PDA

View Full Version : What is louder inside a home?

n4p226r
05-20-13, 19:43
Are there any muzzle brakes or compensators that would be acceptable to be used indoors? What about a crowned barrel. I live in a state that requires a pinned muzzle brake that is not a flash hider and cannot have a silencer threaded into it. This leaves something like a 14.5" with pinned muzzle device or 16" with a crowned barrel. It will be 300blk.

Also what advantages will there be to using subsonic ammo without a supressor

Thanks
Bill

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-20-13, 19:51
Volume ie. size

MistWolf
05-20-13, 20:36
A rifle will be just as loud indoors as it is outdoors. The difference is, indoors, there are walls- usually hard- to reflect the sound back. There is also less space for the pressure wave to dissipate.

I have used a Battlecomp in a couple of different indoor ranges. It sounds a little louder than the A2 birdcage from a 16" barrel. Both the A2 birdcage and the Battlecomp were better than a bare muzzle as both muzzle devices poject at least some of the sound forward.

The pressure wave from the Battlecomp was more than from the A2 but softer than from other types of brakes.

After all that is said & done, I would not want to touch off a 5.56 indoors without hearing protection regardless of compensater type or bare muzzle!

Onyx Z
05-20-13, 20:47
from my experience, muzzle brakes are typically a lot louder.

jonconsiglio
05-20-13, 20:51
There will be no advantage to subs without a suppressor. Still loud. Inside I'd to with a flash hider but it'll be loud either way.

samuse
05-20-13, 21:06
What about that big thing Noveske makes?

Rifles are brutal indoors without ear pro.

Bluto
05-20-13, 21:07
This sounds like a bad idea... But if it has to be done, do you think you can use this?: http://primaryweapons.com/store/m/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=90&idcategory=6

It does suppress the flash a bit, but was designed as a compensator, so the batf may classify it as a brake.

Bluto
05-20-13, 21:08
What about that big thing Noveske makes?

Rifles are brutal indoors without ear pro.

Nope, the pig is a flash hider: http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=kx3556p&cat=11

MistWolf
05-20-13, 21:15
Since the sunset of the AWB, the BATF only classifies muzzle devices as either sound suppressors or not (with the exception of imported rifles of non-sporting purpose to determine importation requirements). Whether or not a muzzle device is legally a flash suppressor is entirely up to state & local law

n4p226r
05-20-13, 21:20
True. Unfortunately local law just says flash supressor or threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash supressor. So it seems everyone goes with the way it's advertised. If it says compensator in the name it seems acceptable. Battlecomp. Dynacomp. Etc. some like to get technical and say if the hole in the front is bigger than the bore or you can put your finger in it it's a no go

Bluto
05-20-13, 21:20
Since the sunset of the AWB, the BATF only classifies muzzle devices as either sound suppressors or not (with the exception of imported rifles of non-sporting purpose to determine importation requirements). Whether or not a muzzle device is legally a flash suppressor is entirely up to state & local law

I did not know that... Very interesting... Good luck navigating that mess, OP!

Amur
05-20-13, 21:38
I live in the same type of state. Based on my research the best thing you can get in 300blk is a battle comp.

If you were talking 556 you could also look at the new BCM break, or the griffin one.

Another alternative is some of the breaks that PWS makes. They are louder than the battlecomp from my research but still great breaks.

Not sure troy makes the claymore in that caliber.

All other breaks are going to be more full breaks. Supper loud/side blast etc...

foxtrotx1
05-21-13, 01:38
Troy makes a comp designed to direct sound forward. Not sure it matters inside though.

http://store.troyind.com/Claymore_Muzzle_Brake_p/sbra-clm-05bt-00.htm

RyanB
05-21-13, 02:44
I'd use a KX3.

Amur
05-21-13, 06:37
I'd use a KX3.

That would be a felony.

Onyx Z
05-21-13, 08:36
That would be a felony.

Please elaborate.

markm
05-21-13, 08:41
Subs are a lot quieter... at least in .308 WIN. I tried shooting outdoors with no ears on and it's just slightly uncomfortable.

