PDA

View Full Version : Mini Review - Mepro 21 Reflex Sight with triangle

ShipWreck
05-26-13, 21:19
Meprolight M21 Reflex Sight

A few years ago, I tried a Trijicon RX30 Reflex sight, as well as the previous version of the Mepro Reflex sight. Both suffered from indoor washout when not enough light hit the fiber optics... But, it wasn't quite dark enough for the tritium... This usually happened on white/light colored walls indoors. After trying both, I gave up on these and went back to the EOtech... There didn't seem to be a good battery free option in my price point at the time.

With my plan to buy a new rifle, though - I decided to look at my options again recently. I really wanted a battery free option... Something to grab and go, and not press any buttons... I had read that the latest incarnation of the Mepro 21 reflex sight: Revision M, was much better than it used to be. Apparently the washout factor has been cleared up a lot.

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/16ac3839b559b81bd777c06be4c91470.jpg

I got to shoot someone's Tavor recently - he had this on his new Tavor carbine. It worked nicely, but the Bullseye reticle version he had did make it a little harder for detailed long range shots. I decided that the triangle reticle would probably be better...

The triangle reticle version allows the user to put the triangle on the acquired target for CQC (close shots)... Then, use the point of the triangle for precise shooting. The triangle is also big enough to not have to "search" for it in the viewfield...

http://picpaste.novarata.net/pics/55cfe123960067455b8be302064c9782.jpg

Someone else's photos with the triangle reticle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/gnieman/Acog/Zoom_Reticle.jpg

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww261/CircRN/100_1941.jpg

I had an online friend who has several rifles all set up exactly the same way... He has the Mepro 21 on 5 rifles. It was actually thru reading his reviews online that I decided to give the Mepro 21 another chance - with this latest revision of the opic... He was even nice enough to ship me one of his and let me borrow it a few days so I wouldn't have to spend money if I didn't like it afterall ...

Well, I was impressed! It's not 100% washout proof - but it is much harder to lose the reticle indoors... Even when in a dark room looking outside on a sunny day - you can still barely see it... It's still there... Much, much better.. Also, you really have to go looking for ways to wash it out, as in real life, it probably wouldn't happen on its own...

I liked it enough to buy one myself. I thought about all 4 reticle choices - but ultimately went with the triangle reticle. Now, I've had it mounted to my new Steyr AUG for a few days now... And, I really, really like it.

It took a little while to get over missing that huge EOtech circle for CQC and indoor ranges. The Eotech is the only red dot type optic I have ever owned longterm (I've owned a few of them). But after playing with it a day, I quickly got used to the triangle. And, the more I handle it on the rifle, the more I like it.

I have kept my EOtech XPS in the back of my safe for any future rifle I may buy one day... But the day that happens, I could see myself selling the EOtech and buying another one of these.

I will go sight it in next Saturday - so, final judgement will be done then. But, I have yet to read an issue of one of these not holding their zero. I suspect it will work great.

I suggest that people looking for a battery free option take a look at the Mepro 21 Reflex sight. There are 4 different reticle versions. And, the quick detach levers that come with it are a nice touch. Quite often, one has to buy this type of mount separately. Finally - the optic is built like a tank. Very sturdy and it seems to be able to take bumps easily. The Mepro 21 is also the standard optic for the Israeli army. So, that says something about its durability. It's basically a big block of aluminum. The optic does weigh about 1 lb by itself (with the included mount)

If you buy one of these - be aware that the first 4 digits of the serial number is the year, and then month of manufacture. Anything from 2012 and more recent will automatically be "Revision M"

The Mepro on my rifle:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/AUG2000_zpsce58462f.jpg~original

Singlestack Wonder
05-27-13, 09:34
"Even when in a dark room looking outside on a sunny day - you can still barely see it..."

This is perhaps a clue why this optic is not being readily accepted for SHTF applications. Struggling to see a barely visible reticle in a split second encounter is a no go.

