PDA

View Full Version : AR Newbie Sling Mounting Questions.

Raiden
03-31-08, 23:17
My 16" Sabre/LMT middy is almost ready to go, and have been considering sling mounting options. My rifle has standard handguards and a six-position stock. I've settled on a Vickers VCAS because it seems to be the most versatile, respected, and widely-used option out there, but sling mounting options are myriad and I'm having some difficulty deciding how I want to attach it to the rifle. I have several questions:

- What is the practical purpose of "Quick Detach" mouting points? Obviously the sling is quickly detachable, but under what circumstances does this come in handy? What makes it preferable to the standard attachment system?

- Would it be a bad thing to "mix and match" mounting types? I've seen a picture of one rifle here with the VCAS looped normally through a Colt side sling mount at the front, but with a Knights Armament QD mount on a standard six-position stock at the rear. Wouldn't it be better to have both points be QD?

- Is there any disadvantage to plugging the sling into the front sight tower? I've seen various mount systems that clamp into the space on the FSB below the sight. This seems a little awkward to me, but besides ergonomics, does this have any negative effects?

- Is there any practical difference between the $50 "genuine Colt USGI" side sling mount available from Brownells, and less expensive versions of the same part from ProMag, Bushmaster, etc.?

- Does hanging a VCAS from the standard front sling mount negate some of its versatility?

Thanks for any guidance. This is my first AR, and I'm trying to do it right the first time. ;)

warpigM-4
03-31-08, 23:56
the USGI side sling mount works for me. I got the colt one but any of them should do the job. But it is really up to what you want .i try and not get wrapped up in the Tacti-cool gear .I based My M4 as close as I could get it to what the Army issued me.Just my 2 cents hope this helps

Shihan
04-01-08, 00:33
My 16" Sabre/LMT middy is almost ready to go, and have been considering sling mounting options. My rifle has standard handguards and a six-position stock. I've settled on a Vickers VCAS because it seems to be the most versatile, respected, and widely-used option out there, but sling mounting options are myriad and I'm having some difficulty deciding how I want to attach it to the rifle. I have several questions:

- What is the practical purpose of "Quick Detach" mouting points? Obviously the sling is quickly detachable, but under what circumstances does this come in handy? What makes it preferable to the standard attachment system?

- Would it be a bad thing to "mix and match" mounting types? I've seen a picture of one rifle here with the VCAS looped normally through a Colt side sling mount at the front, but with a Knights Armament QD mount on a standard six-position stock at the rear. Wouldn't it be better to have both points be QD?

- Is there any disadvantage to plugging the sling into the front sight tower? I've seen various mount systems that clamp into the space on the FSB below the sight. This seems a little awkward to me, but besides ergonomics, does this have any negative effects?

- Is there any practical difference between the $50 "genuine Colt USGI" side sling mount available from Brownells, and less expensive versions of the same part from ProMag, Bushmaster, etc.?

- Does hanging a VCAS from the standard front sling mount negate some of its versatility?

Thanks for any guidance. This is my first AR, and I'm trying to do it right the first time. ;)

The QD is a very viable option I wish we had those back when I got hung by my rifles standard sling during mountaineering and had to cut myself loose. If the slight chance things get caught up it is good to have options as it would really suck if someone was choking you out with your own sling.

Having the sling attached to the FSB or the FSB sling mount can pull on the barrel makeing it less accurate but for most its like using a FF forearm it wont matter much.

warpigM-4
04-01-08, 00:56
never thought of being hung by my sling, but it did happen to me getting into the loaders hatch of a M1:eek: .But i was able to recover fast.But agin always have a knife handy just in cse I guess LOL

Shihan
04-01-08, 01:43
never thought of being hung by my sling, but it did happen to me getting into the loaders hatch of a M1:eek: .But i was able to recover fast.But agin always have a knife handy just in cse I guess LOL

If you would have turned blue like I did and than have to hump your rifle for the next 2 days without a sling like I did you would have remembered. When i was a Tanker I would always either pass my rifle down or have it handed down to me.

Failure2Stop
04-01-08, 14:39
The button on the QD sling mount is really hard to get to in most occasions that would necessitate quickly detaching the sling, so I had a tendancy to be somewhat apathetic to them. What I really like them for is during disassembly for cleaning or swapping uppers on a lower. It just makes life easier.

I do not like the standard sling mount on ARs, and the side mount is only marginally better (to me). They do reduce the usability of most slings, and I prefer a rail-mounted side-mount for anything other than fundamental-type long-range rifle work. I remove the standard swivel from my guns immediately, if they are so equipped.

warpigM-4
04-01-08, 15:34
If you would have turned blue like I did and than have to hump your rifle for the next 2 days without a sling like I did you would have remembered. When i was a Tanker I would always either pass my rifle down or have it handed down to me.
yeah I was rushing to get in forgot about my weapon on my back felt like a ass:p .after that it was always handed to me after i got in and set :D

Shihan
04-01-08, 16:22
yeah I was rushing to get in forgot about my weapon on my back felt like a ass:p .after that it was always handed to me after i got in and set :D

Its a learning experiance. When I was a driver on the M60 someone took a nap in my seat when I was a driver and adjusted it back. I got back in and didnt check it and when we were going downhill my feet didnt reach the brakes. That was one scary ass learning experiance and I checked the seat every stinking time after that.

Raiden
04-01-08, 17:52
I've been thinking a lot about sling mounts, but I had never considered being choked with the sling. :eek:

It seems to me that the quickest way to front and rear QD is through KAC QD mounts on the sight tower and in the slot on my stock. Anybody ever tried that setup?

Lancelot
04-02-08, 14:54
I run a VCAS with QD swivels. One end is mounted on the forward rail, the other is mounted in a TD PR-4 aft.

With the QD swivels, I can unplug the VCAS from the front, plug what was the front into the side of the PR4 and my two point sling becomes a single point sling. Its very versatile.

TWR
04-02-08, 20:29
Don't forget about the BLUE FORCE GEAR UWL adapter. It's a universal wire loop that allows you to attach the sling around the delta ring among other places.