The sonic crack when trapped in a structure is very loud... even with a silencer mounted, it is as loud as a 9mm pistol unsupressed, outdoors.

skijunkie55
05-21-13, 08:56
Please elaborate.

Maybe he resides in one of the states in which they are illegal still? CA, NY, NJ, CT, etc...

maybe?? idk...

I want a flaming pig! :mad:

Amur
05-21-13, 09:01
Please elaborate.

He clearly states in the first post he is in a AWB state.

Iraqgunz
05-21-13, 09:43
OK. So the question is is the KX3 not legal in Jersey. I would probably consult a knowledgeable person in Jersey to determine what is actually allowed.

Amur
05-21-13, 10:02
OK. So the question is is the KX3 not legal in Jersey. I would probably consult a knowledgeable person in Jersey to determine what is actually allowed.

I am not a lawyer but do live in NJ and have studied the issue. (Even looked at getting an infidel upper at one point)

You can take your own chances, but the KX3 is a no go in my view and most opinions seems to agree with that.

In fact based on its "looks alone" it is about the last muzzle device I would want to be caught with in NJ, from a prosecution risk perspective. It's just begging for some cop to arrest you for your "flash suppressing silencer lookin do hickey"

RyanB
05-21-13, 10:07
That would be a felony.

Depends on whether it considered a flash suppressor, which I believe woul be a stretch.

Onyx Z
05-21-13, 10:08

Sorry, I live in Texas where we're still free. I didn't think something like this would be illegal...

m1a_scoutguy
05-21-13, 10:24
Troy makes a comp designed to direct sound forward. Not sure it matters inside though.

http://store.troyind.com/Claymore_Muzzle_Brake_p/sbra-clm-05bt-00.htm

I had a Troy Claymore for a while on one of my ARs and it worked pretty good !! Really puts the "Blast" Forward,,plus if ya run out of bullets ya can stab the perp with the front and grind his face with it,,,;),,LOL,,,Ouch !! Everything is Loud inside no mater what it is,,,hell most are to loud "outside",,but what ya gonna do !! Not to rain on your parade,,but if your shooting inside @ a Bad Guy,what would you rather be,,,,dead or have some ringing in your ears,,:eek:I figure it would kind of be like Deer hunting,,when I shoot a Deer my ears never seem to ring,,I think its because of the excitement/adrenaline rush or something !! I would assume that if your fighting for your life,,it would be similar. Well that's my worthless 2 cents !! ;)

midSCarolina
05-21-13, 12:25
I am thinking that the Troy Claymore would be the best option here as well. Similar in principle to the KX3 without being considered a flash hider.

n4p226r
05-21-13, 12:56
Nobody knows what is actually legal in NJ. That's part of the problem

Lets break it down to more basic terms.

Say the following are your choices.

Three prong flash hider
A2 birdcage style
Battlecomp style
Surefire/ops inc style muzzle brake
Crowned barrel with no muzzle device.

Which order from most suck to least suck would there be? Does it change for 300blk vs 5.56? How about forn300blk super vs subsonic

tb-av
05-21-13, 13:53
Nobody knows what is actually legal in NJ. That's part of the problem

Lets break it down to more basic terms.

Say the following are your choices.

Three prong flash hider
A2 birdcage style
Battlecomp style
Surefire/ops inc style muzzle brake
Crowned barrel with no muzzle device.

Which order from most suck to least suck would there be? Does it change for 300blk vs 5.56? How about forn300blk super vs subsonic

Are you talking about noise? What you are asking is similar to asking which is going hurt the most, getting run over by a car going 80 mph or one going 85 mph.

There are so many variables it won't matter.

markm
05-21-13, 14:21
This whole line of logic is like worrying about hearing damage when a car runs you over a 85 mph.

Completely fuxored up alignment of priorities.

rauchman
05-21-13, 14:26
I'm a fellow NJ'er. I have a Dynacomp on one setup. Having my nephew shoot that rifle, followed up by a crowned / non threaded barrel, the blast/sound was not much different. I've shot a Battlecomp'ed setup at an indoor range and thought it had more blast to it vs. an A2 FH. I recently bought a BCM Comp for another rifle. Haven't shot it yet, but, based upon reviews, have high hopes that it will be blast neutral.