PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Grow Up With That Is Gone Forever...?

Pages : [1] 2

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 00:12
List those things that were the norm for most of your life but are now the equivalent of a horse and buggy. They exist but you don't see them very often.

1. The Video Rental store. I can remember when they didn't even exist but I wasn't even a teen yet. Our family got a VHS recorder around 1979 which was pretty early in. I remember blank video tapes costing something like $20 at first. Within a few years video rental stores were commonplace, by the end of the 80s they were as numerous as McDonalds locations. And then suddenly they were gone. The empty stores are still there in some cases, vacant due to the poor economy and property value crash.

Swinging by the video store on the way home from work was almost a daily ritual like getting take out food. While I have fond memories and love the nostalgia, having that damn tape back before the 24 hour period was up (thus preventing the next day rental cost) was often easier said than done. And when they finally did have a copy of the movie you really wanted to see, half way though you discover the tape was destroyed by some jackass with a $45 Wal Mart VCR that eats everything.

2. The Record Store. Remember going to the mall? Remember how one of the main stops was the record store? Remember flipping through CDs, perhaps even LPs and cassette tapes if you are old enough? Remember actually paying for music? I was a DJ and I probably have 1,500 LPs and 12" singles. LPs were about $10 and singles were about $5 so let's just multiply 1,500 x $7.50 and that is how much I think every ****ing kid today OWES ME.

I worked shitty, menial jobs for minimum wage and probably spent 75% of it at the music store. Today losers in their 20s still living at home, who don't even pay for their internet connection, download music libraries ten times bigger than mine for free. Assholes.

3. The Newsstand / Bookstore. This was another mall favorite. Growing up I might have had the greatest newsstand ever at the Broward Mall. Not only did the have a huge martial arts section of books, they had every martial arts magazine I might ever want and they sold egg creams. Do ya think the owner might have been from New York? So armed with my current issue of Black Belt, Inside Kung Fu and Soldier of Fortune I'd grab a table at the food court with my egg cream and do some light reading.

Must have been close to what my dad grew up with having a Ice Cream / Soda counter in the 50s and 60s. In later years at the newsstand I'd note the adult magazine issues that we'd pay a 100% markup to one of our 18 year old "associates" to purchase on our behalf. You had to be creative to get your adult content back then.

4. Going Off The Grid. Remember going outside to play? When I was a kid I had a bike, and once we left the block we might as well have been on the moon. If it was the weekend it was a good bet you wouldn't see or hear from us until dinner time and we usually had to bust our ass to not be late. If there was some kind of emergency we could probably find a payphone and call home, but there was no tracking us. Sure when we were teens it was a safe bet you could find us and every other teenager in a 5 mile radius at the mall but still you had to find us in a sea of hundreds of teenagers.

There was also a time you couldn't just google a persons name and find out everything you ever wanted to know about them. Every single address they've ever lived, when they graduated, every business they've been an owner of and their home address in case you feel like making some internet squabble personal. Used to be you had to hire a private investigator or really know your way around City Hall and various records departments to find half the stuff google will show you in 60 seconds. Thankfully my "trouble making" days were so long ago nobody was willing to enter that crap into a database.

5. The Drive In Theater - If you had a time machine and went back to 1985 and told us one day we'd spend the equivalent of a steak dinner to see a movie and buy nothing more than popcorn and a coke we'd have known you were on drugs. Not only did it cost just $1 per person at the drive in, we brought our own cokes and sometimes our own popcorn (although that real movie theater butter shit they had back then was hard to duplicate). But it didn't matter, a huge tub was like $4.50 and you couldn't finish it.

This was one of the huge benefits of having a car, no matter how dated and tired, when you were in high school back then. A date to the drive in was a lot more promising than a date to see a movie.

6. Being Invisible - It's hard work being a ninja today. Last fall I made a trip back to Iowa and one night decided to walk all the old haunts and trails of my past. As a teen I was a ****ing ghost and under certain conditions you could be within four feet of me and have no idea I was there. Now those paths and alleys are loaded with motion detector spotlights and I noted more than a few home security perimeter cameras. I might as well have had a blinking strobe and IR around my neck.

Thankfully the days of visiting catastrophic vandalism on those who seriously wronged me are over.

polymorpheous
05-20-13, 00:19
My virginity. :dance3:

Norinco
05-20-13, 01:20
Common courtesy. Where I'm from anyway.

ridgerunner70
05-20-13, 01:59
I miss our country store. It was a husband and wife and they lived there. I would pick up soda bottle and turn them in for I think I dime a piece. The old timers sat around the stove that sat in the middle of the store. Had the big cooler you reached and got your soda with the bottle opener on the side of the chest. Had one soda machine outside put the money in and small door opened and you pulled your soda bottle out. When his wife passed away it wasn't a month the husband passed. The floor had cracks in it and when we tore it down there was old change, letters, (it was our post office as well), etc. Would like to see small country store like that again.

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 02:06
I miss our country store. It was a husband and wife and they lived there. I would pick up soda bottle and turn them in for I think I dime a piece. The old timers sat around the stove that sat in the middle of the store. Had the big cooler you reached and got your soda with the bottle opener on the side of the chest. Had one soda machine outside put the money in and small door opened and you pulled your soda bottle out. When his wife passed away it wasn't a month the husband passed. The floor had cracks in it and when we tore it down there was old change, letters, (it was our post office as well), etc. Would like to see small country store like that again.

Had something similar growing up in Iowa, a Mom and Pop grocery store that was a house.They slept upstairs and the downstairs was the meat counter, dairy case and some shelves of basics. Being around the corner from my grandparents house meant I had a regular supply of chocolate milk and candy bars. Being only a block from the local Junior High meant they did a brisk business before and after school hours.

It was sad to see it get torn down when they retired the shop. Another place where I spent a good part of my life and have fond memories gone forever.

ridgerunner70
05-20-13, 02:25
Had something similar growing up in Iowa, a Mom and Pop grocery store that was a house.They slept upstairs and the downstairs was the meat counter, dairy case and some shelves of basics. Being around the corner from my grandparents house meant I had a regular supply of chocolate milk and candy bars. Being only a block from the local Junior High meant they did a brisk business before and after school hours.

It was sad to see it get torn down when they retired the shop. Another place where I spent a good part of my life and have fond memories gone forever.

Did they make sandwiches there right on the spot? Our's they made was so thick they couldn't have made any money. I remember we would trade like bushels of corn for potatoes or whatever Grandpa and Dad needed. If one neighbor had a bad crop of something and good with another neighbors would trade around. My grandpa plowed with a team of mules till 82' and Grandma cooked on a wood stove till the 90's. It was a good child hood and was lucky to see some of the old ways before it was gone.

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 03:07
Did they make sandwiches there right on the spot? Our's they made was so thick they couldn't have made any money. I remember we would trade like bushels of corn for potatoes or whatever Grandpa and Dad needed. If one neighbor had a bad crop of something and good with another neighbors would trade around. My grandpa plowed with a team of mules till 82' and Grandma cooked on a wood stove till the 90's. It was a good child hood and was lucky to see some of the old ways before it was gone.

I never did, but I imagine you could if you asked them to. Ironically I found one of their relatives on another message board.

http://wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31271

Here is the market.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/5020427434_cc9e137dbe.jpg

Generations of kids from my fathers time, to me and to the lucky few who came after spent lots of quality time on those front steps drinking sodas (pop in the local vernacular) and eating 25 cent candy bars.

If my friends and I had planned to go camping or something like that, we did a final top off of goodies for our packs at Bacino's. I was really lucky that Marshalltown retained some of it's traditions from my fathers time. There was still a genuine ice cream soda counter on Main Street that serves sandwiches and such. Of course with the influx of illegals and the related narcotics issues the town was forever destroyed during the 90s. Now main street is mostly bars and low grade Mexican cantinas.

Moose-Knuckle
05-20-13, 03:28
1. The Arcade. While I have had pretty much every home console since the Atarti 2600 nothing use to beat going with my boyhood pals and playing Double Dragon and Operation Wolf at the local arcade. There use to be one in every shopping mall.

2. Tobacconist/Cutlery Shoppe. Every shopping mall I went in growing up use to have at least one. What I miss the most is the fragrant aroma of various pipe tobacco. As a youngster I had quit the fondest for knives and wasted plenty of time window shopping at these stores. Now both knives and smoking are "politically incorrect" and would not be caught dead in a "family friendly" environment such as a shopping mall.

3. Hardware Stores. No I don't mean the big box warehouse bullshit stores that now have self checkouts. But the small mom and pop hardware stores that sold ammunition and firearms and smelled of fresh cut lumber, I wished I could bottle that smell and wear it as a cologne.

Army Chief
05-20-13, 06:15
Mimeograph machines in school, and the intoxicating scent of the purple print that came out of them.

AC

sl4mdaddy
05-20-13, 06:47
Mimeograph machines in school, and the intoxicating scent of the purple print that came out of them.

AC

Ya' just can't beat the smell of freshly mimeo'd tests...

davidjinks
05-20-13, 06:58
Penny candy stores.

Ryno12
05-20-13, 07:22
My mullet.

I can travel 30 min in any direction & hit either a drive-in theater, VHS video store, arcade or mom & pop hardware store. In fact, I frequent the hardware store quite often. It still has the creaky hardwood floors and all. That's my honey hole for reloading supplies, I've even scored a dusty, old restricted 6920 from there.
I know what you're saying, Steyr, about being off the grid. My buddy's & I would hop on our Redlines & Haros and peddle 5 miles out to another town for popsicles, jumping every driveway culvert on the way. We'd be gone all day & it felt like we were soooo far away from home. Oh, the good 'ol days...

Sent via Tapatalk

Business_Casual
05-20-13, 08:29
Kids walking to school.

Seriously, the moms around here drive their kids 800 yards to the bus stop and then wait for them in the afternoon to drive them home.

I wonder why we have fat kids these days, such a mystery.

-bc

RogerinTPA
05-20-13, 08:46
Amusement parks are disappearing.

Growing up in Detroit, there was Boblo Island, and amusement park that was around for 90+ years, where you took a steam ferry for a 1 hour trip down river to the island. It was relatively inexpensive, closer than Cedar Point, and used to go there 2 -3 times every summer. Great times and found memories...

gunrunner505
05-20-13, 08:53
The local barber shop. When I was a kid I got my hair cut down the block at a barber shop called Brunos. Run by John Bruno, old Italian guy. I miss that place.

The constitution.....

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

MarkG
05-20-13, 08:57
Industrial Art Classes...

I had the good fortune of being exposed to wood and metal shop starting in Junior High. My son who is a high school freshman this year will never get the opportunity to learn the basics in wood shop, metal shop and automotives.

My mother still has every project I ever made. That being said, its 5 o'clock somewhere...

To my shop teachers Mr. Bennett, Mr. Berkshire and the man himself Doc Drescher, cheers!

nickdrak
05-20-13, 09:06
The "Rocket Slide". We had one in the park behind my house in Chicago identical to this one pictured in Iowa: http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5376/rocketslidewaterlooiowa.jpg

****ing lawyers.

Kokopelli
05-20-13, 09:13
They won't let them ride the bus either. Riding the bus was as natural as breathing for us 50's & 60's kids...

Kids walking to school.

Seriously, the moms around here drive their kids 800 yards to the bus stop and then wait for them in the afternoon to drive them home.

-bc

montanadave
05-20-13, 09:15
Just seeing kids playing around the neighborhood. We used to all hang out at a vacant lot down the street where there was a big tree that had half a dozen different tree houses in it. The little kids had a pallet nailed to a branch six feet off the ground while the older kids had veritable "sky mansions" twenty feet up. We walked or rode our bikes everywhere .. with our dogs running alongside. We knew everybody in the neighborhood. They might be the grumpy old guy or the local "Boo Radley" house, but we knew who they were. We would have neighborhood games of "kick the can" with twenty-five kids playing. We'd put together backyard "carnivals" where we'd build our own game booths and snack stands, selling cookies and cupcakes our moms baked to each other and then spending whatever we made at some other kid's game. The same five bucks in change would get passed back and forth ten times in an afternoon.

There was a very real neighborhood "community." It wasn't Walton's mountain ... not everybody got along and we weren't all bosom buddies. But we knew each other. We knew who drove what, we knew whose kids were whose, we knew which dog lived where.

I'm fortunate to live in the same town where I grew up. I live within a half mile of where I've lived (in three different houses) for fifty years of my life. And I know most of my neighbors. But it's a different vibe. All those kids running around together were kind of the social lubricant that opened up channels of communication. There was a neighborhood elementary school and the kids were all in the same class. Families grew to know each other because their kids were hanging out together.

My parents are elderly. A lot of their contemporaries have passed. And when there's a funeral, the majority of folks showing up are the kids. The old kids from the neighborhood. And most of the conversations generally end up shooting the shit about our childhood hijinks back in the "old neighborhood."

Now I drive through these new neighborhoods with all little McMansions and the manicured yards and the drawn shades. And not a kid in sight on a sunny Saturday afternoon. :confused:

TacticalSledgehammer
05-20-13, 09:18
1. The Coal industry
2. SKS rifles for $79 and m44s for $39
3. Jobs
4. Cassettes
5. Low Sulphur Diesel
6. Twinkies

Magic_Salad0892
05-20-13, 09:29
Mom and pop convenience stores, where I knew the owners personally. The last one I frequented was in Sacramento, and it's owner closed it down in '09 after he found out he had cancer. Luckily he made it, but he isn't in good enough health to keep it open. Also, there's a Wal Mart that's too close by. ****ers.

Record/Music stores that aren't chains. I worked at a music store from the time I was 15 to the time I was 19. Loved every second of it. Lots of cool promotional stuff, and free tickets to see all my favorite bands.

Mom and pop book stores. Loved the one that was on Pacific Avenue in Tacoma.

There's a lot. Maybe one day it'll come back.

