PDA

View Full Version : Prayers out to the folks in Oklahoma

Voodoochild
05-20-13, 06:07
Prayers out to those in Oklahoma. Nasty twisters did some really bad damage.

montanadave
05-20-13, 15:20
It appears there is another major tornado moving through populated areas in/around OKC. Thoughts are with those in the path of this storm.

glocktogo
05-20-13, 15:40
It appears there is another major tornado moving through populated areas in/around OKC. Thoughts are with those in the path of this storm.

Yep. Big-assed F4/F5 that's been on the ground for nearly 30 minutes. I'm in Tulsa and we're watching the approach. I'll be headed home soon and I do have a safe room.

montanadave
05-20-13, 15:48
Now showing major damage in Moore, OK. Homes, schools, businesses ... looks very bad.

Safetyhit
05-20-13, 15:52
My son and I have been watching the massive tornado's live on FOX the past 20 min. You folks in that region do have our sincerest prayers indeed.

glocktogo
05-20-13, 15:55
My son and I have been watching the massive tornados live on FOX the past 20 min. You folks in that region doe have our sincerest prayers indeed.

Thanks. Moore, OK is the hardest hit. Same city that got devastated in the 1999 tornadoes. :(

montanadave
05-20-13, 16:00
Yep. Big-assed F4/F5 that's been on the ground for nearly 30 minutes. I'm in Tulsa and we're watching the approach. I'll be headed home soon and I do have a safe room.

Stay safe. I was living in Tulsa in the mid-eighties when a tornado came through in the middle of the night, leapfrogged right over the house we were renting near TU, and touched down again near the airport. Not being from tornado country, it scared the crap out of my ex-wife and me.

Safetyhit
05-20-13, 17:01
Am I a dick to point out that this thread has 124 reads since 7AM? Well maybe, but who really cares when we could be second guessing a fatal police shooting, discussing sig lines and overseas child rape.

THCDDM4
05-20-13, 17:05
Wow, those are HUGE tornadoes! Scary stuff.

Been in a tornado once in Nebraska and it was huge, but not that big; scared me to death to see such an amazing and powerful force so close and moving towards me.

I can't even imagine being in/near one that big...

Prayers out to OKC.

tb-av
05-20-13, 17:10
wow,,, two miles wide....

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18375741-major-damage-as-huge-tornado-rips-through-neighborhoods-south-of-oklahoma-city?lite

Grand58742
05-20-13, 17:24
Debris/funnel cloud went right over my town. Golf ball sized hail and high winds. Luckily enough didn't touch down. I have insulation all over my yard from Lord only knows where.

Had to help a buddy out yesterday. Storm sideswiped his house and laid down trees all over the place. Ended up getting the chainsaw a decent workout clearing the roads in and around his house.

Going to be a long week as we have more storms forecasted. This is only round 2 or 3 depending on which way you look at it.

tb-av
05-20-13, 17:28
Apparently they are looking for 75 children that were trapped in two schools that were destroyed???

Am I hearing that correctly?

jpmuscle
05-20-13, 17:31
Watching now.. crazy stuff...

Grand58742
05-20-13, 17:32
Apparently they are looking for 75 children that were trapped in two schools that were destroyed???

Am I hearing that correctly?

I think I just heard some were gotten out. KOCO has good up to minute info:

http://livewire.koco.com/Event/Live_Wire_Tracking_Oklahoma_storms_May_18

tb-av
05-20-13, 17:44
Per Mayor as of 6:39

Lost hospital.

Most of city leveled.

Can not confirm any fatalities.

Briarwood (?) school - all accounted for.

He has info on other schools but won't comment on it.

-------------
The earlier report said grades K, 1, 2, 3 where in a building that no longer exists. Seems like grades 4 and above are ok. No one is talking about grades 3 down and they are "listening for voices"

what a nightmare...

OK, they are interviewing some 3rd graders adn I see kids even younger. they must have gotten out. The kid said they are all alright and got out.

Ryno12
05-20-13, 17:46
Watching it now on the news. Living in the Midwest, this is one of my biggest fears. Prayers out to the families.

Sent via Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 18:04

Lost hospital.

Most of city leveled.

-------------
The earlier report said grades K, 1, 2, 3 where in a building that no longer exists. Seems like grades 4 and above are ok. No one is talking about grades 3 down and they are "listening for voices"

what a nightmare...

OK, they are interviewing some 3rd graders adn I see kids even younger. they must have gotten out. The kid said they are all alright and got out.

My God. Nightmare indeed.