ShipWreck
05-27-13, 17:02
"Even when in a dark room looking outside on a sunny day - you can still barely see it..."

This is perhaps a clue why this optic is not being readily accepted for SHTF applications. Struggling to see a barely visible reticle in a split second encounter is a no go.

IT honestly can depend on the window and some other factors. And, how far away you are from the window. Get closer to the window, and there is no problem.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, and this is why I didn't buy an RX30 after borrowing one... And, why I returned the Mepro reflex sight I bought almost 3 years ago.

But this one... You'd honestly have to try it yourself. But, it's leaps and bounds over my past two experiences. And, I am a picky guy on this washout issue. I decided it was good enough for what I wanted. It isn't 100%. But, I think that its close enough...

GH41
05-27-13, 20:46
The sight on your rifle looks like the older one base on the FO window. GH

ShipWreck
05-27-13, 21:27
The sight on your rifle looks like the older one base on the FO window. GH

The one on the Steyr AUG is mine (the other photos are not of mine) - it's a Jan 2013 manufacture date - so, its not the previous version. It is "Revision M"

Tomac
05-29-13, 07:40
Nice review, thx! For a KISS optic it's hard to beat, IMHO (no batteries to go dead, no electronics to fail, no adjustments to make, no switches to break or go bad).
Tomac

Smedley
06-02-13, 19:33
Ship, Where can I get one of these, "Revision M's?" .. I've looked at the usual distributors, but they don't clarify what model they're selling. .. I have a Trijicon Reflex on one AR, and it meets my aging eye needs. .. I like the Trijicon, and their polarizing filter satisfies the wash out issue for me, but I'm seriously considering this Meprolight. .. Good "Mini Review," btw..

ShipWreck
06-02-13, 21:22
Anything from 2012 and on will be "Revision M" - I looked at a few places originally, and even called a few vendors. None would go pull stock to tell me the first 4 digits of the serial # (the first 4 digits are the year and then month of manufacturer). But, I was told that what they had was new stock that had just arrived.

I got mine from Cal's Sporting Armory here: http://www.gunaccessories.us/Mako_Mepro_M21_T_Self_Powered_Reflex_Sight_p/makm21t.htm

Once you add it to the shopping cart, it drops from the MSRP to $433.74 (plus shipping). It shipped on the 2nd business day after the order.

That link is for the triangle version. I had contacted them via email and they claimed they only had new stock. Mine was a 2013 model.

Smedley
06-03-13, 06:51
I got mine from Cal's Sporting Armory here: http://www.gunaccessories.us/Mako_Mepro_M21_T_Self_Powered_Reflex_Sight_p/makm21t.htm

Once you add it to the shopping cart, it drops from the MSRP to $433.74 (plus shipping). It shipped on the 2nd business day after the order.

That link is for the triangle version. I had contacted them via email and they claimed they only had new stock. Mine was a 2013 model.
Thank you so much. .. That's about the price I was hoping to spend.

ShipWreck
06-03-13, 06:58
No problem. Let me know how you like it.

Knife_Sniper
06-05-13, 07:30
Is it lighter than an aimpoint CompM4 with stock mounting system?

Tomac
06-05-13, 08:47
Is it lighter than an aimpoint CompM4 with stock mounting system?