Zhurdan
05-20-13, 09:39
1. Common Sense. ;-)
2. Bike hills - There used to be tons of them for riding BMX bikes on. Local parents would take their equipment out and build up some jumps and paths in empty lots for their kids to ride on. Now, there's too much risk of being sued, so they were all flattened out. A shame, I had so much fun riding those jumps and trails as a kid.

Army Chief
05-20-13, 10:00
The "Rocket Slide". We had one in the park behind my house in Chicago ...

****ing lawyers.

This reminds me of the old (stripped out) Martin B-57 bomber that used to be in Dennis the Menace Park/Sherman Park in Sioux Falls, SD when I was a kid. You could mangle yourself three-ways-to-Sunday playing on that thing (falling off of a wing, getting stuck in an engine inlet, catching a sharp edge in the cockpit), but man ... was that ever fun.

As I recall, they had an old Armored Personnel Carrier, a fire truck and even an AAA gun on site, too. Try getting away with any of that today.

Good times.

AC

theblackknight
05-20-13, 10:02
Well stocked inde records stores. There a chain in my home town, one shitty one here full of hipster crap.

The ice cream shop at the lake
gas @ .99c
totally rad toy commercials.
When WWF didnt suck (RIP Machoman!)
When metal ruled the earth
Knowing all the neighbors
You could get in a fight at school and they would only call your parents.
Analog sound. Vacuum tubes still rule the world of guitar amps for a reason.
When my family was still awesome and every weekend was spent at the lake/motocross track
When small .22 rifles didnt have plastic parts.
A car you could fix with your ear and a screw driver vs. a computer.

2. Bike hills - There used to be tons of them for riding BMX bikes on. Local parents would take their equipment out and build up some jumps and paths in empty lots for their kids to ride on. Now, there's too much risk of being sued, so they were all flattened out. A shame, I had so much fun riding those jumps and trails as a kid.

Go to the woods my friend.

yellowfin
05-20-13, 10:07
1. Oysters and shrimp as affordable lunch and beer snacks @ $4 a basket instead of $1 apiece.
2. Anything cool and antique Americana not being bid up to Gucci price level.
3. Makarovs, AK kits, FAL kits for less than $100.
4. Public schools not being run by far left communists, producing normal people with real grasp of the world.
5. Entire schools full of kids without numerous psychological diagnoses w/ accompanying medications and bizarre food allergies.

...Actually, screw accepting this. We need to get it back. I don't know who of us requested this wholesale scrapping of the America we know, but it sure as hell wasn't me.

brickboy240
05-20-13, 10:11
1. A thriving job market and a decent economy!

2. gas prices that were so low....they were not a constant concern.

3. The notion that everything was "ok" and that America, American culture and life as we knew it would just go on forever and was not being threatened at every turn.

...yeah...I miss those days.

-brickboy240

Magic_Salad0892
05-20-13, 10:29
This reminds me of the old (stripped out) Martin B-57 bomber that used to be in Dennis the Menace Park/Sherman Park in Sioux Falls, SD when I was a kid. You could mangle yourself three-ways-to-Sunday playing on that thing (falling off of a wing, getting stuck in an engine inlet, catching a sharp edge in the cockpit), but man ... was that ever fun.

As I recall, they had an old Armored Personnel Carrier, a fire truck and even an AAA gun on site, too. Try getting away with any of that today.

Good times.

AC

... Your childhood had APC, an AAA gun, and a stripped plane in the park?

Your childhood was way more awesome than mine.

gunrunner505
05-20-13, 10:43
3. The notion that everything was "ok" and that America, American culture and life as we knew it would just go on forever and was not being threatened at every turn.

...yeah...I miss those days.

-brickboy240

The crappy part about this is that the Russians or Libyans or some other nut job elsewhere in the word is no longer the biggest threat to our way of life.

The biggest threat to America and our way of life is our own government. Now that sucks....

brickboy240
05-20-13, 10:49
Nope, the biggest threat is the large number of our own citizens that believe the progressives and leftists and their lies.

The very people living amongst us that believe that everything was Bush's fault, that taking away guns is ok and are largely detached from the reality of the growing and oppressive govt. that they voted for.

THEY are the biggest threat...because they now outnumber us.

-brickboy240

Doc Safari
05-20-13, 11:13
1. Paper and plastic cups, boxes, containers of all kinds that weren't so flimsy that you can easily crush or damage them and spill your stuff.
2. Coca Cola with real sugar in it. Drink a Coke made in Mexico for a reminder of what Coke is supposed to taste like.
3. Things that used to be made to last--like out of steel or wood--and are now made of plastic or some other cheap material. I have a set of card table chairs that were probably made in the 1940's and are still going strong. I watched a more modern set of chairs made of thin tubing that only lasted a couple of years.
4. Things that used to be made in America but are now made in China.
5. Cars that with some tools and some knowledge you could work on in your garage. Now you've got to have diagnostic computers and the whole shebang.
6. Women without tattoos that didn't shave their nether regions.
7. The expectation of good customer service rather than the expectation you're going to be given the runaround.
8. The general lack of having to worry about everything you eat, drink, breathe, or touch.
9. One working person could have enough money for the car, the house, and sending the kid's to college. Now both spouses work and they can't make ends meet.
10. TV shows that stayed in a time slot and didn't get moved around like pieces on a chess board.

gunrunner505
05-20-13, 11:15
Nope, the biggest threat is the large number of our own citizens that believe the progressives and leftists and their lies.

The very people living amongst us that believe that everything was Bush's fault, that taking away guns is ok and are largely detached from the reality of the growing and oppressive govt. that they voted for.

THEY are the biggest threat...because they now outnumber us.

-brickboy240

105% agree. Them too.

Hunter Rose
05-20-13, 11:21
Waiters that actually worked for a tip rather than expecting 20% just because they set a plate of food down in front of you.

ST911
05-20-13, 11:26
Much of what you guys are listing is alive and well and in the small towns of the midwest, and other places. It is endangered even in many of those, but it can be found.

sl4mdaddy
05-20-13, 12:10
- Glen Echo Park
- Rainbow Tree
- Penguin Feather
- take-out coffee cups that don't have "caution: contents hot" printed on them
- Burger Chef

Pork Chop
05-20-13, 12:37

Good times.

AC

Chief, my town had those things too!

One park had a WWII Sherman that you could actually play in/on, as well as some artillery pieces of the same vintage. But, believe this or not, one of our elementary schools (not mine) had an F-86 Sabre on the playground! Cockpit open and all. My oh my, if I had a dollar for every imaginary Mig I shot down with that baby. :)

Now parents would crap gold bricks if their kids climbed up on those things. My son actually got in trouble in like 3rd grade for "hostile imaginary play" for pretending to be a Jedi on the playground. Holy shit, I wasn't aware there was another kind of play as a small boy? Seriously.

And for me, the drive in theatre. A tornado finally took ours out like 5 years ago, but I truly miss that old dumpy drive in. :(
More good childhood memories than I can put into words. My wife and I would go almost every weekend when we were first married. Two or three movies with popcorn and sodas for $10. Boy do I miss it.

Magic_Salad0892
05-20-13, 12:42
**** you guys. You guys got to play in legit tanks, and planes and shit.

My local park had gang shootings, graffiti, and crack dealers.

Pork Chop
05-20-13, 12:46

Sorry Salad.

I remember riding my bike with fishing pole down to the canal to catch catfish too, but now that would be verboten. Too dangerous! :(

ETA: I don't think I even knew what a gang shooting was until maybe High School. Lol

Ryno12
05-20-13, 13:02

There used to be an old WW2 fighter plane laying in a field by my grandma's house. When she'd babysit for us, she'd take us down there to play on it. Since then, I'd always wanted to be a pilot. She also cooked at the local VFW & American Legion. We'd go with her occasionally & play on the cannons & other militaria. I was so young & it was so many years ago, I don't know any of the model designations of the plane or canons. Too bad all that stuff is long gone. There's a highway running through where the plane was & the Legion was torn down for an apartment building. I'm not sure kids would care about that stuff anymore, they have Xboxes now.

Sent via Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 13:13

And that is what warped your brain and gave you a fondness for Tarantino movies.

:D

As kids we played on a civil war cannon and a WWII artillery piece at the Iowa Veterans home. There is an honest to god F-4 phantom near the golf course but they have a high fence around it. Probably necessary these days.

From an adult perspective it had to be somewhat therapeutic for a person who served on a tank or bomber crew to see their children play on or in the same vehicle that was associated with what was likely the most stressful events of their lives.

While it wouldn't make you forget, I'm sure the alternate association was appreciated. I also think it laid the foundation for those kids to respect what their fathers and grandfathers actually did.

Magic_Salad0892
05-20-13, 13:16
And that is what warped your brain and gave you a fondness for Tarantino movies.

At least it didn't make me live out Boyz-in-da-Hood like markm, IG, and Pappabear apperantly. :p

Here's me running a tec 9 in my last urban combat class...

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/0/0d/M2S-TEC9-1.jpg/600px-M2S-TEC9-1.jpg

(I agree with the rest of your post.)

Ick
05-20-13, 13:43
List those things that were the norm for most of your life but are now the equivalent of a horse and buggy. They exist but you don't see them very often.

Scruples.

Used to be the norm in the past but in our new age it seems nobody has any scruples. Quite disturbing. The concept is all but gone.

cinco
05-20-13, 13:50
- The very back of the Sears catalog at Christmas time. Oh the amount of time I spent day dreaming about all the cool toys!

- Taking my single-pump Daisy BB gun everywhere with me.

brickboy240
05-20-13, 14:08
You are right about manners and morals.

In most people under the age of say 30....they are almost non-existent.

It is as if at some point...most parents just stopped teaching their kids how to behave or act in public. My kid is one of the only ones I know that holds doors open for older people and says "yes sir" and "thank you."

(waiting for the under-30 posters to jump in and call me a cranky old fool and ream me out.....proving my point! LOL)

-brickboy240

THCDDM4
05-20-13, 14:30
1) Common Sense. The real kind. Not the BS kind called for when people are trying to take away our rights.

2) Imagination. Seems to be little these days with video games & TV acting as a replacement of sorts.

3) Kids without cell phones/mobile televisions/electronic entertainment devices in front of their faces 24/7. <--- I really can't stand this.

4) Real playgrounds made out of wood and steel- with stuff you could get hurt on and have fun on. (Remember those slides that were steeper than the pitch on the local church steeple, 150 degrees on cloudy days that shot you off the bottom so quickly and violently you were lucky to take your teeth with you? :cool:) Not these plastic safety zones for kids we have these days.

5) Bottle rocket/roman candle/firecracker wars. At any given park on any summer day there were different wars being played out by different factions of children armed with firecrackers of variouos kinds. Haven't seen this (Or been a part of one) in a decade or so now.

What I really miss the most:

The "Colorado" I grew up in.

Ryno12
05-20-13, 14:30
Couple more I thought of... Count Chocula, candy cigarettes, Mr. Pibb & as of just recently, Hungry Man XL dinners. Can't find any of those by me any more. :mad:
Sorry, not very nostalgic. I'm just hungary...
Sent via Tapatalk

TMS951
05-20-13, 14:38
I really miss the news stand, book stores and record stores. It is definitely sad when small privately owned shops like this are forced out of business.

The video rental store on the other hand got what they deserved. Netflix is awesome, as is the ability to buy a DVD for what it cost to rent one (and maybe a day late).

gunrunner505
05-20-13, 14:43
1)
5) Bottle rocket/roman candle/firecracker wars. At any given park on any summer day there were different wars being played out by different factions of children armed with firecrackers of variouos kinds. Haven't seen this (Or been a part of one) in a decade or so now.
[/U][/B].

How about toy plastic rifles? We used to go into the local toy store, C. Fosters Toys, and get toy AK looking rifles and have wars up and down the block. If that happened today you'd have HRT shut down your whole neighborhood for a few 10 year olds.....

Kokopelli
05-20-13, 14:43
Just seeing kids playing around the neighborhood. We used to all hang out at a vacant lot down the street where there was a big tree that had half a dozen different tree houses in it. The little kids had a pallet nailed to a branch six feet off the ground while the older kids had veritable "sky mansions" twenty feet up. We walked or rode our bikes everywhere .. with our dogs running alongside. We knew everybody in the neighborhood. They might be the grumpy old guy or the local "Boo Radley" house, but we knew who they were. We would have neighborhood games of "kick the can" with twenty-five kids playing. We'd put together backyard "carnivals" where we'd build our own game booths and snack stands, selling cookies and cupcakes our moms baked to each other and then spending whatever we made at some other kid's game. The same five bucks in change would get passed back and forth ten times in an afternoon.

There was a very real neighborhood "community." It wasn't Walton's mountain ... not everybody got along and we weren't all bosom buddies. But we knew each other. We knew who drove what, we knew whose kids were whose, we knew which dog lived where.

I'm fortunate to live in the same town where I grew up. I live within a half mile of where I've lived (in three different houses) for fifty years of my life. And I know most of my neighbors. But it's a different vibe. All those kids running around together were kind of the social lubricant that opened up channels of communication. There was a neighborhood elementary school and the kids were all in the same class. Families grew to know each other because their kids were hanging out together.

My parents are elderly. A lot of their contemporaries have passed. And when there's a funeral, the majority of folks showing up are the kids. The old kids from the neighborhood. And most of the conversations generally end up shooting the shit about our childhood hijinks back in the "old neighborhood."

Now I drive through these new neighborhoods with all little McMansions and the manicured yards and the drawn shades. And not a kid in sight on a sunny Saturday afternoon. :confused:

Where I spent the first twelve years growing up was pretty much Walton's Mountain.. A little town on Clinch Mountain named Powder Springs Tennessee.. I miss it.. Ron

Trajan
05-20-13, 14:50
Nintendo 64
Red Ryder BB guns
Cap guns
Surge

Doc Glockster: You do know that refined sugar is just as bad for you as HFCS, it's all insulin inducing carbs. And why the hell would you want unshaven chicks?

