PDA

View Full Version : Sbr or not?

urmaker45
05-26-13, 05:45
I orderd a mk18 daniel defense upper for my seekings precision lower and now I'm thinking about selling it to get a bcm Reece mid length what do you guys think would be better ?

LTMattyL
05-26-13, 06:36
Could you make your question any more broad? It is kind of hard to give advice if you don't outline what your intended use is. Is this for HD or just a range toy? Any plans for a suppressor? Do you already have an SBR or mid-length?

I don't think either one is a bad choice. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

All that being said, if you already have another good quality AR, stick with the Mk18. If this is your first AR then get the mid lengh.

urmaker45
05-26-13, 11:08
Sorry for being broad but it will be hd and range toy I initially bought it for patrol rifle but the department bought the srt team sbr so now I'm questioning if I want two sbr. What's your guys opinion in the bcm is it just as good as the dd or should I stick with it ? . I don't have any plans if suppressed at this time I have yet to send my info in for stamp so it's still in pistol configuration so I'm kind leaning toward going 16" to avoid the hassle but if you guys think the dd is a better choice ill stick with it

wahoo95
05-26-13, 11:58
They're both equally great options. The decision on which to keep is yours. Flip a coin if you need to.

Hmac
05-26-13, 11:58
I guess it's worth noting that the SBR you are issued belongs to the department and is registered to them. If you leave them, or leave the SRT, the SBR stays behind. Also note that if you register your rifle as an SBR, you can still put a 16 inch barrel or upper on it whenever you want, and if you do, it's not an SBR while that upper is attached.

sua175
05-26-13, 12:13
you say it is going to be for a patrol rifle. im going on a limb saying that your most likely engagement distances will be under 200 meters. so why do you need a 16 in rifle? as a cop I imagine you using the carbine in and around vehicles, houses and street size distances. i think the DD mk18 will fit your bill perfectly. Mission drives the equipment not the other way around. look at what your mission is and what your doing then select your equipment to meet those demands the best way possible.

like people above have said, your issued mk18 doesn't travel with you if you leave the tac team, its the departments gun not yours. register your lower, then its registered for life and you can always buy a 16 inch upper and run it when you want or need to. Im guessing your departments team is part time which means the gun stays in your trunk? i would even recommending depending on the potential for longer rural engagement distances where you live to keep both the 10.3 and a 16in upper in your work vehicle just so you are cover no matter what call out your going to.

Stickman
05-26-13, 13:19
SBR it, I can't think of any reason not to own at least one SBR if your state allows it.

Iraqgunz
05-26-13, 15:18
SBR- its what's for breakfast.

steyrman13
05-26-13, 16:06
Buy a factory SBR or get a lower engraved?

urmaker45
05-26-13, 16:45
Like I said earlier my department is issuing me a sbr for the srt team so ill will have one by department this is the only personal ar I own besides my wife's which is a 16 bushmaster yeah I know. But I just wanted to build a good all round round rifle now since they decided to buy sbr for us so that leads me to wonder if it would be better to have a 16 inch gun and not have to pay the tax and bs . Ive not really shot any sbr at distance do you really lose alot after 200?

Col_Crocs
05-26-13, 17:16
SBR it since you already have a 16. What length is your department SBR?

yfz
05-26-13, 17:48
Build your non NFA rifle and in the mean time form 1 the lower. Then buy your sbr upper when your stamp gets close to approval.

Pappabear
05-26-13, 20:20
SBR- its what's for breakfast.

Mr Gunz nailed this one. You cant sell that thing of beauty. Later buy the other one.

Hern13
05-26-13, 20:28
Might as well go for the SBR, in time you'll re-approach the option if you don't go right to it now.

NoveskeFan
05-26-13, 20:43
If you're asking about it now, might as well do it and not regret waiting later. The wait for the stamp sucks!

okdonk
05-26-13, 20:55
Try your best to get both. Whichever first and suits your needs or priority. Once you go SBR.. it's more fun, lighter, cooler, tacticool :) and so on. Have 2 already and planning to register my DD lower.

urmaker45
05-27-13, 10:12
Yeah it's defiantly tactical cool just hate to wait 8 months to sbr it I guess I'm trying to take the easy route

Hmac
05-27-13, 10:27
The easy route would be to buy the Recce mid length and file the paperwork on it for an SBR. That way you have a midlength rifle to shoot but you could put a short barrel upper on it anytime in the future after the stamp arrives and you'll have an SBR and a Recce. NFA is forever. SRT assignments aren't.

BGREID
05-27-13, 11:59
I prefer the mid length mostly because I like the longer handguards.

Col_Crocs
05-27-13, 16:49
I dont think I'd notice the wait if I were in your shoes. You have a dept SBR to use in the meantime.