PDA

View Full Version : Potential trade involving a home build '74

rojocorsa
05-19-13, 22:34
A friend of mine wants to trade me his AK-74 build for one of my other rifles. (A Long Branch No.4 Enfield if you must know)

The AK is a home built on a Bulgarian or East German kit. I'm pretty sure it's Bulgarian kit and bbl, but he got the East German furniture/mags. It looks like this: (eta: this isn't the actual piece, but this is what it looks like)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l494/chrisdhoo/egrrc.jpg

Since it isn't an Arsenal (lol), what should I be looking at to ensure that it is fine? I know he has shot it a few times before and it works, but it's still a homebuild and I don't know AKs like I do ARs (in spite of my avatar).

AKs don't have chart and parts the way ARs do unfortunately. Thanks for any help.

Rojo

BTW, how easy is 5.45 to come by?

VIP3R 237
05-19-13, 22:55
My first question is if a rifle was built from a parts kit, isn't it illegal for it to be transferred unless the person who made it is a Class 7 mfg?

I also think the receiver must be engraved with all of the persons information who made it.

I could be wrong but for some reason this stands out in my mind.

EDIT: as in a 80% or bending their own receiver.

rojocorsa
05-19-13, 23:00
My first question is if a rifle was built from a parts kit, isn't it illegal for it to be transferred unless the person who made it is a Class 7 mfg?

I also think the receiver must be engraved with all of the persons information who made it.

The receiver is engraved to my knowledge. IIRC, I want to say its a Nodak Spud if it matters any.

I just don't know about AKs in detail where I could independently make this call on my own. I want to learn.

MountainRaven
05-19-13, 23:01

Unless the builder made the receiver (bent a flat or made from scratch), no.

rojocorsa
05-19-13, 23:10
Unless the builder made the receiver (bent a flat or made from scratch), no.

So then it's not an issue with the Nodak spud?

MountainRaven
05-19-13, 23:22
A friend of mine wants to trade me his AK-74 build for one of my other rifles. (A Long Branch No.4 Enfield if you must know)

The AK is a home built on a Bulgarian or East German kit. I'm pretty sure it's Bulgarian kit and bbl, but he got the East German furniture/mags. It looks like this: (eta: this isn't the actual piece, but this is what it looks like)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l494/chrisdhoo/egrrc.jpg

Since it isn't an Arsenal (lol), what should I be looking at to ensure that it is fine? I know he has shot it a few times before and it works, but it's still a homebuild and I don't know AKs like I do ARs (in spite of my avatar).

AKs don't have chart and parts the way ARs do unfortunately. Thanks for any help.

Rojo

BTW, how easy is 5.45 to come by?

If you can, I would take it to the range: The surest test is whether or not it functions. Naturally, you should offer to cover the cost of whatever ammunition is expended or supply your own. Ejection should be strong and 'forward', typically into the next county.

If not, I would do the following:

I would pop the dust cover off, take a look inside, see if anything looks wrong. Function check it (safety off, charge the weapon. Put safety on, squeeze trigger. Flip safety off, squeeze trigger again. Keeping trigger squeezed, charge the weapon again). Visually inspect the inside of the barrel (remove BCG and recoil spring guide rod assembly, of course).

The BCG should not bind overly-much on the hammer - some AKs do this more than others (Romanians seem to be the AKs that have the most while remaining completely functional).

The magazines should seat and be relatively simple and easy to remove. Test with all magazines. New magazines in a new rifle may be difficult to seat, initially, but should wear in nicely with time. With bolt removed observe how the magazines set in the rifle with the magazine seated. Some wobble is to be expected... but if magazines are difficult to seat or remove and wobble, you will probably have problems.

Sights and gas block should be straight-ish. This is mostly an aesthetic issue, but it will tell you something about the care with which the rifle was assembled. It does not need to be perfectly straight to function properly. But you may find it difficult to zero if it is not.

And bear in mind that most problems you might have, even if these do not reveal any, can be fixed. But they will probably cost you a pretty penny and take many months to have it done by the Kalashnikov guru of your choosing (assuming you want it back functioning better than when you sent it).

Provided that it was stamped by Nodak with a model- and serial number, I cannot think of a reason why it should be.

JoshNC
05-19-13, 23:28

Veering off topic, but even if it was a home made receiver, it can be sold. One cannot engage in the business of manufacturing/selling firearms if they are not an 07 FFL, but this does not preclude someone from selling or trading a firearm they built from scratch for personal use. What constitutes "business" is another matter entirely.

rojocorsa
05-19-13, 23:32
Alright. So most of the stuff you said sounds pretty straightforward.

I will keep in it mind (and perhaps I can try it out next time I see him).

My biggest concern is that I wouldn't want to end up with a Del-Ton or Bushmaster shoddy weapon, if you will.

In fact, I originally wanted an AK but I got an AR because they're more straightforward in terms of finding quality parts and the information (like this site). I couldn't find any SGLs in my area last year nor were FFLs willing to work with me; I ended up buying a stripped lower and assembling a carbine off internet parts. I am happy with that.

Thank you.

Josh NC. Good to know.

Again, I think this was on a Nodak. But suppose this is made from a flat---is there any other things I should pay attention to?

