PDA

View Full Version : Colt ARs

MSW
05-24-13, 18:10
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first Colt, however, as I started examining it, I found a "sear block" as we'll as an SP1 bolt carrier. I guess I haven't done enough reading, as I thought Colt uses M16 BCGs....the rifle I'm looking at is from 1994 and very lightly used, but a local shop is waiting on a shipment of Colt 6920s, and if these current production Colts use mil spec parts--I'd likely buy it instead of the used one.

Does the sear block interfer with swapping to a match trigger, like a Geissele? And is there a way to readily remove the set block so I can use standard mil spec parts?

Thank you for the help.

Pappabear
05-24-13, 18:25
You can remove it, I had SAW do mine. Its not really worth it for the gun. Wait for the 6920, or order one from one of the reputable sponsors. Sear block plus half bred BCG= not bueno.

get the 6920.

MSW
05-24-13, 18:30
So the 6920 would NOT have the sear block?

Do you know if the 6920 uses standard mil spec hammer or trigger pins, or are they a proprietary Colt sized pin?

Thank you for your help.

"SAW" is Smith & Wesson? Or a different company?

halfmoonclip
05-24-13, 18:34
Current Colts will not have the sear block nor the oddball size FCG pins.
You'll have to evaluate the older gun on its merits; if it is in really nice shape, and if the price is right, it might be worth considering. But the sear block and oddball pins do complicate things. Geissele makes FCG stuff for the larger pins; I'm doubtful that the sear block causes an issue.
Moon

Pappabear
05-24-13, 18:50
agreed. The sear block will be in the way if you want to use a full auto carrier. it could be a 6920 from the day.

If its $500, may be worth it. Other than that, spend $1,100 and get the real deal.

MSW
05-24-13, 19:13
The fellow selling he older Match Hbar SP1 is asking $1500. It's very lightly used & in good shape.

My local dealer says the 6920 would be $1200-ish.

Sounds like the if I want to be able to use my spare parts on ALL rifles, the 6920 is the ticket.

Thank you all for the help.

Col_Crocs
05-24-13, 19:14
So the 6920 would NOT have the sear block?

Do you know if the 6920 uses standard mil spec hammer or trigger pins, or are they a proprietary Colt sized pin?

Thank you for your help.

"SAW" is Smith & Wesson? Or a different company?

SAW = Specialized Armament... I believe the W stands for Warehouse.

MSW
05-24-13, 19:55
Thank you again.

This all started with my Daniel Defense M4--it reminds me of my Wife's Audi A5--solid, well-made, tight & responsive when compared to my Bushmaster & DPMS, which remind me of my ol' Honda Civic. Serviceable & beats walking--but there's a definite difference.

Maybe I should just get in the queue & get another DDM4.....

justin_247
05-24-13, 20:29
That price for a used Colt SP1 is akin to rape, in my book.

Here's a brand new Colt 6920 MP FDE for $1,200:
http://clydearmory.com/colt-le6920mp-fde.html

Redbeardsong
05-24-13, 21:02
Pass on the SP1 and get a modern Carbine.

Iraqgunz
05-24-13, 21:57
Might I suggest you use the ORANGE SEARCH feature?

halfmoonclip
05-24-13, 22:32
The only thing 'match' about that HBar is a barrel that makes the gun weigh far too much for ordinary use. Snagged one on impulse after the ban sunsetted, and it never felt right. Far too muzzle heavy and heavy period.
Price is far too high as well. Take a pass and get an M4-clone.
If you can find an older SP-1 that is more of an M-16A1, (a 6.5 lb 20" rifle) that's a thing worth having.
Moon

pinzgauer
05-25-13, 03:07
I'm starting to see DD uppers in stock at MSRP or less, might be worth holding out if you want something other than a stock 6920 config.

Guy at the range last week had a new DDV4'ish carbine he just paid $1600 for... Forgot the model, but was quite nice for the money.

I would not pay that for an SP-1

---sent from my PRC-104 using a knee key

NCHornet
05-27-13, 10:12
Price is to high for both rifles, but I will go against the crowd here. I love HBARS, always have, always will, even if they aren't the flavor of the month. I am sure if I still had to haul one around with me every where I went I would choose a different rifle, but for my needs now I just love them. Plus since they aren't the flavor of the month you can some times pick them up for a great price, but not in your case, lol!!!! The 6920 would be a awesome choice, love mine too!!!:D

NeoNeanderthal
05-27-13, 10:48
You dont live in a ban state do you? Why would you get a 1994 colt with oddities over a new one for less money? Your not a collector right?They sell 6920's at walmart for less money btw.

MSW
05-27-13, 10:56
New Hampshire is "Live Free or Die," and no restrictions.

I did try to search--but my iPad has "issues" with certain sites & I can't figure out why--while searching, things close automatically while typing. My IT Dept (the Wife) is trying to figure it out.

Sorry for the redundancy if this is a frequent topic--for what it's worth--thank you again.

NeoNeanderthal
05-27-13, 11:06
I live in nh to! Represent. There is absolutely no way you should pay that for an older colt. The Concord, NH walmart has had new ones almost every-time i've been in there the last month. Give them a call and you might be able to grab one today. no wait

I dunno what local gunstore you go to, but I have only found one that isnt staffed by tards. Umlaut Industries in Hooksett.

ChrisCross
05-27-13, 12:43
Like others have said, unless your a collector why go with the SP1... get a modern Colt.

I have a 6920 and a 6720 and love them both. $1,200 for the 6920 is a little high pre-panic but these days not a bad price.

YMMV

scottryan
05-27-13, 13:20
The fellow selling he older Match Hbar SP1 is asking $1500.

There is no such thing as a "Match HBAR SP1"

It is either a Match HBAR 6601 or 6600

Or an SP1 6000

Or it is third part put together gun with a SP1 lower and a Match HBAR upper.

Hemoglobin
05-27-13, 13:44
My dad has a sp1. It's a cool piece and I won't be getting rid of it when it gets passed down to me... but I'm not likely to shoot it much. I would say get the 6920 also...

To make a car reference... its not really a civic vs audi a5 comparison... its like a 69 mach 1 vs a new 5.0 . . . you can daily drive both, but which one is more likely to fit the bill for what you are going to actually need of a vehicle on a regular basis.

Agreed. unless you are collecting, get the new colt. Nostalgia aside...it's going to do more of what you ask of it.

MSW
05-27-13, 14:41
Neo--My local NH gun shop is in Whitefield. I'm above the lakes region & they mostly have decent prices.

The older Colt was a Match version, 20" I apologize if I got the designation incorrect.

Will have to check the Concord Walmart when I'm next in that part of the world.

Thank you all again--I appreciate the help.

dagored
05-27-13, 14:48
I agree with the majority here. Get the 6920. I picked up one last week at WM for $1090+tax. So far so good. My first carbine.