PDA

View Full Version : Credentials / Resume do not equal competence when it comes to firearms (PIC)...

a0cake
05-19-13, 21:05
Look what this IDIOT friend of mine just put up on Facebook. It pains me to use the word friend. Embarrassment by association.

The sad part? He's SOF. I won't tell you which branch or which unit to save any others the shame.

ETA: In case it's unclear this is somewhat tongue in cheek. The guy is a buddy. It's okay to call your friends dumbasses if they're being dumbasses.

The colored lines are there for a reason.

http://i.imgur.com/7gB0eq1.jpg

Belmont31R
05-19-13, 21:10
Be amazed at how many people, even smart guys, have ****ed up setups. I fixed a friends gun with backwards sights, ect, and he started his own successful company.

A lot of guys just don't pay it any attention. Just like a little broom we keep. Never think about it.

Sensei
05-19-13, 21:14
We have seen this before…

JoshNC
05-19-13, 21:59
That's not an Eotech is it? I think it is a cheap Asian holographic site. And if so, it's not on backwards, it is just more whipcream on the turd, so to speak.

a0cake
05-19-13, 22:00
That's not an Eotech is it? I think it is a cheap Asian holographic site. And if so, it's not on backwards, it is just more whipcream on the turd, so to speak.

I wondered that myself (if it wasn't actually backwards) and decided it didn't really make a difference.

Larry Vickers
05-19-13, 22:04
It is a cheap Airsoft quality Eotech half ass knockoff- I just had a student with one in a basic class about a month ago and it laid down faster than a cheap hooker

CoryCop25
05-19-13, 22:04
It's not backwards. It's a Sightmark. Cost is about $90. Had one on my M&P15-22. It's junk....

a0cake
05-19-13, 22:09
I can't believe they'd copy the look of an EOTECH and then make it backwards. People are crazy.

Either way the dude is still way out there when it comes to guns. I'm tempted to post some of the gun related posts he makes, but I don't want to be gratuitously shaming a well-intentioned guy who happens to have a low firearms IQ. It's cringeworthy stuff though.

SomeOtherGuy
05-19-13, 22:12
So next time I see a POS garage assembler of AR15s claim that their rifle is used by SOF members, they may not technically be lying?

jpmuscle
05-19-13, 22:17
Ha funny to say the least.

D. Christopher
05-19-13, 23:00
SOF = Special Olympics Forces :blink:

theblackknight
05-19-13, 23:04
OP, can he out shoot you?

Larry Vickers
05-19-13, 23:25
Ok what is his MOS ? I mean what exactly does he do in 'SOF' ?

There are many skill sets in SOF - I mean there are cooks and mechanics assigned to SOF units; technically they are soldiers assigned to SOF

Just trying to get clarification - I'm hoping we don't have to do an Intervention !!!

a0cake
05-19-13, 23:55
Ok what is his MOS ? I mean what exactly does he do in 'SOF' ?

There are many skill sets in SOF - I mean there are cooks and mechanics assigned to SOF units; technically they are soldiers assigned to SOF

Just trying to get clarification - I'm hoping we don't have to do an Intervention !!!

He's not a support guy. :fie:

And I should also clarify -- the guy is my buddy and my calling him an idiot and whatnot is somewhat tongue in cheek. He's just hopeless when it comes to firearms and it hasn't clicked for him yet despite some nudging. I think I'll probably give him a call tomorrow and explain just what the problem is. People get this idea that just because two pieces of equipment look alike they must be the same in reality. Unless one has a good firearms knowledge-base already, being in a pretty squared away unit won't necessarily correct the deficiency.

I also kind of regret posting this now because it might make the vast majority of squared away people in the community look bad by association. That wasn't my point either. It's just so absurd that it borders on funny to see the guy gushing over a POS rifle. He did it with a cheapo Savage bolt gun last month too. Guess I really have to be frank with him before he wastes any more money.

a0cake
05-20-13, 00:16
OP, can he out shoot you?

Our pistols are close but I've got him by a long shot with any kind of rifle.

Plus, next time we get together I can always just give his optic a good hard open-handed smack and put myself ahead of the game.

