PDA

View Full Version : Tahr Hunting, New Zealand

PathfilmsNZ
05-26-13, 02:37
Short film of Tahr Hunting, New Zealand. Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/gQuMloJOXGc

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-26-13, 08:42
Great video it had all the things I love, I must admit to being a bit jealous of where you live at. Whats it like there as far as hunting laws and guns? I also have heard there is nothing poisonous there at all?

J-Dub
05-26-13, 09:43
Very cool, thanks for sharing it.

Airhasz
05-26-13, 11:13
Excellent hunt and scenery, really enjoyed it.

PathfilmsNZ
05-26-13, 17:20
Great video it had all the things I love, I must admit to being a bit jealous of where you live at. Whats it like there as far as hunting laws and guns? I also have heard there is nothing poisonous there at all?

Hunting laws are pretty good - year round. No seasons (everything is an introduced/"pest" animally legally), lots of public land, no bag limits etc.

Gun laws are okay - similar to Canada I guess. Not great, but not Australia levels of terrible.

Nothing poisonous except one species of very rare spider. It's nice and safe. Bring some bears over if you come, I want those.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-26-13, 17:37
Hunting laws are pretty good - year round. No seasons (everything is an introduced/"pest" animally legally), lots of public land, no bag limits etc.

Gun laws are okay - similar to Canada I guess. Not great, but not Australia levels of terrible.

Nothing poisonous except one species of very rare spider. It's nice and safe. Bring some bears over if you come, I want those.

Everything is imported? No shit? I really had no idea, there must not be a lot of hunters?

Is military service mandatory there?

PathfilmsNZ
05-26-13, 17:43
Well we have large local populations of introduced animals.

40% of the South Island is public land. 20some % in the North Island I think.

There aren't a lot of people here fullstop.

Military service isn't mandatory, our military isn't much use - who's going to invade us? Tiny island in the middle of the pacific.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-26-13, 19:32

There aren't a lot of people here fullstop.

Military service isn't mandatory, our military isn't much use - who's going to invade us? Tiny island in the middle of the pacific.

LOL come on, I served with some of you guys, I cant say a bad thing at all, you guys had Bamina when I was in Astan! Same said for the Aussies good people both of you. Thanks for indulging my questions. I hope to some day visit your country, had a foreign exchange student in my high school from NZ she was HOT redhead WOW! Love the voice probably not as sexy on a guy! Thanks again for the info.

PathfilmsNZ
05-26-13, 19:42
It's not that our military is bad, it's just that it's not really an essential for us, so mandatory service isn't a thing. We're not like some European countries etc where there is a historical precedent of having been invaded or a theoretical future thread of it. We're very isolated.

I hope that some day you can make it over here. It's a hunter's paradise for free-range public land hunting.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-26-13, 19:46
What are the sights to see there besides hunting? The wife has not been anywhere at all. I'm on a Google hunt as we speak.

ralph
05-26-13, 20:47
Excellent vid! Looks like great country.. I've got a little Sony shortwave radio (SW7600GR) and I pick up NZ on the 19 meter band (15720KHZ) quite often.. And I'm in Ohio! Would love to visit someday..

jpmuscle
05-27-13, 02:15
What are the sights to see there besides hunting? The wife has not been anywhere at all. I'm on a Google hunt as we speak.

Sounds like quite the improvement over NY eh? lol

J-Dub
05-27-13, 11:37

Got any Chukar? Pheasant? How about huns or quail? If so, I think I just found paradise...

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-27-13, 17:36
Sounds like quite the improvement over NY eh? lol

Heck ya, we got rattle snakes and shit, plus there I can do the Haka and its normal, I can act the way I want and the wife cant say "your retarded" cause everyone does it.

PathfilmsNZ
05-27-13, 19:34
Got any Chukar? Pheasant? How about huns or quail? If so, I think I just found paradise...

We have Chukar (there's one in the video!), Pheasant and Californian Quail.

There are seasons on gamebirds though.

J-Dub
05-27-13, 20:02
HA! Went back and rewatched it....sure enough I missed the chukar sighting the first time. Must've stepped away from the computer.

NZ seems like a good place to live as a hunter, I'm jealous!

lunchbox
05-27-13, 20:38

Nothing poisonous except one species of very rare spider. It's nice and safe. Bring some bears over if you come, I want those. How do you feel about wild boar? Almost as dangerous and twice as tasty. I got a mess load of them, for trade on a "all expense paid trip":D.

VLODPG
05-27-13, 20:49
It looks like the suppressor helped keep the animals around for follow up shots!

PathfilmsNZ
05-28-13, 08:23
How do you feel about wild boar? Almost as dangerous and twice as tasty. I got a mess load of them, for trade on a "all expense paid trip":D.