MountainRaven
05-20-13, 00:00
Again, I think this was on a Nodak. But suppose this is made from a flat---is there any other things I should pay attention to?

I don't think I would buy a gun made from a flat, unless I knew the guy who built it was damned good at doing what he does. (And if he is, why doesn't he have an 07?)

This, I must admit, is as much due to my lack of knowledge of what to look for in a build-from-flat gun as not.

In any case, the Kalashnikov FOW is pretty straight forward and simple. So long as it was put together well (which is the big question mark) from quality components (East German and Bulgarian being some of the best), you won't have a problem.

Only problem parts (and this will probably be down the road) will likely be American made.

So, the FCG (a common replacement, since the kits usually have the FA FCG pulled) is the first place you might have an issue. But they usually make it a while and there are some pretty good US-made FCGs (and even then, the Tapco G2 isn't horrible).

The second place is the barrel. If it's an original Bulgy or EGerman barrel, you should have no issues. If the barrel is American then you can run into a number of problems that will not be immediately apparent. Out of spec chamber, out of spec bore (for .224 instead of .221. this will cause rounds to keyhole), and a lack of chrome-lining. Of all of these, the lack of chrome lining is the most annoying and least important, just means you have to clean the gun more often (which, to my mind, defeats half the purpose of having an AK).

Other 922(r) parts are not likely to cause significant issues. Pistons are pretty difficult to screw up (but are typically not chrome-plated, so they'll need more TLC). Furniture is meh: Cheap and easy to replace, even if you're fond of crapco. Avoid US made magazines unless and until Magpul or US PALM introduce some for 5.45.

rojocorsa
05-20-13, 00:06
I don't think I would buy a gun made from a flat, unless I knew the guy who built it was damned good at doing what he does. (And if he is, why doesn't he have an 07?)

This, I must admit, is as much due to my lack of knowledge of what to look for in a build-from-flat gun as not.

In any case, the Kalashnikov FOW is pretty straight forward and simple. So long as it was put together well (which is the big question mark) from quality components (East German and Bulgarian being some of the best), you won't have a problem.

Only problem parts (and this will probably be down the road) will likely be American made.

So, the FCG (a common replacement, since the kits usually have the FA FCG pulled) is the first place you might have an issue. But they usually make it a while and there are some pretty good US-made FCGs (and even then, the Tapco G2 isn't horrible).

The second place is the barrel. If it's an original Bulgy or EGerman barrel, you should have no issues. If the barrel is American then you can run into a number of problems that will not be immediately apparent. Out of spec chamber, out of spec bore (for .224 instead of .221. this will cause rounds to keyhole), and a lack of chrome-lining. Of all of these, the lack of chrome lining is the most annoying and least important, just means you have to clean the gun more often (which, to my mind, defeats half the purpose of having an AK).

Other 922(r) parts are not likely to cause significant issues. Pistons are pretty difficult to screw up (but are typically not chrome-plated, so they'll need more TLC). Furniture is meh: Cheap and easy to replace, even if you're fond of crapco. Avoid US made magazines unless and until Magpul or US PALM introduce some for 5.45.

I'm aware about the warnings for US made components and stuff from my research about AKs when I first wanted one. In fact, all that BS was one of the reasons I just got a BCM upper and BCG.

I am pretty sure that the good is made from good parts and hopefully assembled correctly. I just needed to know what to look for to see that it was an acceptable build. I think I have a decent grasp on AK knowledge in general, just not the nitty gritty nuts and bolts aspect.

I want this to trade to happen, not gonna lie. I'd shit can that ugly poop brown East German furniture though. I wonder if there is demand for that at all....

MountainRaven
05-20-13, 00:21
I'm aware about the warnings for US made components and stuff from my research about AKs when I first wanted one. In fact, all that BS was one of the reasons I just got a BCM upper and BCG.

I am pretty sure that the good is made from good parts and hopefully assembled correctly. I just needed to know what to look for to see that it was an acceptable build. I think I have a decent grasp on AK knowledge in general, just not the nitty gritty nuts and bolts aspect.

I want this to trade to happen, not gonna lie. I'd shit can that ugly poop brown East German furniture though. I wonder if there is demand for that at all....

A little, but not much. My last SGL wore some East German furniture...

I put an East German unissued surplus side-folder on it and wanted something other than all black... so I picked up a set of unissued East German furniture, bought up some Bakelite Brown US PALM mags and grip, and everything actually matched up pretty well. Looked good. Wouldn't do it again, though.

Sorry.

But, yes, you should be able to sell it. Not that you're likely to make much on it... I don't seem to recall my furniture set having set me back by much and it was pretty obvious the set had never been attached to a rifle.

scottryan
05-20-13, 18:38
What condition is the No4 rifle in? Is it matching or a rusty beater?

Your question is impossible to answer without this information.

rojocorsa
05-22-13, 01:50
What condition is the No4 rifle in? Is it matching or a rusty beater?

Your question is impossible to answer without this information.

It's not matching---however, it is in prime condition. The bore is mint and the stock is clean.

But it doesn't matter, because it looks like this deal fell through. I'll keep my No.4 (I love them anyway) and just buy my own damn AK some day.