PDA

View Full Version : Just finished SPR/Recce... LOVE IT! Pics

Noodles
05-23-13, 18:51
Just got it done, well, sort of done, still waiting on a SSA-E for my Mega lower. So, this is my SSA with a forged lower. I have the same A5 on the Mega lower, but a ACS instead of an STR stock, and someday it'll have an SSA-E vs the (normally my carbine lower) SSA.

Important parts:
16" Proof Research (carbon wrapped, formerly ABS) Satern 1/8 barrel
Surefire socom hider, waiting on socom brake
13.5" NSR
Mega billet upper
Vortex 2.5-10x32mm FFP PST (been waiting on this)
ADM Recon mount
Geissele SSA
Vltor A5 with A5H3 buffer (A5H0 and A5H2 run as well)
Atlas QD
- Still waiting on SF RTS sights

Weight as shown with mag 9.6lbs using a precision scale

http://s22.postimg.org/vftbnhlc1/photo_1.jpg
http://s22.postimg.org/80bei51kx/photo_3.jpg
I love that it's still handy, the NSR, light-ish scope, and carbon barrel all do a little to keep weight down. With the mega lower and ACS I'll be at 10lbs. I take comfort knowing that some people's red dot carbines are heavier, until my silencer is approved I guess.

http://s22.postimg.org/iymo0bq69/photo_4.jpg
In case anyone wanted to see what a Mega billet upper (3H style) looks like on forged lower. It's plenty fine. I should sometime look to see what the opposite looks like. A lot of people are put off or picky about Mega's 3H and 3S styles, I think this combo looks fine enough.

http://s22.postimg.org/j8u6jo4sh/Tgt_Gfx.jpg
While this isn't internet phenomenal by any means. I mean it's ONLY 3/4 MOA, I was shooting 69gr HSM reloads, certainly acceptable for what I want this gun for! I didn't have a proper rear bag just a hat with some gloves tucked in it, and the SSA-E might have been a tiny bit better, oh, and I also suck. I would have done a proper 10 shot group but it was raining and I was cold. I only shot these three when sighting it in then photo-ed it later. I spent most of my time on the 300y range, seeing how fast I could hit the 10" plate... pretty quickly.

I spent quite some time planning this gun, and so far I'm THRILLED with it. I have a SPR class coming up, I think this gun will do just fine.

fallenromeo
05-23-13, 19:36
Very nice. Very similar to what I am working on. :D

Achilles11B
05-23-13, 20:39
Nice rifle and nice group! What made you want to go with a 16" barrel vs. 18" or 20"?

Noodles
05-23-13, 21:23
Nice rifle and nice group! What made you want to go with a 16" barrel vs. 18" or 20"?

Basically.... 65fps is why I chose 16" over 18".

Good question... I actually put a ton of research into that. Everyone does 18" rifle length because for the most part it's a comprise off of 20" and that's what Crane chose for the Mk18.

What I discovered in my research was that... This is all just mostly my opinion. If you disagree, I probably don't care ;) I'm not bashing your 18" just explaining my choice for 16":

- I read a couple places that Crane chose 18" for the Mk12 because one group wanted 16" and another wanted 20" to make everyone happy the chose 18", I didn't have the same requirements and didn't want the same compromise.

- I talked to a very smart guy at Noveske who admitted that 18" rifle was dumb and they hated it. They had no problems with any combo except 18" rifle. So that's why they started using intermediate. Well, all fine and good except I'm not a huge fan on non-standard parts. I made an exception for the A5 buffer since it's not a wear part.

- Noveske also echoed that it's 50-75fps difference and that guy personally preferred 16" rifles

- I wanted a gun that I COULD configure as a carbine.

- Proof Research got me a barrel to test out, not free, but not retail, I wanted a 16" at this point, but that's what this one happened to be anyhow

- I'm suppressing it with a SF 556-RC and a 762-RC, I didn't want 18" + a 308 can as a worst case, that said... My next point

- 2" didn't ****ing matter pro or con, at 600y it won't make a noticeable difference to me. This is my long range "training" gun. I can't afford a 308 semi, so I'll make due with this, everything will be harder (wind and drop) but cheap enough for me to shoot

IMO, go 16" Middy, or go 20" rifle if you feel you need the extra velocity or smoother action. This gun is STUPID smooth with the A5H3, all the brass lands in a 15" diameter pile on the ground, it's lovely, 20" I'd probably not notice a difference. If I find I want longer, I'll go 20". But I knew I would hike this gun into shooting spots so I wanted to keep it as small and light as possible.

For the velocity difference of the 16", I figure with the suppressor boost, it's negligible to 18", really it's all the same.

Noodles
05-23-13, 21:27
Very nice. Very similar to what I am working on. :D

I can massively recommend the NSR rail and the A5 specifically. Of course the SSA and SSA-E are great. Magpul's MOE+ grip was noticeably better than hard plastic in the rain. The ATLAS vs Harris is a toss up because both excel at different things. The Vortex 2.5-10x FFP is stunningly nice for the price, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about that.

Agnostic
05-23-13, 21:46
I just finished putting together a precision rifle and chose the 16" for many of the reasons you chose 16". I figured I would lose a little distance (IIRC it was ~30-40 yards from an 18"), but the slightly shorter, lighter barrel was worth it to me.

As soon as the market calms down a little more I want to put together a 14.5" or 12.5" lightweight precision set up for my wife. She wants something a little lighter than my 16" (BCM 16" SS).

BrigandTwoFour
05-23-13, 23:23
Looks very nice. I am awaiting the same optic right now to replace the TR24 sitting atop my recce.

The A5 is a great piece of kit. Everyone who has shot my ARs equipped with them has commented on how much smoother the whole thing becomes.

fallenromeo
05-24-13, 12:41
I can massively recommend the NSR rail and the A5 specifically. Of course the SSA and SSA-E are great. Magpul's MOE+ grip was noticeably better than hard plastic in the rain. The ATLAS vs Harris is a toss up because both excel at different things. The Vortex 2.5-10x FFP is stunningly nice for the price, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about that.

I agree. I already have the 15" NSR on my 16" BCM SS410 upper. I am waiting on my SSA-E (currently have an SSA in the lower). I went with a UBR stock though and I am going with the 3-15 FFP from SWFA. I love the Vortex though, great scopes. The 2.5-10FFP was the other option, but I decided on the SWFA.

CodeRed30
05-24-13, 14:28
Any chance you're going to try a 77gr projectile in the future? I'm fairly new to the 5.56 being used as a longer range gun, but I thought the 77gr was the go-to round for distances?

Noodles
05-24-13, 15:00
Any chance you're going to try a 77gr projectile in the future? I'm fairly new to the 5.56 being used as a longer range gun, but I thought the 77gr was the go-to round for distances?

