PDA

View Full Version : New Steyr AUG!

ShipWreck
05-23-13, 19:58
Got this in last Friday. Sold my 2nd PS90 to fund it...

My optic came in today... Just waiting on my sling....

Almost went with a Tavor, but I was able to shoot one a couple weeks ago. I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

I previously had an MSAR AUG - now, I have the real deal... A Steyr AUG!!!

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Aug1000_zps75a50abe.jpg~original

fallenromeo
05-24-13, 12:46
Very nice. Im so jealous. I really want one, but they aren't CA compliant yet...

calviroman
05-24-13, 13:09
If you don't mind me asking, where and how much did you get it? I also used to have an MSAR E4 but was never super happy with the overall quality...though I enjoyed the platform.

Also, how is the supply/markey for the AUG magazines? What are the 42 roundrs going for, $25?

Thanks

ShipWreck
05-24-13, 16:14
If you don't mind me asking, where and how much did you get it? I also used to have an MSAR E4 but was never super happy with the overall quality...though I enjoyed the platform.

Also, how is the supply/markey for the AUG magazines? What are the 42 roundrs going for, $25?

Thanks

30 rounders are $40 (more at other places - but that's the cheapest I have seen). 42 rounders are $45 and up.

I ordered mine of Guns America. Did a "Buy it Now" deal. I looked at Gunbroker and Guns America - bought one at the best deal. I paid $2100, but it came with 5 new mags... Three 30 rounders and two 42 rounders. So, the price was fair with the mags.

JoshNC
05-24-13, 20:07
30 rounders are $40 (more at other places - but that's the cheapest I have seen). 42 rounders are $45 and up.

I ordered mine of Guns America. Did a "Buy it Now" deal. I looked at Gunbroker and Guns America - bought one at the best deal. I paid $2100, but it came with 5 new mags... Three 30 rounders and two 42 rounders. So, the price was fair with the mags.

CDNN has 30 round mags for $29 right now.

ShipWreck
05-24-13, 20:47
CDNN has 30 round mags for $29 right now.

Yes, I got the email a few hours ago. I just plaed an order about 90 min ago :D

But thanks for the info :)

kdcgrohl
05-25-13, 10:59
Just out of curiosity, who made the receiver?

ShipWreck
05-25-13, 13:27
Just out of curiosity, who made the receiver?

New ones are made for Steyr by Vltor.

kdcgrohl
05-26-13, 11:00
New ones are made for Steyr by Vltor.

Nice. For some reason I was thinking some were made by Sabre. I would really like to handle one of these new AUGs.

JoshNC
05-26-13, 11:58
Nice. For some reason I was thinking some were made by Sabre. I would really like to handle one of these new AUGs.

The A3 was made by Sabre. Once they went belly up, Steyr contracted Vltor to do the receivers and assembly, FN to do the barrels.

ShipWreck
05-26-13, 14:40
Yes, they had to find somewhere else. It took a little while to work out someone new to make the parts for them..

ShipWreck
06-01-13, 13:09
I just got back from sighting my gun in. I had laser bore-sighted it at home, so I started just a few inches off from the center at 50 yards.

I had three problems in the first 100 rounds. I shot 200 rounds total...

In those three instances, the next round would feed before the ejected one cleared. Not a big deal to clear. When this happened to me with the MSAR years back, I had to take the receiver out a opulent times because it jammed so bad. Not with the Steyr. So, that was nice. Easy to clear

My friend who was with me is into AR15s s a lot.. He said that since it was a brand new gun on the first trip, he personally wouldn't worry about it.

Strangely enough, it was always with WWB 5.56 FMJ ammo. When I shot Independence 5.56 and the .223 Vmax... NO problems. Also, the bolt wouldn't hold open consistently after the last round of WWB. Yet, it ALWAYS did so with Independence 5.56. Seems the gun prefers the Independence.

In am not well versed in rifles, but I do know that pistol ammo in WWB isn't always the best in terms of quality...

I think I will buy strictly Independence for target practice in the future. It's cheaper too.

Anyway, overall... Great time. It would have been nice to have a 100% day reliability, but I am not really worried about it yet.

halmbarte
06-05-13, 06:56
I just got back from sighting my gun in. I had laser bore-sighted it at home, so I started just a few inches off from the center at 50 yards.

I had three problems in the first 100 rounds. I shot 200 rounds total...

In those three instances, the next round would feed before the ejected one cleared. Not a big deal to clear. When this happened to me with the MSAR years back, I had to take the receiver out a opulent times because it jammed so bad. Not with the Steyr. So, that was nice. Easy to clear

My friend who was with me is into AR15s s a lot.. He said that since it was a brand new gun on the first trip, he personally wouldn't worry about it.

Strangely enough, it was always with WWB 5.56 FMJ ammo. When I shot Independence 5.56 and the .223 Vmax... NO problems. Also, the bolt wouldn't hold open consistently after the last round of WWB. Yet, it ALWAYS did so with Independence 5.56. Seems the gun prefers the Independence.

In am not well versed in rifles, but I do know that pistol ammo in WWB isn't always the best in terms of quality...

I think I will buy strictly Independence for target practice in the future. It's cheaper too.

Anyway, overall... Great time. It would have been nice to have a 100% day reliability, but I am not really worried about it yet.

It would be interesting to turn the gas to 'adverse' next time you shoot the Winchester ammo.

If that solves the problem you know the port pressure on the Winnie is too low.

H

ShipWreck
06-05-13, 11:00
I will likely try that. I have 60 rounds of the Winchester left. I wasn't planning on buying anymore for a while - see if that solved it.

Magic_Salad0892
06-06-13, 00:38
For some reason I saw the thread title and thought it had something to do with the member SteyrAUG. Lol.

ShipWreck
06-06-13, 06:25
For some reason I saw the thread title and thought it had something to do with the member SteyrAUG. Lol.

And he is "New" :D

Neville
06-06-13, 17:25
A tip is to keep the bolt in the open position for some weeks. Steyr is known for using strong bolt locker springs (as Hirtenberger 5.56 is HOT ammo) and this settles them for use with commercial ammo.

ShipWreck
06-06-13, 21:31
A tip is to keep the bolt in the open position for some weeks. Steyr is known for using strong bolt locker springs (as Hirtenberger 5.56 is HOT ammo) and this settles them for use with commercial ammo.

Ok, thanks. May give that a try.

sundance435
06-12-13, 19:25
These are listed as chambered for .223. Is that the case, or are they 5.56 guns?

Thanks

Blstr88
06-12-13, 22:01
They're 5.56 guns

B215R
06-13-13, 21:49
Good looking gun.

Bronco
06-15-13, 00:08
Very nice. Im so jealous. I really want one, but they aren't CA compliant yet...

Let's hope that your use of the word "yet" proves to be appropriate. There's some awful scary legislation being kicked around in the Statehouse in Sacramento right now. :help:

Ed L.
06-15-13, 01:28
These are listed as chambered for .223. Is that the case, or are they 5.56 guns?

Imported AUGs always had .223 listed on the gun. They are indeed 5.56mm, as I have fired lots of 5.56mm in both pre-ban and new made in the US versions.

ShipWreck
06-15-13, 07:50
Imported AUGs always had .223 listed on the gun. They are indeed 5.56mm, as I have fired lots of 5.56mm in both pre-ban and new made in the US versions.

Sho nuff.

The newest version with the barrels made by FN actually have 5.56 stamped onto the barrel now (not .223)