Honu
05-20-13, 14:51
and our small local store we ran a tab paid once a week :)

skullworks
05-20-13, 14:55
Innocence?

Tapatapatapatalk

Doc Safari
05-20-13, 14:57
Doc Glockster: You do know that refined sugar is just as bad for you as HFCS, it's all insulin inducing carbs. And why the hell would you want unshaven chicks?

Issue one: I like the taste of Coke with sugar. Corn Syrup changes the taste. Of course, no one who grew up after corn syrup replaced sugar in Coca-Cola would know there ever was a difference.

Issue two: I'm kind of a closet hippie. I like my chicks Au Naturale in the pubic area. Before the mid-Eighties chicks didn't shave down there. Shaving the cookie became all the rage because that's what they did in the porn movies.

Honu
05-20-13, 15:01
actual toys in crackerjack

Pork Chop
05-20-13, 15:05
Issue one: I like the taste of Coke with sugar. Corn Syrup changes the taste. Of course, no one who grew up after corn syrup replaced sugar in Coca-Cola would know there ever was a difference.

Issue two: I'm kind of a closet hippie. I like my chicks Au Naturale in the pubic area. Before the mid-Eighties chicks didn't shave down there. Shaving the cookie became all the rage because that's what they did in the porn movies.

And rightfully so. :)
Hair is for armpits...........on a dude. That's it.

I completely agree on the Coke thing, though. Not the same at all.

Army Chief
05-20-13, 15:08
... Your childhood had APC, an AAA gun, and a stripped plane in the park?

Almost. The park was actually in my grandparents' neck of the woods -- not mine -- but fortunately we spent a lot of summers there.

... candy cigarettes ...

Mystery solved. Until this moment, I had no real idea where my stupid cancer came from. Now it all makes perfect sense. ;)

AC

THCDDM4
05-20-13, 15:13
How about toy plastic rifles? We used to go into the local toy store, C. Fosters Toys, and get toy AK looking rifles and have wars up and down the block. If that happened today you'd have HRT shut down your whole neighborhood for a few 10 year olds.....

For sure I miss those as well. We had a few plastic UZI, AK's & M16's as squirt guns (Looked incredibly realistic), but mostly we had the old wooden lever actions that looked like old winchester 92's.

I'll never forget all the times I pinched my fingers to bloody hell under those levers rolling around on the ground like a ninja-commando; great times...

Kids get suspended for making a gun like gesture with their hands or food these days, can you imagine what would happen if they showed up to school with one of the old realistic looking UZI -or- AK squirt guns like I used to take in my backpack to school EVERYDAY for after school squirt gun wars with my playground buddies?!!???!!

Do kids even have "Playground buddies" anymore these days? I remember a whole set of kids I only saw at certain playgrounds and we were best buds whilst playing there. Wonder if that is the case anymore?

Here's one I miss that is specific to Colorado and to the late 80's early 90's- I swear anyone near my age living in Colorado during the late 80's early 90's- we all "met" eachother there without even knowing it. Celebrity's Sports Center

Any COLO people remember Celebrity's? Used to be off S. Colorado in Glendale. First place I saw real life boobs- when an older teen/twenty something yound woman lost her top coming down the water slide- what a day for a 8 year old boy that was! :dance3:!

This thread is seriously making me want to go play at the park right now...

Ahh memories!

chadbag
05-20-13, 15:20
Mr. Pibb

We have Mr. Pibb around here still in some restaurants. I had some this week for old times sake at my kids end of school party at a local indoor "amusement" park.

I don't normally drink soda except for the occasional time eating out, which this was, and because it was Mr. Pibb :p

--

chadbag
05-20-13, 15:22

HFCS is worse for you than refined sugar. Something about passing the brain.blood barrier easier or something.

This is not to say that refined sugar is good for you. I avoid both but will take refined sugar before HFCS.

--

Pork Chop
05-20-13, 15:22
Couple more I thought of... Count Chocula, candy cigarettes, Mr. Pibb & as of just recently, Hungry Man XL dinners. Can't find any of those by me any more. :mad:
Sorry, not very nostalgic. I'm just hungary...
Sent via Tapatalk

Dude, all is not lost, you can still get Count Chocula!

Although, my wife pointed it out to me that it's pretty much only around Halloween time. :(

Was always a Frankenberry kid, myself.

THCDDM4
05-20-13, 15:29

Real Coke is the best- the sugar isn't the only thing that has changed, they remove the "fun" ingredients form the coca leaves. Lame!

I prefer the Mexican made coke these days that is still produced using real/raw unporcessed cane sugar. Good stuff.

As to your second issue:
I prefer the James Bond school of pubice- "Shaven not furred"...

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 15:31

Although, my wife pointed it out to me that it's pretty much only around Halloween time. :(

Don't forget Boo Berry.

Doc Safari
05-20-13, 15:35
Quisp, Puffa Puffa Rice, Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, Super SUGAR Crisp, Sugar Pops (now called Corn Pops, I think).

It's a wonder I still have teeth. :blink:

Trajan
05-20-13, 15:37
HFCS is worse for you than refined sugar. Something about passing the brain.blood barrier easier or something.

This is not to say that refined sugar is good for you. I avoid both but will take refined sugar before HFCS.

--

I'm pretty sure that's all just an internet myth. They're still both simple carbohydrates. Your body still processes them as sugars. (we need Will Brink in here)

The big difference between today and back then was that kids had one soda (8-12 oz) on occasion then. Today they drink the entire two-liter. Not to mention they were much more active. I shit you not, growing up in the 90's, kids would drink pop as hydration. Water? That's the shit you put in your super-soakers.

Doc Safari
05-20-13, 15:39
The big difference between today and back then was that kids had one soda (8-12 oz) on occasion then. Today they drink the entire two-liter. Not to mention they were much more active. I shit you not, growing up in the 90's, kids would drink pop as hydration. Water? That's the shit you put in your super-soakers.

I agree 100%. The scourge of advertising convinced our youth that candy bars, sodas, and other junk foods were for everyday consumption instead of an occasional treat. If you grew up in the sixties and seventies, the running joke was that the kid had to go to elaborate means to get to the family cookie jar, which was always out of reach. Now the kid gets the cookies anytime he wants.

Ryno12
05-20-13, 15:41

I know, WTF is up with the Halloween thing?! I try to stock up then but the shit goes missing. I think my mother-in-law eats it all when she's here babysitting. I gotta start hiding it...

On a different note, Is Mr. Yuck still saving little kids lives? I haven't seen him around for eons.

Sent via Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 16:21
The big difference between today and back then was that kids had one soda (8-12 oz) on occasion then.

Actually the BIG difference is corn crop subsidies.

I probably drank 6-8 cokes a day back then and looked like this.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/K2_zpse971dbb8.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/K3_zps327e6943.jpg

I lived on a steady diet of pizza, tacos and assorted crap and never broke 120 lbs. until my late 20s when I got a "sit down" job involving computers and constantly shifting schedules, nights to days, which meant when I wasn't working I was comatose from lack of an established sleep schedule.

It was then that my metabolism decided to **** me. I hated that job, I had no energy to train but was used to eating significant meals in order to NOT lose weight. Prior to that job I was teaching 3 classes a night in addition to my own personal training and I'd eat 4 to 5 times a day to prevent weight loss.

I eventually got a more normal job with normal hours and resumed a regular training schedule and tried to start eating sensibly but I was never a Size 6 again.

Honu
05-20-13, 16:25
Quisp, Puffa Puffa Rice, Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs, Super SUGAR Crisp, Sugar Pops (now called Corn Pops, I think).

It's a wonder I still have teeth. :blink:

whats funny is I was thinking puffa puffa rice my fav cereal :) and quisp was awesome
coccoa pebbles is still around :) one of my kids fav cereals :)

also you got cool plastic toys in cereal back then not some sticker or something you cut out of the box :) I remember digging out that bag in the cereal and having to clip together some toy !

or the cool little cars and stuff in Cracker Jack and things like that !

penny candy was a penny :)

jmp45
05-20-13, 19:17
As Steyr said off the grid.. there was no grid in my younger days living around a local lake. Always outdoors up to something, hiking, swimming and skiing.

Didn't need a bike helmet to pedal your 2 wheeler (still refuse to wear those). GW Invaders, M80s/Cherry bombs were plentiful and used often. Rupp & Fox mini bikes and go carts. Slot car racing, U-control Cox planes. Supervised trap shooting off the dike over the lake with boats downrange, you'd get arrested now. Was rare too to see a kid overweight, now that's the norm.

Phillygunguy
05-20-13, 19:49
Well I don't know if it was mentioned, but payphones almost seem non existent where I live, Plus in Philly we had Tasteycakes which were a lot better when I was a kid and they were 33cents
Typewriters are another thing of the past, although still have to buy paper and ink for copiers

Phillygunguy
05-20-13, 19:50
whats funny is I was thinking puffa puffa rice my fav cereal :) and quisp was awesome
coccoa pebbles is still around :) one of my kids fav cereals :)

I remember when cocoa crispies had an elephant mascot

Phillygunguy
05-20-13, 19:55
Actually the BIG difference is corn crop subsidies.

I probably drank 6-8 cokes a day back then and looked like this.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/K2_zpse971dbb8.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/K3_zps327e6943.jpg

I lived on a steady diet of pizza, tacos and assorted crap and never broke 120 lbs. until my late 20s when I got a "sit down" job involving computers and constantly shifting schedules, nights to days, which meant when I wasn't working I was comatose from lack of an established sleep schedule.

It was then that my metabolism decided to **** me. I hated that job, I had no energy to train but was used to eating significant meals in order to NOT lose weight. Prior to that job I was teaching 3 classes a night in addition to my own personal training and I'd eat 4 to 5 times a day to prevent weight loss.

I eventually got a more normal job with normal hours and resumed a regular training schedule and tried to start eating sensibly but I was never a Size 6 again.

IS that you as a kid? LOL I am in the same boat with my diet anyway
I was able to eat whatever the hell I wanted McDonald's, cheese stakes ice cream, cookies soda, etc and wouldnt gain an ounce, Now 45 and and over 200lbs, work shift work both days and nights its gotten harder to change my diet cause the food I hated as a kid, like vegetables I still hate as an Adult :p

Ryno12
05-20-13, 19:58
Does anyone still have "full service filling stations" in their area? My uncle owned one of the last ones in my hometown. I think he went self-serve sometime in the 80's. Is it just me or did automakers stop hiding the gas caps behind taillights or license plates around the same time self-serve gas stations came into popularity? It's like they were playing some kind of cruel joke on the attendants or something.

Sent via Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 20:06
IS that you as a kid? LOL I am in the same boat with my diet anyway
I was able to eat whatever the hell I wanted McDonald's, cheese stakes ice cream, cookies soda, etc and wouldnt gain an ounce, Now 45 and and over 200lbs, work shift work both days and nights its gotten harder to change my diet cause the food I hated as a kid, like vegetables I still hate as an Adult :p

That is actually me.

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 20:08
Does anyone still have "full service filling stations" in their area? My uncle owned one of the last ones in my hometown. I think he went self-serve sometime in the 80's. Is it just me or did automakers stop hiding the gas caps behind taillights or license plates around the same time self-serve gas stations came into popularity? It's like they were playing some kind of cruel joke on the attendants or something.

Sent via Tapatalk

I still laugh when I think of that scene from Back to the Future where Marty see's a car pull up to the gas station and four or five guys come running out to pump gas, check tire pressure, wash windows and check fluids.

Ryno12
05-20-13, 20:24
I still laugh when I think of that scene from Back to the Future where Marty see's a car pull up to the gas station and four or five guys come running out to pump gas, check tire pressure, wash windows and check fluids.

That was a good flick. At work, if somebody does something stupid, one of us will knock on our head with our fist & say "Hellooo, McFly". Doesn't ever seem to get old. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

FlyingHunter
05-20-13, 21:04
This thread is full of win!

GeorgiaBoy
05-20-13, 21:14
I miss when a cell phone was only able to do basic functions like calling and texting.

I love smart phones and all but it's just one more way to be connected to the net at all times and it's hard to able to get away.

tb-av
05-20-13, 21:16
Firecrackers and M-80s. Preferably purchased at South of the Border.

The_War_Wagon
05-20-13, 21:49
- Mercury
- Plymouth
- Pontiac
- Oldsmobile
- AMC
- leaded gasoline
- $.59/gal. gasoline (the cheapest I ever PERSONALLY pumped in a vehicle I was driving)
- good, COLD, R-12 a/c refrigerant!
- chrome bumpers & trim
- leaf-sprung trucks
- carburetors

Can you tell I'm restoring an old Dodge Ramcharger? :o

tb-av
05-20-13, 22:00
Man I clearly remember .25/gal gas. Can you imagine filing up for $4?

Honu
05-20-13, 22:05

remember filling up my bikes and counting change to pay :)

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 22:12

I can remember during the Carter years gas shortages when gas got all the way up to $1 a gallon. I also remember paying about .90 cents a gallon in 1989.

Bubba FAL
05-20-13, 23:06
freedom!

I remember the days of splurging to fill the gas tank with 108 octane leaded race gas... for $20!

TacMedic556
05-20-13, 23:32
Less knowledge of the good and evil, thus happier.

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 23:38
Less knowledge of the good and evil, thus happier.

Ain't that the truth.

I miss that self centered kid who was slightly inconsiderate because nothing horrible had happened to him yet. It's not that I wasn't nice or friendly, I just didn't understand some things because nothing horrible had happened to me yet.

SeriousStudent
05-20-13, 23:50
Gas at 28 cents a gallon.

Being a 14-year-old and wearing a Buck 110 Folding Hunter knife on my belt to school. Just like all the other kids my age.

Having a worn imprint ring in the back pocket of my Wranglers, because you carried a can of Copenhagen there at age 13.

