PDA

View Full Version : Slide to frame fit question.

1GIG
05-24-13, 07:20
I am recently learning the 1911 platform and I need a lesson. I recently received a Colt 70 Series Wiley Clapp. Slide to frame fit is a bit loose and, for lack of better terms, the slide hangs over the back of the frame just a bit. I have not fired it yet. Is the overhang something that will lead to future troubles and needs to be addressed with Colt or should I just start shooting/running the gun?

http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16792&stc=1&d=1369397914

http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16791&stc=1&d=1369397914

Littlelebowski
05-24-13, 07:32
It's fine.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-24-13, 08:13
It's fine.

What he said, also its nice when a slide and frame fit together tight, but what you should be looking at, is does it shoot well and how is the barrel lock up? With the gun unloaded and in battery press down on the top of the barrel with your thumb, there should be little to know movement.

Also colt rattle that's just what they do.

RCI1911
05-24-13, 08:30
The overhang won't affect the guns reliability; its just less then stellar fitting from the factory. On a production gun like this with no hand fitting, a looser slide to frame fit is more desirable IMO. If you've got a hand fit gun you can get away with tighter tolerances. Barrel lock-up is much more important to accuracy then slide to frame fit which actually has little to do with accuracy. Shoot it (a lot!) and see how she runs. Make changes as necessary.

1GIG
05-24-13, 08:59
Thanks a lot for the replies. That is good news and was what I was hoping for. I will check the barrel lock up this evening when off of work and I am planning to get some rounds through it this weekend.
I appreciate your time and reply.

Redstate
05-24-13, 09:42
I have a Springfield Mil Spec that has about the same amount of slide overhang but is pretty tight in the frame to slide fit. I had my gunsmith check it out (for future customization potential), and he stated that the overhang was not an issue as long as the lock-up and disconnect was fine, which it was on my Mil Spec. He appeared impressed with the overall quality of my Mil Spec.
Looking forward to your range report.

mike240
05-24-13, 17:41
All said is true for functionality. But for 1500 the brand name should not automatically get a pass on it. I would contact Colt.

Kokopelli
05-24-13, 17:53
The overhang mostly just hurts your eyes and the rattle the ears.. Still.. Like women, the next one is just around the corner.. Ron

El Pistolero
05-24-13, 19:18
All said is true for functionality. But for 1500 the brand name should not automatically get a pass on it. I would contact Colt.

I'm with mike240 on this one. The overhang is just a cosmetic issue but it should not be there at all IMO. I would contact Colt about sending it back to have it re-fitted. I would expect nothing less on a Colt, especially a more upscale model such as the Wiley Clapp. My XSE Commander is properly fitted as they all should be:

Mine does rattle when I shake it. That I don't care about.
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16803&stc=1&d=1369441006

og556
05-24-13, 21:06
My rail gun is pretty loose. I think that is normal for Colt 1911's.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-24-13, 23:24
Now that u have the facts, i must point out that your looking at the "overhang" in the wrong light. What you all see is a slide that looks to long, i see a short frame. Regardless colt gave you more than your moneys worth, by giving you that extra material, for free. Now you have the opportunity to blend the rear of the slide and add serrations, with room for mistakes.

m1a_scoutguy
05-25-13, 10:04
Now that u have the facts, i must point out that your looking at the "overhang" in the wrong light. What you all see is a slide that looks to long, i see a short frame. Regardless colt gave you more than your moneys worth, by giving you that extra material, for free. Now you have the opportunity to blend the rear of the slide and add serrations, with room for mistakes.

Hmmmm,,now that's a good way to look at it !!! I will have to go check my 3 and see what I have !!! I know my Colt Combat Elite shoots circles around my Springer Loaded,,,but I will have to check the BBL Lock-up & compare ! I always figured it was just the Colt BBL versus the Springer BBL. :confused:

CAVDOC
05-25-13, 21:27
With 1911 fitting the critical is the barrel to slide and bushing with the slide to frame less critical for accuracy. The proof is in the shooting

crazymoose
05-27-13, 22:25
My rail gun is pretty loose. I think that is normal for Colt 1911's.

This. Colt uses excellent components, but only their custom shop guns seem to consistently be given aesthetic attention and a ton of hand fitting.

The 1911 market has become so obsessed with RCH tolerances that people forget that a little rattle in a defensive pistol is not an issue, functionally speaking, and can even be desirable. When it comes to 1911's, I tend to be skeptical until proven otherwise of the reliability of super-tight guns that cost less than about $2,500, give or take.

SigSlave
05-28-13, 11:22
I'm with mike240 on this one. The overhang is just a cosmetic issue but it should not be there at all IMO. I would contact Colt about sending it back to have it re-fitted. I would expect nothing less on a Colt, especially a more upscale model such as the Wiley Clapp. My XSE Commander is properly fitted as they all should be:

Mine does rattle when I shake it. That I don't care about.
https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=16803&stc=1&d=1369441006

Slide overhang means nothing if the barrel is fit right. On a production gun, the only way to get rid of it is to hand fit the lower lugs or blend the slide and frame and refinish. Both of these things can not be done on a production gun and keep the costs down. The biggest problem here is the Internet has exposed us all to top shelf gunsmiths who spend days making a gun look perfect. Now all of you think a production Colt should look and fit like a full custom build.

Your expectations are too high.

El Pistolero
05-29-13, 03:26
Slide overhang means nothing if the barrel is fit right. On a production gun, the only way to get rid of it is to hand fit the lower lugs or blend the slide and frame and refinish. Both of these things can not be done on a production gun and keep the costs down. The biggest problem here is the Internet has exposed us all to top shelf gunsmiths who spend days making a gun look perfect. Now all of you think a production Colt should look and fit like a full custom build.

Your expectations are too high.

My expectations have been met and that's all that matters.

SigSlave
05-29-13, 05:01
My expectations have been met and that's all that matters.

My appologies, I didn't mean to single you out in regards to expectations. I meant 1911 owners in general.

wetidlerjr
05-29-13, 07:16
The overhang wouldn't bother me but if you can't live with it, I wouldn't hesitate to have Colt fix it. After all, for the price you pay you should get it right.

1GIG
05-29-13, 10:02
Thanks guys for all of the responses.
I just got off the phone with Colt and they sounded surprised at the issue. They are sending me a return shipping label and said they would get the issue looked at and fixed. Very pleasant and easy experience. Great CS. I will update when I get it back.

El Pistolero
05-29-13, 13:44
Thanks guys for all of the responses.
I just got off the phone with Colt and they sounded surprised at the issue. They are sending me a return shipping label and said they would get the issue looked at and fixed. Very pleasant and easy experience. Great CS. I will update when I get it back.

Good to see Colt CS taking care of you. Be sure to post pics once you get the gun back to see how they did.

SigSlave, no offense taken. I don't expect a mid-priced gun like a Colt to be fitted like a Wilson or Nighthawk but I don't expect it to be fitted like a Llama either.