PDA

View Full Version : Judge Sentenced For Selling People To Private Prison

Belmont31R
05-22-13, 22:23
Should have gotten Ole Sparky.

http://blog.blacknews.com/2013/05/judge-mark-ciavarella-sentenced-selling-kids-prison-system101.html?m=1#.UZ2LZqa9LCQ

tb-av
05-22-13, 22:36
Wow...... that is just evil.

steyrman13
05-22-13, 22:44
4000 convictions overturned because of his greed....

SteyrAUG
05-22-13, 22:53
Wow...... that is just evil.

Yep, that's right up there.

And we all thought this sort of thing went away over 100 years ago.

All those lives destroyed.

NWPilgrim
05-23-13, 00:50
So a 28 yr sentence means he'll serve about 9 yrs or less? Divided by 4,000 kids would be about 1 day per kid or less. What justice.

Alaskapopo
05-23-13, 00:54

http://blog.blacknews.com/2013/05/judge-mark-ciavarella-sentenced-selling-kids-prison-system101.html?m=1#.UZ2LZqa9LCQ

That is part of the messed up side of trying to privitize the criminal justice system. This sucks.
Pat

CodeRed30
05-23-13, 01:05
That is part of the messed up side of trying to privitize the criminal justice system. This sucks.
Pat

Agreed. Private prisons are not a good thing. In their case, it's always profit over justice.

Moose-Knuckle
05-23-13, 01:17
He is going to need case discounts on Anal-Ese . . .

CodeRed30
05-23-13, 01:20
He is going to need case discounts on Anal-Ese . . .

Being that he was a judge, he'll get segregated from everyone so he won't face any kind of reprisals...

jklaughrey
05-23-13, 01:20
Agreed. Buddy of mine was Asst. Warden at a CCA facility. The staff were running "fight club" with rankings and betting in the prison. I swear shit like this isn't just in movies. Anyways he was quickly demoted and transferred so the state couldn't investigate his involvement. Many low level staff were found guilty, but the administrators just got reshuffled. No accountability, great to be king I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

davidjinks
05-23-13, 07:59
Edited.

Reading is fundamental! This is exactly the case I was talking about!

Belmont31R
05-23-13, 08:33
Pat

While this case is certainly bad I think it's subset of a problem where we try to criminalize everything in this country. You have less chance of going to jail in every other country on earth. We blow everyone else out of the water when it comes to sending people to jail.

kwelz
05-23-13, 10:48
Wasn't there a Law and Order SVU episode about this....

Seriously though. That is just screwed up. No wonder people are losing faith in the justice system.

Jer
05-23-13, 11:17
Wait, private prisons create conflict of interests?!? *gasp*

Alaskapopo
05-23-13, 15:02
While this case is certainly bad I think it's subset of a problem where we try to criminalize everything in this country. You have less chance of going to jail in every other country on earth. We blow everyone else out of the water when it comes to sending people to jail.

China just kills people. I could agree that a fair number of things need to be decriminalized (no jail time just fines) to make room for the people who need to stay in there longer.The system is also broke. We don't focus on rehabilitation much at all. We just house them and let them go and are surprized when they come back despite putting them back into the same situation that got them in prision in the first place. I am not talking about being easy on the prisioners but have jobs for them to do on the inside teach them a skill, have them keep a schedule maybe learn a little pride in a hard days work.
Pat

Irish
05-23-13, 15:33
The system is also broke. We don't focus on rehabilitation much at all. We just house them and let them go and are surprized when they come back despite putting them back into the same situation that got them in prision in the first place. I am not talking about being easy on the prisioners but have jobs for them to do on the inside teach them a skill, have them keep a schedule maybe learn a little pride in a hard days work.
Pat
Right on the money. Many people bemoaned Norway's prison policies after they were publicized following Anders Breivik mass shooting incident. However, Norway's recidivism rates are substantially lower than the U.S., as well as their current incarceration rates. Our antiquated ideas of "doing time" are only helping to keep the revolving prison door spinning merrily.

Mjolnir
05-23-13, 15:45
Nah, conspiracy theory stuff. That NEVER happens and all those people deserved it...

Extreme Sarcasm

"One man with courage makes a majority."

a0cake
05-23-13, 16:18
Nah, conspiracy theory stuff. That NEVER happens and all those people deserved it...

Extreme Sarcasm

Why would anyone think this is "conspiracy theory stuff?" The evidence is overwhelming. :confused:

Belmont31R
05-23-13, 16:19
Why would anyone think this is "conspiracy theory stuff?" The evidence is overwhelming. :confused:

Missed the extreme sarcasm statement?

a0cake
05-23-13, 16:20
Missed the extreme sarcasm statement?

No, I actually got his point and understood the move he was making. He's using the fact that this story is true to support the notion that various other conspiracy theories may also be true. He's suggesting that some people would dismiss the story you linked to as a conspiracy theory when it really wasn't -- and then parodying them. I'm saying that there's plenty of evidence for it, so that claim is wrong by definition.

Caeser25
05-23-13, 16:23
Yet look at how many real criminals are out on the streets.

Irish
05-23-13, 16:27
Make that 2 judges involved. Ex-Judge Michael Conahan (http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/09/ex-luzerne_county_judge_michae.html) is doing time for his part as well.

Denali
05-23-13, 16:40
http://www.examiner.com/article/pennsylvania-judge-blamed-for-child-s-suicide

Fonzo's son was 17 and an all-star wrestler with a chance at a college scholarship when he landed in Ciavarella's courtroom on a minor drug paraphernalia charge. Though the teen, Edward Kenzakoski, had no prior criminal record, he spent months at the private lockups and a wilderness camp and missed his senior year of high school. Kenzakoski emerged an angry, bitter and depressed young man. He committed suicide last June at the age of 23.

