PDA

View Full Version : Think you're confused ?

VooDoo6Actual
05-22-13, 20:19
“The senior senator of Arizona urged senators to trust House Republicans ... and frankly, I don’t trust Republicans,” Cruz said. “It’s the leaders of both parties that got us in this mess. ... A lot of Republicans were complicit in this spending spree.”

http://thehill.com/video/senate/301329-cruz-i-dont-trust-republicans

Belmont31R
05-22-13, 20:25
Term limits. The good ole boy club running the show up there is far more damaging than a lame duck senator would be with term limits. Behind the scenes these people are good friends and its led to a certain way of doing things that has really hurt America. There are people up there who literally have not had a real private sector job since the 70's. then we wonder why nothing ever changes and we get lied to constantly. It's a good ole boy club that doesn't like anyone rocking the boat.

Alaskapopo
05-22-13, 20:29
Term limits. The good ole boy club running the show up there is far more damaging than a lame duck senator would be with term limits. Behind the scenes these people are good friends and its led to a certain way of doing things that has really hurt America. There are people up there who literally have not had a real private sector job since the 70's. then we wonder why nothing ever changes and we get lied to constantly. It's a good ole boy club that doesn't like anyone rocking the boat.

Term limits will not solve the problem. In fact they will make it easier for lobbying groups to buy off politicans who want to make a quick buck while their in for a limited amount of time. What needs to happen is an educated voting block. Politicians are a reflection of the people.
Pat

Belmont31R
05-22-13, 20:41
Term limits will not solve the problem. In fact they will make it easier for lobbying groups to buy off politicans who want to make a quick buck while their in for a limited amount of time. What needs to happen is an educated voting block. Politicians are a reflection of the people.
Pat

As if that's not already happening? Dodd is a lobbyist now.

Business_Casual
05-22-13, 20:49
We have term limits, they are called elections. What we have too much of is corruption in politics.

-bc

Alaskapopo
05-22-13, 20:50
We have term limits, they are called elections. What we have too much of is corruption in politics.

-bc

I agree.
Pat

Belmont31R
05-22-13, 20:54

-bc

The current people in charge are also in charge of the party election funding/support and districting. Ask Alan West how not being on the team worked out. They redistricted him right out of a job. All that stuff is huge in how elections are decided. It's an animal with self preservation on its mind first and foremost.

moonshot
05-22-13, 21:14
While I have disagreed with him lately, on this isue, I am in ageement with Alaskapopo. The solution is not term limits. We already have those - they're called elections.

As others have said, we need an informed electorate (not likely) and we need to level the election playing field by removing the financial and airtime advantage of the incumbant.

On the other hand, it's a good thing the Obamanation can't run again. I doubt if the sheeple would ever see him for what he is.

Belmont31R
05-22-13, 21:32
While I have disagreed with him lately, on this isue, I am in ageement with Alaskapopo. The solution is not term limits. We already have those - they're called elections.

As others have said, we need an informed electorate (not likely) and we need to level the election playing field by removing the financial and airtime advantage of the incumbant.

On the other hand, it's a good thing the Obamanation can't run again. I doubt if the sheeple would ever see him for what he is.

The entire system is setup to protect incumbents and party loyalists.

The state and national GOP spent a lot of money to try to keep Cruz from winning.

No.6
05-22-13, 22:50
My, my, Mr. Cruz seems to be stirring the shit....

mikelowrey
05-22-13, 22:56
My, my, Mr. Cruz seems to be stirring the shit....

That guy has some big ballies to say it like that!

SteyrAUG
05-22-13, 23:06
That guy has some big ballies to say it like that!

If Hillary can say "What difference does it make now?" about a bunch of people killed in a terrorist attack, claim she accepts full responsibility and NOTHING happens to her, then any politician can pretty much say almost anything.

mikelowrey
05-22-13, 23:09
If Hillary can say "What difference does it make now?" about a bunch of people killed in a terrorist attack, claim she accepts full responsibility and NOTHING happens to her, then any politician can pretty much say almost anything.

Damn Steyr, you definitely hit the nail with that one, absolutely true.

Moose-Knuckle
05-23-13, 00:23
Ha! I am really starting to like Cruz more and more.

Waylander
05-23-13, 01:27
So when are Rove and the GOP machine going to dig up supposed extramarital affairs and other scandals?

Sensei
05-23-13, 01:32
Ha! I am really starting to like Cruz more and more.

Yep. He is Ron Paul without the histrionics.

I suspect that he will one day be the GOP nominee for POTUS. Like Reagan, his path to the nomination will be long and rocky due to the toes that he has squashed.

JoshNC
05-23-13, 01:49
Pat

I agree. Additionally, term limits would give idealogue legislators nothing to lose by imposing their legislative wishes at the end of their term.

Spiffums
05-23-13, 05:55

So you all don't getting rid of life time senior members of Congress like Ted Kennedy, or Fienstien would be a good thing? They have (were) been "high ranking" members for a long long time and keep getting elected by there fan base but have nation wide implications. You might as well just let California, Chicago and NY run the whole damn country.

davidjinks
05-23-13, 07:37
As much as I dislike most of what you post, this is the absolute truth.

At one time I was a proponent of term limits. Having talked to many people way smarter than me regarding politics, term limits would screw us in the end.