Grand58742
05-20-13, 18:09
Some faith restored in humanity. Between yesterday and today, I've seen more ordinary folks running to the disaster area trying to help out than in most places. I've been through hurricanes, blizzards, tornadoes and earthquakes in my life. But never seen strangers gathering together to help out without question and hesitation like they do here.

I'm a Volunteer by birth, but damn proud to call myself a transplant Okie yesterday and today.

Belmont31R
05-20-13, 18:12
Amazing destruction. Hoping casualties are minimal.

jpmuscle
05-20-13, 18:25
Some faith restored in humanity. Between yesterday and today, I've seen more ordinary folks running to the disaster area trying to help out than in most places. I've been through hurricanes, blizzards, tornadoes and earthquakes in my life. But never seen strangers gathering together to help out without question and hesitation like they do here.

I'm a Volunteer by birth, but damn proud to call myself a transplant Okie yesterday and today.

x2... every once in awhile events like this come along and it's good to see that all of humanity is not for lost..

Belmont31R
05-20-13, 18:42
No longer rescue but a recovery at Plaza Elementary. 20-30 estimated.

Voodoochild
05-20-13, 18:44

Lost hospital.

Most of city leveled.

-------------

what a nightmare...

From what I hear it doesn't look good for the other school. Up to a dozen plus children missing. The rescue teams were moving into a recovery operation.

feedramp
05-20-13, 19:07
Talk about a douchebag: http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/20/democratic-senator-goes-on-anti-gop-rant-over-climate-change-as-tornadoes-hit-oklahoma/

Democratic Senator uses Okla. tornado for anti-GOP rant over global warming

While many Americans were tuned into news coverage of the massive damage from tornadoes ravaging the state of Oklahoma, Rhode Island Democratic Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse took to the Senate floor to rail against his Republican colleagues for denying the theory of anthropogenic global warming.

Whitehouse spent 15 minutes chastising GOP senators and justified his remarks by alluding to states that seek federal assistance in the wake of natural disasters.
This is the kind of dumbass who would demand legislation outlawing tornadoes over EF-2 just like he undoubtedly would vote for magazine capacity restrictions. Both equally effective measures.

Meanwhile:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567023

Scientists say the recent downturn in the rate of global warming will lead to lower temperature rises in the short-term.

Since 1998, there has been an unexplained "standstill" in the heating of the Earth's atmosphere.

Belmont31R
05-20-13, 19:33
37 confirmed so far.

Belmont31R
05-20-13, 19:59
Updated to 51 confirmed.

MountainRaven
05-20-13, 20:02
Kids or total?

Dead or survived?

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 20:03
News is reporting looting at the hospital site.

Scumbags.

Belmont31R
05-20-13, 20:06
Kids or total?

Dead or survived?

Total confirmed dead per state ME.

Pork Chop
05-20-13, 20:29
Living in Nebraska, this scares the shit out of me. Seen alot of tornadoes, but two miles wide? My God.

Praying they find some of those kids alive.

SeriousStudent
05-20-13, 20:37
My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this. I heard about the school on the drive home, and all I could think was "Please spare the children." :(

tb-av
05-20-13, 20:39
This one is saying 51 now.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/20/18375741-at-least-51-killed-as-tornado-tears-through-oklahoma-leaving-miles-of-debris?lite

Ryno12
05-20-13, 20:40
Living in Nebraska, this scares the shit out of me. Seen alot of tornadoes, but two miles wide? My God.

Praying they find some of those kids alive.

I hear ya buddy. We get a couple of scares year in this part of Wisconsin, but usually (knock on wood) nothing of that magnitude.

News is reporting looting at the hospital site.

Scumbags.

Go figure...

Sent via Tapatalk

Koshinn
05-20-13, 20:42
I was just in Moore Saturday. :(

I know Wormydog is a bit south of there, hope he made it ok.

jpmuscle
05-20-13, 20:59
Shitty shitty day... :(

TAZ
05-20-13, 22:00
Dang. Prayers for the families.

murphy j
05-20-13, 22:05
As the father of a 5yr old, I can only cry and imagine how horrible a situation this is for those parents. I know some of our guys(I'm Nat'l Guard) have been activated to help out in the affected areas. One of my guys has the day off tomorrow and is heading down to the area to link up with another guy to go and help out. The weather here can be horrible in this area. I now understand why my parents went without sleep when there were storms like these. Those of you that pray, please pray for those that have had their lives changed by this event.

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 22:09
Tragically it sounds like some of the children drowned.

They found shelter in a basement but it filled with rain water.

tb-av
05-20-13, 22:20
I just heard that too.... man what a way to go. I would not have thought that much rain could have come down. I thought maybe a pipe broke and they were trapped.

murphy j
05-20-13, 22:23
Horrible. I can only begin to imagine.

glocktogo
05-20-13, 22:32
Another storm cell popping up in my AOR as I type. Hopefully the worst has passed, but we need to keep in mind that these devastating storms sometimes carry well East of Oklahoma and the damage doesn't necessarily stop here.

