't work and it's another way to stop the citizens from getting weapons.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Glock a supporting entity way back when NY created that whole now defunct fired casing nonsense? Not microstamping per se (although NY has pushed that in recent years) but still.

I don't see manufacture support being outside the realm of possibility if there is a bit of Quid pro qua going on.

Army Chief
05-19-13, 07:49
I'm left to wonder about the intellect levels of the legislators who actually vote these things in. Forgetting for a moment their strong idealogical biases, there is nothing about this new law that will mitigate criminal conduct. If anything, this micro-stamping nonsense will only make it worse ("my spent casings from the range ended up where, officer?").

You can't strip evil intentions from the human heart by restricting access to arms. I have no idea where we as a nation got a contrary impression, but it is a dangerous fallacy unsupported by any objective measure of fact. In reality, the inverse happens to be true, as criminals tend not to thrive very long or very well against a well-armed populace. Not exactly rocket science ...

AC

Hmac
05-19-13, 08:03
I suspect California legislators don't care about the practicality of this mandate, nor its effect on firearms availability. Likely, they'd be just fine with it if mfgrs just stopped selling in their state. Probably giving Bloomberg ideas.

Do the police in California have to have their guns equipped with this microstamping stuff too? Are they beholden to the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California"?

rojocorsa
05-19-13, 11:24
Hell no.

The police don't have to worry about stuff like that. They don't have bullet buttons either (nor do I see them with 10 rnd mags). They might as well be a privileged class here.

SeriousStudent
05-19-13, 11:31
I'm left to wonder about the intellect levels of the legislators who actually vote these things in. Forgetting for a moment their strong idealogical biases, there is nothing about this new law that will mitigate criminal conduct. If anything, this micro-stamping nonsense will only make it worse ("my spent casings from the range ended up where, officer?").

AC

Absolutely this. Save a receipt from a range that does not allow you to police your brass. Voila, reasonable doubt.

But as AC and the others have pointed out, logic and reason have nothing to do with this law.

TriviaMonster
05-19-13, 11:42

I'm glad someone ****ing said it.

Can't wait until they mandate remote shut off guns. Bloomberg will turn your gun off with a button all the way from his hooker filled apartment.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Zane1844
05-19-13, 11:44
I am feeling safer daily!

Though honestly, I will never, ever, look back on this shitty state. Hopefully the Peoples Republik's Secret Internal Police Force do not bust down my door to take my "assault weapons" for whatever reason they can fathom.

gunrunner505
05-19-13, 12:28

You can't strip evil intentions from the human heart by restricting access to arms. I have no idea where we as a nation got a contrary impression, but it is a dangerous fallacy unsupported by any objective measure of fact. In reality, the inverse happens to be true, as criminals tend not to thrive very long or very well against a well-armed populace. Not exactly rocket science ...

AC

This was my thought exactly. All it takes is one tool bag to scoop up some brass from the range and then go rob that liquor store with his illegal non micro stamped gun. Great idea guys.

If these "lawmakwers" put as much effort into actually putting the criminals away as they do inventing was to hassle non criminals, think of how far along we'd be.....

VooDoo6Actual
05-19-13, 12:49
Here's a novel & simple concept.

Enforce the existing laws on the books w/ the max penalties so that society sees examples of Justice applying to all those whom break the law. That way mentoring / leadership will set the example / standards of ROL instead of using / manipulating selective enforcement of existing laws to buy votes to advance another agenda. As examples, Enforce NICS BG checks & incarcerate ALL the perpetrators, enforce our existing Immigration Laws that we as a society of our peers voted for & passed by our elected representatives instead of NOT allowing our existing CBP/ICE/DHS etc. to enforce them.

Peshawar
05-19-13, 13:23
Pretty sure this new craptastic law is meant to prevent new models of handguns for being approved for sale in CA. I don't believe (could be wrong, been avoiding looking at the fine wording to keep my blood pressure at safe levels), that this means that currently approved models can no longer be sold. It just makes it that much harder for new models to be approved and listed on "the roster". At least, that's what I'm hoping.

As for the folks saying that no manufacturers should sell guns or gun parts to CA. I don't agree with this. At all. It's letting the terrorists win. We gun owners in CA are indeed a minority. We are surrounded, and under siege. Having manufacturers cut us off is EXACTLY what these legislators want. Don't let them win. Flooding CA with stuff would be a more useful tactic, really. I'm here because this is where movies are made, and that's my line of work. If I could live elsewhere, I would. But for now I'm here, and that's just the way it is. By cutting off people like me, who really wins? Just my opinion.

nml
05-19-13, 13:37
Agency sales are to blame. If manufacturers and distributors only sold what was legal in the state you wouldn't have DC, NY, NJ, CA and others instituting these BS laws.