An educated voting base is the thing that will fix many of the problems we have. Not all problems, but many of them.

I used to get pissed when I would hear people say: "We get what we deserve", in regards to elections and the people who are voted into office. Now, I completely agree with this.

Pat

Waylander
05-23-13, 07:50
So you all don't getting rid of life time senior members of Congress like Ted Kennedy, or Fienstien would be a good thing? They have (were) been "high ranking" members for a long long time and keep getting elected by there fan base but have nation wide implications. You might as well just let California, Chicago and NY run the whole damn country.

Who do you think vote those politicians into office? I know the voters wouldn't just elect better politicians if these imbeciles couldn't run anymore.
They would just vote for more of the same IMO.

As much as I dislike most of what you post, this is the absolute truth.

At one time I was a proponent of term limits. Having talked to many people way smarter than me regarding politics, term limits would screw us in the end.

An educated voting base is the thing that will fix many of the problems we have. Not all problems, but many of them.

I used to get pissed when I would hear people say: "We get what we deserve", in regards to elections and the people who are voted into office. Now, I completely agree with this.

I agree 100% and whoever votes in incompetent politicians get exactly what they deserve.
We as educated voters need to get the word out to stop letting the machine pick our politicians for us by spending big money and we wouldn't need term limits.

Business_Casual
05-23-13, 07:52
I know the voters wouldn't just elect better politicians if these imbeciles couldn't run anymore.

This is 100% correct and it is the voters' right to elect terrible people to office.

-bc

davidjinks
05-23-13, 08:05
I agree with you 100%!

Who do you think vote those politicians into office? I know the voters wouldn't just elect better politicians if these imbeciles couldn't run anymore.

I agree 100% and whoever votes in incompetent politicians get exactly what they deserve.
We as educated voters need to get the word out to stop letting the machine pick our politicians for us by spending big money and we wouldn't need term limits.

Belmont31R
05-23-13, 08:18

I don't deserve other people voting in communists.

The machine, as you say, protects loyal incumbents and redistricts out ones they don't like such as Alan West.

They put a lot of might and money behind the Cruz race for his RINO opponent.

Voters are always the key but no one can deny the party doesn't have a lot of push when it comes to elections.

Phillygunguy
05-23-13, 08:18
This is 100% correct and it is the voters' right to elect terrible people to office.

-bc

But the problem is the voters are typically stupid and uneducated and lazy that's why guys like Shumer Finestein and in PA we had Arlen Spector constantly in office term limits would protect the rest of the people from a monopoly of bad candidates. We also should get rid of the electoral college but that's going off topic even more

Business_Casual
05-23-13, 10:26
But the problem is the voters are typically stupid and uneducated and lazy that's why guys like Shumer Finestein and in PA we had Arlen Spector constantly in office.

The sky is blue, water is wet.

(sic) term limits would protect the rest of the people from a monopoly of bad candidates.

No, what they would do is promote the unelected staff members to policy level. This is basically what happened to the Tsars and the French monarchs.

-bc

jet66
05-23-13, 11:42
I'm of a mixed opinion on term limits, mainly because of the concerns over what could be done by someone knowing their time is very short. However, I'm not really fond of the 'career politician' concept, it seems contrary to the idea of 'for the people, by the people' when the representatives of the people become too disconnected from the realities of the people. Perhaps if the term limits were longer than the POTUS, say 16-20 years max time in office? It could alleviate the 'short term' concerns while putting some kind of ceiling on the 'career' aspect.

The bigger problem, even bigger than corruption, is that whole pesky 'informed voter' thing. As long as that never changes, which I'm thinking it won't, term lengths/limits won't matter all that much.

brickboy240
05-23-13, 12:41
The only members of the DC crowd that give me any hope at all are Rand Paul and...yes...Ted Cruz.

Everyone else is suspect and tends to lose their spine from time to time.

-brickboy240

Business_Casual
05-23-13, 15:03
Case in point:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/05/23/report-mayor-didnt-save-any-money-casting-really-wide-net-for-jobs/

Mayor LA lived like a king (literally) for years on public money. No regrets.

-bc

VooDoo6Actual
05-23-13, 15:16
The only members of the DC crowd that give me any hope at all are Rand Paul and...yes...Ted Cruz.

Everyone else is suspect and tends to lose their spine from time to time.

-brickboy240

Certainly a good start.

There may be & probably are more as I have not yet done ALL the due diligence on their voting 'CV' & support of issues yet.

brickboy240
05-23-13, 15:55
In truth...yes...there probably are more.

However, those two...I know...can be counted on 100% of the time.

Most others (including the other Senator from my state) tend to be less reliable.

We need more Pauls and Cruzs and less McCains and Grahams.

-brickboy240

VooDoo6Actual
05-23-13, 17:07
In truth...yes...there probably are more.

However, those two...I know...can be counted on 100% of the time.

Most others (including the other Senator from my state) tend to be less reliable.

We need more Pauls and Cruzs and less McCains and Grahams.

-brickboy240

Indeed,
It's painfully obvious.

VooDoo6Actual
05-23-13, 19:49
Boehner: House won’t pass Senate immigration bill

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/23/boehner-house-wont-pass-senate-immigration-bill/

Belmont31R
05-23-13, 19:51
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/23/boehner-house-wont-pass-senate-immigration-bill/

They won't pass the bill as the senate form which is normal.