PDA

View Full Version : I am tired of the Junk!!

MudPuppy
05-25-13, 21:13
Putting the DPMS up for sale, tossing the Bushmaster into the Garage Gun Safe and relegating the home build to a backup gun.

Breaking down and spending the Money on a DDM4

Love the price of the V1LW
But hate the extra rail past the front Sight
Love the Look of V3 and the 9" Omega X

So..2 Questions... Obviously I want a fixed front sight not a gas block.
I will be mounting a EOTech XPS2

How much difference is there between the (and don't say 2")
Daniel Defense DDM4 Rail™ 7.0 of the V2 and
The OMEGA X 9 Inch Rail System of the V3

Can the V1 Rail be replaced with one that stops behind the Front Sight?

There is a $400 difference between the V1 and V3,
But I don't mind spending money to get what I want
(DPMS aside)😜

As always, my thanks

Mud

Grand58742
05-27-13, 04:16
How much difference is there between the (and don't say 2")
Daniel Defense DDM4 Rail™ 7.0 of the V2 and
The OMEGA X 9 Inch Rail System of the V3

Besides 2 inches? One's a mid length and the other a carbine length. Increased sight radius, larger rail and slightly better balance in my opinion. But that's subjective and more of a personal thing I would suppose.

Can the V1 Rail be replaced with one that stops behind the Front Sight?

I wouldn't see why not...you might end up spending about the same for a modified V1 as you would a stock V2. Selling the V1 rail will help offset this though so you might come out ahead in the long run.

There is a $400 difference between the V1 and V3,
But I don't mind spending money to get what I want
(DPMS aside)

As always, my thanks

Mud

So the question is...do you want a mid length or carbine length? You want a middy, go with the V3. You want a carbine length with a rail that ends at the FSB without any modifying, get the V2. Or get the V1, pick up a spare Omega 7" and have it installed and sell the old one. Choice is up to you.

TehLlama
05-27-13, 11:39
The cost difference may go down (the V3 will definitely become more available) over the next few months, based on current indications. While you're waiting for stuff to sell, some of this may change.

That said, the extra rail on the V1 is actually excellent real estate - put a Surefire X300 on it (they're starting to be dirt cheap right now) on top and you have a phenomenal ambidextrous light setup (or you can run a light on an offset mount from either side - poor man's Scout light: VTAC L4 in a GearSector/03DG/IWC mount is totally adequate).

If you want a carbine gas system, the V1 is, imho, the best of them even though they're not the prettiest. If you find a deal on the V4, consider that the DD Fixed front sight is not only cheap, but extremely rugged; that would be next in line among the carbines to me.

Mid-Length is where DD shines with available configurations on longer handguards, all my DD barreled uppers are mid-length gas models. If you don't want protruding rail, then the V3 is probably the best you're going to do. I think the real steals on the V5's are long gone (again, the DD Fixed Front sight on that setup is arguably the best thing DD makes).

Grand is right on that you could make up that difference pretty quickly in labor costs without selling the 12.0FSP OmegaX off the V1; but if the price difference where you're buying is that large, then you would be money ahead if the V2 is the alternative you wanted.
The advantage in MY mind of doing that is you'd get a chance to try out the longer handguard - run that for a month before making a final decision, you'd still be able to swap in the OX7.0 rail if you wanted, and recoup some cost off the longer FSP rail.

kmrtnsn
05-27-13, 12:17
Unless you are 5'1" tall you're going to find that extra rail real estate beyond the FSB both necessary and difficult to re-obtain if you commit to a carbine length handguard system. You may wish to reconsider the functionality over aesthetics when it comes to handguard length.

ucrt
05-27-13, 12:28

Just curious about how "tired of junk" you are, since you're getting rid of the DPMS, and you want to build a backup gun, does that make your Bushmaster your "go to" gun?

Just curious...

MudPuppy
05-28-13, 01:08

Just curious about how "tired of junk" you are, since you're getting rid of the DPMS, and you want to build a backup gun, does that make your Bushmaster your "go to" gun?

Just curious...

No my current go to is a Spikes Tactical build. Its OK, but I want better.
I found a deal on a DDM4 V3, and think I will go that way. Thank You for all your input. It was invaluable.

RMiller
05-28-13, 08:59
Daniel Defense is a very good choice.

DPMS is just that. JUNK.

TehLlama
05-28-13, 12:11
Solid choice - the V3 is a really good upper, sounds like it was what you wanted all along.