I shot 55gr, 69, and 77 the other day when I took these photos. The group with 77gr was .9 vs .7, but it was also just three shots to see POI difference, and to verify function.

I've repeatadly been told that 1/8 loves 69gr and only like 77gr. We'll see. I have 500 of each on hand to see.

For the most part, between 69 and 77, find what the gun likes better and stick to it, it's 11% more mass and probably about 11% less velocity so, it's all the same imo.

Judging by how much I was moving around, not having a proper rear bag, just getting started on long range, and the break on the trigger, I am all but certain this gun can do 1/2 MOA with a better shooter. Now, I definitely did not build this gun for that, I built it for 600y+, so if it mechanically holds 6" at 600y I'd be thrilled. If I can do 3MOA at 600 I'd probably equally be thrilled ;)

sapper36
05-24-13, 23:25
Vortex 2.5-10x32mm FFP PST (been waiting on this)

I went back and forth about this glass for weeks and finally went with the 1-4 PST. Hopefully I will be ble to do what I want with the lower power (800 yards). Having to wait is what did it in for me also, once I found the 1-4 in stock I bought it to have a bit of piece! Hope it works well for you!

Noodles
05-25-13, 20:46
I went back and forth about this glass for weeks and finally went with the 1-4 PST. Hopefully I will be ble to do what I want with the lower power (800 yards). Having to wait is what did it in for me also, once I found the 1-4 in stock I bought it to have a bit of piece! Hope it works well for you!

I kicked around the 1-4 too. Decided that for a long range trainer, his gun would need a little more scope. For a to-use gun, I thought the 1-4 or acog would be great.

I'm pleased with the 2.5-10 ffp, but the SFP would be probably just as good. Magnification aside, that reticle is the shit! Only thing better would be an open center but I'm a pretty big fan as is.

Koshinn
05-25-13, 20:59
I kicked around the 1-4 too. Decided that for a long range trainer, his gun would need a little more scope. For a to-use gun, I thought the 1-4 or acog would be great.

I'm pleased with the 2.5-10 ffp, but the SFP would be probably just as good. Magnification aside, that reticle is the shit! Only thing better would be an open center but I'm a pretty big fan as is.

My only problem with the vortex 2.5-10 is that the illumination isn't daylight useable.

Noodles
05-25-13, 21:07
My only problem with the vortex 2.5-10 is that the illumination isn't daylight useable.

I messed around with that actually... The only thing I haven't been able to see the illuminated reticle on has been a bright white building, and a couple other things that during peak daylight have been too bright, BUT, in everything I've tried and couldn't see the lit reticle, I have been able to easily the black reticle.

So, I don't have a ton of experience with this, but so far, I'm not really understanding the big deal about daylight visable. Same goes for the acogs I've used, at 400y you are off the lot section but its still useable. Maybe a black target would change things.

bp7178
05-25-13, 22:40

Why is that an issue?

Hygienist
05-27-13, 20:49
Great looking rifle! I myself have been strongly considering a Proof Research bbl.

1. I know you said you didn't necessarily get it the usual route but if you had to wait for it, can you share how long the lead time was?

2. Also, how well does the bbl handle rapid fire strings? Does it handle it like a bull barrel would, where the accuracy doesn't degrade much, or does it handle it like a pencil barrel, where you do see the accuracy degrade after firing a lot of rounds in short order?

3. Lastly, not that I'm asking you to touch the bbl ( :) ), but can you tell if the carbon fiber is either
A. Heating up rapidly but then cooling down rapidly
B. Heating up slower than a regular barrel would

Thanks man! :)

ra2bach
05-28-13, 10:15

at any power above the minimum it's not an issue. with a scope like a 1-4, where the bottom x substitutes for a RDS, it can be but I don't find it to be a problem. people were shooting far away things long before scopes were illuminated...

Koshinn
05-28-13, 10:30
Why is that an issue?

I like illumination for close range work at the lowest magnification without an offset rds or buis.

Oh and another separate issue is exposed turrets. It's not actually an issue, more like personal preference. But I like to set the zero then protect the turrets and use hold overs.

Noodles
05-28-13, 10:51
Oh and another separate issue is exposed turrets. It's not actually an issue, more like personal preference. But I like to set the zero then protect the turrets and use hold overs.

Definitely not an issue. The PST series has adjustable zero stop.

Noodles
05-28-13, 12:05
Great looking rifle! I myself have been strongly considering a Proof Research bbl.

1. I know you said you didn't necessarily get it the usual route but if you had to wait for it, can you share how long the lead time was?

2. Also, how well does the bbl handle rapid fire strings? Does it handle it like a bull barrel would, where the accuracy doesn't degrade much, or does it handle it like a pencil barrel, where you do see the accuracy degrade after firing a lot of rounds in short order?

3. Lastly, not that I'm asking you to touch the bbl ( :) ), but can you tell if the carbon fiber is either
A. Heating up rapidly but then cooling down rapidly
B. Heating up slower than a regular barrel would

Thanks man! :)

Well... Difficult subject. I don't really know yet on most of that, and on some I'm not really the guy to ask about it.

1. No lead because I picked on up used/demo, sort of.
2. I've only had a chance to sight it in for the most part. I'm going to be running a carbine class in July, that will be with my 12.5", but I'm going to run this gun as well using angled irons (to test them out). I'll see if I can get this gun nice and hot and confirm hot/cold zero in the meantime, but worst-case then.
3. No idea yet. I'll do some testing when I get the gun hot. One thing that I can say, is I've seen some highspeed thermal testing of these barrels, it doesn't exactly make a ton of sense to me sometimes, but I can confirm I have see them side by side run cooler at the muzzle and chamber than steel. That's about all I could comment on that yet. I've talked to people that complain about near instant mirage on the barrels, and others that insist they must be insulting because the carbon doesn't get "hot enough". I can confirm that these barrels are light, and they are stiff as shit! I have them making me a 20" bull barrel for a 700 that should be about lightweight barrel contour weight, it's 1.25" all the way to the muzzle.

PM me if you like and I can help you figure out what makes the most sense for you.

Koshinn
05-28-13, 13:16
Definitely not an issue. The PST series has adjustable zero stop.

That's besides the point. You're moving through the woods, a branch or your gear hits your turrets and adjusts them. You see your target, be it a deer or boar or something with fewer legs, and pull your rifle up to take the shot.

One if two things happens. 1) you miss because your turrets were changed and you didn't notice, scaring away the target. 2) you notice your zero moved and fix it. Fixing it takes time and makes noise, which depending on distance doesn't matter. You could also theoretically see how much you are off then hold over I guess. But I'd rather not have that problem, personally. Especially if you only have a second or two to take a shot.

Noodles
05-29-13, 12:33
That's besides the point. You're moving through the woods, a branch or your gear hits your turrets and adjusts them. You see your target, be it a deer or boar or something with fewer legs, and pull your rifle up to take the shot.

