PDA

View Full Version : M&P question - Apex RAM and CORE 5" 9mm

Koshinn
05-19-13, 22:34
The Apex RAM says: "**PRODUCT WILL NOT WORK IN VTAC VARIANT AND SOME OF THE NEWEST M&P MODELS DUE TO CHANGE IN SEAR HOUSING BLOCK CONFIGURATION."

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid44.html

Just want to double check before I buy it. The 5" 9mm CORE I bought yesterday has the WORST reset ever. It probably isn't even half the reset of my 4.5" 9mm FS and that doesn't have a RAM. My 9C has a RAM and it's like night a day difference between the CORE and it, so ... yeah, just want to know if anyone else has tried it.

jpmuscle
05-19-13, 23:05
It worked in my buddy's recently purchased 5" CORE, the FSS kit not so much though.

I haven't looked it over first hand be he said the SHB was different on the CORES and the FSS kit was a no go but the RAM worked. Also the RAM was a no go in his and mine 09/12 production fullsize 9s so from what I gather there is more than 2 SHB designs floating around it seems.

I will say I fell in love with 5" CORE, and hard. Stock trigger was really impressive, with the RAM even more so.

Koshinn
05-20-13, 00:02
It worked in my buddy's recently purchased 5" CORE, the FSS kit not so much though.

I haven't looked it over first hand be he said the SHB was different on the CORES and the FSS kit was a no go but the RAM worked. Also the RAM was a no go in his and mine 09/12 production fullsize 9s so from what I gather there is more than 2 SHB designs floating around it seems.

I will say I fell in love with 5" CORE, and hard. Stock trigger was really impressive, with the RAM even more so.

Thanks. What parts of the FSS didn't work?

I went in to my lgs yesterday and noticed the 5" core. I've been looking to add one to my collection of m&ps, but completely didn't expect them to have one in stock. Now I own 5 s&w pistols, lol.

My only complaints with it so far is the gritty trigger and complete lack of feedback for the reset. I put 50rds down range, the first 9mm I've fired in probably 4 months, and I loved it. Absolutely no buyers remorse at all.

In a perfect world, they would have modified the front stippling to match the new back strap, but no big deal.

jpmuscle
05-20-13, 00:07
Thanks. What parts of the FSS didn't work?

I went in to my lgs yesterday and noticed the 5" core. I've been looking to add one to my collection of m&ps, but completely didn't expect them to have one in stock. Now I own 5 s&w pistols, lol.

My only complaints with it so far is the gritty trigger and complete lack of feedback for the reset. I put 50rds down range, the first 9mm I've fired in probably 4 months, and I loved it. Absolutely no buyers remorse at all.

In a perfect world, they would have modified the front stippling to match the new back strap, but no big deal.

I'll follow up and get back to you. I was pretty impressed just fondling it though lol. Barrel lock up seemed excellent so I'm thinking it will be a shooter, just waiting on a Green triangle RMR to come in. As for the front strap 15 minutes and a wood burner will do wonders lol

Koshinn
05-20-13, 00:11
I'll follow up and get back to you. I was pretty impressed just fondling it though lol. Barrel lock up seemed excellent so I'm thinking it will be a shooter, just waiting on a Green triangle RMR to come in. As for the front strap 15 minutes and a wood burner will do wonders lol

IPSC production division frowns upon stippling. But it also frowns upon optics. However, I'll be running production for a while before I transition to open with this pistol, just to get a feel for it.

jpmuscle
05-22-13, 02:06
Just thinking out loud here but I'm really hoping that someone (ATEi if you see this!??) will come out with a machined steel insert to replace the CORE slide section that is milled out for the optic. It would be awesome to get a insert that is already serrated for guys that aren't running optics. After seeing dealer cost on the COREs I probably wont be bother with the base model 9s from here on out. Its too good of a cost/benefit.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-24-13, 17:22
Just thinking out loud here but I'm really hoping that someone (ATEi if you see this!??) will come out with a machined steel insert to replace the CORE slide section that is milled out for the optic. It would be awesome to get a insert that is already serrated for guys that aren't running optics. After seeing dealer cost on the COREs I probably wont be bother with the base model 9s from here on out. Its too good of a cost/benefit.

The shipping along to get the slide modified is a pain. This thread got me motivated and I finally found a 5inch in state. Don't have it yet, but looking forward to it. Really interested in how the trigger is. Kind of a trigger snob, so I'd like to see the FSS work in it.