Making your own Copenhagen belt buckle from the tin lid and coat hanger wire. Smelting the lead yourself with a kitchen cook pot you swiped from Mom, and Dad's Benz-o-Matic propane torch.

Getting a serious whipping for making the aforementioned belt buckle and nearly setting the backyard on fire.

Carrying a new (to me) 20-gauge shotgun to school in a gun rack in your pickup at age 16. Assistant Principal checks it out, admires how smooth the action is, and gives you pointers on how to properly lead a morning dove.

Growing up with ranchers who carry either a Colt or a Smith. The Colt is a 1911 in 45 ACP, and the Smith is a Model 19 or 27 in 357 Magnum.

And everybody's dad served in WWII. The only question was what branch they were in, and what did they do.

Real root beer at the A&W.

Crap, I am really old. Which is a victory! :D

MistWolf
05-21-13, 01:08
I miss screaming down empty narrow two lane mountain roads and not seeing anyone- not another car or cop or gang of snotty bicyclists hogging the road- just a steel guard rail between you and a 200 foot drop while careening around a corner, tires sliding and engine wound tight.

I miss going 4 wheeling just about anywhere. Today trails are very limited and some are getting too crowded. Still, I love off roading.

The Honda ATC was the first 3 wheeled motorcycle and I had the 110. One cylinder engine, 4 speeds and a two speed gear reduction box. Put that puppy in low range, first gear and it would CLIMB. Unfortunately, they put the kill switch on the handlebars, right where your leg would hit it leaning far out over the front climbing the gnarliest hill.

What I wouldn't give to see cheap Willys Jeeps again. Dad had a 48 that Grandpa taught how to drive when I was 10. One time. I talked Grandpa taking me out in Ol' Willy (that's what I called the Jeep) when he'd had more than a few too many beers in him. (What did I know? I was 10.) He had me mark out a little track and had me drive it around it over and over again, making drive faster each time. He kept saying "C'mon! Put it up on two wheels!" I tried to, but I was afraid of rolling because I knew Dad would have kicked my ass.

It was a good lesson, though and saved my life later when I was 16 with my learner's permit. I'd drive Willy to school to work on it in auto shop. One day, after working on the carburetor , a couple of friends talked me into taking it out for a test drive. We ended up in the hills behind the drive in when the battery died. Willy still had her original 6 volt system.

As it turned out, I should have worked on the brakes instead. To get her started, I aimed her down the hill and helped my buddies give her a push to get started down the hill and hopped in. Well, it was a three speed tranny and first gear was non-synchronized. I stepped on the clutch but fumbled it trying to get her into gear. The hill rolled down ever steeper and suddenly the jeep was going really fast and was gaining speed. I still couldn't get her into gear and stepping on thre brakes did nothing. At the bottom of the hill, a dirt road had been cut running perpendicular to my path. There was a 6 foot bank just before the road, then on the other side of that was a barbed wire fence that was the back of the drive in. I knew flying of that bank at a gazillion miles an hour would be bad and the barbed wire on the other side wasn't making things any better. I started steering Willy to the right in hopes of running parallel to the road as the hill gradually flattened out. But the ground was bumpy and the hill still steep and I was certain I'd roll the jeep or crash over the bank before I got her turned enough to avert disaster. I held on to the steering wheel with one hand and leaned so far to the right to keep the Jeep from tipping, I was nearly laying down in the passenger seat. With only a couple feet to spare, I got her to running along side the road. Finally, the bank was short enough to get on the road without tipping over. The ground flattened out that I was able to sit up and, gripping the wheel with both hands, stand on the brakes and bring Ol' Willy to a stop before careening out onto the highway.

I looked back to see my buddies still standing near the top of the hill staring eyes wide and mouth agape. I yelled back "C'mon! I need your help to get her push started!"

I miss surplus firearms and the old Army Navy stores. I miss the big gun shows. I miss Friendly Neighborhood Gun Shops that really were friendly where you could go with your Dad and listen to the guys swapping tales while you dug around in a pile of webgear for a WWII belt with a canteen, flap leather 1911 holster and bayonet to go play Army with the guys. I miss racks of 03s, Arisakas, old Smellies, Mausers of all types, Garands, Carcanos and even trap door Springfields. I miss the glass cases filled with Lugers, 1911s, Nambaus, Broomhandle Mausers, Hi Powers, Weblys, Old Single Action Colts- gun shops today just don't have that same sense of wonder that you find surrounded by the flotsam & jetsam of days past.

I used to be able to mow a few lawns and for $10, I could buy a box of Sierra 100 gr .244" bullets, a pound of H4831 and a box of primers and load up a batch of 6mm Remingtons to terrorize the jackrabbits of Mojave. For another $10, I'd have 500 rounds of 22s and if I'd really done well that week, I'd have 200 rounds of 6mm and 1000 rounds of 22s. After a weekend out in the desert, I'd never come back with more than 5 rounds of 6mm and 50 rounds of 22s. We used to go to Gemco and buy a whole carton (what you whippersnappers today call a "brick") and still get a couple bucks in change from a ten spot. That's not counting the millions of BBs we'd shoot to conserve ammo.

One thing I really miss is the Crossman M1 Carbine BB gun Dad got for me. The barrel was real steel, the sights a faithful copy of the Carbine sights and the stock made of heavy duty plastic. The stock was not hollow. I wore that BB gun out from shooting. I'd get the box of BBs that looked like a school milk carton- I think it held 5000 BBs and I'd shoot every one of them.

Heh! I also miss my boys, wide eyed and eager to shoot their 22s. But it's all good. I miss the boys they were, but am blessed to know the fine men they have become

Norinco
05-21-13, 03:19
Man I clearly remember .25/gal gas.

http://imageshack.us/a/img163/9521/manuelque.jpg

Army Chief
05-21-13, 06:37
Real root beer at the A&W.

Indeed, when "frosty mug" used to have an actual meaning. Great stuff!

I miss surplus firearms and the old Army Navy stores. ... One thing I really miss is the Crossman M1 Carbine BB gun Dad got for me. The barrel was real steel, the sights a faithful copy of the Carbine sights and the stock made of heavy duty plastic.

I too have long lamented the day when most surplus shops became little more than Lee jeans outlets. When I was young, you could buy Korean War-vintage radio sets and fuel cans, ponchos, helmets and sleeping bags from WWII, drop tanks from who-knows-when, and about a million other actual surplus items. Everything was dirt cheap, too.

I also had the same Crosman M1 Carbine -- what a great product it was. Very close to the original for a BB gun, and mine anchored more hours of wargaming out in the forest than I could ever begin to count. Good memory there. ;)

AC

Magic_Salad0892
05-21-13, 06:55

They still have those in Sacramento, LA, and IIRC there was one in Tacoma, WA when I was there last.

Arik
05-21-13, 07:28
Kids walking to school.

-bc

800 yeards:eek: that aint bad. Lots of them here that drive rheir kids to the end of the driveway and wait there. What happened to school bus stops? I remember going to one. All the kids from the neighborhood would be there. Now they get picked up at their house! WTF! Its so frustrates getting stuck behind a school bus today. Bus moves 30ft, picks up a kid at his driveway, moves another 30ft, picks up another kid and so on for the next few miles! Drives me insane

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Arik
05-21-13, 07:54

Sent via Tapatalk

All of NJ and some of Pa stations bordering NJ are full service

I started driving gas was 98 cents/gal.

Playing video games was something you did when the weather was bad.

Only having 1 tv in the house

Walking 5 miles to the movies and buying a 99 cent Whapper on the way.

Carrying a pager

Arcades with games like Ninja Turtles and Robocop

Not having to sign a "held harmless" when ordering spicy wings

montanadave
05-21-13, 08:11

AC

How about those waxed paper cones that A&W used to use for a take-home quart?

And, while some might consider it heresy, A&W fries beat the shit out of McDonalds'.

RogerinTPA
05-21-13, 09:34
As a kid, walking back and forth to school, up to 6 miles away, and just about everywhere you needed to go, unless you had a bike, then you could bike all around the city...Playing basketball and tennis at the local park (also 4-5 miles away) until midnight in the summer, then walking home. Fathers teaching their kids how to shoot, fight, hunt, fish, camp, ride a dirt bike, play with fire crackers, basic stuff every kid should know how to do, but now is considered being a bad parent. Many of which can land you in jail if dimed out by a teacher or neighbor.

Individuality, being a non conformist, minding your own business...those days are gone.

brickboy240
05-21-13, 10:11
I taught my daughter how to shoot and fish. In fact, she skipped the BB gun and went right to my Remington bolt action 22 at age 6. She now shoots my G19 and thinks my 357 Marlin lever gun is hers at age 14! This is right now...not in the past.

These things only disappear if WE allow them to do so.

-brickboy240

Armati
05-21-13, 11:53
Gone forever?

Punk Rock

High School rifle teams

Playgrounds where you could get hurt. We also had a de-milled tank, APC, and some more stuff.

Winos - now replaced by the "homeless."

7.62WildBill
05-21-13, 12:04
I also had the same Crosman M1 Carbine -- what a great product it was. Very close to the original for a BB gun, and mine anchored more hours of wargaming out in the forest than I could ever begin to count. Good memory there. ;)

AC

Did you have to push the barrel straight into the receiver to pump that M1? My best friend (in second grade) had one like that. It began to randomly fire when the barrel bottomed out, so we had to be "extra" careful when cocking. My friend put his hand over the muzzle one day, and my Mother had to pull out the BB from his middle finger with tweezers. We were told to be more careful and sent back out with the M1 to play. Good ole days...:smile:

Army Chief
05-21-13, 12:20
Did you have to push the barrel straight into the receiver to pump that M1?

Never experienced that particular malfunction, but yes -- we're definitely talking about the same rifle.

AC

gunrunner505
05-21-13, 12:47
How about being able to leave your bike in the front yard over night and it would still be there in the morning because people wouldn't steal anything that wasn't nailed down?

The days when you respected other people and their things....

brickboy240
05-21-13, 14:38
Bike?

Hell..we had a large cast iron bench stolen from our front yard! I know damn well not to leave a bike out there but we thought, "it is a heavy metal bench...surely it is safe." Were we ever wrong!

Found it down the street, bent and broken. Apparently the thieves either dropped it out of their vehicle or got tired of carrying it and trashed it.

Chained the replacement bench to the oak tree and 4 years later...it is still there.

Live and learn.

-brickboy240

Phillygunguy
05-21-13, 14:49
All of NJ and some of Pa stations bordering NJ are full service

I started driving gas was 98 cents/gal.

Playing video games was something you did when the weather was bad.

Only having 1 tv in the house

Walking 5 miles to the movies and buying a 99 cent Whapper on the way.

Carrying a pager

Arcades with games like Ninja Turtles and Robocop

Not having to sign a "held harmless" when ordering spicy wings

Shit the first video game I played was Pong
Long before pacman, and my first TV was black and white

SteyrAUG
05-21-13, 14:52
Shit the first video game I played was Pong
Long before pacman, and my first TV was black and white

I remember playing that at the store when it first came out.

But I can remember playing arcade video games like Sea Wolf before that.

SteyrAUG
05-21-13, 14:55
Bike?

Hell..we had a large cast iron bench stolen from our front yard! I know damn well not to leave a bike out there but we thought, "it is a heavy metal bench...surely it is safe." Were we ever wrong!

Found it down the street, bent and broken. Apparently the thieves either dropped it out of their vehicle or got tired of carrying it and trashed it.

Chained the replacement bench to the oak tree and 4 years later...it is still there.

Live and learn.

-brickboy240

I think it's very much zip code dependent.

There are a few places even today where a bike would still be there in the morning. But people were stealing bikes in some places before I was even born.

.46caliber
05-21-13, 15:39
Common courtesy. Where I'm from anyway.

I had a rude awakening on this one in college. I'm from the Midwest and was taught to hold a door open for ladies. I went to a school where the vast majority was made up of W and E coast natives.

Week 1 Freshman year I was coming back to the dorm and Dana, was a floor mate from MD. She was 5 paces behind so I held the door for her. She got to me and stopped, looked at me like I had six heads and asked, "What are you doing?"

At that point I realized I would not marry a coast girl.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

gunrunner505
05-21-13, 16:23
At that point I realized I would not marry a coast girl.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

They usually break up with you if your Trans Am is over 2 years old anyway so.....

Ryno12
05-21-13, 16:37
They usually break up with you if your Trans Am is over 2 years old anyway so.....

Sent via Tapatalk

Skyyr
05-21-13, 18:44
Common sense... though reportedly, that was actually lost after my grandparents' generation.

Safetyhit
05-21-13, 19:39
My family's 220 acre estate/farmstead here in NJ, one that was surrounded by other farms and nice properties. I could ride my dirt bike down the road, trusty 10/22 or mini-14 on my back and any number of possible handguns on my waist, from my grandparents house on one end to my fathers on the other while stopping to take out a woodchuck or some pigeons on the way. Would wake up at sunrise to hunt dove in the fall and could not possibly have been more content to do so. I loved that life as a teen. Don't hunt much now by choice but would give anything to go back for just one day, maybe even 15 minutes.

We were fairly well known locally then (60's-80's) and had some interesting friends visit to shoot their firearms very frequently, so I never knew if I would be shooting a suppressed Mac, a Thompson or a Garand, but whatever they brought along it rarely disappointed. We had dirt bikes, go carts, beautiful wildlife and scenery.

Now both homes have been razed and a subdivision occupies what was our heaven on earth. It still hurts 23 years later.

SteyrAUG
05-21-13, 19:47
My family's 220 acre estate/farmstead here in NJ, one that was surrounded by other farms and nice properties. I could ride my dirt bike down the road, trusty 10/22 or mini-14 on my back and any number of possible handguns on my waist, from my grandparents house on one end to my fathers on the other while stopping to take out a woodchuck or some pigeons on the way. Would wake up at sunrise to hunt dove in the fall and could not possibly have been more content to do so. I loved that life as a teen. Don't hunt much now by choice but would give anything to go back for just one day, maybe even 15 minutes.

