PDA

View Full Version : Stock swap

wtheesfeld
05-19-13, 15:09
I have a colt carbine with adjustable stock and I want to switch to an a1 stock. What tool do I need?

Also I already have the detent for the buffer in there, so all I need will be the rifle length buffer tube, spring, buffer, and stock, correct?

I have a mt6400 carbine, will changing the buffer tube spring and buffer cause any operational issues?

Thanks I'm kind of confused!

SPM14430
05-19-13, 19:29
I have a colt carbine with adjustable stock and I want to switch to an a1 stock. What tool do I need?

You will need a spanner wrench to remove the castle nut on your existing buffer tube

To install the new rifle buffer tube, an adjustable wrench will do nicely

Also I already have the detent for the buffer in there, so all I need will be the rifle length buffer tube, spring, buffer, and stock, correct?

This is correct. With an A1 stock you will not need the stock spacer. Just be sure you have an A1 length stock screw

I have a mt6400 carbine, will changing the buffer tube spring and buffer cause any operational issues?

As long as you use a rifle buffer and spring with the A1 stock, everything should cycle perfectly

Good luck!

wtheesfeld
05-19-13, 19:35
Thanks for the reply ! I think I have to settle for an a2 for now, if I get the tube ,spring ,buffer and stock, do I need to find a spacer anywhere? I'm getting the tube ,spring ,buffer and stock off of a colt sporter

Ill need the spanner, and where can I order the stock screw(?) and spacer?

SPM14430
05-20-13, 00:09
Thanks for the reply ! I think I have to settle for an a2 for now, if I get the tube ,spring ,buffer and stock, do I need to find a spacer anywhere? I'm getting the tube ,spring ,buffer and stock off of a colt sporter

Ill need the spanner, and where can I order the stock screw(?) and spacer?

If you're getting the stock off a Colt Sporter, all components should come with it (just double check).

The parts can also order the parts from Brownells.

Just a word of advice, dont settle for an A2 stock if you're set on an A1. The A1 length of pull is more comfortable (for most) if you shoot squared up to the target. A2 is meant for a bladed stance.

wtheesfeld
05-20-13, 08:15
Spotter stock fell through

Should i order m16a1 parts or ar15a1 parts? Is there a difference?

JonnyVain
05-20-13, 08:22
Make sure the bolt in the top of the buttplate is for the A1. If you put an A2 bolt in there, the BCG won't travel all the way back. ETA: Someone already said it.

Not sure about ar15 vs M16. There IS a difference with buffer tubes - commercial vs mil-spec.

http://cavalryarms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CA&Product_Code=C1&Category_Code=AFZ

wtheesfeld
05-20-13, 09:27
I have a "mil spec" m4 (colt)
Unfortunately I am having trouble finding complete kits and I'm really anal about quality parts I don't want garbage, want to be sure everything is spec

justin_247
05-20-13, 09:52
Installing an A1 or A2 stock is incredibly easy.

You can get a good, in-spec, stock from LMT or BCM. BCM sells a kit, but LMT will just sell you the stock assembly itself, at which point you'll still need the extension, spacer, spring, and buffer.

Mine is from LMT - very nice.

wtheesfeld
05-20-13, 10:49
Bcm doesn't show any a1 or a2 stocks on their site, as well as no rifle length buffer tubes, and lmt doesn't show any either and is also not accepting orders because of "the state of the gun industry"

Brownells is out of stock, specialized armament is out of stock, and numrich has everything except the tubes.

(Also numrich offers m16a1 parts as well as ar15a1 parts and I don't know which is better)

justin_247
05-20-13, 12:14
Bcm doesn't show any a1 or a2 stocks on their site, as well as no rifle length buffer tubes, and lmt doesn't show any either and is also not accepting orders because of "the state of the gun industry"

Brownells is out of stock, specialized armament is out of stock, and numrich has everything except the tubes.

(Also numrich offers m16a1 parts as well as ar15a1 parts and I don't know which is better)

They're all out of stock, for now, but BCM and LMT do have them:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-AR15-M16-A2-Rifle-Stock-Kit-p/stock%20a2%20kit%20-%20black.htm
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Receiver-Extension-for-M16-Rifle-p/receiver%20extension%20m16%20rifle.htm
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Rifle-Buffer-M16-AR15-p/buffer%20rifle.htm
http://www.lmtstore.com/bolts-carriers-groups/buttstocks/lmp291a.html

Stag also makes a good kit if you can find them.

Wait a few months and everything will be back in stock, eventually.

JonnyVain
05-20-13, 12:54
I posted before but you may have missed the link:

http://cavalryarms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CA&Product_Code=C1&Category_Code=AFZ

I own a Cav Arms A1 stock. It's good, just your basic rifle stock.

markm
05-20-13, 13:16
Those C1 stocks are pretty sketchy. I've run a few.

Have you considered waiting for the Magpul Fixed Carbine stock due out soon???

JonnyVain
05-20-13, 15:43
Those C1 stocks are pretty sketchy. I've run a few.

Have you considered waiting for the Magpul Fixed Carbine stock due out soon???

What happened to your C1?

wtheesfeld
05-20-13, 16:32
Apex had all the parts I need milsurp ill try them, got the a1 and ill keep waiting for a CS stock, but what is this magpul fixed? I haven't heard anything about it

markm
05-21-13, 08:22
What happened to your C1?

Where the stock screw goes in... in the buttplate. It's pretty weak. You could rip the stock off the gun if your sling snagged somthing really hard.

I don't have a C1 on a gun anymore. I picked up some old M16 stocks with no trap door instead.

Apex had all the parts I need milsurp ill try them, got the a1 and ill keep waiting for a CS stock, but what is this magpul fixed? I haven't heard anything about it

I'm bound by honor to say anything. But if you google "magpul fixed carbine stock" There's pics and videos of it from the NRA show.

wtheesfeld
05-21-13, 09:21
Where the stock screw goes in... in the buttplate. It's pretty weak. You could rip the stock off the gun if your sling snagged somthing really hard.

I don't have a C1 on a gun anymore. I picked up some old M16 stocks with no trap door instead.

I'm bound by honor to say anything. But if you google "magpul fixed carbine stock" There's pics and videos of it from the NRA show.

Is there some reason you opted for the no trapdoor butt plates? I ordered an m16a1 stock and an a2 but plate with trapdoor, am I missing something?

markm
05-21-13, 09:36
Is there some reason you opted for the no trapdoor butt plates? I ordered an m16a1 stock and an a2 but plate with trapdoor, am I missing something?

Not really... I just don't need the storage, and it was what I could find for a reasonable price in an A1 Length stock.