PDA

View Full Version : M&P AEK review

Texaspoff
05-25-13, 03:28
Well my new AEK kits arrived today. First impressions, this is an extremely well thought out and manufactured part. The poly version is very comfortable with the rounded edges compared to the aluminum version. It also looks as if it was part of the pistol from the factory. IMO this is how they should come.

The kit comes with the trigger, slave pin, and a heavy sear spring. I tried the heavy sear spring and it was a tad too heavy for my tastes. I used the AEK trigger pad, and all other fire control parts are stock. I haven't gauged the pull, but it feels exactly like a stock Glock trigger as far a pull and break weight.

Installation was a breeze, took about 10 minutes total including trigger loop adjustment time. As with most Apex trigger kit installs the loop had to be adjusted slightly to engage the sear correctly, no surprise there, and no problems.

When your finished, what you have is an M&P pistol with a Glock trigger. The pre travel is less than factory, but more than the FSS kit. The over travel is less than factory and a hair more than the FSS. This setup is perfect for a duty or HD weapon. Three other officers, die hard Glock guys tried it out tonight and they are going to be looking into an M&P and this trigger setup, it is that good. IMO this is a must have for any of the new production M&P pistol.

As an added bonus, I tried little experiment with the factory trigger, and the Apex trigger. I raked the trigger guard and trigger with my fingers, hand, and misc clothing material. I was able to induce one ND with the factory trigger and a shirt. I was able to disengage the trigger safety tab on the factory trigger several times. The Apex trigger did not yield the same results. I was unable to induce an ND, and did not one time disengage the trigger safety tab. I am not saying the Apex part will prevent an ND incident, but IMO can reduce the odds. I have tried tons of aftermarket doo dads over the years. Some were ok, others silly at best. This is like night and day on the M&P. Now if you would like a Glock type trigger on your M&P, get the AEK, and enjoy. If you hate glock triggers, stay away from it, cause there is no in between. Personally, I am thrilled, since the hinged trigger was the single biggest grip I had about the M&P. I also think the AEK just make the M&P look better. The hinged trigger has always just looked out of place. The sigma burned that trigger image into my mind, and I have never been able to recover.....

Just remember I am a professional idiot only, and this was my opinion, take it as such.

Guinnessman
05-25-13, 07:23
Thanks for the review. I am going to order some Apex goodies soon for my M&P .45. The trigger on my gun is horrendous! The pull is at least 8 lbs or more. Along with a DCAEK the AEK trigger may just be the ticket.

I am a Glock guy at heart, but I really like the ergonomics of the M&P pistols.

jpmuscle
05-26-13, 01:38
I installed mine this evening. I love my M&P even more now. Had to open up the trigger bar loop a bit to get it right to get the sear to release. Definitely made it more better lol

Pretty close to polymer perfection imo

BUOPtimus Prime
05-27-13, 17:14
I have an AEK on my M&P9L. It feels immensely better than the stock triggers on my other two M&Ps. They need to be upgraded ASAP.