One if two things happens. 1) you miss because your turrets were changed and you didn't notice, scaring away the target. 2) you notice your zero moved and fix it. Fixing it takes time and makes noise, which depending on distance doesn't matter. You could also theoretically see how much you are off then hold over I guess. But I'd rather not have that problem, personally. Especially if you only have a second or two to take a shot.

I guess I've never had that issue. With zero stop you can even get in the habit of randomly turning to the left if you feel like it's moved. The PST turrets aren't what I would consider loose or likely to spin accidentally but sure it's possible.

There is also the fiber optic at the top of the Vortex turret that quickly shows you if it's been turned or is not at zero.

Doc. Holiday
05-30-13, 18:23
Great build Noodles! I love it when you think up your own deal and it sounds good on paper and actually performs as it was told on paper! Good for you!

Noodles
05-30-13, 18:29
Great build Noodles! I love it when you think up your own deal and it sounds good on paper and actually performs as it was told on paper! Good for you!

Thanks Doc! I'm thrilled so far. I'd take it out this weekend, but I have a couple yard projects to do. I'll update when I get to that. I also have the SSA-E that should be here Monday.

I decided to take this as my backup to a carbine course. I'll pull the bipod off of it but leave the scope. That will give me some time on the angled irons I have coming in and I'll heat this bastard up and see about the POI shift and then after that a good cold bore POI.

Doc. Holiday
05-30-13, 18:33
Right on. How do you like your compensator? I have been shopping around for awhile trying to do my own "do-dilligence" on which one is best. Right now, I'm running a triple port muzzle break and it's just too much. The gases go everywhere and smack people and the noise is horrible (obviously). So how is yours? Recoil wise, sound wise, and flash wise?

Noodles
05-30-13, 18:49
Right on. How do you like your compensator? I have been shopping around for awhile trying to do my own "do-dilligence" on which one is best. Right now, I'm running a triple port muzzle break and it's just too much. The gases go everywhere and smack people and the noise is horrible (obviously). So how is yours? Recoil wise, sound wise, and flash wise?

That's the surefire flash hider on there. Which is a REALLY great flash hider, but does nothing for comp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGKVzHCpBZA

I plan on putting sf socom brake on there but they out of stock everywhere. This gun in particular is going to be 80% suppressed at least, see the video for flash reduction (and recoil reduction) with the can too.

I'm big into the suppressors, so I'm not sure about anything on the market that isn't also a can mount ;)

tylerw02
06-14-13, 12:31

Has this ever actually happened to you?

I've not used this particular scope, but I've found that with my S&B and NF scopes, they don't easily turn by "bumping something" random on the woods. I've in my life had one issue with not having the turret where I thought it was. It was at a match and about ten people finger-****ed my rifle wanting to look through the new scope or get behind the new chassis. It was my fault for not checking, but somebody definitely turned the windage.

SURVIVORTYPE
06-22-13, 04:26
Nice rig noodles. I think I am sold on getting the NSR rail. I would like a similar set up and good shooting.

Noodles
06-27-13, 18:43
Nice rig noodles. I think I am sold on getting the NSR rail. I would like a similar set up and good shooting.

I have a precision rifle class coming up in July. This is my primary. Hopefully I'll have some time on 600y before I get there, but definitely will have after.

I have a lot of work to do! Need to re-center the scope, loctite everything, paint mark the screws, make a kit with all the correct tools for that gun, etc.

Also need a way to carry some more mags... That's going to be a pain.

PCFIVEZ
07-08-13, 01:05
gorgeous!

Noodles
07-08-13, 11:33
gorgeous!

Thanks!

I just ordered the surefire RTS (45 degree sights) for it. And in two weeks I will have a ton more to say, pictures, videos, and a class write up. Looking forward to it. Have a sinking feeling I don't have enough gear! But I'm sure I'll get through it.

decodeddiesel
07-15-13, 23:41
It seems like you did a good job assembling your rifle, but where are the 10 shot groups? Honestly, claiming it is sub-MOA based off 3 shot groups is just ridiculous. Further, hitting a 10" plate at 300 yards is not that much of a feat. This is something I have no doubt I could do with an M16A2 with irons all day long, much less a 4x ACOG. I understand it was shitty and rainy, but still.

Look man I'm not trying to piss on your parade here, but you kind of deserve to get dragged through the mud over this. Post up some 10 round groups, and move that plate back to the 500 yard line (2 MOA equivalent) and lets see what she'll do!

Noodles
07-15-13, 23:48
It seems like you did a good job assembling your rifle, but where are the 10 shot groups? Honestly, claiming it is sub-MOA based off 3 shot groups is just ridiculous. Further, hitting a 10" plate at 300 yards is not that much of a feat. This is something I have no doubt I could do with an M16A2 with irons all day long, much less a 4x ACOG. I understand it was shitty and rainy, but still.

Look man I'm not trying to piss on your parade here, but you kind of deserve to get dragged through the mud over this. Post up some 10 round groups, and move that plate back to the 500 yard line (2 MOA equivalent) and lets see what she'll do!

So... Reading comprehension isn't your thing huh? Those pics are just from sighting in, wrong trigger, no rear bag, non match ammo. I'll have more pics and video after next weekend. Then the article Im writting about this gun and Magpul's precision rifle classes will have more details about this from 50-600 yards in terms of accuracy and performance.

In the meantime, feel free to make a thread about your own gear.

decodeddiesel
07-15-13, 23:59
So... Reading comprehension isn't your thing huh? Those pics are just from sighting in, wrong trigger, no rear bag, non match ammo. I'll have more pics and video after next weekend. Then the article Im writting about this gun and Magpul's precision rifle classes will have more details about this from 50-600 yards in terms of accuracy and performance.

In the meantime, feel free to make a thread about your own gear.

Easy buddy, take a deep breath and calm down. Like I said, I wasn't trying to piss on your parade. The truth of the matter is that a 3 round group tells you NOTHING about the rifle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/279218_The_Trouble_With_3_Shot_Groups.html

Further hitting a 10 in. plate at 300 yards proves you are no better than a 3.3 MOA rifle.

If you want compliments about how good your rifle looks, post pics in the picture thread. If you are looking for feedback from people that just might know a thing or two about precision rifles and how to run them, you post here.

Thank you for your concern over my reading abilities. :rolleyes:

Noodles
07-22-13, 16:38
Ignoring the notion that shooting tiny groups in paper on a static range at 100 yards is has any degree of importance...

http://s22.postimg.org/doizpzi2p/IMG_1452c.jpg
(at 105º or so it's a good idea to keep the sun from baking the stock)

I took this gun to an SPR course this past three days. Learned a LOT. This gun ****ing killed it, beyond my capability for sure, which is great. Very happy with the rifle performance. For being 8.8lbs unloaded with optic, bipod, sling, it handled and shot fantastically . Truth be told, I never felt like the rifle was heavy even in 105º heat and running with it. It's not a feather, but I never felt like it was a burden. I'd absolutely go with the same setup again as of writing this.

