PDA

View Full Version : Almost thought it was 1 April: IL lawmakers approve plan to allow concealed carry

Preferred User
05-25-13, 08:49
This will be interesting to watch.

Illinois lawmakers approve plan to allow concealed carry for gun owners (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/25/illinois-lawmakers-approve-gun-plan-opposed-by-governor/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Internal+-+Politics+-+Text%29)

Mr. Goodtimes
05-25-13, 09:18
From reading a little bit of the law my understanding was that two places guns would not be allowed were city transit busses and trains. I lived in Chicago for a year and everywhere I went was on a train, weather it be the Metra or the L; so that poses two issues, a lot of people use public transport around there, so now law abiding citizens are still being limited in where they can carry because of the type of transportation they choose, not to mention Chicago's various train stops are some shady places, and they get shadier when the sun goes down.

I suspect what they will do is pass the law, as they have to, however they'll fight tooth and nail to make it as difficult as possible to be to carry your gun anywhere.

Mjolnir
05-25-13, 09:25
I agree. This law "allows" the wealthy to carry at their discretion at the expense of the majority of the city's inhabitants.

"One man with courage makes a majority."

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-25-13, 09:40
And watch crime move to public transport.

When will these people learn. They worry about all these nightmare scenarios. People will shoot up day cares, they'll shoot up bars, the blood will run in the streets and.....

it never happens, anywhere, anytime. We have had CCH here in Colorado in bars from day one and I have never heard of an issue.

I agree, CCW but not on public transport is a stupid idea. Live in Chicago, win stupid prizes.

signal4l
05-25-13, 09:50
I dont like the restrictions regarding carry on public transportation either. However, the bill is much better than I thought it would be.

The obliteration of all local gun laws is a good thing. The "shall issue" aspect is good. It is a starting point. It will complicate the lives of criminals, keep good people alive and piss of the liberals that have ruined my state.

rjacobs
05-25-13, 10:20
Missouri is also a no carry on public transport state, however to be fair we have very little public transport, at least in St. Louis.

Koshinn
05-25-13, 11:01
This will be interesting to watch.

Illinois lawmakers approve plan to allow concealed carry for gun owners (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/25/illinois-lawmakers-approve-gun-plan-opposed-by-governor/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Internal+-+Politics+-+Text%29)

The way the law works, if an activity is not prohibited, it is legal.

Illinois' ban on concealed carry was ruled unconstitutional and the legislature decided to act by allowing it. If they didn't act, they would by default be a constitutional carry state, lol.

So actually, this is completely expected. I bet the no votes were republicans.

The "shall issue" wording and state wide preemption were probably concessions to get republicans on board.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-25-13, 13:54
Missouri is also a no carry on public transport state, however to be fair we have very little public transport, at least in St. Louis.

????

Metro link?

I took it from the airport to union station a few years ago. I think I was The only one without a gun. That was a scary ride.

Alpha Sierra
05-25-13, 16:28
Public transport is one of those places where I will be armed no matter what.

RMiller
05-25-13, 18:07
Chicago ruins everything for the rest of IL. They could dig a large enough trench and let the Great Lake flow in around them and become their own state. Let the rest of IL live as they wish. What a festering pile of dog dung.

The republicans original bill was amazing. Chicago libtards kept demanding more restrictions. At least its a step in the right direction.

rjacobs
05-25-13, 18:15
????

Metro link?

I took it from the airport to union station a few years ago. I think I was The only one without a gun. That was a scary ride.

metro link and city buses. I guess there is public transport, but its not good. I am unsure of WHY its in the law like it is, but I think i remember reading something at some point that its in there because Federal law says no CCW on trains like Amtrack and we followed suit. I dont know. I dont think to many people ride it anyway because they know its a gamble taking it.

Alpha Sierra
05-25-13, 20:44
I think i remember reading something at some point that its in there because Federal law says no CCW on trains like Amtrack and we followed suit.

The feds have no jurisdiction on intrastate transportation when it comes to the carrying of weapons.

In my state I can carry on any public bus, anywhere in the state and there nothing either the feds or local municipalities can do about it. Gotta love state pre-emption.

nickdrak
05-25-13, 20:45
No chance in hell Chicago & Cook county Dems are gonna let their "assault weapon" bans go. This bill is going to fail in the senate exactly how it was designed to fail. These ****ers are devious.

