PDA

View Full Version : PSA 16" Barrel and Upper

Bedouin2W
05-20-13, 17:02
I just started my first build of sorts, I have a stripped lower, LPK, and pistol grip - going to order the rest of the lower tonight for assembly this week. I think I can handle assembling the lower, but I know I am no where capable of building an upper from scratch so I've decided to buy a complete upper or complete upper minus BCG/charging handle.

Obviously the barrel and BCG are the most important parts of the entire rifle, so I want to make sure I am getting a quality barrel.

After looking over the specs on the PSA 16" Upper (http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-mid-premium-pro-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html), I think it meets the test for a quality product (5.56 chamber, 1/7 twist, HPT and MPI barrel, M4 feed ramps, and F-marked front sight.

Is there something I am forgetting to check before I go with this PSA upper? PSA says the barrel is made by FN. Any experience with PSA uppers from anyone here?

Thanks, B2W.

fallenromeo
05-20-13, 17:20
Are there better uppers out there? Yes. But PSA is a fine company for a starter rifle. And the price is decent considering you are getting a great 400 dollar optic included.

If you want something higher quality, there is this option:

BCM 16" upper 729 with BCG
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm
Magpul MOE handguard 33
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MOE-MID-Length-Handguard-FLAT-DARK-EARTH-p/mag418%20fde.htm
Magpul MBUS rear flip up 55
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MBUS-Gen-2-Rear-Back-Up-Iron-Sight-Black-p/mag248%20black.htm

This is a total of 817 for a complete upper. Your $700 PSA upper will still require about 270 for the BCG and CH if you went with BCM for that as well which would put you at 970. The trade off is, you wouldn't have the aimpoint pro.

If money is an issue, you could get the complete BCM for about 150 cheaper than a complete PSA, and add an optic later when funds are more available. Depends on what you want.

aguila327
05-20-13, 17:26
You'll be more than happy with the PSA middie upper. At least I am. I've had mine for a year now without one problem.

Accuracy is excellent and it has been filling in as my patrol carbine after I put 2000+ rounds through it.

Good luck and keep us updated on how she performs.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

MistWolf
05-20-13, 17:29
The FN barrel is a good one. My PSA upper receiver hasn't given me any trouble. The biggest thing to worry about is a canted FSB.

The PSA upper I'm using has a SS barrel and it's been reliable for the past 3k rounds. The Aimpoint Pro is a bonus

Bedouin2W
05-20-13, 17:42
I was looking at the BCM uppers before I saw the PSA. At that price point ($700 including the Aimpoint PRO) I don't think it can be beat.

I may buy this upper anyways and tuck it away for my next stripped lower build and go with a BCM for this build. This was the BCM upper I was considering
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20vtrx13.htm

Money isn't an issue, I just wanted to make sure I wan't getting a POS barrel and upper. People speak highly of PSA's lowers but I haven't seen or heard any feedback on their uppers, barrels, and BCGs.

Thanks, B2W

_Stormin_
05-20-13, 18:46
At that price point, it really is a fantastic bargain. If you find yourself not liking the PRO, you can always sell it for a vary fair price.

I've got one of their 16" Carbine uppers and I've been quite pleased.

MiamiCracker
05-20-13, 19:02
I have a PSA mid length upper that has the lighter profile barrel. I only shot it once but it was pretty darn accurate. I'm going to shoot in Thursday, see how it goes.

Iraqgunz
05-20-13, 22:10
As long as you don't get one with a Jenna Jamison gas port or canted FSB you should be fine. I would also make sure that BCG is in fact HP/MPI tested. Personally I stick with the known variables.

Bushytale
05-21-13, 02:54
PSA screwed me on a BCG and upper receiver deal. I will not trust them again! :mad:

Bedouin2W
05-21-13, 08:28
As long as you don't get one with a Jenna Jamison gas port or canted FSB you should be fine. I would also make sure that BCG is in fact HP/MPI tested. Personally I stick with the known variables.

The PSA upper is sans BCG and charging handle so I don't have to worry about that. I'm keeping an eye out for a BCM or Spikes BCG to compete the upper. Both of those are MP/HPI tested so i should be good to hook in that area.

midSCarolina
05-21-13, 11:04
I personally don't trust PSA... and I think they are arrogant assholes for the most part. The upper SHOULD be fine but good luck. I just wouldn't want to buy from them when there are places like BCM who actually care about their CS. LMT makes really solid stuff too but no middy and +$185

Donut
05-21-13, 12:45
It's weird that you guys talk about their poor customer service, when their CS has actually been one of the reasons I continue to patronize them. They've always been nice and proficient with me. :confused:

midSCarolina
05-21-13, 13:48
It's weird that you guys talk about their poor customer service, when their CS has actually been one of the reasons I continue to patronize them. They've always been nice and proficient with me. :confused:

Super proficient... I live in columbia and one of my friends called out there looking for a Smith and Wesson 638 revolver... the individual who answered the phone told him that telling them the model # did them no good and they needed to know the caliber :confused: . He told them .38 and they came back and said that they didn't have any S&W .38 but they had .38 revolvers in black, pink, blue, and purple. I have had to wait 15min for the cashier to find someone to tell her that what I was buying was a trigger guard. I was next to a fairly small girl that was told their isn't much difference in the Glock 30 and Glock 26. I was told buy the guy working the counter that I could buy a Mac 10 that they had, fill out a form 3, and have innovative arms convert it to full-auto.

AND what dumbass decides to make a "NOBAMA" and "You Lie" lower. I personally don't like a guy but you don't put shit like that on a rifle that is already a controversial item... it made the news and it is bad press that no one wants or needs so thanks again PSA for reinforcing a stereotype that isn't good for the gun community.

They have decent products and good prices but I have not dealt with them in awhile for obvious reasons ^^^ but that was enough of PSA for me.

Donut
05-21-13, 13:59
Sounds like you deal with the retail side. I've only ever dealt with the internet/mail order side.

MistWolf
05-21-13, 14:53
...what dumbass decides to make a "NOBAMA" and "You Lie" lower. I personally don't like a guy but you don't put shit like that on a rifle that is already a controversial item...

That is exactly the type of propaganda the statists want us to buy into. "Only exercise your rights and liberties only so far as they do not offend or question the government".

I have seen just as many ignorant statements made in this forum. I'm guilty of a couple myself. Is M4carbine to be shunned as well?

Stickman
05-21-13, 15:30

People who are sold on price are only going to hear what they want.

Slippers
05-21-13, 15:45
AND what dumbass decides to make a "NOBAMA" and "You Lie" lower. I personally don't like a guy but you don't put shit like that on a rifle that is already a controversial item... it made the news and it is bad press that no one wants or needs so thanks again PSA for reinforcing a stereotype that isn't good for the gun community.

So I guess I shouldn't name my trust "Obama can suck this" (Trust) for my new SBR lower? :)

hickuleas
05-21-13, 15:51
I have bought three pencil profile barrels and have been very happy with product and service. The barrels i purchased are manufacted by FN and i don't hear any complaints about FN barrels. The first two barrels were purchased for $149.00 with free shipping.