PDA

View Full Version : So we got our BM LE account...

C4IGrant
04-01-08, 18:01
With the help of some friends, we got our BM LE account! So now the question is, what do I order?????

My thought is that the Patrolman's Carbine and the A3 Superlight look to be their best two.

What do you think?

I intend to get these in and work them over. Here is the short list:

1. Stake Gas key
2. Verify gas key screws are proper size
3. Stake Castle Nut
4. Add H buffer
5. Check headspacing
6. Check chamber to make sure it is 556 NATO
7. Add BCM bolt upgrade package

Did I miss anything? :D

C4

Jay Cunningham
04-01-08, 18:16
Did I miss anything? :D

Umm... a butt-load of ACR's?

:p

r6tor1
04-01-08, 18:16
You can also add Masada... errrr, I mean BM ACR :D

SHIVAN
04-01-08, 18:49
Re: #6

I assume you will use one of Ned's reamers? If so, good show!

BushmasterFanBoy
04-01-08, 19:20
Grant,

I honestly wouldn't consider even stocking these. Bushmaster is well known for putting out utter garbage. Granted, it is hit or miss, simply the luck of the draw. I would venture to say you're going to have more work in these than what they are worth. You also should examine your specific market. No one who knows their stuff buys Bushmaster, and your customers know their stuff.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is some kind of April Fools?

NetJunkie
04-01-08, 19:23
Good one Grant!

Robb Jensen
04-01-08, 19:31
I'd replace the carrier key and screws with BCM parts.

I'd also remove the barrels and flash hiders and reinstall torquing correctly (I'm a bit anal).

C4IGrant
04-01-08, 19:35

Well DUH! ;)

C4

C4IGrant
04-01-08, 19:36
Re: #6

I assume you will use one of Ned's reamers? If so, good show!

Of course!

C4

C4IGrant
04-01-08, 19:39
Grant,

I honestly wouldn't consider even stocking these. Bushmaster is well known for putting out utter garbage. Granted, it is hit or miss, simply the luck of the draw. I would venture to say you're going to have more work in these than what they are worth. You also should examine your specific market. No one who knows their stuff buys Bushmaster, and your customers know their stuff.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is some kind of April Fools?

LOL, no, no April Fools joke, but this would be a good one!

C4

jmart
04-01-08, 19:40
How do you verify if the gas key screws are proper size?

NoBody
04-01-08, 19:52
I intend to get these in and work them over. Here is the short list:

1. Stake Gas key
2. Verify gas key screws are proper size
3. Stake Castle Nut
4. Add H buffer
5. Check headspacing
6. Check chamber to make sure it is 556 NATO
7. Add BCM bolt upgrade package

And that's why you'd be the only person I'd order a BM from. :D

BushmasterFanBoy
04-01-08, 20:03
LOL, no, no April Fools joke, but this would be a good one!

C4

In that case, at least order variants that aren't offered by other companies, like the A3 superlight. The patrolmans rifle is just a 6920 with lax QC and some faulty components.

steve0
04-01-08, 20:18
I have always wanted a superlight carbine upper in A3 configuration. Does the LE pricing apply to only complete rifles or uppers?

C4IGrant
04-01-08, 20:22
How do you verify if the gas key screws are proper size?

Well the easiest way is to just look at them and see if there is a lot space betwen the bolt heads and the walls of the gas key.

If that does not work, get the calipers out. :D

C4

C4IGrant
04-01-08, 20:23
And that's why you'd be the only person I'd order a BM from. :D

I am going carry the sins of BM on my back and restore their good name. :D

C4

C4IGrant
04-01-08, 20:27
I have always wanted a superlight carbine upper in A3 configuration. Does the LE pricing apply to only complete rifles or uppers?

My price sheet only has complete weapons in it. I might be able to order uppers, but do not know for sure.

BM is one of the very few companies that makes a superlight barrel and believe that I can sell these well (with a little work).

C4

Jay Cunningham
04-01-08, 20:36
Is it possible for you to sell their NFA SBR guns?

Wayne Dobbs
04-01-08, 20:42
Ensure that the FSBs are installed squarely so you can zero the iron sights without using up all the windage adjustments.

Drummer
04-01-08, 20:45
CMMG also sells a lightweight 16" barrel with midlength gas system that may be worth looking into. They might be popular for you after verifying the chamber and building it on quality parts.

jackinfl
04-01-08, 20:51
Grant,
If you usw Ned's reamer and it removes metal, making the chamber a true 5.56 what does that do to the CHROME lining? DOes this do anything to the warranty?
What about FSB's. I am in a class now with several BM guns, Alot of the guys need the taller Front sight posts as the stock one is hanging on by the last threads....

Not trying to break balls, just curious.
Stay Safe,
Jack

doughnut
04-01-08, 20:54
What would make an indivdual applicable for an LE purchase other that LEO employment? I'd be interested in a Patrolman's Carbine including your "ingredients."