Koshinn
05-20-13, 00:28
Plus, next time we get together I can always just give his optic a good hard open-handed smack and put myself ahead of the game.

Or breathe on it. That'd probably put it out of commission too.

At my FOB, some Afghanis were selling "aimpoints." My CO was at the table looking at them and he considered buying it. I was like, sir, it's a knock off, it'll fail after a few rounds and be a waste of money, not to mention dangerous to you. He asked how I knew... It actually looked pretty good from the outside. I told him that aimpoints don't have green dots. He wasn't the only guy buying knock off weapon accessories from the LNs.

I have to ask, why are the colored lines there? To mask a reverse image search?

theblackknight
05-20-13, 01:28
I just don't know why this is really a thing. Is a Afsoc jtac dude really gonna know or care about MPI proofing? Would the average team guy with a group or even a squadron guy know what barrel steel is on his rifle?

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Iraqgunz
05-20-13, 03:14
Having spoken with and worked alongside many former SOF personnel (AFSOC, SEAL's, MARSOC, SF, Delta, etc... ) there are many of them who will tell you that they know tactics, weapons manipulation/handling, shooting, etc... but they don't always know the nuts and bolts.

My old country manager and his deputy used to say that they don't know it all which is why they have qualified and knowledgeable armorers that they pay money for.

ClearedHot
05-20-13, 06:14
Backward optics seem to be a trend lately...

Official NSW released photo featuring a ST1 member with an Elcan Specter DR installed backwards.

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/9833/slide2950422399975free.jpg

Littlelebowski
05-20-13, 06:45
So many people forget that there's more to being high speed low drag than shooting. Most of the job isn't shooting. Yet there's still people running around bragging about "outshooting SOF guys at so and so's class."

currahee
05-20-13, 06:57
We have seen this before…

The scary thing about this is that it looks like a real situation, rather than a posed pic. Since such a weapons check as basic as LOOKING THROUGH THE SIGHTS before use obviously isn't even SOP, you wonder how many cops are out there with un zeroed weapons.

We had a cop come to a match once with an EO on his weapon and he didn't even know how to turn it on, I guess he thought is was just a big ass ghost ring? Had to DQ him for not being able to hit the berm.

Sensei
05-20-13, 07:11
The scary thing about this is that it looks like a real situation, rather than a posed pic. Since such a weapons check as basic as LOOKING THROUGH THE SIGHTS before use obviously isn't even SOP, you wonder how many cops are out there with un zeroed weapons.

It is real. The pic comes from an upstate NY police agency during a SWAT call-out. Needless to say, it made its rounds on the internet and I'm sure that the officer (and his buddy manning the shotgun like a M240) is still trying to live it down.

C4IGrant
05-20-13, 07:16
I still remember when LAV and I had a convo about how many "gun guys" there are in the Military (specifically in Tier 1 or 2 units). The number was LOW, real low.

For awhile, I thought everyone in a Tier 1 or 2 unit was just like Hackathorn, LAV, etc and that they were just screwing with me. Then I started talking to these guys (training, helping with gear and guns, etc) and I quickly learned that the MAJORITY of them are NOT gun guys.

In their defense, they are handed their weapon (don't have to build it, modify it do hours of research on what gear to use). So while we find the pic amusing, we have to understand the world they come from.

C4

theblackknight
05-20-13, 09:29
Backward optics seem to be a trend lately...

Official NSW released photo featuring a ST1 member with an Elcan Specter DR installed backwards.

http://imageshack.us/a/img14/9833/slide2950422399975free.jpg

It's the "HK"!:D It's way better then planking I'd say.
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/HKbulletsBackwards.jpg

You can swap the normal M4 buttstock around backwards cant you? Im gonna start that one.

sadmin
05-20-13, 09:43
Not to sideline too far but if its OK to ask - what is a typical shooting regiment for SF? I assume it differs per group, but is there a default amount of shooting that happens per mo.? It would seem like if you shot a ton, you would start to notice what failed and upgrade those parts on your own rifle. Thats a big assumption on my part though, and I mean nothing foul by it...im just curious.