Koshinn
05-25-13, 20:47
No chance in hell Chicago & Cook county Dems are gonna let their "assault weapon" bans go. This bill is going to fail in the senate exactly how it was designed to fail. These ****ers are devious.

It's a good thing if this bill fails. IL becomes constitutional carry.

Alpha Sierra
05-25-13, 20:51
What Koshinn said. These ****ers are stupid. Their current prohibition on carrying arms has been ruled unconstitutional. Failing to codify the carrying of weapons into state law is not going to change that ruling. All it will do is void the current law, and what is not prohibited is allowed.

nickdrak
05-25-13, 21:01
They are far from stupid. Evil? misguided? Yes. They know exactly what they are doing. This bill was designed to fail. They already have another bill crafted by Chicago waiting in the shadows. Trust me, this is all political theatrics that will be used for political cover next year.

Koshinn
05-25-13, 21:04
They are far from stupid. Evil? misguided? Yes. They know exactly what they are doing. This bill was designed to fail. They already have another bill crafted by Chicago waiting in the shadows. Trust me, this is all political theatrics that will be used for political cover next year.

If it fails, they only have a couple of weeks before the current law is invalid and "blood runs in the streets" from all the concealed carry.

rjacobs
05-26-13, 09:10
The feds have no jurisdiction on intrastate transportation when it comes to the carrying of weapons.

In my state I can carry on any public bus, anywhere in the state and there nothing either the feds or local municipalities can do about it. Gotta love state pre-emption.

Yes, but Amtrack is a federal entity as far as I understand it. Like I said, I THINK I remember reading that the law on public transport carry in Missouri was modeled after that. I dont agree with it, but it is what it is. My only point with that was that Illinois isnt the only place that may or may not have a prohibition on carrying on public transportation.

jmoney
05-26-13, 10:21
Yes, but Amtrack is a federal entity as far as I understand it. Like I said, I THINK I remember reading that the law on public transport carry in Missouri was modeled after that. I dont agree with it, but it is what it is. My only point with that was that Illinois isnt the only place that may or may not have a prohibition on carrying on public transportation.

It should be considered a federal entity under the entanglement doctrine. I've really only seen things concerning the 1st amendment and equal protection law concerning that area of con law though.

nickdrak
05-28-13, 16:14
What Koshinn said. These ****ers are stupid. Their current prohibition on carrying arms has been ruled unconstitutional. Failing to codify the carrying of weapons into state law is not going to change that ruling. All it will do is void the current law, and what is not prohibited is allowed.

House bill bombed in the senate. They already replaced it with a 10x worse bill.

Alpha Sierra
05-28-13, 16:27
House bill bombed in the senate. They already replaced it with a 10x worse bill.
Which my guess is will fail even faster. Leaving your state with no law allowing concealed carry by the time the court ordered date comes.

Which will make Illinois a constitutional carry state, will it not?

nickdrak
05-28-13, 16:39
That's not gonna happen. Their bill will make it thru. Aside from that, Cock county and Shitcago already have their anti CCW laws ready to go which is pretty much what the new senate bill is. "Home rule" will be the law of the land. Once they are done IL residents will be lucky to be able to carry concealed inside of their own home.

gunrunner505
05-28-13, 20:18
How did a supreme court mandate to enact basically shall issue concealed carry get this screwed up?

People talk about crooked politicians, brother, you ain't seen crooked till you've seen an Illinois machine domocrat from Chicago in action...

The CCW law in Wisconsin excludes puplic transportation, pretty sure.

Had a really good bill, this current one sucks out loud. The number of places you can't carry is staggaring. If I want to drop my kid off at school, I can't swing into the lot, kid gets out of the truck, I drive away, if I have my gun on as the no carry extends to the lot. This is garbage. The bill/law we get will suck and it will end up back in the courts, again.

nickdrak
05-28-13, 21:27
Lawyers for both sides are loving this shit.

gunrunner505
05-28-13, 22:07
Lawyers for both sides are loving this shit.

