PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question- freefloat and scope mount

LACamper
03-31-08, 22:38
I just put together my first AR but I want to change a few things. I have a DPMS lower w/ basic 6 position stock. I have a Star upper (it was a trade...) with a 20" barrel. Standard round handguards, nothing special yet.

I'm looking for a light weight free float tube that I can add rail sections as needed. I've looked at the YHM but would love to find something lighter. I looked at the Clark carbon fiber, but adding rail is difficult. The VLTOR casv is interesting but I don't think is available for my longer barrel. Any suggestions?

I like the idea of the 1-4x scope. I noticed a photo of someone's short dot on a larue mount that still had the a-frame front sight. Doesn't it block half of your sight picture?

I'm sure someone is going to ask what it's used for... mainly punching paper, 3 gun matches, and being ready for the next time a Katrina hits my house... I can tell you it was lonely those first few weeks with no power or phone service (cell or land!) or police protection or neighbors... I had an 870 and a .45, but I was wishing for more.

TWR
04-02-08, 06:39
PRI makes rails that can be fairly easily attached to any tube you want to drill holes in. I had a short rail on a Hogue tube (which was not the lightest) that worked pretty good for mounting a light. I have since switched to railed handguards. I think the lightest option is the Daniel Defense 7" rail, with the aluminum barrel nut it's about the same weight as the plastic handguards.

On the scope mount, while some don't have a problem with the front sight base, I do. I use the LaRue 1.93 mount with my 1.5-5 scope. I also noticed on a scope with more magnification (3.5-10) that when the sun hits the FSB just right it throws a glare into my scope. So I run flip up sights on my 3.5-10 scoped guns and the standard FSB on aimpoint and 1-4 type scoped guns. Like I said that's what works for me, others have no problems so you may want to try different setups and see what you like. I'd imagine any 3 gun match would have plenty of options to see and most wouldn't mind letting you look through their rigs.

Robb Jensen
04-02-08, 07:14
I just put together my first AR but I want to change a few things. I have a DPMS lower w/ basic 6 position stock. I have a Star upper (it was a trade...) with a 20" barrel. Standard round handguards, nothing special yet.

I'm looking for a light weight free float tube that I can add rail sections as needed. I've looked at the YHM but would love to find something lighter. I looked at the Clark carbon fiber, but adding rail is difficult. The VLTOR casv is interesting but I don't think is available for my longer barrel. Any suggestions?

I like the idea of the 1-4x scope. I noticed a photo of someone's short dot on a larue mount that still had the a-frame front sight. Doesn't it block half of your sight picture?

I'm sure someone is going to ask what it's used for... mainly punching paper, 3 gun matches, and being ready for the next time a Katrina hits my house... I can tell you it was lonely those first few weeks with no power or phone service (cell or land!) or police protection or neighbors... I had an 870 and a .45, but I was wishing for more.

The JP/VTAC would be you best choice for this feature.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4.php

comp1911
04-02-08, 07:41
At 1x to just above 2x or so, the FSB is visible.

CHoffman
04-04-08, 21:22
The JP/VTAC would be you best choice for this feature.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.4.php

I would also recommend the VTAC. I put one on my mid-length and am extremely pleased with the quality, overall feel, and ability to add rails as I see fit.