I had some MAJOR issues the second day that really had me stumped. Got through it, fixed it up, then went on to rock it. Pain in the ass is that when you pay to get instruction on techniques and how to develop a better skill set, you want your gear to work otherwise you're loosing money! It took me a little while to figure out how I'd hit at 650ish three times in a row with wind dialed left at 1mil, then completely blow 300 yard shots directly after always hitting at 2 oclock consistently.

I'm VERY pleased with that barrel. I was having trouble shooting any groups tighter than 1" (heat/dehydration, I generally suck at shooting groups, we didn't devote time to grouping because it's sort of dumb in practice), but I had someone else come by and shoot a 3/8ths inch set of 4 shots using my 69gr ammo. That was just for zeroing, sorry if a 4 shot group to zero offends anyone.

I'll be writing the AAR for the course up but that won't really focus on the tool used. That's really just all it is. I swapped guns around a little bit and nailed targets longer than I thought possible with 14.5" and other setups.

Back on the gun. Love it. The SF muzzle brake I put on (had a HARD time finding one! If you're looking, try AllenArms, best bet imo) and the A5H3 buffer make it stupid soft shooting. I won a 1-5 drill that was done at 300 yards, I even missed three times and still cleared it by enough of a lead that vindicated my terrible shooting the previous day (gear issue).

Put on some SF RTS sights but I haven't had a chance to run them much yet.

Things I want to change.... I need to find a top rail mounted QD that has cups like the new Magpul one at 45º, but has one on each side vs just one on either side. Other than that... awesome. Accidentally released the bolt (while just walking around) using the Mega AMBI bolt release button, not a problem, I'm just not sure I'll ever use that feature as it's intended. I also need to incorporate more PT into my long gun training. Getting good shots with my pulse and breathing increased sort of kicked my ass. It wasn't even a slight deal for carbine, but trying to focus on all the fundamentals with that extra stress is tough.

I'm looking forward to writing up this SPR class and getting into some more detail on the rifle there.

Doc. Holiday
07-23-13, 11:24
Thanks for the follow up Noodles! Keep up the great shooting! Keep us up to date with your toy!

Noodles
07-24-13, 18:09
I need to hang some steel at 400 somewhere. My local range tops out at 300 and the 1000y range has a shitty RO I dislike.

Ran a 1-5 drill at 400y, with a final shot at 150y this weekend at 40 seconds, 3 misses. I know I can do better than that clean, only got one shot at it.

Oddly enough I'm in the one spot out in the Rockies that has no damn room!

Doc. Holiday
07-25-13, 09:00
Haha, I understand! What state you in? I'm in Utah, if close enough we will have to burn a few barrels sometime.

Gatorshark
07-25-13, 11:32
Man I like it! I'm a Mega fan though.

bighawk
07-25-13, 16:01
Great looking gun! I'm have the vortex 1-4 on my 18" right now due to availability when I built it. How do you like the 2.5-10? Im trying to decide if I should go that route in the 18" and put the 1-4 on a 16".

Noodles
07-25-13, 19:15
Great looking gun! I'm have the vortex 1-4 on my 18" right now due to availability when I built it. How do you like the 2.5-10? Im trying to decide if I should go that route in the 18" and put the 1-4 on a 16".

I like the 2.5-10x FFP very much.... Well.... I'd like it a lot better if it wasn't broken and sitting on my desk! I'm still not sure what the issue is. I'm talking to Vortex about it, but so far haven't gotten very far!

It's an extremely difficult issue to determine. We testing the tracking out to 10 mils and back, dead on, impressively dead on actually. And we confirmed torque, checked for binding and other issues. But for some reason it's acting up in a way were couldn't figure out. See the last photo I posted with a Premier scope on the gun!

I'll wait until Vortex gets back to me before I really get into it. The shitty thing is I spent two days trying to figure out why occasionally I can't hit SHIT! :) I spent some time on a 14.5 with a NF 2.5-10 and was making reliable hits at 600y. Switched over to a KAC something-or-another with a Leu 1-8 and same.

Basically, if your dope calls for 3.0 at 500y and you aren't hitting until 2.2 minimum, there is a problem.

But..... Once Vortex can get me a good part. I think THIS is the scope to get for ARs if you don't absolutely have to have 1x. Between the street price, the zero stop, illumination, FFP, exposed mil turrets, fine mil reticle, parallax adjustment, and lightweight (ish) it's a hell of a deal!

The only scope I've not gotten first or second hand reports of going to absolute shit is Nightforce, but I'm not crazy about their reticle choices or price on the 2.5-10x compact. So, even though I have a bad one, I definitely recommend the PST 2.5-10x FFP.

Doc. Holiday
07-26-13, 08:59
I've been trying to figure out which one I want, either the PST 2.5-10 or the 4-16. I think I personally want the 4-16 for what I am wanting my gun to do.

Noodles
07-26-13, 11:59
I've been trying to figure out which one I want, either the PST 2.5-10 or the 4-16. I think I personally want the 4-16 for what I am wanting my gun to do.

I was in the same boat. I went with the 2.5-10x because if I ever want to put that on a lower sight height, the smaller objective will work well for that (full length railed bolt gun, Ruger Scout, SCAR-style gun, etc). Plus I wanted just a little bit lower bottom end... Although, with the side mounted irons, the lowest I've dialed that scope to was 6x for fast 400y shooting. So, I see no reason the 4-16 wouldn't work well. It's only slightly larger and slightly heavier.

Then again... I was using the 10x to go out to 750y on steel. The issue was not lack of scope for target id and holding for wind, but it was pretty damn hard to see hits clearly (basically, if it wasn't an obvious miss, I cautiously assumed hit when there wasn't a spotter calling hits).

So I think 10x is plenty for practical applications on a 556. If I was shooting heavy I'd probably opt for the 16x. I'm still kicking that around myself. I have a Proof rifle coming that I'm not sure if I'll go to 16x or 20x.

bighawk
07-26-13, 14:00
I like the 2.5-10x FFP very much.... Well.... I'd like it a lot better if it wasn't broken and sitting on my desk! I'm still not sure what the issue is. I'm talking to Vortex about it, but so far haven't gotten very far!

It's an extremely difficult issue to determine. We testing the tracking out to 10 mils and back, dead on, impressively dead on actually. And we confirmed torque, checked for binding and other issues. But for some reason it's acting up in a way were couldn't figure out. See the last photo I posted with a Premier scope on the gun!

I'll wait until Vortex gets back to me before I really get into it. The shitty thing is I spent two days trying to figure out why occasionally I can't hit SHIT! :) I spent some time on a 14.5 with a NF 2.5-10 and was making reliable hits at 600y. Switched over to a KAC something-or-another with a Leu 1-8 and same.