We were fairly well known locally then (60's-80's) and had some interesting friends visit to shoot their firearms very frequently, so I never knew if I would be shooting a suppressed Mac, a Thompson or a Garand, but whatever they brought along it rarely disappointed. We had dirt bikes, go carts, beautiful wildlife and scenery.

Now both homes have been razed and a subdivision occupies what was our heaven on earth. It still hurts 23 years later.

My family farm, started by my great grandfather in the 1930s, which was handed down to my grandfather with the intention of going to my father, was another casualty of my parents divorce. Basically my mother made allegations that my grandparents where sheltering property that would be "his" one day and that opened them up to being targets in divorce proceedings which put everything my grandfather had and worked for over the years at risk.

They were forced to file for bankruptcy to protect what little they actually had and in the process lost the family farm. That was in the mid 80s so trust me I understand how you feel.

68fan
05-21-13, 19:47
1. Paper and plastic cups, boxes, containers of all kinds that weren't so flimsy that you can easily crush or damage them and spill your stuff.
2. Coca Cola with real sugar in it. Drink a Coke made in Mexico for a reminder of what Coke is supposed to taste like.
3. Things that used to be made to last--like out of steel or wood--and are now made of plastic or some other cheap material. I have a set of card table chairs that were probably made in the 1940's and are still going strong. I watched a more modern set of chairs made of thin tubing that only lasted a couple of years.

Reminds me that Coke and other sodas used to come in 6 or 8 packs of glass bottles with pry-off (no twisties) lids. Between the advent of the plastic bottle and the substitution of HFCS for sugar, soda has tasted like s&*t for many years...

I also recall that people would collect the plastic bottle carriers, and the old plastic/fiberglass milk crates to use for cheap storage, furniture, etc. I think they still sell milk crate facsimiles now, but they'd be too flimsy to use for the original purpose, and the old soda bottle carriers are long gone.

Moose-Knuckle
05-21-13, 20:02
Reminds me that Coke and other sodas used to come in 6 or 8 packs of glass bottles with pry-off (no twisties) lids. Between the advent of the plastic bottle and the substitution of HFCS for sugar, soda has tasted like s&*t for many years...

I also recall that people would collect the plastic bottle carriers, and the old plastic/fiberglass milk crates to use for cheap storage, furniture, etc. I think they still sell milk crate facsimiles now, but they'd be too flimsy to use for the original purpose, and the old soda bottle carriers are long gone.

Yeap, I don't drink soda much now-a-days but if I do I make sure it is either a Dr. Pepper in glass bottles from the original bottling plant in Dublin (TX) or a Coca-Cola in glass hecho en Mexico, as they are both still made with pure cane sugar and not HFCS.

ryan
05-21-13, 20:10
My Daddy's deer rifle, stolen.

InterArms Whitworth Express, 7mm Remington Mag, Brown Precision stock, Timney trigger, Leupold 2.5-8x36, ConeTrol bases and rings, he painted it gray and black, dunno what it looks like now.

Cincinnatus
05-21-13, 20:18

This! We used to run all over the place toting what looked like real Uzis, etc. today, we would have been expelled for even breathing the word "gun."

Ryno12
05-21-13, 20:18
Yeap, I don't drink soda much now-a-days but if I do I make sure it is either a Dr. Pepper in glass bottles from the original bottling plant in Dublin (TX) or a Coca-Cola in glass hecho en Mexico, as they are both still made with pure cane sugar and not HFCS.

Really? You're not a consumer of Jolt? :)

Sent via Tapatalk

feedramp
05-21-13, 21:06
I'm disappointed that the first reply in this thread wasn't, "Freedom." :D

SteyrAUG
05-21-13, 21:18
I'm disappointed that the first reply in this thread wasn't, "Freedom." :D

We never really had it, we just had more than we do now. And in a few respects we are freer than our fathers and grandfathers.

MistWolf
05-23-13, 00:41
I miss getting the nickel a scoop ice-cream at Thrifty's. I felt rich when I had scrounged up enough pop bottles to turn in for a triple

I miss the Space Race. Launching rockets into space and putting men on the moon really captured my imagination. Something died in me after Apollo 13 and the axed the program. The moon should have been America's stepping stone to Mars and the rest of the solar system.

I really miss WWII surplus 30-06 AP rounds :D

SteyrAUG
05-23-13, 01:00
I miss getting the nickel a scoop ice-cream at Thrifty's. I felt rich when I had scrounged up enough pop bottles to turn in for a triple

I miss the Space Race. Launching rockets into space and putting men on the moon really captured my imagination. Something died in me after Apollo 13 and the axed the program. The moon should have been America's stepping stone to Mars and the rest of the solar system.

Pssst.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_17

Apollo 17 was the final mission of the United States' Apollo lunar landing program, and was the sixth landing of humans on the Moon. Launched at 12:33 a.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on December 7, 1972

The really cool thing was I lived in Plantation FL at the time and we watched the launch live on TV then went outside into the front yard and watched the rocket climbing through the sky.

I was a seriously little kid and it is one of my earliest memories.

MistWolf
05-23-13, 07:53
You're right. For some reason I was thinking we cancelled the Apollo program after the near disaster of Apollo 13.

I was in grade school when it was discovered the crew of Apollo 13 was in trouble. The school staff set up a TV in the cafeteria and herded all of us kids there and we spent the whole school day watching events unfold. It was the most tense thing I've ever watched

davidjinks
05-23-13, 08:29
Cap guns!

I had an awesome one that was modeled after a PPK, all metal, blued parts with plastic removable grips. It had a detachable europian style magazine with stripper type plastic caps. Each fired cap would be cut and ejected out of the top.

Zhurdan
05-23-13, 08:35

Speaking of ice cream, did you guys ever get the "wooden nickels"? Good for one scoop! We used to get them for mowing lawns or helping old ladies. Never knew where they got them from, but it seemed as though all the adults had them to hand out if you did something nice.

http://bonanzleimages.s3.amazonaws.com/afu/images/5018/5792/indian_wooden_nickel_001.JPG

Army Chief
05-23-13, 08:36
Merry Christmas!

We said it. We saw it in the stores. We sent cards out that joyfully proclaimed it. We all took time off for it, and no one seemed even remotely put-off over the fact that most Americans celebrated Christmas in at least some fashion, whether they happened to maintain any affiliation with Christianity or not. It wasn't considered an affront to anyone else, nobody got their undergarments twisted over it, and even those with no faith background whatsoever seemed content to enjoy the spirit of the season and take part in the egg nog, mistletoe and gift-giving.

Now, I realize that Christmas itself is often claimed to be a contrived holiday with pagan roots, but I'm not interested that particular debate for purposes of this discussion. I'm just lamenting the loss of something that was a pretty central part of our culture, something that we all took for granted as kids, and something which has now been largely shelved in favor of the generic "Happy Holidays" approach. Granted, we were always taught to respect Hanukkah as an alternate tradition for our Jewish friends, but I'm somewhat less convinced as to the equivalent importance of Kwanzaa, Festivus or whatever the Pagan sun festival might be called these days. I don't particularly care if you wish to observe it as Kermit the Frog day, but as an important American cultural tradition, why has it now been deemed so potentially offensive to simply wish folks a very "Merry Christmas" in any public venue or setting?

AC

Artos
05-23-13, 08:39
A safe and fun Mexico to play & work...from eating over there at least once a week to the fantastic whitewing / deer hunting just an hour's drive south, to the manufacturing plants.

Doubtful it will ever be the same with unlimited supply of thugs and not one solution in sight. (none that would be considered anyway.

What a waste of a fantastic culture and escape I had growing up...never thought ole mex would lose her true soul.

THCDDM4
05-23-13, 10:37
Merry Christmas!

We said it. We saw it in the stores. We sent cards out that joyfully proclaimed it. We all took time off for it, and no one seemed even remotely put-off over the fact that most Americans celebrated Christmas in at least some fashion, whether they happened to maintain any affiliation with Christianity or not. It wasn't considered an affront to anyone else, nobody got their undergarments twisted over it, and even those with no faith background whatsoever seemed content to enjoy the spirit of the season and take part in the egg nog, mistletoe and gift-giving.

Now, I realize that Christmas itself is often claimed to be a contrived holiday with pagan roots, but I'm not interested that particular debate for purposes of this discussion. I'm just lamenting the loss of something that was a pretty central part of our culture, something that we all took for granted as kids, and something which has now been largely shelved in favor of the generic "Happy Holidays" approach. Granted, we were always taught to respect Hanukkah as an alternate tradition for our Jewish friends, but I'm somewhat less convinced as to the equivalent importance of Kwanzaa, Festivus or whatever the Pagan sun festival might be called these days. I don't particularly care if you wish to observe it as Kermit the Frog day, but as an important American cultural tradition, why has it now been deemed so potentially offensive to simply wish folks a very "Merry Christmas" in any public venue or setting?

AC

Yeah, this really bothers me too. Screw "Happy Holidays"- it's a Merry Christmas!

I still chant Merry Christmas with a huge smile on my face to every person I see during the Christmas season. I've gotten a few bad looks from it and I cannot fathom the perspective of someone angered by spreading joy/happiness during the holidays.

I wouldn't be offended if someone wished me a happy Hanukkah or quanza- et al. I just say Merry Christmas right back to them and give them a big happy smile!

Along those lines A/C- I miss seeing HORDES of kids on Halloween. I remember it being the night of all nights- we would pack out pillow cases & backpacks; make pit stops back home to empty our booty and go out until well after midnight trick or treating.

Everyone had halloween parties and dressed up- adults included (Even ones without children!) put out tons of decorations, some peoples yards looked like murder scenes straight outta the movies even. COOL STUFF!

Rain, snow or otherwise- it was our night to rule the streets, scare the crap out of eachother and get our candy reserves stoc ked for the year.

People would make homemade goodies and invite you into their home made up like haunted houses. Homemade cider, popcorn balls, apple bobbing, "Eye balls and guts in bowls" to feel in your hands whilst blind folded, etc, etc, etc...

I miss those days...

The first year my wife and I were married we made a TON of homemade Halloween treats- every kind imaginable. Most were littered on our lawn the next morning as parents made their kids toss them out. Some even told their children not to accept them from us right at our door and walked off with attitudes like we were monsters for sharing our homemade treats.

We both gained about 5 pounds from eating all the treats no one would accept.

We had a mini haunted house just inside the door, and maybe 10 kids went through who were brave enough and didn't have their parents along to stop them. A handful more of parents/children we know from around our neighboorhood went through as well.

I felt as if I had entered the twilight zone (I feel like that more and more each passing day).

Holidays used to bring us together without question- the occassional drunken family fued aside of course.

Straight Shooter
05-23-13, 11:38
I just thought of something else.
Back in the eighties, and I think very early nineties, before Mr. Sam Walton died, a GREAT PATRIOT & AMERICAN, btw- when you went inside a Walmart, boy howdy it was red,white & blue everywhere!
And signs over a lot of products,with an arrow pointing at the product saying."This widget created 26 jobs in Anytown, USA" or
"These things were made 100% in America!" It was really pro-America all the way. That's the way Mr. Sam designes it to be, Ive heard him say that. After he died..the corporation didn't wait until he was cold in the ground to start dealing with China.
That's the way they were here in Dixie,anyway.

MistWolf
05-23-13, 13:06
Speaking of ice cream, did you guys ever get the "wooden nickels"? Good for one scoop! We used to get them for mowing lawns or helping old ladies. Never knew where they got them from, but it seemed as though all the adults had them to hand out if you did something nice.

http://bonanzleimages.s3.amazonaws.com/afu/images/5018/5792/indian_wooden_nickel_001.JPG

Never did. I've never found out what the whole wooden nickle thing was about

Ryno12
05-23-13, 14:28

Oh, I've got wooden nickels... and let me tell you, they're good for more things than just "one scoop" of ice cream. I also know where the adults got them from. :big_boss:

This place just closed down so I guess this post also applies to Doc Glockster's Bizarro thread to this one:https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131484

Moose-Knuckle
05-23-13, 16:12
Cap guns!

I had an awesome one that was modeled after a PPK, all metal, blued parts with plastic removable grips. It had a detachable europian style magazine with stripper type plastic caps. Each fired cap would be cut and ejected out of the top.

Not just cap guns.

I had quit the toy gun collection back in the 80's.This is before toy guns and airsoft crap was painted bright orange or clear so as to let folks know they were not real. I even kept them in a surplus M67 90MM wood ammunition crate. I had a cousin the same age and we always played either cowboys and indians or G.I. Joe and he though I was rich because of all toy guns I had!

There was a toy line called Delta Force that was available at fine retailers like Wal-Mart. :D They made a 1:1 scale Tec-9, German MP-40, etc. I had plasic Mini-Uzis, M16A1s (a tube of plastic taped beneath the triangle hardguards served as an M203), AK-47s, and 1911s.

brickboy240
05-23-13, 16:18
You cannot say "Merry Christmas" anymore because you might upset the people with the pressure cookers and meat cleavers.

-brickboy240

Ryno12
05-23-13, 16:23
You cannot say "Merry Christmas" anymore because you might upset the people with the pressure cookers and meat cleavers.

-brickboy240

F*ck them. I say Merry Christmas to everyone, however, I do refuse to wear any Christmas sweaters. :p

Sent via Tapatalk

Zhurdan
05-23-13, 16:37
Oh, I've got wooden nickels... and let me tell you, they're good for more things than just "one scoop" of ice cream. I also know where the adults got them from. :big_boss:

This place just closed down so I guess this post also applies to Doc Glockster's Bizarro thread to this one:https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131484

Gives a whole new meaning to "two scoops" doesn't it? :D

DDM4LV1
05-23-13, 21:05
U.S.A.

