PDA

View Full Version : Have questions about A1 and A2 flash suppressors for High Power Competition.

Mauser KAR98K
05-20-13, 10:09
I am about to compete in my first High Power match at Oak Ridge come the end of the month, and I attended a CMP shooters clinic just to refresh myself, but also learn some things about shooting the AR-15 for competition, switching over from the M1.

Out of some of the tips I learned, one is to switch from the A2 flash suppressor to the A1 with a lock washer. The reasoning I was given was that the A1 is easier to clean the carbon out than the A2, and the A1 can be screwed on by hand with the lock washer (and also prevents over tightening, and aligning the A2 properly).

Should I go with this idea or should I just buy crush washers and clean the A2 out when needed and do my best to align? The only A1 flash suppressor I can find is the one DPMS makes. Are they better companies out there?

AKDoug
05-20-13, 14:33
How often do you have to clean the thing? I haven't cleaned my A2 out in over 5000 rounds.

sgtrock82
05-20-13, 15:41
Ive been out of the game for a bit but I never once removed a flash hider or bothered to clean in or around it. I considered myself a serious competitor (meaning I did fairly well and service rifle/high power was my life practically every weekend from april into October including Camp Perry) and rubbed elbows with a lot of serious shooters and never once heard of anyone bothering to do such. IMO by the time you've accumulated enough gunk at the muzzle to even raise an eyebrow, you likely need a new barrel anyway.

I agree with using an A1, full cage flash hider. Use either a peel or crush washer and attach to the minimum torque spec you can find just so it doesn't fall off. Id stick with OEM type washers unless you can find out if using a lock washer violates any of the rules regarding external appearance. One shooters word, at a clinic or not, I wouldn't take as definitive. Things may certainly have changed and that's common now but I would look into it.

I also wouldn't sweat a DPMS flash hider if its all you can find. I run scared from alot of their stuff, even back then, but a flash hider isn't going to grenade on you nor will it toss your shots into the 7 ring. It might actually patina faster and make you look like a grizzled veteran a hair sooner.

sinister
05-20-13, 17:35
It doesn't make a difference. If you aren't on a military team or shoot as an individual at a military match (Division, All-Navy, or the Interservice) you don't have to have one, period (saving you the cost of threading your muzzle).

On a match-grade rifle an A2 compensator will be timed to 12-o'clock top dead center (+/- 6 degrees) and probably be lock-tited on (without torque or tension). An A1 serves the same purpose, however if you shoot somewhere dusty (Arizona, SOCAL, Nevada, etc.) you'll probably want the closed bottom A2 compensator.

MistWolf
05-20-13, 17:52
There is a National Match forum that's very informative and the folks there are very helpful. You'll need to sign up to see any of the posts
http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/