Basically, if your dope calls for 3.0 at 500y and you aren't hitting until 2.2 minimum, there is a problem.

But..... Once Vortex can get me a good part. I think THIS is the scope to get for ARs if you don't absolutely have to have 1x. Between the street price, the zero stop, illumination, FFP, exposed mil turrets, fine mil reticle, parallax adjustment, and lightweight (ish) it's a hell of a deal!

The only scope I've not gotten first or second hand reports of going to absolute shit is Nightforce, but I'm not crazy about their reticle choices or price on the 2.5-10x compact. So, even though I have a bad one, I definitely recommend the PST 2.5-10x FFP.

Thanks for all the info.. Now im excited to get my hands on one.

domestique
09-01-13, 03:08
Very nice Noodles! The NSR rails are really growing on me. I was always partial to the Vtac slick rails, but that is just gorgeous.

If you are looking for a Surefire brake B&H photo has a bunch in stock and the cheapest price I have found.

wild_wild_wes
09-01-13, 03:33
Noodles, did you ever get the Vortex scope issue straightened out?

BrigandTwoFour
09-01-13, 11:21

I am curious as well.

I've had one of these on backorder since April 2. At the slow rate these things become available, it would really suck to have a problem with it and have to wait that much more time for another one.

wild_wild_wes
09-01-13, 11:47
I am curious as well.

I've had one of these on backorder since April 2. At the slow rate these things become available, it would really suck to have a problem with it and have to wait that much more time for another one.

Where is yours on order from? I ordered from OpticsPlanet on Friday; the site said "5 to 7 weeks", but an hour or so after I placed the order an OpticsPlanet guy called (nice touch!) and said it would probably be 3 to 5 weeks.

domestique
09-01-13, 20:17
Where is yours on order from? I ordered from OpticsPlanet on Friday; the site said "5 to 7 weeks", but an hour or so after I placed the order an OpticsPlanet guy called (nice touch!) and said it would probably be 3 to 5 weeks.

I'm asuming you ordered the MRAD version? Amazon has the "MOA" version (I personally perfer all MRAD) but that is in stock ready to ship.

wild_wild_wes
09-01-13, 20:40
Yeah I ordered MRAD. I've heard a lot of good things about this optic, so I hope the OPs issue, whatever it was, was resolved satisfactorily.

Noodles
09-03-13, 12:51

FU(K NO. I'm getting kinda pissed about it too. I can't get into it just yet. Still working it out, but I'm about to get it wrapped up. I'll fully detail exactly what happened as soon as it's resolved, and if I find a guilty party... I won't be shy about it.

Noodles
09-03-13, 12:52
Yeah I ordered MRAD. I've heard a lot of good things about this optic, so I hope the OPs issue, whatever it was, was resolved satisfactorily.

DEFINITELY MIL/MRAD. It's a good scope no doubt. Don't let my issues detract from your purchase, even if I got a bad one, not likely you would have as well.

Noodles
09-03-13, 13:11
I took it out labor day. I got the scope back from Vortex, they're confident that it's not a scope issue... That's all I'll say about it for now. Took a drive with my friend up in the mountains. Found a suitable spot I'm sure I'll be returning to.

We set up an 8" steel at 525y. We didn't want to shoot any closer or further because of fire danger. It was humid-ish and while shooting started to rain a little, it was pretty much perfect to see the vapor trail so that helped. This was a scouting mission to find a good spot so I only brought a single 20 round mag. I brought a mat, but ended up just shooting from a sitting position off of a log, the mat was supposed to be catching my brass so as not to litter or start a fire. Special attention to not getting the muzzle brake in the grass as well.

It was a really short hike up to the shooting spot. Realized when we started hiking this is bear country, I completely forgot any sort of bear gun (AR was in the truck while we were scouting around), we had a Khar 45acp but still even with the AR on the return trip I was definitely thinking this is a good idea to find a Grizzly if you wanted to.

Uneventful for wildlife except for deer and elk tracks. But that's fine with me. The gun wasn't completely sighted in, so we took a few rounds and slipped turrets to something close to what 525y should be according to my book. Between my buddy and I we got it dialed in, got a couple of hits... then... ALL HIGH for the next five rounds between two shooters. Just like the issues I had in Yakima, the gun is good to go, then all of sudden it's 20" off at 500y.

So we called it a day after 20 rounds. It was just to check the area out for the most part. But I now have the same issue with the same gear. That means it's my scope which Vortex checked out, or my mount, the gun and ammo gun are verified good to go. This is good because this is definitely getting fixed.

Not a big issue. I'm going to address the hardware and get a resolution. But it was still fun to get out there and apply all the stuff we've been working on. I also know exactly what to look for with that specific gear causing issues now.

http://s23.postimg.org/jyng4d92z/IMG_1671e.jpg
and
http://s23.postimg.org/dm8auj60p/IMG_1667e.jpg

Doc. Holiday
09-03-13, 13:13
That's my problem, I can't decide if I want the MOA or the MIL. :-S

Doc. Holiday
09-03-13, 13:18
I took it out labor day. I got the scope back from Vortex, they're confident that it's not a scope issue... That's all I'll say about it for now. Took a drive with my friend up in the mountains. Found a suitable spot I'm sure I'll be returning to.

We set up an 8" steel at 525y. We didn't want to shoot any closer or further because of fire danger. It was humid-ish and while shooting started to rain a little, it was pretty much perfect to see the vapor trail so that helped. This was a scouting mission to find a good spot so I only brought a single 20 round mag. I brought a mat, but ended up just shooting from a sitting position off of a log, the mat was supposed to be catching my brass so as not to litter or start a fire. Special attention to not getting the muzzle brake in the grass as well.

It was a really short hike up to the shooting spot. Realized when we started hiking this is bear country, I completely forgot any sort of bear gun (AR was in the truck while we were scouting around), we had a Khar 45acp but still even with the AR on the return trip I was definitely thinking this is a good idea to find a Grizzly if you wanted to.

Uneventful for wildlife except for deer and elk tracks. But that's fine with me. The gun wasn't completely sighted in, so we took a few rounds and slipped turrets to something close to what 525y should be according to my book. Between my buddy and I we got it dialed in, got a couple of hits... then... ALL HIGH for the next five rounds between two shooters. Just like the issues I had in Yakima, the gun is good to go, then all of sudden it's 20" off at 500y.

So we called it a day after 20 rounds. It was just to check the area out for the most part. But I now have the same issue with the same gear. That means it's my scope which Vortex checked out, or my mount, the gun and ammo gun are verified good to go. This is good because this is definitely getting fixed.

Not a big issue. I'm going to address the hardware and get a resolution. But it was still fun to get out there and apply all the stuff we've been working on. I also know exactly what to look for with that specific gear causing issues now.

http://s23.postimg.org/jyng4d92z/IMG_1671e.jpg
and
http://s23.postimg.org/dm8auj60p/IMG_1667e.jpg

Dang man, that's really annoying. I had a similar situation happen to me so I can relate. I would def check your scope mount and see if it is seating correctly and holding it's torque.