My good friend is SF and his personal AR is a Stag with Tapco galore. He couldnt care less; speaks 3 languages, graduated college in 3 years, and is a PT beast though.

JoshNC
05-20-13, 10:01
I can't believe they'd copy the look of an EOTECH and then make it backwards. People are crazy.

Either way the dude is still way out there when it comes to guns. I'm tempted to post some of the gun related posts he makes, but I don't want to be gratuitously shaming a well-intentioned guy who happens to have a low firearms IQ. It's cringeworthy stuff though.

A good buddy of mine had one on his rifle. It is absolute junk. His went TU about half way through a 3-gun match. Pure unadulterated garbage.

JSantoro
05-20-13, 10:02
You can swap the normal M4 buttstock around backwards cant you? Im gonna start that one.

Great. Just great.

I've got one of those, and now I simply HAVE to try it. :mad:

markm
05-20-13, 10:48
So many people forget that there's more to being high speed low drag than shooting. Most of the job isn't shooting. Yet there's still people running around bragging about "outshooting SOF guys at so and so's class."

Whatever! :rolleyes:

All you do is get a helo ride.... Drop in. Shoot up a bunch of people, and leave.

theblackknight
05-20-13, 11:02
I knew it! All that time working on FID, learning languages, giving locals expert medical care and helping build infrastructure is just the pony show to get more ammo!:D

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Endur
05-21-13, 03:25
The same goes for line infantry.. It would be a novel of all the fail I have seen with weapons and gear.

I knew one dude who had all this on his M4: a redimag, tan EOtech 553, a Surefire M900L, TangoDown Bipod and I believe some goofy looking CAA stock. All that plus a PEQ-4. He kit was junk too; he had one of those Spec-Ops 8 mag chest rigs ziptied to his IOTV with a bunch of Raine pouches attached and he had it mounted all the way up at the top of his IOTV right under his chin (like that would never go wrong), a Condor molle hydration carrier that was faded pinkish/purple etc. On top of an M4 that weighed as much as a SAW he carried 12 black P-Mags with white (that's right white) 550 pulls out of the bottom mag plates. It was nothing but fail. Pogues (no offense) were even worse.

The_War_Wagon
05-21-13, 05:51

And I should also clarify -- the guy is my buddy and my calling him an idiot and whatnot is somewhat tongue in cheek. He's just hopeless when it comes to firearms and it hasn't clicked for him yet despite some nudging. I think I'll probably give him a call tomorrow and explain just what the problem is. People get this idea that just because two pieces of equipment look alike they must be the same in reality. Unless one has a good firearms knowledge-base already, being in a pretty squared away unit won't necessarily correct the deficiency.

I also kind of regret posting this now because it might make the vast majority of squared away people in the community look bad by association. That wasn't my point either. It's just so absurd that it borders on funny to see the guy gushing over a POS rifle. He did it with a cheapo Savage bolt gun last month too. Guess I really have to be frank with him before he wastes any more money.

You've GOT to post this to SOCNET, and let THEM straighten him out. They haven't had a rib-tickling thread there in a while... ;)

Littlelebowski
05-21-13, 06:42
You've GOT to post this to SOCNET, and let THEM straighten him out. They haven't had a rib-tickling thread there in a while... ;)

This is his friend and I'm certain a0cake doesn't want to subject said friend to internet excoriation.

The_War_Wagon
05-21-13, 07:36
This is his friend and I'm certain a0cake doesn't want to subject said friend to internet excoriation.

Or evisceration! :eek: Good point!

T2C
05-21-13, 08:14

I can't disagree with your post. As a student I have met a few Federal employees who were obviously in better physical condition than most of the other students in the room.

1) They were quiet and took in everything the instructor had to say.

2) They picked the brains of the guys who were shooting really well and asked not only how, but why they applied techniques they used to shoot really well.

Sightmark? In my opinion $90 spent on a rifle optic would be better spent on cold beer.

Kchen986
05-21-13, 08:22
In the guy's defense, his specialty may be other than weapons. A lot of military dudes aren't gun-guys, and with respect to something like a JTAC, it makes sense--I'd rather him be good at his job, than be the most squared away shooter. Combined Arms and all that.

