PDA

View Full Version : BLC-2 223

opngrnd
05-26-13, 03:47
Hello All,
I'm looking to see what a few starting points that have worked for others for BLC-2 pushing Hornady 55 Grain FMJ-BTs . My goal is 2 inch groups at 100 yards, or however much better can be done when loading plinking ammo in mixed brass. The ammo will mostly be used for practice, but later on, may also be used for classes.
I loaded the initial rounds in small increments up to .4 below max charge and tested the rounds in batches of 5 for each charge weight in a Remington 700 and my AR, checking each case for signs of over pressure. The outside temperature was 35 degrees when I tested the initial batches of ammo. Here is my starting point.
Mixed brass
Hornady 55 grain FMJ-BT bullets
Winchester Small Rifle Primers
BLC-2: 27.6 grains
O.A.L. of 2.23
I put a little bit of crimp, and the case is crimping in the bullet cannelure.
Temps where I live range from 0-100 degrees. I don't shoot below 0, and it doesn't get to 100 often enough to be an issue.
Any info or experiences that anyone else wants to share would be appreciated. For the record, I plan on using varget for developing accurate loads other than plinking ammo. Ideally, I'd like to get a load that ends up close to quality commercial 223 ammo, such as Federal American Eagle. I shoot mostly PMC Bronze ammo the rest of the time. I'd know more about how my loads did but the chrono wouldn't record when I tested my batches of ammo. Thanks for any help.

Boxerglocker
05-26-13, 08:20
I've loaded lots of Hornady 55g SPs backed with BL(C)-2, that's my prairie dog AR hunting round. It will do under MOA in my 16 inch 1-7, provided I do my part. 26.0 is where I would start (velocity will be low). I don't have my notes handy right now but believe 27.5 is where I hit the accuracy sweet spot.
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63547%3Enu%3D68%3C5%3E%3A47%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D3453936%3A4%3A345nu0mrj

opngrnd
05-27-13, 04:55
Thanks for the info. Do you use standard primers? I hear people saying to use magnum primers with ball powders. To be honest, I'm thinking of going over to CCI #41 primers if I can find any in stock since I shoot an AR.

Boxerglocker
05-27-13, 08:28
Thanks for the info. Do you use standard primers? I hear people saying to use magnum primers with ball powders. To be honest, I'm thinking of going over to CCI #41 primers if I can find any in stock since I shoot an AR.

I run Tulu primers most of time because its the greater majority of my stash. I jumped on 25K when they were still for sale at $15 a K back when thing were normal.
I've used CCI's both standard and the #41s, other than concerns that personally I don't have for slam fires. I don't see much difference in performance for my standard AR loads.

SMJayman
05-27-13, 14:32
I have used that powder in my fmj loads for years now. 26.6 was where I was satisfied. With a red dot optic I never did better than 2.5" groups at 100. I have switched between the 41s and CCI srm, and could tell no practical difference in poi.

samson7x
05-30-13, 21:06

I use standard....magnums aren't necessary IMO.

I settled on 27.0 gr using 55gr vmax bullets.

opngrnd
05-31-13, 05:07
Thanks for all the input. Could anyone tell me what their velocity was per favorite charge? I'm not a fan of running pressures super high, and I don't go max loads in rifle. One of the reasons I like BLC-2 is that it had a higher max velocity than the other powders listed in my Hornady manual, so I can back off a little ways and still get a decent load.
Out of my 16 inch barrel, I believe Hornady Custom 55 grain V-Max(factory loads) was running at 2890, average.

markm
05-31-13, 08:26
I hear people saying to use magnum primers with ball powders. To be honest, I'm thinking of going over to CCI #41 primers if I can find any in stock since I shoot an AR.

Don't buy into that 41 primer nonsense. You can use them for sure, but they generally run at a premium. And note that billions of rounds of ammo NOT loaded with those primers are safely fired every year in ARs all over the planet.

opngrnd
05-31-13, 09:27
Don't buy into that 41 primer nonsense. You can use them for sure, but they generally run at a premium. And note that billions of rounds of ammo NOT loaded with those primers are safely fired every year in ARs all over the planet.

Has anyone on this forum experienced WSR primers being easily pierced or compromised under normal usage? Is there a better all around 223 primer I should be looking at? I use WSR primers because of the Hornady Manual.

markm
05-31-13, 09:36
Has anyone on this forum experienced WSR primers being easily pierced or compromised under normal usage? Is there a better all around 223 primer I should be looking at? I use WSR primers because of the Hornady Manual.

No problems under normal loads. One of the remmington Small rifle primers is not supposed to be used for 223, but I had a thousand of those and shot them with no piercing...

Ended up using them for 9mm ammo once I found out that they're not for 223.... but I never had a problem.

jl1288
06-20-13, 16:43
Hello gents, I don't usually post here but I second the 26.6gr of BL-C(2) under a 55gr Hornady FMJ with wolf primers. I opened a box of wal-mart 100rd bulk Federal and broke down a round. It had 25.5gr of what I am more than sure was BL-C(2) so I worked my load up from there and stopped at 26.6gr. That box of factory ammo patterned what looked like buck shot pattern at 100yds. The 26.6gr load got me a 2.0" group at 100yds thru my 16'' 1/7 CL heavy barrel AR. No idea what the velocity was, I really need to get a chrono. Good shooting, John