PDA

View Full Version : Anybody load for the Krag?

IROCZ
04-01-08, 00:39
You may think this is a strange place to ask this but old guns are my hobby also. I just started on a project for fun, my old 98 Krag. I ordered dies and brass from Midway but all the info I run across is for newer rifles in this cal. Anyone load for this, I want a 150gr load at 21 to 2200 to go easy on the old girl. Maybe not even that fast. The reason I'm asking this here is I find alot of the compotent attitudes here comforting. I also think there might be other warriors out there who have an interest in classic "Assault Rifles" Any insight is appreciatted. Thanks
:)

PS: I do know "Assault" is a behavior, A "Rifle" is a tool. :D

Ross
04-01-08, 02:54
I have a slightly sporterized Krag carbine, and it's one of the absolute most enjoyable guns to shoot. I just shot some commercial ammo though it and never have worked up loads for it. I don't get to see it much, as I left it at my dad's place on the other end of the country when I moved out here.

I've been ginving serous consideration to getting one here though. They are a fine rifle.

The Krag is in the 40,000 CUP class of rifle (.308 is 52,000 to give everyone an idea of pressures). Similar to lever actions, etc of the day. With the single-lug bolt, it's usually a good idea to keep the pressures low as you intend, but effectively you can handload for a Krag ammo that will take most game. It seems often accuracy is an issue due to bore size. .30/40 rifles, even Krags from Springfield, sometimes vary in bore diameter. If you experience poor accuracy with .308 bullets, you might want to slug the bore. Most seem to shoot great though.

I don't think you'd be getting anywhere near dangerous if you were trying to get 2200fps with a 150gr bullet. That seems to be the floor. Anything else would be a guess on my part, since I haven't tried it on mine.

It's a great rifle to shoot though. The Krag's smooth action is second to none, and even loading the magazine is unlike what you're used to with the Mauser-type.

Damn, now you've gone an added another gun to my "buy list":D

dodge
04-01-08, 08:19
I load for the 30-40 Krag but my rifle is an orginal Winchester 1895 which was my father's. My load is 47 gr. IMR 4350 with a Hornady 180 gr RN. I tried a spitzer but I get better accuratice (sp?) with the round nose as it is has a longer bearing surface. Remember the orginal load had a 220 gr RN in it so it might be better with a longer bullet.