CompM4 w/mount is 11.8 oz, M21 w/QD mount is 14 oz.
HTH...
Tomac

Smedley
06-07-13, 15:48
No problem. Let me know how you like it.
I received my Mepro M21 via UPS today.
My initial impression is I like it. The Internet makes it easy to research these things so there were really no surprises with this sight. It's exactly what I expected. Installation with the quick release lever was simple and locks up tight. 5 stars on that one. As has been mentioned everywhere I've looked, washout is a problem when looking from indoors to bright outdoors. I have a Trijicon RX06 Reflex that I was able to do a side by side comparison with. The Trijicon with polarizing filter installed overcomes this washout issue in all lighting conditions I've tried it in. Trijicon wins this comparison hands down, IMHO. M21 is very bright and reticle clearly defined in the limited other environs I've tried it in. .. A big plus for me is the triangle dot on the M21 is very easy for me to see without my corrective prescription glasses. I can't tell you how important that is to me. The washout issue concerns me though, and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this? .. The front of the M21 lens is threaded and I'd be thrilled if there was a polarizing filter that would fit? .. Trijicon comes with one and offers the filter as an accessory for about $25.00 bucks. .. The Mepro M21 would get high marks from me if they offered a polarizing filter. .. This is just my initial impression. .. If anybody has any suggestions for a polarizing filter for the Mepro I'd be happy to hear it.
Oh, and I'm familiar with the battery life debate, but I still like the idea of fiber-optic/tritium powered. I guess I'm just stupid like that;}

Tomac
06-07-13, 15:52
Smedley, check this out:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2886.0
Tomac

Smedley
06-07-13, 16:05
Smedley, check this out:
http://bullpupforum.com/index.php?topic=2886.0
Tomac
Thanks, a clever device but attaching a battery powered light to the sight kinda defeats the whole purpose for me. .. Polarizing filter, now that would be nice! .. Anyway, I really need to get out to the range and zero and evaluate it that way. .. The verdict isn't in for me on this yet.

Doc Safari
07-06-18, 10:25
They make a polarizing filter with killflash to improve the reticle's usability when looking from a darkened room to a sunny outside:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolight-m21-polarizer-kit.html

I have never used one (I haven't seen the reticle wash out enough to need it yet). I would love for someone to be the guinea pig and tell us how it works for you. I was tempted to order one.

RHINOWSO
07-06-18, 11:10
Nice 5 year old necro-thread. :p

Doc Safari
07-16-18, 11:07
They make a polarizing filter with killflash to improve the reticle's usability when looking from a darkened room to a sunny outside:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolight-m21-polarizer-kit.html

I have never used one (I haven't seen the reticle wash out enough to need it yet). I would love for someone to be the guinea pig and tell us how it works for you. I was tempted to order one.

So I went ahead and ordered the filter kit. It comes as a two-piece kit with the polarizing filter and the killflash as separate pieces. You can use either piece, or screw the filter on the front of the optic and screw the killflash into that.

I will say, the filter is effective. You dial the center ring in either direction to darken or lighten the background, so it does work. Darkening the background increases the contrast with the amber reticle on a light background. Problem: compared to the ruggedness of the Meprolight sight itself, the filter/killflash kit is fairly Mickey Mouse. The parts are plastic and look very fragile. One good whack and the filter is history. The killflash, if used separately, screws directly onto the front of the lense and has a low profile. It would probably only be vulnerable if hit directly by debris or something. The filter section causes the whole filter/killflash assembly to stick out from the sight by an inch or so. When both pieces (or just the filter) are attached, the whole assembly looks unacceptably cheap and vulnerable.

It's a pity you can't buy the killflash separately. It appears to be "good enough" unless you anticipated a direct hit on it by flying objects during use. Its low profile makes it less likely to be destroyed than if the filter is used with it.

I rate the filter assembly as "not to be used" unless your situation gives you the opportunity to attach it in just that situation, and remove it shortly thereafter. If you are near a window inside a building you probably won't need it anyway. It's only useful if you are deep within a darkened space looking out into a well-lit daylight area. I only found it necessary when looking through the sight from deep within my barn out onto the ranch in bright sunlight.

The directions say to retighten it every 500 rounds. Tightening the filter section presents another problem: it's hard to attach it tightly or remove it without also messing with the adjustment setting. The adjustment is simply a ring with audible clicks or stops as you darken or lighten the image.

Surely someone could design a better filter kit than this.

I'll take the killflash for what it is: acceptable. But the filter kit is too ill-conceived and executed for anything but range toy use.