Prayers for everyone in peril and those who've lost so much already. :(

Leonidas24
05-20-13, 22:42
Having lived in tornado valley my entire life I've grown up with the occasional tornado moving through town more than once, but I cannot imagine being in the path of what hit Moore. God be with those that lost loved ones, and may His spirit be with those that perished.

SteyrAUG
05-20-13, 23:43
Having lived in tornado valley my entire life I've grown up with the occasional tornado moving through town more than once, but I cannot imagine being in the path of what hit Moore. God be with those that lost loved ones, and may His spirit be with those that perished.

Yep, I've done tornadoes a few times and have a healthy respect for them. But that wasn't a tornado, that was a monster.

jpmuscle
05-21-13, 00:11
Yep, I've done tornadoes a few times and have a healthy respect for them. But that wasn't a tornado, that was a monster.

To reference a classic movie, the finger of god perhaps ..

glocktogo
05-21-13, 00:55
Things have calmed down here for a bit. Gonna try to get some sleep. It's going to be a long day tomorrow. :(

Alaskapopo
05-21-13, 00:58
Things have calmed down here for a bit. Gonna try to get some sleep. It's going to be a long day tomorrow. :(

Hang in there glad your ok.
Pat

Grand58742
05-21-13, 02:34
I just heard that too.... man what a way to go. I would not have thought that much rain could have come down. I thought maybe a pipe broke and they were trapped.

It was like Noah's flood for about 20 minutes prior to everything stopping.

We've got a team from base down there right now helping out. Moore PD put out a message late last night asking first responders to hold off until morning. Apparently they were overwhelmed with support from the entire State. Power being off was hampering efforts to coordinate the rescue so they are going to readdress at first light.

Keep the prayers coming. There's still hope for some.

Moose-Knuckle
05-21-13, 02:58
Been watching this all day . . . :(

So far out of the 51 confirmed dead 20 are children at the school. It's being reported (by FOX) that there is another 40 dead (91 total) that have been recovered and awaiting transport to a medical examiner collection point. The children and teachers that sheltered in place at one of the schools were trapped by debris and broken water mains flooded the lower level they were at drowning them, f**k that is horrible.

I've lived through several tornadoes but not an EF-5, or even 4 for that matter.

Texas Task Force 1 (TX-TF1) deployed yesterday evening to assist, these guys are rock stars on the SAR side of the aisle.

http://usar.tamu.edu/Pages/Default.aspx

Edit to add:

Keep in mind many of the first responders who arrived in OKC, Moore, and the other towns hit yesterday were already on scene in Shawnee, OK after a tornado ripped that town apart and killed two on Sunday .

Six people were killed last Wednesday here in N Central TX after 16 tornadoes touched down, an EF-4 hit Granbury, TX. This is shaping up to be one of the worst tornado seasons on record.

Voodoochild
05-21-13, 05:21
Wonder if the Governor will activate the National Guard. Sounds like they could be used for security and to help with SAR/Medical.

Koshinn
05-21-13, 06:13
I heard 91 confirmed dead from bbc.

Grand58742
05-21-13, 06:39
Wonder if the Governor will activate the National Guard. Sounds like they could be used for security and to help with SAR/Medical.

I think there were some units out last night. Heard it on the news on the way home. One of the NG units were using thermals to look through the debris for shelters.

Belloc
05-21-13, 07:09
Dear God. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328000/Oklahoma-tornado-2013-7-children-drowned-Plaza-Towers-Elementary-school-Moore.html

Magic_Salad0892
05-21-13, 07:14

Glad to know you're okay, bro. Prayers for your city.

d90king
05-21-13, 07:19
Those pics are heartbreaking to look at. :( Prayers out to all of those affected by this tragedy. Hug your kids a little tighter today.

Safetyhit
05-21-13, 07:34

Man just don't know what to say except stay strong and God bless. The story about the kids is simply gutwrenching.

glocktogo
05-21-13, 07:37
It was like Noah's flood for about 20 minutes prior to everything stopping.

We've got a team from base down there right now helping out. Moore PD put out a message late last night asking first responders to hold off until morning. Apparently they were overwhelmed with support from the entire State. Power being off was hampering efforts to coordinate the rescue so they are going to readdress at first light.

Keep the prayers coming. There's still hope for some.