Cold Zero
04-01-08, 20:54
Ensure that the FSBs are installed squarely so you can zero the iron sights without using up all the windage adjustments.

Good tip. Already been down that road.:rolleyes:

jmart
04-01-08, 20:56
Well the easiest way is to just look at them and see if there is a lot space betwen the bolt heads and the walls of the gas key.

If that does not work, get the calipers out. :D

C4

Did not know that was an area that needed checking. I was aware of different fastener grades, but I never knew some screws came with the proper threads, but a "smallish" head.

RogerinTPA
04-01-08, 20:56
This seems like such a vast undertaking with this company's weapons. I mean, by the time you get through with all your mods, won't the price be close to a basic LMT or M&P anyway? Or...Is this for building a relationship/rapport in anticipating "first dibs" on ordering the Masada??? ;)

Soulrack223
04-01-08, 20:59

+1 :D Nice list of upgrades. Better yet, order them without BCGs and/or replace them with one from Bravo Company. The H buffer isn't a necessary upgrade IMO, but it is nice.

I have a superlight barrel of their's that I am happy with that I used in a Colt 653 clone build. It was 1/7, limited run. (BTW I also have a dissy barrel that I've shot a ton of ammo through. It's accurate and makes for a nice KISS Rifle.) No other experience with BM other than those 2 barrels though.

Soulrack223
04-01-08, 21:00
Or...Is this for building a relationship/rapport in anticipating "first dibs" on ordering the Masada??? ;)

Honestly, this is immediately what I assumed.

RogerinTPA
04-01-08, 21:17
Honestly, this is immediately what I assumed.

I hope by doing this Grant, that leading by example on "How to build a AR correctly" will back flow to the leadership at BM. Then again, it may end up getting your account canceled if they get wind of your product improvement, which will cause the general public to insist on their weapons be built to the same specs!:p

RyanS
04-01-08, 21:26
Grant,

Would BM do a special run of something? Like a 14.5 or 16 LW middy? You could call it the G&R Limited or something tricky. Maybe make it a flat top with a F-marked or equivalent FSB. Just a thought.

CPR
04-01-08, 22:53
Mil-spec buffer tube?

Impact
04-01-08, 23:25
what?..no more BM bashing ?:p ;)

ST911
04-01-08, 23:47
Grant, f you usw Ned's reamer and it removes metal, making the chamber a true 5.56 what does that do to the CHROME lining? DOes this do anything to the warranty?

I'm not Grant, but I've reamed several Bushmasters chambers, as well as others with chrome lining. No adverse effects. Bushmaster chambers are usually okay. I've done some pre-emptively for info gathering.

Yes, it will almost certainly void the warranty. Warranty may or may not be important to the purchaser.

C4IGrant
04-02-08, 08:45
Is it possible for you to sell their NFA SBR guns?

I believe so.

C4

C4IGrant
04-02-08, 08:46

That one just a given, but thanks for bringing it up. :D

C4

C4IGrant
04-02-08, 08:52
Grant,
If you usw Ned's reamer and it removes metal, making the chamber a true 5.56 what does that do to the CHROME lining? DOes this do anything to the warranty?
What about FSB's. I am in a class now with several BM guns, Alot of the guys need the taller Front sight posts as the stock one is hanging on by the last threads....

Not trying to break balls, just curious.
Stay Safe,
Jack

Question for you, how long does the chrome normally last in the chamber?

You also bring up a good point about the taller front sight post. I might just go ahead and replace that as well just to save people the hassle.

I have never had ANY manufacturer argue with me about the upgrades I do to their weapons as they know that what I am doing is correct.

C4

C4IGrant
04-02-08, 08:54
This seems like such a vast undertaking with this company's weapons. I mean, by the time you get through with all your mods, won't the price be close to a basic LMT or M&P anyway? Or...Is this for building a relationship/rapport in anticipating "first dibs" on ordering the Masada??? ;)

All the things listed takes all of about 10 minutes and I generally do not charge for them.

My goal is to sell a BM AR's with all the upgrades for around $900.

C4

C4IGrant
04-02-08, 08:56
Grant,

Would BM do a special run of something? Like a 14.5 or 16 LW middy? You could call it the G&R Limited or something tricky. Maybe make it a flat top with a F-marked or equivalent FSB. Just a thought.

I doubt it. I am a small fish to them and they have better things to do (like build the ACR).

C4

C4IGrant
04-02-08, 08:57
Mil-spec buffer tube?

I will most likely leave those alone because you can now get a Magpul or VLTOR stock for commercial tubes. If I did change these out, it would add too much cost to the weapon.

C4

M4arc
04-02-08, 09:23
I like the sounds of all those changes you're making. I'd be down for a Patrolmans Carbine with the G&R upgrades when you get them in.