DragonDoc
05-25-13, 01:38
I miss going to the Mall and hanging out in Aladdin's Castle and playing asteriods, Defender and other video games back in the 80s. You can't find an arcade with any good games anymore. Online streaming killed the video store and online gaming killed the arcade.

SteyrAUG
05-25-13, 11:58
I miss going to the Mall and hanging out in Aladdin's Castle and playing asteriods, Defender and other video games back in the 80s. You can't find an arcade with any good games anymore. Online streaming killed the video store and online gaming killed the arcade.

Always seemed like the arcade was across from the movie theater, the popcorn smell always made me hungry.

Ryno12
05-25-13, 12:15
I guess I never realized that Aladdin's Castle was a chain. I always thought we had the only one. I've dropped a few quarters at that place back in my day.

I thought of something else the other day when my daughter skinned her knees while playing outside. "We gotta get some Mercurochrome on there", I said to her... jokingly, of course. That & iodine seemed to be the remedy for skinned elbows & knees when I was a kid.

Sent via Tapatalk

DragonDoc
05-25-13, 12:47
I also miss building ramps and jumping our BMX bikes. I don't see any kids doing that these days. I also don't see kids playing pick up football or baseball in empty lots. We have some woods near our subdivision that the power lines run through. I don't see any kids back in there playing or riding motocross bikes. I have never seen a kid out and about with a bb gun. It is like our kids are shut ins.

tb-av
05-25-13, 13:31
Have a couple wooden nickels. One is actually a wooden rectangle.

Have this as well... didn't have as an adult but can you imagine someone making these today. Just as a novelty. My grandmother gave these to me when I was probably under 5

Novelty boxing gloves. Leather, padded, lined and most likely hand stitched.

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16812&stc=1&d=1369506564

Army Chief
05-25-13, 15:56
S&H Green Stamps, anyone?

AC

Ryno12
05-25-13, 17:33

AC

I think I kinda, sorta, vaguely remember those... maybe. Did you get those at a grocery store or something, and the amount of stamps you got depended on the amount of money you spent? I think I remember my grandma handing me those when I went shopping with her as a kid. Was it a rewards program of sorts? This would've been in the 70's that I'm thinking back to.

Sent via Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
05-25-13, 17:46

AC

My God....

And of course as the designated indentured servant of the house it was the job of me and my older brother (who of course was 5 years older than me so that meant me doing it alone) to put all those damn stamps in those damn books.

This was the one time being a "well off" kid bit me in the ass. Every week my mother would come home with yards of those damn stamps because that his how much she spent at the grocery store.

And for all that effort, do you think I ever got a vote regarding what we should get?

At least my Dad explained to me that a wet wash cloth would move things along a lot faster.

Hated those damn stamps.

Moose-Knuckle
05-25-13, 18:37

AC

Hah, there use to be one of their stores down the road from my grandmother's house.

PA PATRIOT
05-25-13, 20:14
I miss the days were the older folks born just before or at the turn of the century (1900) used to tell me stories about WW1 Thu Korea and I could sit there for hours listening and looking at pictures.

Also during the fall I would be visiting my grandfather in NJ on the weekends and he used to hand me a single shot 410 with two pumpkin ball shells and a few #6's and send me hunting in the woods at the end of the road. I was 10yrs old walking up the road by myself with a gun and no one would ever bat a eye. Most times I sat under a 75yr old neighbors apple tree waiting for the deer to show up and he would help me push one back in a wheelbarrow if I got lucky.

Frankford/Unity Store that had a ice cream bar and a Hugh penny candy counter and they even gave out S&H Green Stamps. The store was run by one family for over 100yrs and the owner always gave us a few extra pieces of penny candy for using proper manners while in the store.

Lastly my group of friends while growing up that are now scattered to the four winds or passed on. Some of my best memories are with these guys and its a shame once you lose contact with them.

DragonDoc
05-27-13, 20:53
I miss $.10 honey drippers. Who remembers walking to the little old lady's home and buying a honey dripper on a hot day. You could also buy cookies for a nickle. The prices were great when you consider that you could turn soda bottles in for $.10.

Who misses schools that didn't allow candy and gum on campus? I made a small fortune selling Hubba Bubba and Bubble Yum for $.25 to $1.00 a piece.

SteyrAUG
05-27-13, 21:52
I miss $.10 honey drippers. Who remembers walking to the little old lady's home and buying a honey dripper on a hot day. You could also buy cookies for a nickle. The prices were great when you consider that you could turn soda bottles in for $.10.

Who misses schools that didn't allow candy and gum on campus? I made a small fortune selling Hubba Bubba and Bubble Yum for $.25 to $1.00 a piece.

I was dealing cinnamon paper. For an entire year my bedroom smelled like cinnamon oil.

sandman99and9
05-28-13, 06:25
I was dealing cinnamon paper. For an entire year my bedroom smelled like cinnamon oil.

Hahahaha, I was the candy man at my Jr. H.S. !! I would use my lunch money and buy a bag of red hots, now+laters, and gum then flip it at school for 2-3 times the money so I could get ice cream and Mt Dew after practice very day :D

The school liaison officer confiscated my stash one time but I was back in business the next day. Smarter than the average bear.......

S.M.

Straight Shooter
05-28-13, 06:44
Sandman99and9 & SteyrAUG-
O FOR THE DAYS when kids and candy were the WORST thing a teacher had to deal with!! Yalls posts brought back pleasant memories of my own....THANKS.;)

SteyrAUG
05-28-13, 14:03
Hahahaha, I was the candy man at my Jr. H.S. !! I would use my lunch money and buy a bag of red hots, now+laters, and gum then flip it at school for 2-3 times the money so I could get ice cream and Mt Dew after practice very day :D

The school liaison officer confiscated my stash one time but I was back in business the next day. Smarter than the average bear.......

S.M.

Candy wasn't specifically banned at my school. But you couldn't just buy cinnamon paper, you had to make it and most kids didn't know where to get cinnamon oil.

I also remember the day after halloween the school cafeteria became like the NY stock exchange. Kids brought in all the candy they received the night before that they didn't like it to trade for stuff they did like.

Suddenly D students could do advanced mathematics when negotiating deals.

Moose-Knuckle
05-28-13, 15:03
I also remember the day after halloween the school cafeteria became like the NY stock exchange. Kids brought in all the candy they received the night before that they didn't like it to trade for stuff they did like.

Suddenly D students could do advanced mathematics when negotiating deals.

As I read this portion of your post I couldn't help but hear the voice of Jean Shepherd . . . :lol:

SteyrAUG
05-28-13, 15:22
As I read this portion of your post I couldn't help but hear the voice of Jean Shepherd . . . :lol:

Classic.

Voodoochild
05-28-13, 16:09
Family values and personal responsibility.

Crow Hunter
05-28-13, 16:15
Being able to actually sleep throughout the whole night because I knew my Dad was there to protect me.

Getting up early on Saturday mornings to go with my Dad to look for washout Indian artifacts on TVA land (illegal now:mad:).

Riding into town with my Dad to the local gun store or coffee shop and listen to all the old men talk about stuff I didn't understand. (I understand it now, and I don't like it)

Feeling like America was the greatest country on earth and believing that we were the Hero's of the world and trusting the government that was "Of the people, by the people and for the people."

Spending the night at my Grandmother's house (1/8th of a mile down the road) and getting to watch Amazing Stories and Twilight Zone in the 1980's on CBS because she lived on a hill and her aerial could pick up CBS out of Paducah and then getting up the next morning and her fixing me home made sausages for breakfast.

My Grandmother's home made cheeseburgers. They were so good that my brother would take his extras to grade school and sell them for $5 each in the 1980's.:eek:

The absolute joy of Christmas with family and friends, not the melancholy tinged Christmas without people who have sinced passed away.

The church/local community that I had growing up. Everyone was a relative whether blood related or not and treated you as such.

I have way more, but now I am depressing myself.:(

SteyrAUG
05-28-13, 16:59
Crow Hunter, sadly I can relate to most of what you posted, especially the part about not feeling like you are "on your own" part.

I remember when Friday night used to be "family night" at my home. Usually meant we all went out to dinner, saw a movie or something like that. Eventually my brother found "more cool" things to do with his friends and my mother often did the same. That meant quite often it was just my father and I seeing a movie. We didn't mind, we were the "movie fans" of the family. Besides without my mother we didn't have to watch stuff like "Grease" (not that I hated it as a kid) and we could see things like "An American Werewolf in London" (even if it did scare the crap out of me.)

I also remember camping with my Dad. I still recall camping in Yellowstone and the Colorado mountains and sleeping under the stars.

With my Grandfather and my father both gone, things just aren't the same.

The_War_Wagon
05-28-13, 17:08
Morally STRAIGHT Scouting... :o

Crow Hunter
05-28-13, 17:36
Crow Hunter, sadly I can relate to most of what you posted, especially the part about not feeling like you are "on your own" part.

I remember when Friday night used to be "family night" at my home. Usually meant we all went out to dinner, saw a movie or something like that. Eventually my brother found "more cool" things to do with his friends and my mother often did the same. That meant quite often it was just my father and I seeing a movie. We didn't mind, we were the "movie fans" of the family. Besides without my mother we didn't have to watch stuff like "Grease" (not that I hated it as a kid) and we could see things like "An American Werewolf in London" (even if it did scare the crap out of me.)

I also remember camping with my Dad. I still recall camping in Yellowstone and the Colorado mountains and sleeping under the stars.

With my Grandfather and my father both gone, things just aren't the same.

I have similar story. I moved back home after I graduated college intending to move out after I found a job. I wound up staying there for a couple of years until I met my wife and got married. I had dated and even gotten engaged and it just wasn't working out. So on Saturday nights, rather than dating, most of the time, I would hang out with my Dad and we would watch old movies on AMC or stuff on the History Channel and just talk about different things. The movies weren't so good, but the time with him was priceless.

A lot of my friends made fun of me because I was living at home with my parents and not out hunting for girls every weekend, and I am sure that some of the dates I did have didn't work out because I was living at home.

However, not long after, my Dad found out that he had colon cancer that had moved on to his liver. He passed away not long after. Looking back, I wouldn't trade those Saturday nights for anything in the world.

3 AE
05-28-13, 21:34
The pocket transistor radio. My brother and I would listen to the Chicago Cubs and the Blackhawks play over the radio. After awhile you could almost picture in your head what was going on. Your imagination took over and it was great. Then to go to Wrigley Field and the old Chicago Stadium for the first time and see them play live. Damn, I thought I was in Heaven. Then we got a 19" Zenith black and white TV and it's been downhill ever since! :(

Submariner
05-29-13, 13:02
Greenie Stickum Caps and a Fanner 50 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qXLxHi9_8)

With accompanying lever-action rifle, of course! :dance3:

Hasbro later came out with a 1911 and M14 like them.

Damn, I'm old.

SteyrAUG
05-29-13, 13:14
Greenie Stickum Caps and a Fanner 50 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qXLxHi9_8)

Damn, I'm old.

That rocked.

I had fun growing up when I did, but I remember seeing pictures of my Dad and his friends and you could walk around dressed exactly like that kid without all the other kids calling you a dork. Blue jeans all around, cowboy shirts and a D Boone coon skin hat here and there. Had to have been a great time to be a kid.

When I was growing up maybe we took ourselves just a bit too seriously.

Cincinnatus
05-29-13, 13:24

Damn, I'm old.

That is outstanding, and yes, definitely different times back then--and i, too, grieve their passing.

SteyrAUG
03-08-19, 18:13
We need some new contributions to this topic.

Diamondback
03-08-19, 18:38

Easy enough.

My friends. Most of them when I was a kid were my grandfather's buddies, and at thirty-eight I'm the last of that crowd still alive. (Really frightening is that I'm hearing of CLASSMATES getting put into the ground already... and this is a pretty quiet little slice of suburbia other than the meth-heads.)

Also, I miss not having to be Armed Guard on your own home to keep the tweakers from breaking in and ripping off everything...

Ryno12
03-08-19, 18:45

Honest, non biased journalism.

Democrats that aren’t radical lunatics.

jsbhike
03-08-19, 19:45

If we are limiting that to main stream tv, Stossel is the only one in my lifetime I am aware of and he is still alive.

Diamondback
03-08-19, 19:48
If we are limiting that to main stream tv, Stossel is the only one in my lifetime I am aware of and he is still alive.

Maybe Sharyl Attkisson too.

jsbhike
03-08-19, 20:00
Maybe Sharyl Attkisson too.

Never heard her, but summaries sound pretty good.

Anyone mention rotary dial phones?

MegademiC
03-08-19, 20:05
Just saw the OP. We still have a drive-in theatre back in my home-town.
It was fun taking my wife there (a few years ago when we were still dating) to see her first drive-in movie.

chuckman
03-08-19, 20:07
Drive ins
Montgomery Ward
Best Products
Whirly Burger

Firefly
03-08-19, 20:16
I miss candy cigarettes and girls beng girls until age 15 or 16.

Like if I see a girl dressed modestly, I actually do a double take.

I also miss playing Tail Gunner in the station wagon

jsbhike
03-08-19, 20:18
Just saw the OP. We still have a drive-in theatre back in my home-town.
It was fun taking my wife there (a few years ago when we were still dating) to see her first drive-in movie.

Still one in my town. I think I know of 2 more that have reopened recently.

There were 2 in town growing up. One that closed by the time I was 10 showed something close to porn (or maybe full deal) for the late show. I can remember my Mom telling me not to look which glued my face to the side window of course.

Still have a video rental store(Not Redbox) in town too.

jsbhike
03-08-19, 20:40
Easy enough.

My friends. Most of them when I was a kid were my grandfather's buddies, and at thirty-eight I'm the last of that crowd still alive. (Really frightening is that I'm hearing of CLASSMATES getting put into the ground already... and this is a pretty quiet little slice of suburbia other than the meth-heads.)