One example of the "ahh" judges misdeeds...

TAZ
05-23-13, 17:19
Gotta love having to pay for that sack of shits room and board for a few years. ****er should have to face GP.

I think Belmont has hit the head on the nail. We as a society need to really start thinking about why we have such a hard on for criminalizing everything we come accross. Jesus, supposedly a no priors kids life was ruined over drug paraphanelia. Really?! How sad.

IMO the majority of the things we put people in jail for could be handled with community service, house arrest, fines... Jail needs to be reserved to violent offenders and those who have shown no ability/willingness to reform their behaviors.

Alaskapopo
05-23-13, 17:29
Gotta love having to pay for that sack of shits room and board for a few years. ****er should have to face GP.

I think Belmont has hit the head on the nail. We as a society need to really start thinking about why we have such a hard on for criminalizing everything we come accross. Jesus, supposedly a no priors kids life was ruined over drug paraphanelia. Really?! How sad.

IMO the majority of the things we put people in jail for could be handled with community service, house arrest, fines... Jail needs to be reserved to violent offenders and those who have shown no ability/willingness to reform their behaviors.
We actually do do a lot of community service, house arrest and fines. Unfortunately many don't comply with these options and go back in. These options are good for first time offenders who are not surrounded by criminals in their peer group. What you need for the others is to get them out of those peer groups help them get the tools they need like an education to get a job. But most of the problem started well before the criminal justice system got involved back with homes without a father or a mother or both absent on duty.
Pat

GeorgiaBoy
05-23-13, 17:38
Right on the money. Many people bemoaned Norway's prison policies after they were publicized following Anders Breivik mass shooting incident. However, Norway's recidivism rates are substantially lower than the U.S., as well as their current incarceration rates. Our antiquated ideas of "doing time" are only helping to keep the revolving prison door spinning merrily.

*GASP*

Is that logic? M4C doesn't believe in such things.

We got to deter crime by punishing with long jail times! Hang the thieves at the city limit signs! 'Merica!

Moose-Knuckle
05-23-13, 17:42
Hang the thieves at the city limit signs!

Well that would cut down thefts by about 99% in said city, billions in taxes at the state and national levels, and solve the problem of over crowding.

Irish
05-23-13, 18:12
“Mass incarceration on a scale almost unexampled in human history is a fundamental fact of our country today – perhaps the fundamental fact, as slavery was the fundamental fact of 1850. In truth, there are more black men in the grip of the criminal-justice system – in prison, on probation, or on parole – than were in slavery then. Over all, there are now more people under ‘correctional supervision’ in America – more than six million – than were in the Gulag Archipelago under Stalin at its height.”

~ Adam Gopnik, “The Caging of America”

Mjolnir
05-23-13, 18:17
And my home state of Louisiana leads the nation and thus the entire planet...

Irish
05-23-13, 18:32
And since it's a thread about judges... (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/05/23/ex-judge-charged-with-stealing-cocaine-from-cases/)

The Pennsylvania State Police have charged a western Pennsylvania judge with stealing cocaine from evidence in cases he presided over before he abruptly resigned last year.

GeorgiaBoy
05-23-13, 19:12
Well that would cut down thefts by about 99% in said city, billions in taxes at the state and national levels, and solve the problem of over crowding.

And the town would suuuuuure look like a great place to live. Would remind me of that town in Hot Fuzz...

feedramp
05-23-13, 23:43
*GASP*

Is that logic? M4C doesn't believe in such things.

We got to deter crime by punishing with long jail times! Hang the thieves at the city limit signs! 'Merica!

No, we should institute Sharia and mete out just punishment on the spot.

jpmuscle
05-23-13, 23:44
Can we atleast get pay per view Death racing out of this?? yey ney?

Moose-Knuckle
05-24-13, 02:55
And the town would suuuuuure look like a great place to live.

Can I be City Manager?

Would remind me of that town in Hot Fuzz...

Ah yes the village of Sandford.

"Before you could say 'gypsy scum' we were knee-deep in dog muck, thieving kids and crusty jugglers." - Inspector Frank Butterman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oJzmlu8DFA

:lol:

SteyrAUG
05-24-13, 11:48

We really need two kinds of prisons.

One for those who did something wrong and we are trying to "correct" their behavior and one for those we never want to see again.

Non violent offenders and such should be sent to a "correctional facility" where they can spend their "time served" learning how to support themselves by non criminals means. They are worth teaching a trade to so they will have skills other than being a thief when they get out.

Violent offenders should go to a "housing facility." These are the murders and rapists we never want to see again. It should be nothing more than a containment facility with the bare minimum requirements to sustain life.

Irish
05-24-13, 11:58

One for those who did something wrong and we are trying to "correct" their behavior and one for those we never want to see again.

Non violent offenders and such should be sent to a "correctional facility" where they can spend their "time served" learning how to support themselves by non criminals means. They are worth teaching a trade to so they will have skills other than being a thief when they get out.

Violent offenders should go to a "housing facility." These are the murders and rapists we never want to see again. It should be nothing more than a containment facility with the bare minimum requirements to sustain life.

I like your style.

THCDDM4
05-24-13, 12:13

Well said.

Irish
05-24-13, 15:45
And the hits keep coming! (http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/DA6FQ4UG0)

A southwestern Illinois judge whose colleague died of a cocaine overdose while the two were on a hunting trip together has been charged with possession of heroin and guns.

VooDoo6Actual
05-24-13, 18:59
Former Massachusetts State Rep Busted with 500 Grams of METH at a Middle School

http://dcclothesline.com/2013/05/24/former-massachusetts-state-rep-busted-with-500-grams-of-meth-at-a-middle-school/

El Pistolero
05-24-13, 21:49
He oughtta be cell mates with Kermit Gosnell.