PDA

View Full Version : Parts sourcing on new build

COinCO1818
05-24-13, 18:05
Hi, I am planning on building a fixed carry handle carbine using quality parts. I purchased a S&W M16 BCG from G&R Tactical, if it is still in stock ( i did get order confirmation). I am planning on purchasing a 14.5 BCM barrel, either light weight or M-4.

Was wondering where I could find a A-2 upper reciever preferably with M-4 cuts? Also the barrel i plan on buying is stripped and was wondering what else I would need to complete the assembly of the upper, where might I find a standard A-2 front sight base of the best quality?

I would appreciate you guys helping me out with this. I have never built an upper myself, only bought complete uppers before. I know the people on this site appreciate good quality parts and know where to find them.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, all help will be greatly appreciated.

Col_Crocs
05-24-13, 19:35
BCM has FSBs i think.
As for your upper, it's not what you asked but i would try to locate an A1E1/C7 upper instead. Someone posted a build with one that had m4 feed ramps, a while back, IINM

SCatalyst
05-24-13, 19:57
Also the barrel i plan on buying is stripped and was wondering what else I would need to complete the assembly of the upper, where might I find a standard A-2 front sight base of the best quality?

Get a barrel with the FSB on already.

Most A2 FSB are installed/secured to a barrel with tapered pins. If you get the barrel separate, (most of the time) they don't have the tapered cuts in the barrel to take an A2 FSB gas block. (If you find a mid-barrel with the A2 FSB cuts in them already, please let me know I'll buy it.)

Meaning you'd have to throw more money to a smith or someone to have the barrel reamed to accommodate the tapered pins to secure the FSB.

Or you can have each side of the FSB tapped to take 4 set screws to secure the FSB to the barrel. But I don't know how rough you plan on being with your AR, cause if you use that technique, a good strike/drop on the FSB could cause it to rotate enough for the gas ports to not match up properly.

Just my thought.

COinCO1818
05-24-13, 19:59
The only A1 upper I have seen that comes with M-4 ramps was on the R-Guns site. I dont know if they are in stock or if they are quality uppers. I would not mind either A1 or A2 as I am going for a 723 ish build.

SCatalyst, The barrels that have the front site post on them look to come with a f-marked post which is taller than a standard a2 would there be a problem using an f-marked front post with a fixed carry handle upper?

SCatalyst
05-24-13, 20:39
...would there be a problem using an f-marked front post with a fixed carry handle upper?

I haven't seen an F marked FSB with a permanent carry upper. The problem would be that your sight picture would be inappropriate.

If you're going with a permanent carry upper, it would probably be best to get a standard FSB.

I have nothing but flattops so I have F marked for the ones that have a FSB.

COinCO1818
05-24-13, 22:04
Do you know who sells an M4 profile barrel with a standard front sight post already installed?

SCatalyst
05-24-13, 22:23
No, the standard sight and permanent carry handle is kinda dated IMO. Some have them, but as safe queens and collectors, but they're out there if you really look for it.

There's seriously a lot of other receivers out there to grab and build from. You could always get a detachable carry handle. Same thing really, sight picture and all, and it offers you more versatility down the line if you choose.

COinCO1818
05-24-13, 22:45
well i was kinda thinking about trying to build a retro type A2 rifle as I already have a BCM flattop m4 with perm a2x. The more I look around on-line I am just not seeing the parts I would need to make a 723 clone. Being a noob to building a upper I dont know of many sources for individual parts.

Col_Crocs
05-24-13, 23:27
Get a barrel with the FSB on already.

Most A2 FSB are installed/secured to a barrel with tapered pins. If you get the barrel separate, (most of the time) they don't have the tapered cuts in the barrel to take an A2 FSB gas block. (If you find a mid-barrel with the A2 FSB cuts in them already, please let me know I'll buy it.)

Meaning you'd have to throw more money to a smith or someone to have the barrel reamed to accommodate the tapered pins to secure the FSB.

Or you can have each side of the FSB tapped to take 4 set screws to secure the FSB to the barrel. But I don't know how rough you plan on being with your AR, cause if you use that technique, a good strike/drop on the FSB could cause it to rotate enough for the gas ports to not match up properly.

Just my thought.
Whaaat?? You can't get a brand new barrel with factory taper pin holes/channels. No such thing unless someone took a factory installed FSB off it... In which case, you cannot just drop in another FSB to pin on. FSBs dont come pre-drilled either. They are drilled, reamed and pinned as an assembly, thus, are not universally interchangable.
Also, if youre going to send out the barrel for work anyway, youre better off just getting the proven taper pins and be done with it. I dont see the point of the 4 cross-set screws.
OP, there was another one a member here pointed me to. I cant recall from whom it was but I'm almost 100% certain it wasn't Rguns. I'll try to do some digging and post it here if i find it.

Col_Crocs
05-24-13, 23:47
I think I've found the site. Fulton Armory. They no longer have it though...

SCatalyst
05-24-13, 23:48
That's why I was telling him if he wants a barrel with a FSP buy a barrel with it on already. He was going to buy everything individually.

I know you can't buy them predrilled, that's why I said if he knows where I can get one (a friend, an AR fanatic with a shit ton of spare parts, wherever) I'll buy it. I've seen smiths work with it man, it's doable.

I bring up the 4 set screws because I've seen it done but I don't agree with it. It was for non action bench shooting who was satisfied with it. Not my choice, but I've seen it.

Col_Crocs
05-25-13, 00:19
Ive seen it done myself... Still doesnt make it a good idea, let alone practical. You can much more easily find a virgin stripped barrel and FSB and have them done together.

SCatalyst
05-25-13, 00:37
Agreed...my addiction with ARs and possibilities does need to be curbed some.:D

COinCO1818
05-25-13, 00:50
Okay, so if I were to buy a stripped M-4 profile barrel and a standard A2/ fixed carry handle compatible front sight post+taper pins I could send them to say, ADCO and have it put together? Would the stripped M4 profile barrel that BCM sells work in a non M-4 feed ramped A2 upper?

Thanks for the responses so far, maybe i should have posted in the retro forum, needless to say this will be a custom build;). I really have my heart set on a 723/727 Clone.

Col_Crocs
05-25-13, 01:01
Lol! I'm guilty of drifting off to even wilder ideas, myself.

Yes, you can send it to ADCO to be put together. Im not sure about parts availability on their end so you might want to send everything you need to get it done. Ie. HG cap, barrel nut, delta ring assembly etc...

As for your m4 feed ramps working with an A2 upper, it's not optimal but it will.

COinCO1818
05-25-13, 01:08
I have heard that there are A2 uppers with M4 cuts I would love to find one. I think that the fixed carry handle carbines are simple and handy. After doing some more searching it is hard to find any A2 or A1 uppers, let alone with M4 cuts. does anybody know of any high quality carbine barrels with just rifle feed ramps?