DrDrake
04-02-08, 11:08
I am going carry the sins of BM on my back and restore their good name. :D

C4

Bada bing, there's the reason for the finger ****ing. Grant wants to insure the quality of the rifles. I have a feeling that after several rifles have been checked out and found to be GTG it will not be necessary. A lot has changed at BM recently.

Hats off to Grant for being man enough to give second chances. I'm looking forward to the feed back.

Drake

markm
04-02-08, 11:10
I've always been a bushmaster barrel user. Some of the assembly work has been hit and miss, but I like the barrels I've had from them.

C4IGrant
04-02-08, 11:14
Bada bing, there's the reason for the finger ****ing. Grant wants to insure the quality of the rifles. I have a feeling that after several rifles have been checked out and found to be GTG it will not be necessary. A lot has changed at BM recently.

Hats off to Grant for being man enough to give second chances. I'm looking forward to the feed back.

Drake

Thanks Drake and appreciate all your help.

C4

ST911
04-02-08, 11:26
I have a feeling that after several rifles have been checked out and found to be GTG it will not be necessary. A lot has changed at BM recently.

The tweaks listed are changes that have been implemented by better armorers for some time, and make the biggest differences. I believe Grant will be the first vendor offering it to all on the commercial side, though. Good on him. A BM with these tweaks and inspection will likely be quite serviceable.

If a lot has changed at BM recently, though, it still isn't showing up in the assembly of their standard production units on dealer shelves. Same stuff, different serial numbers. We'll see what the future brings.

I'm not optimistic, but I'll give credit where credit is due.

Failure2Stop
04-02-08, 16:59
I guess I have to be the one to say this-
Maybe you could talk them into a roll-mark change? :p

Jay Cunningham
04-02-08, 17:06
I believe in second chances. If S&W could turn themselves around the way that they did then I certainly assume that Bushmaster can.

Like Grant likes to say - if he sells the rifles and something's wrong, we will ALL KNOW...

Paulinski
04-02-08, 17:40
I have always been happy with my purchases from Grant.

Maybe just maybe Grant will renew my faith in Bushmaster. ;)

RogerinTPA
04-02-08, 17:48
All the things listed takes all of about 10 minutes and I generally do not charge for them.

C4

Wow, then you are truly providing a quality rifle and performing a public service! Kudos to you Grant! It would be interesting how BM's quality has gone up/down in the last year or so and how much product improvement you actually have to perform. My money is that they are still the same.

mactastic
04-02-08, 17:56
What you can do Grant is let us know what dealer pricing will be on the ACR so we don't get ripped off too bad by other dealers.

DrMark
04-02-08, 18:06
What you can do Grant is let us know what dealer pricing will be on the ACR so we don't get ripped off too bad by other dealers.
Dealers generally aren't crazy about providing pricing information so that someone can get a good deal giving a different dealer their business.

I'm pretty sure, however, Grant would appreciate your business selling you a Bushmaster to be transferred locally.

TheGhostRider
04-02-08, 19:39
Good on you Grant! I know people will be able to trust Bushmasters that you provide.

BUT... I find it sad that upgrades even have to be done, especially when we know that Bushmaster has the knowledge and ability to produce a rifle properly.

Hawkeye
04-02-08, 20:06
Glad to see you pick them up.

Robb Jensen
04-02-08, 21:04
I'm glad to see you carrying them. It goes with what I've said for a long time. Anything can be made to 'run'. Bushmasters can run, they do need a little work but I can make them run and 'do' all the time.

C4IGrant
04-03-08, 08:13
Thanks guys for the feedback.

C4

carbinero
04-03-08, 10:26
Seems to me a LW 20" in 1:7 would have some takers.

AMMOTECH
04-03-08, 14:57
Maybe I read thru the post to fast and missed it but I failed to see anything about the front sight. (Lack of "F")
I know it would not be cost effective to replace the whole thing but you may want to add the taller post so that the 50Y zero can be used.
-(EDIT)- Ok I did go back and found some FSB stuff>

BTW here are the upgrades that did to my BM:
- Replace BCG with an unit from LMT
- Replaced stock with Mil-spec unit
- Added H buffer
- Staked castle nut
- Changed to the taller FSP
- Added Magpul Trigger guard (stock unit was plastic)
- Added Side sling adapter

I think BM, for the most part, puts out a good product but the items that I altered or added should have came with the weapon from the factory.:mad:

C4IGrant
04-03-08, 15:05
Maybe I read thru the post to fast and missed it but I failed to see anything about the front sight. (Lack of "F")
I know it would not be cost effective to replace the whole thing but you may want to add the taller post so that the 50Y zero can be used.

