PDA

View Full Version : Wet/traditional style shavers here?

Littlelebowski
05-27-13, 08:06
I shaved with this WWI Marine Corps issue straight razor last night. Since I've started traditional or "wet" shaving (that is either a straight razor or a DE (double edge) safety razor, I've gotten vastly better shaves and found a relaxing hobby that helps me wind down every day. It really is stomp down amazing how much better a $34 DE safety razor, some soap whipped up into a lather with a badger hair brush, and a 20 cent razor blade is over your latest 5 blade plastic monstrosity and canned goo. The necessary additional concentration needed to use these razors makes one concentrate on the moment (like shooting!) and takes your mind off of all other things.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/6d64eb3e.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/4704bede.jpg

steyrman13
05-27-13, 08:20
I like the idea. I have really coarse hair and every razor I have tried just pulls and studders instead of smooth shaving. I usually use an electric shaver because it is less painful. How does it do with coarse hair?

Voodoo_Man
05-27-13, 08:21
I did this for years, only way I was taught to shave growing up.

Then I realized I can do shave in 1/10th the time without nearly beheading myself with new tech razors. Now I shave with a Fusion, and am happy.

DocHolliday01
05-27-13, 08:55
I have thought about trying a straight edge as I'm tired of paying $5 a blade for the fusion blades that I get one shave out of.

Airhasz
05-27-13, 08:55
Nostalgia can be relaxing when time is abundant. Modern tools are the choice for everyday use...:p

Voodoo_Man
05-27-13, 08:58
I have thought about trying a straight edge as I'm tired of paying $5 a blade for the fusion blades that I get one shave out of.

One shave?

My facial hair would make a Viking jealous, but I get a good dozen or so shaves from one fusion blade...

DocHolliday01
05-27-13, 09:19
One shave?

My facial hair would make a Viking jealous, but I get a good dozen or so shaves from one fusion blade...

Yeah generally one. sometimes two. Ive never had good luck with gilette razors for some reason. I always break down and try the latest and greatest from them and end up regretting it. That first shave is always real nice but after that they just suck. ****ing pisses me off to have to pay that much for a replacement 8 pack or whatever they come in. I usually use a schick quatro disposable first and then go back over it with the fusion. How in the hell do you get that many shaves out of one? My face would be ****ed if i used one 12 times before ditching it.

Voodoo_Man
05-27-13, 09:30
Yeah generally one. sometimes two. Ive never had good luck with gilette razors for some reason. I always break down and try the latest and greatest from them and end up regretting it. That first shave is always real nice but after that they just suck. ****ing pisses me off to have to pay that much for a replacement 8 pack or whatever they come in. I usually use a schick quatro disposable first and then go back over it with the fusion. How in the hell do you get that many shaves out of one? My face would be ****ed if i used one 12 times before ditching it.

This what we are talking about right?

http://www.gillette.com/en/us/products/razors/fusion/fusion-power.aspx

What are you using in terms of shaving cream? How are you shaving and are you trying to get a "super close as possible" shave every time?

Littlelebowski
05-27-13, 09:39
I like the idea. I have really coarse hair and every razor I have tried just pulls and studders instead of smooth shaving. I usually use an electric shaver because it is less painful. How does it do with coarse hair?

Very well, especially if you use the sharper blades like the Personna Med Preps (http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Personna-Medical-Prep-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades-100-pak_p_883.html) or the sharpest of them all, the Feathers (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/fehidoedbl10.html).

I'd start out with the Merkur 34c (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/merkur34chd.html) or the Edin Jagger DE8911 (http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-DE8911-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Chrome_p_1029.html). Maybe a cheap brush and some Proraso cream (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/prsashcr.html).

DocHolliday01
05-27-13, 09:40
Yeah thats one of them I have. My hair is kinda ****ed up as my neck area grows all different ways. I generally have to go over the same spot at least 2-3 times to get a close shave. I cant just swipe once "with the grain" and call it good. I have found that just using hot water works best for me, I have tried a few different kinds of shaving cream regular and gel and never really noticed a difference.

Voodoo_Man
05-27-13, 09:45
Yeah thats one of them I have. My hair is kinda ****ed up as my neck area grows all different ways. I generally have to go over the same spot at least 2-3 times to get a close shave. I cant just swipe once "with the grain" and call it good. I have found that just using hot water works best for me, I have tried a few different kinds of shaving cream regular and gel and never really noticed a difference.

Baby Oil.

If that doesn't work, Baby Oil + Gillette gel in a thick lather. 2x over one are MAX, unless you've grown it out for a good bit and its longer than 1/4 inch. Should work best for most people, you will still get stubble/5oclock, I do, but that is the nature of the beast.

rjacobs
05-27-13, 09:53
Ive been wet shaving for a little over a year. I LOVE IT, but unfortunately with my job I cant carry my DE on the airplane with me so I have to use a Mach 5 when I am on the road, but I still use shaving soap and a smaller travel brush to lather up with.

I second the Merkur handles, I have a 38c, I like the longer handle vs. the 34c, seems to balance a little better for me. I am going to get a slant at some point in the near future. I use Simpson brushes. Maybe there are better, but I have 3 and REALLY like them. I like the puck soaps vs. cream or sticks. I have 3 of the DR Harris, Mitchels Wool Fat(awesome), Tabac, and one or two others I cant remember. Tabac is a "different" scent and isnt for everybody, but its manly, thats for shure.