That's the Oklahoma I know & love.

murphy j
05-21-13, 07:45
I know that some of the Nat'l Guard units in that part of the state have been activated. I live in Tulsa, but belong to the Guard unit in Enid. We haven't been activated yet, but one of my guys knows people in other units that have been activated. Also, my unit has quite a few guys from around the affected areas and at least one guy in my company has lost his home and car, but otherwise is ok.

Koshinn
05-21-13, 08:33
That's the Oklahoma I know & love.

Everyone in Altus was chomping at the bit to head up to the city and help out. One of our O-6s told us this morning to wait until we're asked to help, otherwise there'd just be too many people there and we'd probably hinder the efforts instead of help.

Magic_Salad0892
05-21-13, 09:36
Isn't Wormydog in OK?

Hope he's okay too.

d90king
05-21-13, 09:40
Isn't Wormydog in OK?

Hope he's okay too.

Pretty sure he and his family are okay.

Koshinn
05-21-13, 09:47
Isn't Wormydog in OK?

Hope he's okay too.

He's good, contacted him yesterday

glocktogo
05-21-13, 09:51
Everyone in Altus was chomping at the bit to head up to the city and help out. One of our O-6s told us this morning to wait until we're asked to help, otherwise there'd just be too many people there and we'd probably hinder the efforts instead of help.

Same here. I'm waiting till the SO makes a call for reserves to head down there. The need will be greater near the end of the week and over the weekend, as a lot of folks (and media coverage) will withdraw when things settle down. That's when the locals will be exhausted as well.

Until then, I'll be donating to local relief efforts and staying out of their way.

Magic_Salad0892
05-21-13, 09:53
He's good, contacted him yesterday

Good to know.

Grand58742
05-21-13, 16:20
Death toll back down to 24. Apparently mistakes were made in the counting and it was revised downward.

First time I've ever been happy about a mistake being made in a disaster like this.

SteyrAUG
05-21-13, 16:49
Death toll back down to 24. Apparently mistakes were made in the counting and it was revised downward.

First time I've ever been happy about a mistake being made in a disaster like this.

I hear ya. Still kinda rough 9 kids.

Looks like it's gonna be an EF5.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/us/severe-weather/index.html

The amazing part, at least 100 people have been pulled alive from the rubble by rescuers.

Grand58742
05-21-13, 16:54
I hear ya. Still kinda rough 9 kids.

Looks like it's gonna be an EF5.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/us/severe-weather/index.html

The amazing part, at least 100 people have been pulled alive from the rubble by rescuers.

Yeah, didn't mean to sound jaded. Just thinking it could have been far worse. Losing one child is a tragedy much less nine.

Rescuers are "98% sure" everyone that can be recovered from the rubble has been.

SteyrAUG
05-21-13, 17:35
Yeah, didn't mean to sound jaded. Just thinking it could have been far worse. Losing one child is a tragedy much less nine.

Rescuers are "98% sure" everyone that can be recovered from the rubble has been.

You didn't say anything wrong or sound wrong in any way.

I completely "got" what you were saying.

I'm just noting it's still gonna be a rough as **** for a lot of people. Hell just seeing footage of dogs running loose looking for their people ****ed me up a little bit. I can't imagine being the guy trying to find his family and kids.

It's one thing when you loose a few houses and some folks have to search for their possessions in a one mile radius and bunk down with neighbors or friends until they get straightened out.

But it's another when some monster storm basically does a Hiroshima on everyone. Add lost kids and loved ones and that gets real hard to carry around. I can't imagine the pure anger, frustration and heartbreak some are going through all at once.

jpmuscle
05-22-13, 01:28
Sad... well everything about this whole incident is saddening

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328808/Oklahoma-tornado-dog-Heartbreaking-moment-dog-guarding-body-owner-buried-destroyed-home--sheriffs-deputy-trying-adopt-him.html

SteyrAUG
05-22-13, 02:15

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2328808/Oklahoma-tornado-dog-Heartbreaking-moment-dog-guarding-body-owner-buried-destroyed-home--sheriffs-deputy-trying-adopt-him.html

Dog loyalty never ceases to amaze me.

Ryno12
05-22-13, 07:06

Dogs are amazing creatures. Stories like this tend to tug on my heart strings a bit.

Sent via Tapatalk

Grand58742
06-01-13, 11:24
Round 3.

This latest outbreak was compounded by the fact of the heavy rainfalls following the storm and the storm stalling out as it moved eastward. Tornadoes also did something this time that I never heard of or saw before. Started tracking south which is completely unusual.

While the Moore tornado was extremely destructive, I would imagine this one will be just as with the flooding and high winds afterwards.

Everyone in the path of this storm make it through okay? Saw the line reached from Texas to South Dakota.

jpmuscle
06-01-13, 13:22
Mother nature must be in a really bad mood this summer.