Well, when the city of Chicago has to stroke another giant check to ISRA for legal fees, what am i saying. They won't care.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Ryno12
05-28-13, 22:20
The CCW law in Wisconsin excludes puplic transportation, pretty sure.
I don't believe so. I just did a quick check in their FAQ page and didn't see any mention of public transportation. If it was listed elsewhere, I may have missed it.
From pg 40 on the FAQ:

"Any portion of a building that is a police station, sheriff’s office, state patrol station, or the office of a Division of Criminal Investigation special agent of DOJ.
• Any portion of a building that is a prison, jail, house of correction, or secured correctional facility.
• The Sand Ridge Secure Treatment Center, the Wisconsin Resource Center, or any secured unit or secured portion of a mental health institution, including a facility designated as the Maximum Security Facility at the Mendota Mental Health Institute.
• Any portion of a building that is a county, state, or federal courthouse. • Any portion of a building that is a municipal courtroom if court is in session.
• A place beyond a security checkpoint in an airport.
Wis. Stat. § 175.60(16)(a)"

ETA: I just read further & it says now you don't even need a CCW to transport, however, it can't be concealed or in reach if you don't have a permit.

So basically, you're gtg as long as its not prohibited by the transport company.

My wife & I travel often via rail to Chicago. This is my biggest hang up about going there. Hopefully this changes.

Sent via Tapatalk

gunrunner505
05-29-13, 08:16
I heard that public transportation thing on a local news report about CCW recently. Seeing how its now news here in Chicago. Doesn't surprise me it was wrong.

Ryno12
05-29-13, 08:48
I heard that public transportation thing on a local news report about CCW recently. Seeing how its now news here in Chicago. Doesn't surprise me it was wrong.

Yeah & who knows how Chicago will handle it. If they prohibit it on their end, it would still render CCW useless across state lines. Or can they even make stipulations on a rail owned by Amtrak? I'm specifically talking about the Hiawatha that runs from MKE to Chic.
I guess time will tell.

ETA, I also saw that Amtrak is governed by all laws of the District of Columbia... so I assume that negates any CCW on any of their trains. Who knows? :confused:

Sent via Tapatalk

gunrunner505
05-29-13, 10:09
Well, the 2 big mafia heads are fighting, house speaker Madigan and senate leader Cullerton. They are pissing on each others bills. This will be so much fun. Not really but you get my meaning....

Ryno12
05-31-13, 16:25
How's this coming along? Any updates?

Sent via Tapatalk

William B.
05-31-13, 16:37
How's this coming along? Any updates?

Sent via Tapatalk

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=132134

Magic_Salad0892
05-31-13, 16:51
Their current prohibition on carrying arms has been ruled unconstitutional.

I haven't been near a computer for a bit. What happened?

nickdrak
06-01-13, 01:02
It passed earlier today by a veto proof majority. It is a "Shall issue" bill. From what I understand, the governor can sit on it for up to 60 days but if he fails to sign it after 60 days it simply becomes the law of the land. He is the complete text of the bill that passed today: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/98/HB/09800HB0183sam005.htm

jpmuscle
06-01-13, 01:18
ETA: I just read further & it says now you don't even need a CCW to transport, however, it can't be concealed or in reach if you don't have a permit.

Sent via Tapatalk

So basically just toss it up on the dashboard and your gtg :lol:

SeriousStudent
06-01-13, 01:27
It passed earlier today by a veto proof majority. It is a "Shall issue" bill. From what I understand, the governor can sit on it for up to 60 days but if he fails to sign it after 60 days it simply becomes the law of the land. He is the complete text of the bill that passed today: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/98/HB/09800HB0183sam005.htm

Nick, what do you think of the bill as passed? You are much more in tune with the political landscape up there. Are there any hidden gotchas to worry about?

Iraqgunz
06-01-13, 01:36
Nick I am also interested on your take. Can you Barney this for us?

Ryno12
06-01-13, 01:41
So basically just toss it up on the dashboard and your gtg :lol:

As long as you have arms like T-Rex & can't reach the dashboard, I'd guess you're GTG. :D

Sent via Tapatalk

ryr8828
06-01-13, 07:23
I haven't been near a computer for a bit. What happened?Mary Shephard was beaten almost to death by a criminal in a church.
She sued the state for denying her right to self protection.
The 7th circuit ruled in her favor and ordered the State of IL to pass a law allowing concealed carry by June 9, 2013 or laws against handgun carry would be invalidated.
Documents and decision links are here:
http://www.isra.org/lawsuits/#Shepard

Magic_Salad0892
06-01-13, 07:44
Mary Shephard was beaten almost to death by a criminal in a church.
She sued the state for denying her right to self protection.
The 7th circuit ruled in her favor and ordered the State of IL to pass a law allowing concealed carry by June 9, 2013 or laws against handgun carry would be invalidated.
Documents and decision links are here:
http://www.isra.org/lawsuits/#Shepard

Thank you. :)