BTW here are the upgrades that did to my BM:
- Replace BCG with an unit from LMT
- Replaced stock with Mil-spec unit
- Added H buffer
- Staked castle nut
- Changed to the taller FSP
- Added Magpul Trigger guard (stock unit was plastic)
- Added Side sling adapter

I think BM, for the most part, puts out a good product but the items that I altered or added should have came with the weapon from the factory.:mad:

I cannot replace the FSB, but can add a taller front sight pin.

C4

carbinero
04-03-08, 23:54
This is from a vendor I ordered a CMMG from, when I asked about using a reamer:

"Recutting a chamber after its been chromed cuts through the chrome and leads to accelerated throat erosion."

To what extent is that valid?

C4IGrant
04-04-08, 08:02
This is from a vendor I ordered a CMMG from, when I asked about using a reamer:

"Recutting a chamber after its been chromed cuts through the chrome and leads to accelerated throat erosion."

To what extent is that valid?

Not very much as the chrome in the chamber wears VERY fast naturally.

C4

ST911
04-04-08, 09:28
This is from a vendor I ordered a CMMG from, when I asked about using a reamer: "Recutting a chamber after its been chromed cuts through the chrome and leads to accelerated throat erosion." To what extent is that valid?

Not very much as the chrome in the chamber wears VERY fast naturally. C4

Agreed. It's a technically correct statement, but the chrome removed will be gone soon anyway.

Analogous to the initial mating and polish other parts go through early in their use.

And certainly better than having a gun that won't run properly.

Army Chief
04-04-08, 18:16
I guess I have to be the one to say this-
Maybe you could talk them into a roll-mark change? :p

Hear, hear. I don't think it's overtly petty or inconsistent to comment on this, because most of us would be perfectly happy with a minimalist approach; that said, if you're going to slap a logo on a receiver, at least make it something classy (Colt), well-rendered (Magpul), or meaningful (Noveske).

Bushmaster's serpent logo started out as a good idea, I think, but today it appears amateurishly-executed, sorely in need of updating, and garishly oversize in rollmark form. Does it affect how the weapon functions? No. Does it make their rifles a bit less appealing? Perhaps. Would things be better if some changes were made? Yes.

Chief

Shihan
04-04-08, 19:18
Hear, hear. I don't think it's overtly petty or inconsistent to comment on this, because most of us would be perfectly happy with a minimalist approach; that said, if you're going to slap a logo on a receiver, at least make it something classy (Colt), well-rendered (Magpul), or meaningful (Noveske).

Bushmaster's serpent logo started out as a good idea, I think, but today it appears amateurishly-executed, sorely in need of updating, and garishly oversize in rollmark form. Does it affect how the weapon functions? No. Does it make their rifles a bit less appealing? Perhaps. Would things be better if some changes were made? Yes.

Chief

I hope the garden snake isnt on the Masada.

VA_Dinger
04-04-08, 22:52
I would be very interested in a Bushmaster SuperLight carbine w/Grant upgrades.

JLM
04-05-08, 01:09
Grant, inevitable question here I think: if you do all these mods, how will that effect their factory warranty?

C4IGrant
04-05-08, 09:15
Grant, inevitable question here I think: if you do all these mods, how will that effect their factory warranty?

I am not really changing anything that would void the warranty. What I am doing is just making sure that things are staked and putting a few minor upgrades on the weapon (like taller front post and an H buffer).

FYI to those interested, BM has just raised their prices 3%.

C4

Jay Cunningham
04-05-08, 09:56
FYI to those interested, BM has just raised their prices 3%.

Well, they probably just figured that they have a new QC inspector onboard so they can justify the price hike.

;)

Failure2Stop
04-05-08, 18:06
RE- rollmark.

I am in need of a new lower, and I just couldn't bring myself to buy a BM today. The whole way to the store I kept reminding myself that BM lowers are just fine, they work, and I can fix any problem in a matter of minutes.

When my eyes hit that logo and the stupid little BM M17S in the snake, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

We can all say what we want about "fit and finish" people being ghey, but a beat-up Ar looks "right" to me. I might not care if it looks brand-new and clean, but I do want it to look a certain way.

It might not really matter, but it does matter to me.

I am, however, interested in G&R upgraded uppers.

BushmasterFanBoy
04-05-08, 19:52
I personally don't find anything wrong with the BM rollmark. Maybe thats because it was my first AR, and many of you must be attached to the rollmarks from your first AR (A Colt rollmark on an M16 for many here, myself not included).

I'm a purely function kind of guy, so I don't care what the rollmark looks like. (My preference is for snakes over ponys, however, thats just looks, we all know which one is better quality;) )

DamnYank!
04-06-08, 21:35
what is one of these with all the 'corrections' made going to run?

DrMark
04-06-08, 21:45
what is one of these with all the 'corrections' made going to run?

From page 2:

DamnYank!
04-06-08, 21:51
From page 2:

thanks mark, somehow even reading the whole thread i missed THAT post ;)