WillBrink
05-21-13, 08:51

Seems par for the course and confirmation that even as you go up the food chain, most are still not gun guys. I have a buddy who's a BTDT type of guy, been in multiple OIS, LE tac team for major PD for a decade, ex mil, schools up the yang both paid for by his PD and on his own dime, etc, etc.

Off duty he carries a Para Ord p14 with LDA trigger no less. At the range, it's a jam o matic. I have pointed that out to him, and his response is something like "it does not happen enough to be a concern" and I leave it at that.

I don't have a fraction of his training or his experience, so I don't feel I have the creds to lecture the guy, and move on.

I have forwarded to him a few times links from forums like this where those with the creds have been clear their opinion of Para, especially the p14, and he ignores them/does not respond.

And if he's not carrying his P14, it's usually a SA XDM, but we won't open that can of worms here. :eek:

Anyway, good luck with your friend. Mine is hopeless in that area.

QuietShootr
05-28-13, 10:21
Look what this IDIOT friend of mine just put up on Facebook. It pains me to use the word friend. Embarrassment by association.

The sad part? He's SOF. I won't tell you which branch or which unit to save any others the shame.

ETA: In case it's unclear this is somewhat tongue in cheek. The guy is a buddy. It's okay to call your friends dumbasses if they're being dumbasses.

The colored lines are there for a reason.

http://i.imgur.com/7gB0eq1.jpg

I was once castigated by a whole forum full of long-tabbers who were ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that a bullet that was made of super unobtanium could sense body temperature and fragment after penetrating armor, and that I had no idea what I was talking about when I said it was a moly-coated varmint bullet.

Oops.

Being a SF guy means you have a certain degree of perseverance and agility, both mental and physical. It does NOT mean you are an expert on everything having to do with shooting, ****ing, driving, or diving.

QuietShootr
05-28-13, 10:24
Not to sideline too far but if its OK to ask - what is a typical shooting regiment for SF? I assume it differs per group, but is there a default amount of shooting that happens per mo.? It would seem like if you shot a ton, you would start to notice what failed and upgrade those parts on your own rifle. Thats a big assumption on my part though, and I mean nothing foul by it...im just curious.

My good friend is SF and his personal AR is a Stag with Tapco galore. He couldnt care less; speaks 3 languages, graduated college in 3 years, and is a PT beast though.

Ah, yes. Army standards are still in full effect. If you're a PT beast, nothing else really matters.

Wake27
05-28-13, 12:57

I'd assume that varies heavily, even within the Groups themselves. Of course there's a lot more to anything SOF besides just weapons and shooting, but still, you'd think he'd realize the difference in feel of shitty plastic vs whatever issued stuff he uses.

Pogues (no offense) were even worse.

And what's the deal with everyone spelling it this way? I've seen it written like this so many times recently, but isn't it POG as in 'person other than grunt' or am I missing something?

Failure2Stop
05-28-13, 14:03
And what's the deal with everyone spelling it this way? I've seen it written like this so many times recently, but isn't it POG as in 'person other than grunt' or am I missing something?

"Pogue" is the proper spelling, and hearkens back to a rich naval tradition of buggery. It was slang, referencing the young boys that were aboard ships and served as basically slaves to the "real" sailors, with all of the implications of long years at sea that goes with the turf.
The origin of the term dates back at least to early 20th century in reference to young men that submitted to sexual advances.
Since its Naval beginnings, it has come to be used to describe non-infantry folks in general, making its way to the Army some time during the VietNam conflict.

See also "pogey bait", naval and Marine term for candy. Put two and two together and one can figure out what it means in the historical sense.

"POG" is a nonsense, made-up backronym (another made-up word for creating an acronym out of a word) by the new generation that meets with great anger and furious vengeance by those that maintain some semblance of historical accuracy and tradition.

Koshinn
05-28-13, 14:31
As far as I'm concerned, POG is passion orange guava juice. It's also a bottle cap for said juice and can be used in a game made popular in the mid 90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pog_(drink)

It's delicious.