PDA

View Full Version : How to tell the difference between plated and jacketed?

bb223
05-19-13, 22:04
I picked up a bag (plain ziplock freezer bag) of 500 .45 SWCs at an auction for $7.

The outside is copper but I don't know if it is jacketed or plated. Is there some kind of test I can do to determine what they are so I can apply the load data accordingly?

Thanks.

shootist~
05-19-13, 23:13
I picked up a bag (plain ziplock freezer bag) of 500 .45 SWCs at an auction for $7.

The outside is copper but I don't know if it is jacketed or plated. Is there some kind of test I can do to determine what they are so I can apply the load data accordingly?

Thanks.

Cut into one - plated will be very thin with the lead just underneath and easy to get to.

bb223
05-19-13, 23:24
Cut into one - plated will be very thin with the lead just underneath and easy to get to.

Yeah I figured I'd probably have to do surgery on one.

Not a big deal but do I have to section it or just try to slice into it with a knife or something?

I've used plated Berrys bullets before so I am aware that the copper coating is pretty thin on plated ones, but I never tried to take a knife to it and don't know whether or not I'd be able to "slice" into plating just by hand.

markm
05-20-13, 08:57
For .45 ACP? I've never loaded them any different. Max load listed for FMJs works fine interchangeably in my experience.

I've never heard of a real jacketed SWC. You can tell pretty easily by the wavey surface on a plated bullet that it's not a real jacket.

TomMcC
05-20-13, 10:13
Plated bullets are almost always completely covered with the plating. Jacketed almost always have some exposed lead either at the nose or base. Also plated bullets are not as smooth as jacketed.

bb223
05-20-13, 14:39
I gouged the copper coating with my el cheapo Gerber and I was able to peel it off the side pretty easily.

I figured they were plated since I first say them, but I believe Speer makes a TMJ SWC in .45 so I wanted to double check (though aren't Speer bullets plated anyways?).

Anyway thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

Ick
05-20-13, 14:57
Any way to confirm based on weight? Weigh 10 of each or something so you have a critical mass to compare....

bb223
05-20-13, 22:47
Made a few test loads.

5.0 of Titegroup and 1.275" shoots pretty sweet.

RearwardAssist
05-21-13, 00:36
Plated bullets are usually .001 Larger in diameter.

DTakas
05-21-13, 06:56
- - - - -