PDA

View Full Version : Wear on gas tube inside receiver

BrickShitHouse
05-23-13, 13:47
As stated in my previous thread, I am somewhat new to assembling AR uppers and have run into an issue.

The rifle is fully assembled and the gas tube inside the receiver is showing some wear after only 100rds on the bottom side of it. it appears as though the gas key is striking the bottom of it when the carrier closes on it. How do I fix this problem or assure that the gas tube is lined up properly inside the receiver?

Thanks a bunch for the help guys, I appreciate it.

yfz
05-23-13, 13:50
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=126150

yfz
05-23-13, 13:51
Tweak it till you don't feel the BCG drag on it. If the wear is excessive replace it and make sure the new one does not drag.

markm
05-23-13, 13:53
You should be able to see SOME shine on the tube where the key touches.

Take the carrier with the bolt out, and the charging handle out of the upper and slide the carrier in and out of the upper with the upper inverted.

There should be no significant bump/bouce when the key goes over the tube.

BrickShitHouse
05-23-13, 16:08
So could I, with the receiver upside down, just push the gas tube down a bit until the gas key isn't contacting it or should I disassemble every thing and crank on it?

I say "down" but it would really be up as the wear is on the 6 o'clock position of the gas tube. I'd prefer to not have to disassemble it but wanna make it right.

Thanks again guys!

AKDoug
05-23-13, 16:49
You can bend it with a screw driver to move it towards the lower or left/right. You can push it down with whatever to get it to move towards the top of the rifle.

markm
05-23-13, 16:57
You should post a pic. Some rubbing is NORMAL.