PDA

View Full Version : Rough zero rear sight with red dot?

bb223
05-20-13, 23:31
Hey guys, just put a new BUIS on my rifle and was wondering if I could do the "reverse" of the technique of zeroing a RDS with irons by zeroing irons with RDS.

Basically if my RDS is zeroed and my irons are not, can I sight though the irons and adjust my new rear sight so the Aimpoint dot is centered over the front sight, then expect my irons to be pretty well zeroed?

I know it'll need some fine tuning but I'd like to get as close as possible and not have to expend all kinds of ammo.

Thanks.

AKDoug
05-20-13, 23:32
Yep, it will work pretty good. It'll definitely get you on paper at 50 yards without much adjustment.

Sasahara
05-20-13, 23:49
You most likely have a few of these printed out already but just in case..

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=96955

markm
05-21-13, 10:06
Just did this the other day with a carry handle I cut down. Works good.

I've only seen one gun where the BUIS and RDS were slightly out of synch.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-21-13, 10:13
I say no, they need to be zeroed interdependently of one and other.

markm
05-21-13, 10:32

They do need to be checked independently. But for a hasty adjustment to get you close, it works pretty good.

Ryno12
05-21-13, 10:44
Yep, have done it many times myself. Never had an issue.

Sent via Tapatalk

midSCarolina
05-21-13, 10:53

Contradictory statement... if the two were interdependent, one would require the other for zero'ing. I think independently would have worked better here. But seriously... aside from ****ing around about grammar... ^^^ is pretty much correct. It is much better to zero your RD or HWS without using the other as your assumed POI. You can use your RD to get the irons close to where they need to be but you should still go through your zero'ing procedures with both your optic and irons.

halmbarte
05-21-13, 11:11
Yes, you can do it and it works either way. Check both independently after getting a rough zero.

For some silly reason I changed out both the Aimpoint and rear sight on a rifle. I changed the Aimpoint first and got a rough zero for it from the irons. Swapped out rear BUIS and zeroed that with the Aimpoint.

Took the rifle out and shot with the Aimpoint and irons at 50. Both were 2-3 clicks off.

H

jessehh
05-24-13, 21:41
Or you could just take the upper off, bolt out, and bore sight it.

jpmuscle
05-24-13, 22:34
Or you could just take the upper off, bolt out, and bore sight it.

Ain't nobody got time for that :D

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-24-13, 23:16
Contradictory statement... if the two were interdependent, one would require the other for zero'ing. I think independently would have worked better here. But seriously... aside from ****ing around about grammar... ^^^ is pretty much correct. It is much better to zero your RD or HWS without using the other as your assumed POI. You can use your RD to get the irons close to where they need to be but you should still go through your zero'ing procedures with both your optic and irons.

Yes the product of the ipods little bitty key board and autocorrect .

pinzgauer
05-25-13, 02:49
Hey guys, just put a new BUIS on my rifle and was wondering if I could do the "reverse" of the technique of zeroing a RDS with irons by zeroing irons with
Snip
know it'll need some fine tuning but I'd like to get as close as possible and not have to expend all kinds of ammo.

I've done it both directions, you'll be very close but will want to dial it in.

Where most people screw up is they don't sight on something far enough away to get into the zero parrallax zone of their optic.

---sent from my PRC-104 using a knee key