There is a church with cemetery near a hiking area and from what I have seen the majority of headstones indicate 50 years old or less and quite a few teens and spread out over decades so nothing like OD's currently or Spanish Flu type deaths.

The_War_Wagon
03-08-19, 21:15
Fedoras

AndyLate
03-08-19, 21:20

Definitely a relic of our past.

Diamondback
03-08-19, 21:21
Definitely a relic of our past.

If it ever really existed. Cronkite was a flaming Commie turd, and I'm not so sure Murrow was on the level...

flenna
03-08-19, 21:35

I am with you. My Dad had a '76 or '77 Olds station wagon with a big block v-8. Being the oldest child I always got the tail gunner seat. Good times....

AndyLate
03-08-19, 21:54
I remember the days when most people watched TV off the air and the channels were limited (grew up in the sticks). Virtually everyone watched the same shows and talked about them the next day. I remember many a discussion with my boss in high school about the most recent Miami Vice episode, and all the kids talking about Knight Rider in school.

I remember, but don't miss black and white TV. I graduated HS in '86 and we did not have a color set.

I miss the days when we all listened to white artists, black artists, hispanic American artists and judged them on their abilities not the color of their skin.

I miss cars that anyone could work on, even though modern cars have 2-3x the useful life.

26 Inf
03-08-19, 22:18
I miss full-service gas stations. During my pre-teen childhood we lived across the street (actually a highway that ran through town) from a gas station. I hung around there bothering the owner and his helper. I learned a lot about how car stuff worked and also was able to use their tools to work on my bike. My mom claimed I also learned some choice words and phrases over there. As a result I was grounded from going over there a couple of times.

What I really miss is that our parents kind of let us be kids. I played baseball, football and basketball with friends throughout my childhood, the first organized sport I played was football in the 7th grade. Now kids don't play anymore, then go to practice - run by adults - and then compete.

I also miss climbing over the fence at the drive-in before we were old enough to drive.

SteyrAUG
03-09-19, 01:45
So one more for the list now that I'm back in Iowa.

Accessible schools. Used to be you walked in, went to the office and got a visitors pass. But I stopped by the old high school where a friend works as a SRO and you need a key to get into any door. So I had to call him on my cell phone so he could come open the door.

I understand why, it was just very different and very sad.

And as a consequence, kids aren't allowed to eat lunch off campus. I knew kids who went home to make lunch cause they lived nearby and of course most of us jammed Burger King and Taco Johns during the lunch hour. Now high school kids are held hostage eating Michelle Obama approved healthy meals and there are no vending machines for sodas.

I would absolutely lose my shit. Just one more "normal" that my generation took for granted that these kids will never understand.

prepare
03-09-19, 04:36
America

mark5pt56
03-09-19, 06:03
If you ever go to Biloxi, MS, there's still one on the way to the airport via the shore drive. Though that was pretty cool, even had the hose that dinged your arrival!

I miss full-service gas stations. During my pre-teen childhood we lived across the street (actually a highway that ran through town) from a gas station. I hung around there bothering the owner and his helper. I learned a lot about how car stuff worked and also was able to use their tools to work on my bike. My mom claimed I also learned some choice words and phrases over there. As a result I was grounded from going over there a couple of times.

What I really miss is that our parents kind of let us be kids. I played baseball, football and basketball with friends throughout my childhood, the first organized sport I played was football in the 7th grade. Now kids don't play anymore, then go to practice - run by adults - and then compete.

I also miss climbing over the fence at the drive-in before we were old enough to drive.

Circle_10
03-09-19, 07:29
I miss growing up in rural Maine in the early-mid 90s and listening to the whippoorwill choruses on summer nights.
Actually I miss a lot about growing up in rural Maine, but the whippoorwills are what sticks out to me the most because while rural Maine is still there, and I only live ten minutes from where I grew up, and visit there generally at least once a week, the whippoorwills have been gone a long time now. I haven't heard one anywhere other than YouTube videos in about 20 years.

Outlander Systems
03-09-19, 07:57
Liberty and security.

Alex V
03-09-19, 08:08
The lines for bread, toilet paper, sugar, milk and flower we had to stand in in Kiev in the late 80's. Though with assholes electing idiots like Bernie and AOC I feel they may make a comeback.

lol?

Outlander Systems
03-09-19, 08:26
“This time it will be different.”

The lines for bread, toilet paper, sugar, milk and flower we had to stand in in Kiev in the late 80's. Though with assholes electing idiots like Bernie and AOC I feel they may make a comeback.

lol?

AndyLate
03-09-19, 08:49
I miss full-service gas stations. During my pre-teen childhood we lived across the street (actually a highway that ran through town) from a gas station. I hung around there bothering the owner and his helper. I learned a lot about how car stuff worked and also was able to use their tools to work on my bike. My mom claimed I also learned some choice words and phrases over there.

I worked at a full-service station throughout high school. It was a good way to earn a little pocket money, learn through interactions with a wide spectrum of people, and pick up skills (we did tires, services and repairs) that I have used throughout life.

Full service stations were social equalizers. It didn't matter if you rolled up in a shiny expensive new car wearing a suit or a rusty POS, workers were trained taught to greet you politely and respectfully, wash your windshield, pump your gas, thank you and wish you a nice day.

OH58D
03-09-19, 09:34
What is gone today is the primary ability to interact with people up close and personal. You look them in the eyes, you have conversation, you laughed, you cried, you feel the warmth of that other person. You communicated in something more than three-letter acronyms in texts. Now you are a friend or not with the push of a button. Everyone wanders around thru life with a device in their right hand, thumb working constantly, head down.

This is why I am not on social media. If anything, it has changed forever how "social" people are. I reject it.

Circle_10
03-09-19, 09:51
What is gone today is the primary ability to interact with people up close and personal. You look them in the eyes, you have conversation, you laughed, you cried, you feel the warmth of that other person. You communicated in something more than three-letter acronyms in texts. Now you are a friend or not with the push of a button. Everyone wanders around thru life with a device in their right hand, thumb working constantly, head down.

This is why I am not on social media. If anything, it has changed forever how "social" people are. I reject it.

I honestly am not a social person, I never have been, so there are times I don't always object to this new culture where nobody feels compelled to acknowledge or try and make awkward small talk with me. I find I like not being paid attention to.
But things all too often can tilt into the realm of the absurd these days. Last week on a bright, sunny Sunday my GF and I were driving by an outdoor ice skating pond and there were three preteen girls, wearing skates and standing stock-still in a row out on the ice with their heads down, all texting on their phones, it just struck me as an almost darkly humorous symptom of the times.

Firefly
03-09-19, 10:08

This. It used to be easier to make friends

prdubi
03-09-19, 10:13
People actually visited me as phones were rare when I 1st studied in Hungary.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 AE
03-09-19, 20:08
Neighborhood beat cops. Growing up in Chicago in the 60's there were policemen that still walked the beat. They lived in the neighborhood, and really got to know the families and their children. They knew who the troublemakers were and who the "good" kids were. They gave words of encouragement to study hard and be good students, gave batting tips when we were walking to our Little League game, telling us to stay out of trouble, and to respect our parents, teachers, veterans, firemen, and clergymen. I don't ever remember being afraid of a cop. I look back and realized how fortunate I was to have the support and guidance of parents, scout leaders, teachers, clergy, coaches, and LEO's. I thank them all.

26 Inf
03-09-19, 23:16
I worked at a full-service station throughout high school. It was a good way to earn a little pocket money, learn through interactions with a wide spectrum of people, and pick up skills (we did tires, services and repairs) that I have used throughout life.

Full service stations were social equalizers. It didn't matter if you rolled up in a shiny expensive new car wearing a suit or a rusty POS, workers were trained taught to greet you politely and respectfully, wash your windshield, pump your gas, thank you and wish you a nice day.

Off topic about full-service stations.

Myself and one of our dispatchers were going out shooting one day. We pulled into a full service station and my friend, who was driving, spoke loudly enough for the attendant to hear as he came out the door 'Could I get a pack of Salems?' The attendant, who was soon to be my buddy's good friend, said 'What's the matter, your leg broke?' Wrong answer.

My buddy, who was an above the knee double amputee (not that common in the 70's) opened the car door, flopped out onto the ground, and 'crutched' himself using his hands across the drive into the station - 'I'll get 'em bud.'

The poor attendant was beside himself, 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'll get them.'

Quickly sorted out, but I think the station guy was probably shell shocked for the rest of his shift.

SteyrAUG
03-10-19, 00:13
This. It used to be easier to make friends

Funny enough I've met some good people on the internet that I consider good friends. And not just online, but in real life. The internet is just another medium, you can use it to zone out like people did with TV, radio or whatever or you can organize a local shooting club.

And honestly, if somebody is gonna zone out on their phone all day, we probably didn't have much in common anyway. Outdoor "do stuff" people are eventually gonna put the phone down and do stuff.

Business_Casual
03-10-19, 07:45
Every thing being closed on National holidays. The streets were quiet, if you forgot milk, you made do. Now I find myself in Giant on Christmas Day getting soap or bread and it makes me sad.

Firefly
03-10-19, 09:56
I feel like being grim this Sunday.

My parents, grandparents, and other assorted loved ones. Pets too.

Screw candy, toys, political bullshit, "liberties", and TV shows.

And after enough time goes by, it will be the same for the rest of you

jpmuscle
03-10-19, 11:53
Happiness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
03-10-19, 16:15
I feel like being grim this Sunday.

My parents, grandparents, and other assorted loved ones. Pets too.

Screw candy, toys, political bullshit, "liberties", and TV shows.

And after enough time goes by, it will be the same for the rest of you

I'm there with you. But some things you understand you have to accept and nothing you can do can get them back.

I'd trade a lot of stuff for a few more years with my Dad and Grandfather. Hardest thing about being back in town is everything is still so familiar I sometimes forget. I'll be on my way to grab lunch and for the quickest second I'll think to myself "I should go pick up Dad and take him to lunch" and then I remember I can't.

gunrunner505
03-10-19, 20:58
Civility.

Averageman
03-10-19, 22:22
Innocence is gone.
Everyone is either pushing kids to grow up too fast or locking them in the house because they are afraid, well that's between trips to the day care.
My Summers were spent fishing, hiking and going to Grandpa's farm where we played Army and hide and seek and caught lightening bugs. You just don't see that anymore.
Childhood should prepare you for adulthood, so what are the kids growing up now going to be like as adults?

SteyrAUG
03-11-19, 01:22
Innocence is gone.
Everyone is either pushing kids to grow up too fast or locking them in the house because they are afraid, well that's between trips to the day care.
My Summers were spent fishing, hiking and going to Grandpa's farm where we played Army and hide and seek and caught lightening bugs. You just don't see that anymore.
Childhood should prepare you for adulthood, so what are the kids growing up now going to be like as adults?

Perspective.

Lot's of kids during the 30s grew up indigent or were already running booze. And I mean children. Ten years later many of them enlisted right after Pearl Harbor and went on to do amazing things.

Obviously not everyone was a success story, not everyone did their part, but we tend to think of "good old days" and pretend nothing bad ever happened and we tend to view the present as completely lost.

The truth is if we each did our best, with our little corner of the world, our world would be a nicer place. Lots of people are still doing that and raising their kids to be good people. But somewhere in town some kid is making $5 to deliver meth.

Diamondback
03-11-19, 01:26
It's back to the cycle:

Hard times breed strong men.
Strong men breed good times.
Good times breed weak men.
Weak men breed hard times.

Given how many generations straight of ever-weaker men Western Civilization as a whole has been breeding... well, I almost shit myself when I think of what's coming at the next stage and the overcorrections that will follow from it.

"I tremble for my country when I remember that God is just."--Thomas Jefferson

Doc Safari
03-11-19, 11:30
Unfortunately, it becomes clearer every day that the country I once knew is long gone.

Arik
03-11-19, 12:50

Yes!!!! I used to use my dad's steering wheel club (remember that thing?) as the rifle

Arik
03-11-19, 12:52
I miss full-service gas stations.

All NJ gas stations are full service!

sgtrock82
03-11-19, 13:51
Anyone mention rotary dial phones?

Or pulse dial. How about the old 50ft phone cords so you coud talk anywhere in the house!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

sgtrock82
03-11-19, 13:57
All NJ gas stations are full service!Indeed but definitely not the same as they were when I was a kid. I still have a set of greasy, welded spattered vice grips the local gas station attendant, a shaggy blonde haired guy I knew as "Grease", clamped something on my dads car so he could make it home one day and told him to keep them.

Arik
03-11-19, 14:03
Indeed but definitely not the same as they were when I was a kid. I still have a set of greasy, welded spattered vice grips the local gas station attendant, a shaggy blonde haired guy I knew as "Grease", clamped something on my dads car so he could make it home one day and told him to keep them.

Sent from my SM-J727T using TapatalkI see what you mean but I think todays cars don't really need an oil check at every fill up. Even tire sensors have been around for at least 15 years. I have a 12 year old car with 115k and I don't open the hood unless I happen to run out of windshield wiper fluid, which happens like two times a year

jsbhike
03-11-19, 14:42
television sets where the housing was basically a fairly nicely finished piece of hard wood furniture.

And approximately 9.5 pounds per screen inch.

And could be repaired cheaper than buying new.

Arik
03-11-19, 14:57
television sets where the housing was basically a fairly nicely finished piece of hard wood furniture.

And approximately 9.5 pounds per screen inch.

And could be repaired cheaper than buying new.Ha! We had one of those. 50lb piece of furniture with a 20in TV! I'm so glad that fad is gone

Pi3
03-11-19, 17:07
Ha! We had one of those. 50lb piece of furniture with a 20in TV! I'm so glad that fad is gone

My folks kept the cabinet after the TV died. Still had all the TV guts inside, but doors covered the screen.