Noodles
09-03-13, 13:22
That's my problem, I can't decide if I want the MOA or the MIL. :-S

Just do mils. For the most part, same thing. When you really get into it, Mils is better. If you're going to round calculations in your head, mils has a lower margin of error. If you're going to shoot from a card or software 100% of the time, either will work for you. Minor differences really.

I prefer mils as long as the reticle matches the turrets. If it doesn't, RUN.

Noodles
09-03-13, 13:25
Dang man, that's really annoying. I had a similar situation happen to me so I can relate. I would def check your scope mount and see if it is seating correctly and holding it's torque.

Yea. That morning I was zeroing at the range and I finally quit because I was "chasing zero", now I realize that it may have been messing up then too.

I'll get it fixed. But as of right now, I am 100% confident the scope is NOT moving inside the mount, I scribed it, and it's been steady as she goes over 50 rounds but I I've watched impact noticeably change. I'm going to investigate whether or not it's possible that the mount is moving on the rail a bit.

Doc. Holiday
09-03-13, 13:32
Yea. That morning I was zeroing at the range and I finally quit because I was "chasing zero", now I realize that it may have been messing up then too.

I'll get it fixed. But as of right now, I am 100% confident the scope is NOT moving inside the mount, I scribed it, and it's been steady as she goes over 50 rounds but I I've watched impact noticeably change. I'm going to investigate whether or not it's possible that the mount is moving on the rail a bit.

Another thought, could it be you canting your scope? :confused:

Noodles
09-03-13, 13:37
Another thought, could it be you canting your scope? :confused:

Nope, triple checked the level each shot. Two shooters. Took our time with it. The target ended up also being visually level with the reticle while level, so even without a level in this case it would be been apparent. I gave a little consideration to wind coming up from the valley below, but it was dead still everywhere, 20" would have been an 8mph wind stright up from the bullet, we would have noticed that too.

I wouldn't give it a second thought if this gear hadn't already given me the same issues.

wild_wild_wes
09-03-13, 14:33
It's a good scope no doubt. Don't let my issues detract from your purchase, even if I got a bad one, not likely you would have as well.

Well it has! I can't afford to spend money on junk.

Noodles
09-03-13, 14:58
Well it has! I can't afford to spend money on junk.

Well, at least sit back and wait to see if my issues are scope or mount related. Trust me, I'm pissed, but I still think the scope is good even if my particular unit might not be. Vortex is telling me they checked it out and it is. But, we'll see.

Doc. Holiday
09-03-13, 17:44
Dang Noodles, I'm trying to help poke holes in this and you are already on the ball with it! ;) Have you tried putting that scope on someone elses gun/mounts and see what is happening?

ra2bach
09-03-13, 19:10

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperpst2-10x32

Noodles
09-03-13, 19:18
Dang Noodles, I'm trying to help poke holes in this and you are already on the ball with it! ;) Have you tried putting that scope on someone elses gun/mounts and see what is happening?

No, but I guess I could have. I'm sure I could get it on my 12.5" or another 16" somewhere. That is a thought.

But I think I'm going to take Vortex's advice and get it in some traditional 30mm rings. I'll know what do depending on if I do or do not get the same issue.

BrigandTwoFour
09-03-13, 20:25

Missed this earlier, sorry.

I've had it on order with Scott at Liberty Optics. I know I probably could have gotten it from someone else, but I like doing business with Scott (call it customer loyalty and such), and he offered me a pretty sweet deal on it. He did get another shipment in while I was on the backorder list, but I was #15 and he only got 14 in. He is expecting a shipment this week-ish, but I'm TDY to Alabama anyway and am in no hurry.

Noodles, I'll be running the same mount on mine. How tight are you clamping the latches down? Did you use thread locker on the rings?

evoutfitters
09-04-13, 08:54
How tight are you clamping the latches down? Did you use thread locker on the rings?

These are good questions. LaRue uses a similar split-ring design and requires a specific sequence to tighten the ring screws, as well as a torque spec that is higher than the 15 in/lb that you normally see for standard scope rings.

I'm not saying you did this at all OP, but I've seen LaRue mounts with the rings tightened to achieve equal spacing at the top and bottom, vs the correct method of tightening the bottom screws first, then the top screws to spec torque.

wild_wild_wes
09-04-13, 14:50
Where can one find the torque/screw sequence specs for the ADM mount?

RHINOWSO
09-04-13, 16:27
That sucks to hear about your issues.

I have multiple ADM mounts and they have all worked flawlessly, but you need the QDs locked down REALLY tight to the rail.

I'll have to look for the instructions for the torque value / sequence.

I'm considering this scope but am not sure yet.

RHINOWSO
09-04-13, 16:31
Just checked, it says 20-25 in/lbs of torque, but didn't specify a sequence.

I did a X-pattern, IIRC

Noodles
09-04-13, 17:32
That sucks to hear about your issues.
I have multiple ADM mounts and they have all worked flawlessly, but you need the QDs locked down REALLY tight to the rail.
I'll have to look for the instructions for the torque value / sequence.
I'm considering this scope but am not sure yet.

You know, I considered the tightness at which the levers are set to the rail. I tried forcing it into moving with no luck, they aren't superhuman tight, but they aren't loose either. Still, I gave this more consideration for return to zero issues rather than hitting, hitting, hitting, all of a sudden 20" high at 500y for the next shots among two shooters.

The scope is awesome, my issues aside. Best value out there imo.

I'm going to install this scope in a riser and traditional rings see what happens. Just sent an email to my gunsmith to check on that. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get out there and get it verified. I'll also have to prone out this time, sitting was working fine but it's too harder to be absolutely certain I broke center or not.

Agnostic
09-04-13, 21:02
You know, I considered the tightness at which the levers are set to the rail. I tried forcing it into moving with no luck, they aren't superhuman tight, but they aren't loose either. Still, I gave this more consideration for return to zero issues rather than hitting, hitting, hitting, all of a sudden 20" high at 500y for the next shots among two shooters.

The scope is awesome, my issues aside. Best value out there imo.

I'm going to install this scope in a riser and traditional rings see what happens. Just sent an email to my gunsmith to check on that. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get out there and get it verified. I'll also have to prone out this time, sitting was working fine but it's too harder to be absolutely certain I broke center or not.

When I got my scope installed on my carbine using the ADM recon mount, I put it on thinking it was tight enough. When zeroing I saw some vertical stringing at 100 yards (~4"). When I got home that day I moved the quick release bolts over one more position to tighten them up, and reinstalled the scope. Since them I have had no issues.

chadb
09-05-13, 10:47
Nice build. How do you like the Mega lower? I've heard both good and bad about them.