All of these new CORE models have the new innards that allow you to add a safety, right? I'd like that for the FSS.

NEED MORE 9mm MAGS!!! It is getting close to the July deadline till I can never get 17 round mags anymore.... ;)

Is the insert for the slide plastic? Why the need for a 3rd party one- or is that just for the checkering?

jpmuscle
05-24-13, 19:05
The shipping along to get the slide modified is a pain. This thread got me motivated and I finally found a 5inch in state. Don't have it yet, but looking forward to it. Really interested in how the trigger is. Kind of a trigger snob, so I'd like to see the FSS work in it.

All of these new CORE models have the new innards that allow you to add a safety, right? I'd like that for the FSS.

NEED MORE 9mm MAGS!!! It is getting close to the July deadline till I can never get 17 round mags anymore.... ;)

Is the insert for the slide plastic? Why the need for a 3rd party one- or is that just for the checkering?

I was a fan of the stock core trigger granted it's a sample of 1. I'm not sure on the safety and fss.

Also yes the stock slide insert is polymer so my thought is an after market insert out of steel with the serrations already milled in would be a winning combo I think.

Koshinn
05-24-13, 19:55
I was a fan of the stock core trigger granted it's a sample of 1. I'm not sure on the safety and fss.

Also yes the stock slide insert is polymer so my thought is an after market insert out of steel with the serrations already milled in would be a winning combo I think.

I concur about the insert. Don't concur about the trigger. I guess I'm spoiled by Geissele and Apex.

Koshinn
05-24-13, 22:01
What's really annoying is that I have both a fss and ram nib at home waiting for me to try install them (if they don't work, I have another m&p that could use them)... But I won't be home for another week.

eternal24k
05-24-13, 22:22

exactly, I really hope other companies are paying attention. The CORE is probably the best bang for the buck pistol right now

Koshinn
05-30-13, 23:31
Ram and fss both work on my 9L CORE... But I can't get to the striker block. Apparently it needs a 1.4mm hex key/screw driver and I only have 1.3 & 1.5. So close....

jpmuscle
05-31-13, 03:01
Ram and fss both work on my 9L CORE... But I can't get to the striker block. Apparently it needs a 1.4mm hex key/screw driver and I only have 1.3 & 1.5. So close....

Ha, that's rough. :lol:

varoadking
06-01-13, 08:56
The Apex RAM says: "**PRODUCT WILL NOT WORK IN VTAC VARIANT AND SOME OF THE NEWEST M&P MODELS DUE TO CHANGE IN SEAR HOUSING BLOCK CONFIGURATION."

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid44.html

Just want to double check before I buy it. The 5" 9mm CORE I bought yesterday has the WORST reset ever. It probably isn't even half the reset of my 4.5" 9mm FS and that doesn't have a RAM. My 9C has a RAM and it's like night a day difference between the CORE and it, so ... yeah, just want to know if anyone else has tried it.

I have an APEX RAM, sear and extractor in my 5" CORE with Delta Point...everything works just fine (and it shoots to POA with the fixed sights, unlike my M&L 9L).

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-03-13, 03:08
Picked up my 5in 9mm CORE today. Pretty sweet. The grip seems different from my standard FS, there definitely is a more aggressive pattern on the grip insets.

The trigger in the CORE seems like it has a cleaner break but not as positive a reset compared to my FS with the DCAEK kit ( no RAM).

Nice trigger; it is as 'gritty' as hell to start, almost like something is dragging on the frame or something- but even that has smoothed out a lot. Just breaking it in.

In the 9mm, do the 5in CORE models use the same recoil spring as the FS??? It seems like it is recessed on the 5in and I was able to swap them back and forth. (I actually have a double spring set up on my FS and it worked when hand cycling it in the 5in Model. Seems kind of a waste not to take advantage of that extra length in recoil.

The 5in CORE slide has more material taken out of the slide (About 4mm) on the cut on the weak side that extends from behind the chamber towards the front.

Can't wait to shoot it later this week. I actually swapped my FS frame with the APEX kit and a thumb safety and an X300 light with the CORE slide. Just need to decide if I'll transfer my RMR from my FS slide to the CORE or get a new optic for the CORE slide. Any optics work better than others on the CORE. I've been really happy with the RMR, though it does hang over the edge of the slide a bit.