Arik
03-11-19, 17:16
My folks kept the cabinet after the TV died. Still had all the TV guts inside, but doors covered the screen.My buddy recently got rid of that cabinet record player thing.

sgtrock82
03-11-19, 17:32
I see what you mean but I think todays cars don't really need an oil check at every fill up. Even tire sensors have been around for at least 15 years. I have a 12 year old car with 115k and I don't open the hood unless I happen to run out of windshield wiper fluid, which happens like two times a year Wasnt lamenting a lack of service, but the more friendly amenable atmosphere... not that Atlantic City ever had great atmosphere, it was still a bit rough back then kinda like where its heading now if not worse already lol

Of course these days even if cars did need more regular check ups, the facebook will still need an update/ selfie from the attendant and who can check oil one handed!?

Pi3
03-11-19, 17:50
The milk man delivered milk to the door step in glass bottles. You put out the empties to be recycled.

jsbhike
03-11-19, 18:57
16oz returnable glass soft drink bottles.

Been getting the 355ml glass Cokes and Fantas(with sugar!) from Mexico for awhile, but recently tried a new Mexican restaurant and they brought me out a 500ml Coke that I am pretty sure is the same as the old 16oz Come returnables....not as curvy.

Arik
03-11-19, 19:22
Wasnt lamenting a lack of service, but the more friendly amenable atmosphere... not that Atlantic City ever had great atmosphere, it was still a bit rough back then kinda like where its heading now if not worse already lol

Of course these days even if cars did need more regular check ups, the facebook will still need an update/ selfie from the attendant and who can check oil one handed!?

Sent from my SM-J727T using TapatalkI get where you were coming from. It just hit me as I was replying why we don't need that kind of gas station service!

Yea... Atlantic City...it's headed right back to where it was in the 70s

jsbhike
12-11-19, 10:07
Found it!

Cartoon booths. Looked a lot like photo booths, but instead of getting your picture taken, get inside and sit down to a cartoon. The only ones I recall were Walt Lantz.

P2Vaircrewman
12-11-19, 10:23
Cars that are simple to work on.
Packaging that doesn't require C4 to open.

Pi3
12-11-19, 11:54
They would x-ray my feet as a little kid when trying on shoes. Bad news for the shoe sales person getting a steady dose of radiation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVlEXd9w7vk

Grand58742
12-11-19, 13:31
I miss High School students actually eating in the school cafeteria and not descending on Chick-fil-A like a Mongol horde at lunchtime.

It's not the wait time (I use the app and order ahead) however, who wants to be in a crowded parking lot with a bunch of teenage drivers?

armtx77
12-11-19, 13:37
-Soda in glass bottles at the gas station.
-Kang-A-Roo tennis shoes. Simply called Roos.
-Handling up on the school bully behind the dumpster and the school admin understanding, that is how boys work out their energy.
-$.69 cent a pack of 22 LR ammo.
-3 packs of Tops baseball cards for $.99
-MacGyver
-Falcon Crest
-MTV playing music videos.
-Farms that still had dirty fence rows.

Just my innocence in general. Adulting/Parenting is such a drag sometimes. Work,pay bills, trying to raise a son to be in line, another pet human on the way...I just want to back to wanting to see a naked woman for the first time in a Hustler Mag.

Johnny Rico
12-12-19, 05:00
Privacy.

Arik
12-12-19, 06:16
Privacy.Amen!

Good music

The_War_Wagon
12-12-19, 06:47
The Democratic Party.

All that is left, is "democraps." :bad:

prdubi
12-12-19, 06:59
Writing letters...
Used to be a big letter writer and I used to receive letters from everyone.

Cursive writing is gone also and nobody teaches that anymore.

jsbhike
12-12-19, 07:14
Writing letters...
Used to be a big letter writer and I used to receive letters from everyone.

Cursive writing is gone also and nobody teaches that anymore.

I think my kid's school has some. Started out stating they weren't, then out of the blue they did some although I don't think it was on the same level as decades past.

After several semesters of lettering in drafting classes followed up by 25+ years and counting of keyboard use I really have to stop and think about writing cursive beyond signing my name. Years ago that was only an issue with Q and Zz that never got much use beyond initial practicing.

OH58D
12-12-19, 07:46
Typewriters. When in high school, we all had to take a typewriting class. We used manual typewriters and I reached a blistering 36 wpm. When I entered college in 1978, I went totally modern and bought a Smith-Corona electric typewriter, with a correction cartridge you would insert to fix mistakes.

When researching for a paper at the University of Arizona Main Library, you'd take either note cards or a yellow legal pad with you for writing down your research, then back at your apartment you'd take those notes and bang out your finished product.

On a side note of going totally modern, I think I was ahead of my time in other areas while in college. I am left handed so my cursive art is not the most neat. When attending lectures in some science class one day a week where you're with 700 other students in a lecture hall, I'd bring along a cassette recorder and record the lecture, instead of trying to write notes down for 1.5 hours. When studying, I'd just replay the lecture. Keep in mind this was between 1978-1982.

jsbhike
12-12-19, 08:00
Went in a weird reverse order, but used 3.5" disks in late 1980's junior high, then 5.25" disks in high school, and a 1992 college computer class featured data entry terminals with a mainframe in another building. All gone.

Firefly
12-12-19, 08:07
I kinda miss the innocence of computing. The Old Internet where there was no moderation because you didn’t need it. Everyone was genuinely helpful.

I also miss Quake 3 Arena LAN parties.

Kenneth
12-12-19, 09:01
I miss being able to walk around town with your pellet gun and not get the police called on you.

Miss going to high school and seeing all the gun racks with shotguns in the truck windows.

I’m only 34 for the record!

This world is starting to suck balls quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prdubi
12-12-19, 09:16
I remember that time also..

Sprague HS Salem Oregon 1990.
Principal ask all with guns in the car and truck to bring them in to store in the school safe.
Make sure it is unloaded.

Arik
12-12-19, 09:19
I remember that time also..

Sprague HS Salem Oregon 1990.
Principal ask all with guns in the car and truck to bring them in to store in the school safe.
Make sure it is unloaded.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk1998, kids were bringing their rifles to school (kept in cars) during hunting season.

26 Inf
12-12-19, 18:15
My little buddy. I followed him almost religiously from the time I was thirteen or fourteen.

He got me in trouble, got me in fights, and cost me lots of money and wasted time in pursuit of his dreams.

Now, fifty-three years later, I find it hard to say, but, sometimes seeing the end of the news is more important than my little buddy.

AKDoug
12-12-19, 18:20
I think my kid's school has some. Started out stating they weren't, then out of the blue they did some although I don't think it was on the same level as decades past.

After several semesters of lettering in drafting classes followed up by 25+ years and counting of keyboard use I really have to stop and think about writing cursive beyond signing my name. Years ago that was only an issue with Q and Zz that never got much use beyond initial practicing.

8 years of field books as a land surveyor (plus lettering plats), broke me of cursive completely. I only print, I am fast at it, and it's totally legible. I have no clue why people put any importance on cursive.

AKDoug
12-12-19, 18:22
My little buddy. I followed him almost religiously from the time I was thirteen or fourteen.

He got me in trouble, got me in fights, and cost me lots of money and wasted time in pursuit of his dreams.

Now, fifty-three years later, I find it hard to say, but, sometimes seeing the end of the news is more important than my little buddy. Just for you.. NSFW..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djYz6p3i-t0

Diamondback
12-12-19, 18:30
I kinda miss the innocence of computing. The Old Internet where there was no moderation because you didn’t need it. Everyone was genuinely helpful.

I also miss Quake 3 Arena LAN parties.

Fly, if I can ever get my frat brothers back together you're always welcome to saddle up and come ride with The Horsemen. :) Hope you like Team Deathmatch...

Pi3
12-12-19, 20:54
Rotary phones with a party line. You would pick up the phone to dial, and someone else was talking.
You would wait a few minutes and pick up again until you had a clear signal.

Diamondback
12-12-19, 20:57
People who understood the concepts of "class" and "style."

Just for one illustration:
https://thumbs2.imagebam.com/c8/25/a1/6b04251326986885.jpg

Firefly
12-13-19, 01:57
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e2/92/4e/e2924e73a977a0aa756b6984d3747bac--skateboard-fashion-skater-fashion.jpg

The late 80s for me in a nutshell. Except I alternated between my Jam pants and my old man’s old jungle trousers. The old green poplins that felt like silk after a while.

All I cared about was skating, Nintendo, hair metal, and other stuff. It was a carefree time. I kinda blame gangster rap for the societal decline. One week the black kids are skating and blasting Prince and the next week they are wearing starter jackets and running their suck about guns they don’t have and the “West Side”

Oh yeah West Side Story. I saw that too.

It was pretty lame. Mumble rap lame.

I actually wanna get back into skating. I took one of my old boards out and went up and down the street a few times today. My trick days are behind me but it’s a liberating feeling

hotrodder636
12-13-19, 02:47
I have wondered about the “desire” to know cursive myself. I have never really used it and am quite quick at print as well due to my line of work.

8 years of field books as a land surveyor (plus lettering plats), broke me of cursive completely. I only print, I am fast at it, and it's totally legible. I have no clue why people put any importance on cursive.

flenna
12-13-19, 06:03
People who understood the concepts of "class" and "style."

Just for one illustration:
https://thumbs2.imagebam.com/c8/25/a1/6b04251326986885.jpg

No kidding. My 14 year old son loves black and white movies and is upset that "women don't look or dress like that anymore".

prdubi
12-13-19, 06:16
No kidding. My 14 year old son loves black and white movies and is upset that "women don't look or dress like that anymore".Gloria Steinem needs gas.

jsbhike
12-13-19, 09:41
Never been big on lots of makeup, but for sure don't like what appears to be an equivalent amount of time spent to look bad.

T2C
12-13-19, 09:44
I miss the concept of individual responsibility. When that concept was popular, we could leave the doors on our homes unlocked, the keys in our cars and we did not have to worry about locking up firearms when teenagers were in the house.

Pi3
12-13-19, 09:54
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e2/92/4e/e2924e73a977a0aa756b6984d3747bac--skateboard-fashion-skater-fashion.jpg

The late 80s for me in a nutshell. Except I alternated between my Jam pants and my old man’s old jungle trousers. The old green poplins that felt like silk after a while.

All I cared about was skating, Nintendo, hair metal, and other stuff. It was a carefree time. I kinda blame gangster rap for the societal decline. One week the black kids are skating and blasting Prince and the next week they are wearing starter jackets and running their suck about guns they don’t have and the “West Side”

Oh yeah West Side Story. I saw that too.

It was pretty lame. Mumble rap lame.

I actually wanna get back into skating. I took one of my old boards out and went up and down the street a few times today. My trick days are behind me but it’s a liberating feeling

I was skateboarding starting in the early 60's and finally gave it up after about 35 years off and on. We had hills too steep to go down from the top, but we tried anyway. Would be going faster than I could run, so when it started to wobble, would have to jump off and slide. The boards & wheels were tiny at first and gradually started getting bigger as time went along. This might be worth its own thread.

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/blog/en/wiki/skateboarding/history-of-skateboarding/

jsbhike
12-13-19, 09:59
The baggy clothes skate boarder reminded me. Gym I went to in the early 90's was owned by a cool cop who picked up an FFL so the display wall behind the front desk had workout baggies, T shirts, lifting belts, along with whatever was hot on the import market at the time. MAK90, several SKS variants, Tokarevs, Makarovs, and so on.

the AR-15 Junkie
12-13-19, 15:36
My #12 tooth I grew up with, its gone forever.

Pi3
12-13-19, 15:47
My #12 tooth I grew up with, its gone forever.

If we are going to get anatomical, The hair on the top of my head. I especially miss it in this cold weather.

CAMagnussen
12-13-19, 16:35
How about just being able for my parents to let me go all over my neighborhood, several square miles, until the street lights came on without worrying about some pervert kidnapping me? Or doing that with my pellet gun plinking away at whatever I wanted to as long as it was not unsafe? Those days are gone.

jsbhike
12-13-19, 16:54
If we are going to get anatomical, The hair on the top of my head. I especially miss it in this cold weather.

Here too. I always thought the claims of heat loss without a hat on was ridiculous until I went from a lot of hair to none.

THCDDM4
12-14-19, 14:51
General sanity among the whole of our population. It's gone forever it would seem...

SteyrAUG
12-14-19, 20:12
General sanity among the whole of our population. It's gone forever it would seem...

I think if we had the internet in 1969 people would arrive at basically the same conclusion. Hell growing up in the 80s I met grown ups who genuinely believed the moon landing was faked. The internet has allowed fringe / crazy / radical elements of society to not just promote their views / beliefs but let them gather together in support groups which allows them to feel mainstream and normal.

Kind of like being a pedophile at a giant NAMBLA convention. If everyone is as bad as you or worse, you start to think there is actually nothing wrong with you and it's simply a sexual preference that must be accepted. And if that group is large enough, they can seek and demand mainstream acceptance and the general population has been so conditioned that to "judge or despise" is wrong that they eventually capitulate so they aren't viewed as a hater or racist.

Firefly
12-14-19, 20:32
Everything is a trade off. I miss some of the (perceived) innocence of the times of my youth but I’m sitting in la casa del Firefly in my Adidas sweats posting on an iPad, watching anime on my flatscreen TV, and listening to music on my bluetooth headphones with some Glocks and nice ARs in the safe.

In my day you had a VCR, a walkman, FM radio, and 3 channels unless you had cable (we didn’t until the 90s. I relied on friends in town to record a full days worth of HBO or MTV.

I mean I can argue with people across the world over nothing when I remember in 4th grade having to write to kids in Soviet Russia and being told by the teacher not to brag about my toy guns, my Nintendo, my Transformers, or my tape deck because communists didn’t have stuff. Which is kinda BS. They were closer to Japan and nobody asked them to be Communists.

Everything a trade off.

Diamondback
12-14-19, 21:16

Amen, brother. Amen. :(