Noodles
09-05-13, 12:06
When I got my scope installed on my carbine using the ADM recon mount, I put it on thinking it was tight enough. When zeroing I saw some vertical stringing at 100 yards (~4"). When I got home that day I moved the quick release bolts over one more position to tighten them up, and reinstalled the scope. Since them I have had no issues.

Hmmm...... 4" at 100" would be similar to the 20" at 500. I wonder.... Thing is when I was in Yakima it was 15-20" high and 10" to the right, always. Same here, it's not just stringing, it's every shot until it decides to shift again. That gives me some ideas though.

Noodles
09-05-13, 12:10
Nice build. How do you like the Mega lower? I've heard both good and bad about them.

There is NOTHING wrong with the Mega billets. Nada.

They have a few nice features like the bolt catch uses a threaded pin. The overall quality and fit is absolutely perfect. I have the lower with the ambi feature which honestly, I wouldn't seek out. I've almost never used it and it's only release, not catch, so of limited use for me. I'm not going to shoot this gun left handed much.

I wouldn't pay a crazy premium for them, and in fact if the Noveske FFL Gen2 was the same price, I'd chose that. But there is nothing wrong at all with the Mega stuff.

Fwiw, thier uppers are pre-drilled for the Noveske NSR anti-rotation pins if that possibly applies to you.

Agnostic
09-05-13, 23:03
Hmmm...... 4" at 100" would be similar to the 20" at 500. I wonder.... Thing is when I was in Yakima it was 15-20" high and 10" to the right, always. Same here, it's not just stringing, it's every shot until it decides to shift again. That gives me some ideas though.

Yea, it might not be the cause of your issues, but I thought it was worth throwing out there. I was reading the recent posts in this thread and made the connection between my POI shifting and yours (4:100 / 20:500).

When I had trouble I started with a couple of rounds on top of each other and then saw a little bit of shift upwards for each shot. By the time I would get 7-10 rounds on paper, the shift was ~4". No horizontal POI shifting at all, so all of the groups were vertical lines.

Not ever having used a quick release, I was worried I would use too much torque to attach the mount to the rail.

I hope you figure it out soon!

Noodles
09-10-13, 10:59
Update...

Ok, so I took the ADM mount off and replaced it with some a really hokey setup. I have 30mm vortex rings and YHM spacers. It looks sooo bad but... Took it out this Sunday, set my target up a little differently, it held steady the entire time.

I need to note that the next time I select a target spot, I need to pay more attention to wether or not I can see the misses.

Other than that, sat behind a log, 500y no issues. Even got a new shooter to get a hit and it was pretty windy over the valley.

So...... As of right now, I have no reason to believe the scope is messed up since it was returned to me for reticle repair back in July. That ADM mount I am uncertain of. The QDs were tight be could be tighter. The rings have no gap between them like they should, but I scribed the scope and ring and can more or less verify they were not moving inside the rings.

Sent the mount back to ADM.

As far as the gun goes, pretty thrilled with the Mega receivers, the Proof Research barrel is excellent, the SSA-E trigger was the right choice for me. The Atlas bipod I have pretty much NEEDS spikes, I'm finding those rubber feet just slip too damn much.

When I get a new mount, this setup is ready for antelope.

Doc. Holiday
09-10-13, 11:34
Sweet stuff Noodles! What equipment are you using to call your wind? Kestrel?

Noodles
09-10-13, 12:13
Sweet stuff Noodles! What equipment are you using to call your wind? Kestrel?

I didn't have a kestrel with me. So I used the very limited mirage we could see, the brush/sway from shooter to target, and poorly calibrated skin. For the most part the majority of the wind was at our shooting position so it was easy enough to figure when I would pay attention to it.

For about 15 rounds or so I was just testing tracking on a dust rock above the target. It was easy to see splash there. I'd dial 2 mils to the left then hold 2 mils to the right, etc.

Oh, and for some reason I grabbed boxes of 77gr even though my cards were for 69gr. So that tossed me off a little too. I didn't want to shoot up my 69gr stuff as I prefer it in that gun a bit. Then got out, dialed to 500y and it took me a second to figure out wrong ammo for that dope! Lesson learned.

RHINOWSO
09-25-13, 15:51
Let us know what ADM says about the mount.

Noodles
09-25-13, 17:54
Let us know what ADM says about the mount.

Um... Yea, they got back to me. I pretty bad about keeping up to date on things like that. ADM got the mount in, the mount that Vortex told me was the issue, the mount that once I switched out for normal rings the scope worked perfectly - and told me nothing was wrong with it. They said they put their precision formed bar in it and it was to spec, they said the QD portion was fine, done.

They did tell me they would replace it with a new part. Which showed up yesturday. However... I've since appropriated a LaRue LT-104 that I'm going to use instead. I have no issue with ADM directly, but I verified the mount was absolutely the issue, and they could not confirm. If I have issues with the LaRue, well, definitely scope, but I very much do not expect that to happen.

Noodles
09-25-13, 18:35
http://i.imgur.com/yezrN5Y.jpg
Next.... With the scope in normal rings I've been doing a LOT better at 500-600y now. Wind this day kicked my ass and I also had a very embarrassing mistake of dialing the wrong way and it took me a more shots than I'd like to admit to figure out what I did wrong as most of the day we were holding for wind. Ha! Lesson learned. I also have a couple sweet spots to push out to 700-800 now. I'd like to go out when my cans come in between now and 4 weeks or so, but I'm afraid we'll have snow on the ground then... and I dislike being cold.

http://i.imgur.com/Ry4MBPF.jpg
The week before, I shot this while waiting for a co-worked to sight his rifle in. 10 shots, 100y, prone/bipod/rear bag, messing around, was surprised I only pulled two. This was 77gr reman, I've since decided to shoot all of my 69gr and keep the 77gr for more important shooting. I think if I had spent more than 60 seconds on this I could have put them all in the same group but it would be a larger hole I'm sure. I hadn't shot 10 shot groups with this gun because I find the practice less fun than shooting at distance, but apparently the gun can do it just fine ;)

RHINOWSO
09-25-13, 19:41
Um... Yea, they got back to me. I pretty bad about keeping up to date on things like that. ADM got the mount in, the mount that Vortex told me was the issue, the mount that once I switched out for normal rings the scope worked perfectly - and told me nothing was wrong with it. They said they put their precision formed bar in it and it was to spec, they said the QD portion was fine, done.

They did tell me they would replace it with a new part. Which showed up yesturday. However... I've since appropriated a LaRue LT-104 that I'm going to use instead. I have no issue with ADM directly, but I verified the mount was absolutely the issue, and they could not confirm. If I have issues with the LaRue, well, definitely scope, but I very much do not expect that to happen.
Thanks for the update, these kind of issues drive me crazy as well (when you can't figure out what is wrong between the multitude of components, etc).

