PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg safety spring

SteveL
05-21-13, 16:28
I have an old Mossberg 500A and I recently installed this upgraded safety (http://elitetacticaladvantage.com/products/shotguns/mossberg/safety.html) from Elite Tactical Advantage. I have it installed the opposite of how it's shown in Figure C from the link. After installing and reassembling everything, I noticed that if the safety is in the fire position and I rack the shotgun with any force (and I'm not talking over the top excessive here) the safety moves backward slightly. It's not going all the way into safe, but I've noticed a couple of times while dry firing it that when I pull the trigger it won't fire. If I release the trigger and squeeze it again, the gun fires. I've examined the part and there are no burrs or obstructions in the indentation of the safety lever that would prevent it from seating fully into the fire position. I haven't tried flipping the safety around because I don't want to change its orientation.

My first thought is that maybe the safety spring is worn and needs replacing. I sent an email off to Mossberg asking about a new spring and detent. Unfortunately their response is that these parts are reserved for factory installation only and to ship my gun back to them for inspection. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement spring and detent for a Mossberg shotgun? It seems kind of ridiculous to ship the whole gun off over about $2 worth of (what should be) drop in parts. I realize this may not be the issue, but I figure it's an easy replacement and would rule out a variable.

I also sent an email to Elite Tactical Advantage explaining the issue to them, but I have yet to hear back.

Robb Jensen
05-21-13, 20:36
This usually happens if a 500/590 safety screw isn't tight enough or it's missing it's little ball bearing.

SteveL
05-21-13, 21:05
Thanks for responding Robb. I assure you the screw is tight and the ball bearing (which I errantly referred to above as a detent) is in place. I've had it apart a few times now trying to determine what the problem is. It makes definite clicks as I switch it back and forth from safe to fire and I can feel the selector switch seat into position. It just doesn't seem to have enough force against it to hold it securely in the fire position. For the sake of experimentation I dropped a smaller BB (from a #8 shotgun shell) in under the spring, then put the spring in and then the ball bearing. This does seem to have fixed the problem, albeit not correctly. Now it actually feels like it's got a bit too much pressure against it when I click it from one position to the other. This is what led me to the idea of replacing the spring. I figured it would be a cheap and easy thing to try and if it didn't work I would only be out the cost of the spring. I didn't expect Mossberg to tell me to ship the gun in to them. I should probably also point out that I've tried it with and without the metal strip that goes in against the bottom side of the safety. It didn't seem to make any difference either way.

I suppose it could just be an issue with the new safety form Elite Tactical Advantage. I don't recall ever noticing the original safety do this. When I get time I'll put the original part back on and compare.

Of course if you happen to have the appropriate springs available at your shop I'd be more than happy to buy one.

26 Inf
05-22-13, 21:26
The safety detent plate is in place, correct?

Here's the spring:

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/receiver-action-parts/safety-parts/safety-springs/safety-detent-spring-prod9418.aspx

SteveL
05-23-13, 07:44
The safety detent plate is in place, correct?

Here's the spring:

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/receiver-action-parts/safety-parts/safety-springs/safety-detent-spring-prod9418.aspx

Yes it is and thank you very much for the link.

SteveL
05-26-13, 17:19
Update: I replaced the safety spring, detent ball, and detent ball plate and the problem persists. I spun the safety from Elite Tactical Advantage 180° (even though I don't like this orientation) and the problem persists. I put the factory safety back on and the problem went away. I will pursue the issue with ETA. Thanks to those who responded.

Robb Jensen
05-27-13, 17:33
Update: I replaced the safety spring, detent ball, and detent ball plate and the problem persists. I spun the safety from Elite Tactical Advantage 180° (even though I don't like this orientation) and the problem persists. I put the factory safety back on and the problem went away. I will pursue the issue with ETA. Thanks to those who responded.

Must be the Elite safety is out of spec. I installed one of those on my 590A1 and standard 590. It might be too tall or something and not allowing the screw to get tight enough so that pulls up on the inner part of the safety or something. I got both of mine when I attended the Mossberg Armorers course at Blackwater/US Training CTR (now Academi).

26 Inf
05-27-13, 18:44
I got both of mine when I attended the Mossberg Armorers course at Blackwater/US Training CTR (now Academi).

Did Charlie Slocum teach your course?

SteveL
05-27-13, 18:46
After replacing the parts mentioned above I can only conclude the same thing. The only part I didn't replace was the safety block.

Of the times I've seen this particular safety mentioned I don't recall seeing any reports of problems with it. I sent an email to Elite Tactical Advantage, but with the holiday weekend I don't expect to hear back from them for a few days. If I don't hear back by the end of the week I'll give them a call. I'll report back after hearing what they have to say.

SteveL
06-05-13, 12:41
Update: I never received a response to my email, but I talked to ETA on the phone today. I explained the problem and what I've tried to correct it (replacing the other parts). They advised me to remove the detent ball plate and stated it's unnecessary with their safety as the safety itself is not made of plastic like the factory safety is. I tried this and the problem persisted and seemed to be worse. I called back and explained this and they're shipping me out a new safety. Hopefully this will remedy the problem.

Robb Jensen
06-05-13, 14:51
Did Charlie Slocum teach your course?

Yes Charlie is good people. He taught the HK and carbine armorers courses I've taken there as well.

26 Inf
06-05-13, 15:33
Yes Charlie is good people. He taught the HK and carbine armorers courses I've taken there as well.

Agreed, he did a Mossberg field school at our location a couple years ago, a good class plus lots of additional info on the M4 platform.

Robb Jensen
06-05-13, 16:29
Steve please post a pic of the new safety along with thier first one if the difference is visible.

SteveL
06-07-13, 04:43
Steve please post a pic of the new safety along with thier first one if the difference is visible.

Will do.

SteveL
06-10-13, 13:52
New safety came in the mail today. I can't see any visual difference between the new one and the old one, but I tried it out anyway and the problem is the same. I don't know why, but my shotgun doesn't seem to like this particular part.

Question for Robb Jensen specifically: When I replaced parts, the only one I didn't replace was the safety block. When I look at the picture of a new safety block on Brownells (as seen here (http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/receiver-action-parts/safety-parts/safety-hardware/safety-block-prod9421.aspx)) it looks different than mine does. I understand that what's shown in the picture sometimes isn't what you actually get, so can you tell me if this is what the new part really looks like? My shotgun is about 18 years old so it's possible that the part has been updated over the years. Do you think I should put a new one in and see what happens?

SteveL
06-13-13, 20:46
I ordered the new safety block and it showed up today. The difference between the new part and the old one wasn't as pronounced as I thought it would be from the picture. I installed it and it seems to have solved my problem. I'm unable to determine exactly what's causing the difference, but I'm not complaining. I didn't take any comparison pics of the parts before I installed it.