We've got wild pigs already, can always use some new genetics I suppose. It's a deal if you throw in some Bobcats or Coyotes.

PathfilmsNZ
05-28-13, 08:26
It looks like the suppressor helped keep the animals around for follow up shots!

It's definitely nice for that.

lunchbox
05-28-13, 08:34
We've got wild pigs already, can always use some new genetics I suppose. It's a deal if you throw in some Bobcats or Coyotes.Will throw in the bobcats and coyotes for free. As far as the boar you were not kidding, did a google search. It seems ya'll boys like 'em as big as ya'll can get'em too! Some big ones from South East U.S. https://www.google.com/search?q=large+southern+wild+boar&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=grCkUeOnG43E9gSXloCQBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=574#tbm=isch&sa=1&q=massive+southern+wild+boar&oq=massive+southern+wild+boar&gs_l=img.3...47992.52489.0.53613.12.12.0.0.0.0.69.642.12.12.0...0.0...1c.1.14.img.EsniWcdFpH4&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.47008514,d.eWU&fp=4b0ca17fc40d06fd&biw=1280&bih=574

PathfilmsNZ
05-28-13, 08:43
These are more my preferred size:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/gimpsuitjones/P9260021.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/gimpsuitjones/media/P9260021.jpg.html)

better eating that way

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-28-13, 15:05
Will you guys take my mother in law up there an leave her?

jpmuscle
05-28-13, 15:15
These are more my preferred size:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g265/gimpsuitjones/P9260021.jpg (http://s58.photobucket.com/user/gimpsuitjones/media/P9260021.jpg.html)

better eating that way

BACON!

Watrdawg
05-28-13, 15:33
One of my dream hunts for sure!! That and Red Stag of course! I've see quite a few hunting shows and fishing shows on NZ. I drool every time one comes on. I've deer hunted in Canada and did a combined duck and dove hunt in Agentina and loved both places. NZ, someday will be on my list for sure.

J-Dub
06-02-13, 17:05
The more I think about NZ, the more I'm interested....

So is public access abundant?

PathfilmsNZ
06-03-13, 03:14
The more I think about NZ, the more I'm interested....

So is public access abundant?

Absolutely, I do almost all of my hunting on public land. About 40% of the South Island is public land, and most of that can be hunted on. Hunting permits are free from your local Department of Conservation office or online.

The most frustrating thing about being a hunter/shooter here is US export regulations.

J-Dub
06-03-13, 18:09
Absolutely, I do almost all of my hunting on public land. About 40% of the South Island is public land, and most of that can be hunted on. Hunting permits are free from your local Department of Conservation office or online.

The most frustrating thing about being a hunter/shooter here is US export regulations.

Exporting what? Meat? Capes?

gun71530
06-03-13, 18:27
Exporting what? Meat? Capes?

I think he is referring too ITAR.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

PathfilmsNZ
06-03-13, 21:24
I think he is referring too ITAR.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Makes it very hard to get fun stuff.

J-Dub
06-19-13, 08:52
I need more awesome NZ photos!!!!

I did watch a two part episode on Meateater that was filmed in NZ and it looked like a utopia to me.....

PathfilmsNZ
06-20-13, 07:18
I need more awesome NZ photos!!!!

I did watch a two part episode on Meateater that was filmed in NZ and it looked like a utopia to me.....

Stay tuned on the youtube channel... I've been flat-out working in Australia recently but I hope to be home and hunting in the next month.

J-Dub
06-26-13, 19:18
Pretty cool NZ hunts seen here....

http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/06/24/new-zealand-southern-alps-part-ii/

bosshoff
07-08-13, 23:38
You mentioned the NZ armed forces. Im not a vet, but I am pretty sure NZ and Australian troops have fought alongside the US in every conflict since WWI. Just a thought to keep in mind when you decide where to spend your vaction dollars. Theyalso have great beer in NZ. Australia, not so much. YMMV

J-Dub
09-10-13, 19:29
Keeping this alive! I need to talk my wife into a vacation....

PathfilmsNZ
09-16-13, 04:57
You mentioned the NZ armed forces. Im not a vet, but I am pretty sure NZ and Australian troops have fought alongside the US in every conflict since WWI. Just a thought to keep in mind when you decide where to spend your vaction dollars. Theyalso have great beer in NZ. Australia, not so much. YMMV

Our beer is pretty excellent.

CMW
10-02-13, 12:59
Our beer is pretty excellent.

Monteith's was the happening beer when I was there, almost 10 years ago, Speight's had some decent stuff too. I did fly in some Arrogant Bastard, which was kind of a big deal at the time ha.

Also, I don't know if it's true, but one of my favorite South Island story goes that, back in the day, when drink driving was more "socially acceptable", beer was used as a measure of distance.

As in: "How far is Wanaka?"

"Oh, about three beers."