PDA

View Full Version : Could this Happen To You. Sheriff's Department Takes Family's Home and Contents

DragonDoc
05-20-13, 20:41
What do you do when the real estate scammer who cheated you and stole your property works for the Sheriff's Department?

(MT. PLEASANT, MI) - U.S. Navy veteran Ted Visner and his wife, Kathy Smith of Mt. Pleasant, Michigan, have been living out a nightmare. It started two and a half years ago, when the family fell victim to an apparent real estate scam by a local sheriff's department employee.

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/may042013/visner-michigan-tk.php?message=1&fb_source=message#comments

Alpha Sierra
05-20-13, 20:55
What do you do when the real estate scammer who cheated you and stole your property works for the Sheriff's Department?

Some things are better left unsaid.

Safetyhit
05-20-13, 21:07
Doc having familiarity with such matters this is an extremely odd story. And while many of the details didn't add up initially the kicker was at the end where it highlights that he himself is running for sheriff. May be that bad but I wouldn't take it at face value based on that story alone.

TAZ
05-20-13, 21:55
Sux for sure, but I'm having a hard time understanding how something like to can happen. When I bought my home, part of the closing check list was a title check to see who had what liens, loans and what nots against the property. My mortgage company then paid those items and I made/make payments to the bank. I had no financial involvement with the previous owners what so ever. I can see if the bank or the title company makes a mistake and doesn't find all the liens, but seems easy enough to go after them and get some resolution.

Seems hard to understand how a guy who builds custom homes for a living could get himself wrapped up in a scheme where he pays an intermediary for a mortgage.

steyrman13
05-20-13, 21:59
Sux for sure, but I'm having a hard time understanding how something like to can happen. When I bought my home, part of the closing check list was a title check to see who had what liens, loans and what nots against the property. My mortgage company then paid those items and I made/make payments to the bank. I had no financial involvement with the previous owners what so ever. I can see if the bank or the title company makes a mistake and doesn't find all the liens, but seems easy enough to go after them and get some resolution.

Seems hard to understand how a guy who builds custom homes for a living could get himself wrapped up in a scheme where he pays an intermediary for a mortgage.

The way I understood it was he was "taking up payments/owner financed"

Safetyhit
05-20-13, 22:10
The way I understood it was he was "taking up payments/owner financed"

It's often known as seller financing and is very common. What isn't so common is the seemingly ignored actions of the property owner taking the family's possessions, particularly with her being a member of the sheriff dept and also with children's belongings involved.

There are some states that will not find in favor of a tenant who has been misled by a landlord in default but this would still be over the top if described correctly.

steyrman13
05-20-13, 22:22
It's often known as seller financing and is very common. What isn't so common is the seemingly ignored actions of the property owner taking the family's possessions, particularly with her being a member of the sheriff dept and also with children's belongings involved.

There are some states that will not find in favor of a tenant who has been misled by a landlord in default but this would still be over the top if described correctly.

I agree. One reason I did not purchase a piece of property that way

TAZ
05-20-13, 23:27

That is one scary ass concept and I can see how it would be very easy to take someone for a ride if they choose to go that route.