Belmont31R
05-19-13, 13:50
Pretty sure this new craptastic law is meant to prevent new models of handguns for being approved for sale in CA. I don't believe (could be wrong, been avoiding looking at the fine wording to keep my blood pressure at safe levels), that this means that currently approved models can no longer be sold. It just makes it that much harder for new models to be approved and listed on "the roster". At least, that's what I'm hoping.

As for the folks saying that no manufacturers should sell guns or gun parts to CA. I don't agree with this. At all. It's letting the terrorists win. We gun owners in CA are indeed a minority. We are surrounded, and under siege. Having manufacturers cut us off is EXACTLY what these legislators want. Don't let them win. Flooding CA with stuff would be a more useful tactic, really. I'm here because this is where movies are made, and that's my line of work. If I could live elsewhere, I would. But for now I'm here, and that's just the way it is. By cutting off people like me, who really wins? Just my opinion.

Its starving the beast and holding them to the same standards as they hold you.

If all you can buy is 10rd mags then that is all that will be sold to the agencies there.

Zane1844
05-19-13, 13:59

If all you can buy is 10rd mags then that is all that will be sold to the agencies there.

I think they should regulate what the criminals and gangsters have. Oh wait, they can't and don't....

A lot of the Police here, also feel that they are separate and are higher up than us mere peasants.

Peshawar
05-19-13, 14:20

That's just it though. It's not starving the beast by allowing them to win. It's FEEDING the beast. Remember, they consider reducing the number of legally obtained firearms to be progress. Their metrics are not based on crime reduction, but instead a reduction in sales volume to the citizenry.

Kfgk14
05-19-13, 14:25
I give it two years before the lack in reduction of violence prompts them to launch an outright ban on all handguns, or require they weigh more than 5 pounds, or have a unique key for each gun to release its magazine, or some other retardedness...or maybe they'll make the inevitable RFID chip leap...
God are we ****ed as a society...

Ouroborous
05-19-13, 14:32
I think they should regulate what the criminals and gangsters have. Oh wait, they can't and don't....

A lot of the Police here, also feel that they are separate and are higher up than us mere peasants.

Until they get rid of the LE exemption allowing purchase of "off roster" weapons and "assault rifles" for on and off duty purposes, they will continue to tow the line.

The libtard politicians don't give a shit though. They don't even want assault rifles in the possession of off duty police officers and allegedly require all weapons purchased by individual LEO's to be "turned in" after retirement (which is never enforced).

If they closed that loophole, then CA LEO's might actually speak out on behalf of the citizenry of which they are a part.

http://www.guns.com/2012/01/09/california-police-officers-own-7600-assault-weapons-what-are-they-used-for/

DreadPirateMoyer
05-19-13, 15:46
I think this has been said, but just to reiterate, the goal of this law is not to make society safer with traceable brass. The goal is to effectively ban handguns without explicitly banning handguns (since that's illegal according to SCOTUS).

If you can't ban it, regulate it until it's realistically impossible to be bought (legally).

Belmont31R
05-19-13, 19:58
That's just it though. It's not starving the beast by allowing them to win. It's FEEDING the beast. Remember, they consider reducing the number of legally obtained firearms to be progress. Their metrics are not based on crime reduction, but instead a reduction in sales volume to the citizenry.

Only selling state agencies what their residents can buy won't affect what's available to you. You're already living under those rules. ??

Peshawar
05-19-13, 20:59
Only selling state agencies what their residents can buy won't affect what's available to you. You're already living under those rules. ??

I'm sorry. I think I misinterpreted your stance. I thought you were in the camp of believing that it's best to choke off ALL firearm sales to CA. Apologies.

Belmont31R
05-19-13, 21:03
I'm sorry. I think I misinterpreted your stance. I thought you were in the camp of believing that it's best to choke off ALL firearm sales to CA. Apologies.

The principle is to not sell anything that ordinary citizens cannot buy.

Peshawar
05-19-13, 21:15
The principle is to not sell anything that ordinary citizens cannot buy.

Yes, thank you for the clarification. I'm tracking now. That's definitely better than what I had thought you meant. :p However, and this is the sad truth: the policies put forth by the gun grabbers aren't exactly unpopular. Ignorance and fear about firearms runs strong and deep here in CA. Media feeds those fears and polarizes the masses in order to sell advertising space. The gullible are trained to react emotionally, rather than use their critical thinking skills and really weight the arguments. Media outlets knowingly conflate propaganda with journalism to make a quick buck. I don't know that placing firearm and magazine restrictions to LEO's will have any effect on the tide of legislation, even if they were to reverse course and begin supporting our way of thinking. The antis are largely in their stance because they're playing politician, not because the anti argument is a stronger one. Without that popular support, I don't know if we're going to be able to reverse course.

Belmont31R
05-19-13, 21:28
I know. I lived in Cali 18 of 19 years before I left for the mil and that 19th year was when I was six and we moved for a year. Only been back for like 2 weeks total since then. Miss the beach and all that but saw the writing on the wall.