PDA

View Full Version : Is there a safety that can be engaged without being "cocked"?

pyzik
05-21-13, 13:37
So playing with my new AR I realized you can't put it on safe with the hammer down. I googled it and this is normal.

Is there a modified safety (or can I modify my safety) that allows it to be put on safe no matter the condition of the hammer?

Thanks.

(Or if this is a bad idea and the design is meant this way for a reason, feel free to let me know.)

K1tt3n5
05-21-13, 13:54
If the gun isn't cocked, what is a safety going to do?

Obscenejesster
05-21-13, 14:00
No. If you look down inside of the FCG pocket while manipulating the selector, you will understand why it's not possible.

Like the person above said though. If you're hammer isn't cocked then why would you need to manipulate the selector?

pyzik
05-21-13, 14:05
No. If you look down inside of the FCG pocket while manipulating the selector, you will understand why it's not possible.

Like the person above said though. If you're hammer isn't cocked then why would you need to manipulate the selector?

Thanks, I'll take a closer look tonight.

Mostly because I like to store firearms on safe and I like to store them hammer down (this does not include defense guns). This is just what I am used to and tried to do it with the new AR.

Beat Trash
05-21-13, 14:15
I have some AR's that are set asside either for the kids or as a spare. I actually like the fact that the safety can't be engaged with the hammer down.

I store guns not regularly used with the dust cover closed and the hammer down. Seeing if the safety can be engaged gives me a quick way to determine if the hammer is down or not.

Duffy
05-21-13, 14:20
The Jard trigger I used to have allowed this to happen, I wasn't used to that you could put the weapon on SAFE without the hammer cocked, I don't know what I did with it, it's not in one of my receivers anymore.

JSantoro
05-21-13, 14:23
I remember that the HK416 safety may be engaged with the hammer down, from the IKPT NET for the M27.

Unless something's changed, that's the only AR-pattern gun that does that that I'm aware of. Unknown if there are any after-market safties that do this.

There's been broad discussion of storing weapons hammer-down (meaning, safety off), magazine inserted, no round in chamber, in the Training and Tactics subforum, if you want a look at pros/cons. Search for keywords "cruiser-ready."

I don't think it would be a good idea to modify anything, and risk 1) an illegal modification or, 2) operational failure for no better reason than storage.

CrazyFingers
05-21-13, 14:23
Thanks, I'll take a closer look tonight.

Mostly because I like to store firearms on safe and I like to store them hammer down

I assume you don't own a 1911 (or a Glock)?
As others have pointed out, by design the AR-15 selector cannot be set to Safe when the hammer is not cocked, nor does it need to be.

pyzik
05-21-13, 14:28
I remember that the HK416 safety may be engaged with the hammer down, from the IKPT NET for the M27.

Unless something's changed, that's the only AR-pattern gun that does that that I'm aware of. Unknown if there are any after-market safties that do this.

There's been broad discussion of storing weapons hammer-down (meaning, safety off), magazine inserted, no round in chamber, in the Training and Tactics subforum, if you want a look at pros/cons. Search for keywords "cruiser-ready."

I don't think it would be a good idea to modify anything, and risk 1) an illegal modification or, 2) operational failure for no better reason than storage.

Thank you! I'll look there.
I really wasn't sure about modifying it.

I assume you don't own a 1911 (or a Glock)?
As others have pointed out, by design the AR-15 selector cannot be set to Safe when the hammer is not cocked, nor does it need to be.

Nope, neither. My carry guns are M&Ps, no safeties (but neither are they ever stored unloaded).

ETA: Though, you can put a 1911 on safe, hammer down I thought...

Obscenejesster
05-21-13, 14:36
If you like storing all of your firearms on safe then here is what you do with your new AR.

Pull the charging handle to cock the hammer. Then move the selector to the safe position. Then pull the trigger to dry fire. There, now your AR is stuck in the safe position until you recharge it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

snakedoctor
05-21-13, 14:39
The H&K MR556 rifle can be placed on safe without the hammer cocked

Ironman8
05-21-13, 14:39
If you like storing all of your firearms on safe then here is what you do with your new AR.

Pull the charging handle to cock the hammer. Then move the selector to the safe position. Then pull the trigger to dry fire. There, now your AR is stuck in the safe position until you recharge it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Ummm, what? :fie:

JSantoro
05-21-13, 14:40
Yes, that's the "cruiser-ready" condition I mentioned above, less putting and leaving the safety on "fire," where it should be, and less the mag insertion.

Those discussions may be found via the Search string I also already mentioned above.

Since the OP's technical question's been effectively answered, there's no need to rehash the storage aspect, given that we've got more than one VERY complete discussion posted elsewhere, and easily discoverable.