PDA

View Full Version : Cryoing Barrels and bolts too?

silverphoenix
05-24-13, 16:33
I've heard that cryogenically treating your barrel is supposed to increase accuracy and the expected life of the barrel (not sure of melonited CMV or Chrome lined CMV, mostly heard this of stainless);I've also heard that some companies like Sprinco cryogenically treat their springs, which dramatically increases their cycling-life.

My question is: Has anyone ever tried to cryogenically treat an AR15 bolt? Would it help or hurt at all? Maybe this is something that should be tested--it seems like scientific tests on the subject are few and I don't want to do something without proof that it's not "snake oil"

ride57
05-24-13, 18:01
I have had a couple rifle barrels treated. I have noticed that before (rem 700 .308) after ~ 20 rounds, that it took 2 or 3 applications of Sweets 762 (following the directions) to get all the copper fouling out. After, there was barely any trace of copper fouling so I stopped using the Sweets. AFAIC, if nothing else, it makes it easier to clean. You can't cryo springs though, they told me to take all springs out before cryo treating. They say it reduces stress, so I think it would be ok for a bolt.

here is what 300 below says about it: http://www.300below.com/firearms-cryo-barrel/

I have read about people claiming accuracy improved, I didn't notice any difference. ( I'm not a high master/benchrest/palma shooter either)

A machinist told me that it makes the metal easier to machine. I'm not a machinist so I'm taking his word for it.

Last time I was at the cryo place I saw they were doing aluminum baseball bats. Besides rifle barrels, they said they do lots of engine parts, up to and including blocks, sports equipment.

Oh , it does work on razor blades. :D