As I'm considering a PST 2.5-10x32 like yours, I'm interested to hear that it wasn't the issue - I also use lots of ADM mounts as well, with no issues thus far - I was almost hoping they'd have found something out of spec to confirm the issue.

Noodles
09-25-13, 20:20
Thanks for the update, these kind of issues drive me crazy as well (when you can't figure out what is wrong between the multitude of components, etc).

As I'm considering a PST 2.5-10x32 like yours, I'm interested to hear that it wasn't the issue - I also use lots of ADM mounts as well, with no issues thus far - I was almost hoping they'd have found something out of spec to confirm the issue.

You and me both! I can pretty highly recommend that scope. The only thing I'm not crazy about is that the windage rolls over at 2.5mils, so at 2.5, there is no indication where you were, you need to know you're at the "3" mark on the side, and that sucks because it's a very fine line for full rotation so the 3 looks very close to the 2 and the 4. Takes a second to figure out where you are.

The last premier I used had an L and R turn marks so you could never get mixed up. Nice feature. Still, you'll likely never have to turn 2.5mils for wind less you're shooting 22 or 300blk or something like that.

Doc. Holiday
09-26-13, 09:01
Great update! Great shooting! Great groups! I'm so jealous! I'm still saving up for my new vortex scope as well. I had to sell my old scope for several reasons so I am scopeless for the time being. Keep sending us pics! Are you using handloads or factory?

Noodles
09-26-13, 11:46
Great update! Great shooting! Great groups! I'm so jealous! I'm still saving up for my new vortex scope as well. I had to sell my old scope for several reasons so I am scopeless for the time being. Keep sending us pics! Are you using handloads or factory?

I was really just messing around, if I tried, I'm sure they would be all over the place vs two fliers. Again, I think shooting groups is pretty pointless if you've done it enough to know you 'could' do it.

Um, I've only shot HSM 69gr SMK and 77gr SMK reman through this gun. It's nice reman I guess, but I'm certain it's not comparable to any blackhills factory, or low run out match ammo. It's cheap enough though, and seem to shoot pretty well.

I really need a spotting scope and my silencers. Using 10x binocs is not cutting it for 550+. Have my eye on Vortex's new 11-33x Razor HD, but I know full well xmas is coming up so I think binocs will have to cut it for the rest of 2013.

Alpine2k3
09-27-13, 00:42
Nice rifle, makes me want to build one of my own. :)

Doc. Holiday
09-27-13, 08:42
Ok, I was curious if your rifle was meant for hand loads only or if you shot factory.

Noodles
09-27-13, 12:06
Ok, I was curious if your rifle was meant for hand loads only or if you shot factory.

If I can't buy ammo at walmart and get 1MOA I'm not interested ;) That's actually just general consensus for all my firearms. It's the reason I'm looking at .260 and 300wm and not 6.5 credmore and 300wsm, etc.

jasonprox700
09-27-13, 12:25
I originally started with ADM but was not impressed with their return to zero compared to the LaRue's. I only use LRT and Bobro now. My high magnification scope (soon to be Nightforce) is mounted in the Bobro so that I can move it to other guns for load development and precision shooting.

Doc. Holiday
09-27-13, 12:26
Haha, yea. I understand! I do my best to buy weapons that are common calibers as well and I shy away from the "odd duck" calibers.

jasonprox700
09-27-13, 12:30
Nice gun by the way!

I was going to spend the money on a pricey 18" SPR barrel, but decided to just go with the 16" and sell my current set-up and spend the money saved on "higher end" optics. I figured I'd be better off in the long run having a "do-all" gun rather than several to fill particular roles when the 16" will do pretty much everything a 5.56 is capable of.

Doc. Holiday
09-27-13, 12:42
Not the OP, but absolutely! Different calibers and barrel lengths are all just different tools is all. There is no huge difference when it comes to the 16" vs the 18; slight fps increase but not enough to be pissed about. I am a huge believer in the RECCE build for 5.56s.

Noodles
09-27-13, 13:23
Nice gun by the way!

I was going to spend the money on a pricey 18" SPR barrel, but decided to just go with the 16" and sell my current set-up and spend the money saved on "higher end" optics. I figured I'd be better off in the long run having a "do-all" gun rather than several to fill particular roles when the 16" will do pretty much everything a 5.56 is capable of.

I can recommend this. I see almost no need for an 18". 16" is awesome at range (only 50-75fps from 18"), can be reconfigured into a carbine quickly, and is still a short length. If I want anymore length, I'm going to go 20". And while considering 20" if I needed more power for hunting, I'll go 6.5G 20".

jasonprox700
09-27-13, 13:43
+1

That's why I also have an AR in .243 WSSM for my "long range" coyote needs and my .308 for big game and a range gun when the winds mess with 5.56. Then there's the .22 upper for blasting, mag dumps, and close in, carbine style training ( the guns pretty much paid for its self!)

Doc. Holiday
09-27-13, 14:20
Noodles, did you ever get your Mega lower?

Noodles
09-30-13, 15:26
Noodles, did you ever get your Mega lower?

Thought I replied to this already. Yea I got my lowers in. Made a couple bucks on them before I went to Central America, coming down off the panic.

The Mega is great and I have no issues at all. But if you're looking at the ambi version, it doesn't make a big deal. I'd buy a non-ambi one in a second, it's just not that useful of a feature to me.

Doc. Holiday
09-30-13, 15:32
Sorry, you may have answered it already. I just didn't feel like sorting through 5 pages of posts.

Noodles
09-30-13, 15:38
Sorry, you may have answered it already. I just didn't feel like sorting through 5 pages of posts.

No, I meant like I wrote it Saturday. Must have forgot to hit send ;)

Image Group
11-03-13, 15:17
Very sharp looking rifle there. :D

Terribleone1
12-19-13, 23:12
wow very nice build man......i love it :)

Hapainwa
12-25-13, 17:00
Thanks for the blow-by-blow run down. I've recently finished a 6.8 upper, and fitted it with a Vortex PST 1-4, but find it's not enough to take advantage of the 6.8. So, I'm looking at the same 2.5-10, glad to hear it wasn't the scope. My upper build was similar to yours, in that I had several set backs, and "sending stuff back." Good to see it all worked out, and I'm hoping to hit the MD class in Yak.

Doc. Holiday
12-27-13, 14:39
Did you get your can for it yet? How's it working with it? Pics vids!!!

babypanther
12-29-13, 11:12
I can't decide what I'm more jealous of, the build or the places you find to shoot it at!

Doc. Holiday
12-30-13, 09:35
I can't decide what I'm more jealous of, the build or the places you find to shoot it at!

I never realized who hard it is for some people to find a place where they can shoot at until I started traveling out of state for work then realized oh....there really is no place for some folks to really shoot past 200 yards.

ptmccain
12-30-13, 09:38
Nice rig!