Get a blade sampler and try them all. You WILL find ones you like and you WILL find ones that you detest, but give them all a fair shake. I found a blade on the first shave that was terrible, but for the next 3 was GREAT and then it was terrible for the 5th shave. Feathers are AWESOME, but DO NOT start with them, you will take the 1st layer of your skin off.

I spent a bunch of time on Badger and Blade forum to get info on wet shaving and what was best. Draw your own conclusions.

I bought all my stuff at westcoastshaving.com and feel I got a good price for everything I got.

Straight Shooter
05-27-13, 09:54
Do yall do anything extra to help avoid ingrown whiskers?
I get on in the same ****in place about every 2-4 shaves.
The shit is annoying as hell, just getting over now that's been a booger for two weeks now. Any tricks? My whiskers are very stiff and course, btw.

Littlelebowski
05-27-13, 10:03
The shit is annoying as hell, just getting over now that's been a booger for two weeks now. Any tricks? My whiskers are very stiff and course, btw.

The better the shave (sharper the blade, therefore less passes with the razor) the less chance of ingrown hairs. I haven't had one for over 2 years.

Voodoo_Man
05-27-13, 10:06

Like I said, I use baby oil and gillette gel, steaming how water on the blade, 2 passes max and use the single blade edge to clean up spots I missed.

As soon as I am done I take some ice (yes ice from the freeze) and run it along my face and neck. You usually know to stop when your face is numb. Then I wash it with soap in cold water and apply alcohol free after shave. I wash my face at night and in the morning after a shower again (with soap/face soap stuff from gillette) and then apply after shave again the next day.

Once in a blue moon I get an ingrown.

sammage
05-27-13, 10:07
Been wet shaving for a month or so know using a Gillette Tech I picked up. Even using traditional cartridges, I get better shaves using lather compared to a can of goo.

For anyone needing a cheap badger brush, I found this one and like it quite a bit for less than ten bucks: http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=7Q-1071&sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=20-40&keyword=7Q-1071&cm_mmc=Google???_-Product????_-20-40-_-7Q-1071&gclid=COvB-OrHtrcCFSRk7AodLVwAUA#.UaN2bpxq9Yk

theblackknight
05-27-13, 10:19
My jerry rig metal coat hanger stand:rolleyes:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/377217_144031489072541_2064322617_n.jpg

I buy all my stuff locally. I've saved tons of money since having it.

AKDoug
05-27-13, 10:21
I haven't bought shaving cream in 20 years. I shave in the shower, the last thing I do so that the facial hair is nice and soft. I get a couple dozen shaves out of a Gillette Fusion blade set. Something about all that water and softer hair makes them last longer. If you need a mirror to shave you are weak :big_boss:

PaulL
05-27-13, 10:27
Big time wet shaver here. The ritual of traditional wet shaving clears the mind and relaxes you. It's not really about speed. It's good to get some chill time every other day or so. Your bed is pretty much guaranteed to get smaller, also... ;)

Littlelebowski
05-27-13, 10:30
That's another good point; IF you can stick with one razor, cream/soap, and brush, you will actually save money wet shaving. The blades are pennies on the dollar and last 3-5 shaves.

What razor is that, tbk?

My jerry rig metal coat hanger stand:rolleyes:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/377217_144031489072541_2064322617_n.jpg

I buy all my stuff locally. I've saved tons of money since having it.

NeoNeanderthal
05-27-13, 10:39
I was sent a you tube video on how to sharpen multi-bladed modern razors. It's not really sharpening its stropping to remove the burrs, but you get more shaves out of a single razor.

I have my grandfathers safety razor that I use when i'm not in a rush. Im amazed at how well it works. The only advantage of the modern ones is the ability to rush, they don't work any better. Cant build a better mousetrap sorta thing.

steyrman13
05-27-13, 10:51
One shave?

Yeah I can only get one "decent" shave out of ANY of the Gillette models and not even one from schick(destroys my skin and shave). I have tried lotion type, gel, cream, and even the conditioner type at the end of a shower. None really seem to help. At one time when my benchmade was brand new, I used it to dry shave( when I realized I hadn't shaved at the checkpoint on base...!) it actually seemed like a straight razor would be the best way.

Scoby
05-27-13, 11:00
Been wet shaving most of my life. The wife gave me an electric razor to try about 20 years ago. Couldn't stand it. PIA to keep clean and didn't give me a smooth shave.

Ditched it after a couple of months for the Gillette Atra. Been using it ever since.

Now that I think about it, it's pretty amazing that I have had that one razor for that long.

Gillette - "The Best a Man Can Get"

PaulL
05-27-13, 11:01
Yeah I can only get one "decent" shave out of ANY of the Gillette models and not even one from schick(destroys my skin and shave). I have tried lotion type, gel, cream, and even the conditioner type at the end of a shower. None really seem to help. At one time when my benchmade was brand new, I used it to dry shave( when I realized I hadn't shaved at the checkpoint on base...!) it actually seemed like a straight razor would be the best way.

I'm in a similar predicament. I found some shampoo bars that strip a lot of the oil off the hair and let it soak up more water. A good DE razor and a sharp blade shouldn't give you any trouble. Try one of the Van Der Hagen soap/bowl/brush sets from the drug store instead of the canned stuff. There are some YouTube videos that show how to make a proper lather. There's a learning curve, but it's worth it.

steyrman13
05-27-13, 11:04
Very well, especially if you use the sharper blades like the Personna Med Preps (http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Personna-Medical-Prep-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades-100-pak_p_883.html) or the sharpest of them all, the Feathers (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/fehidoedbl10.html).

I'd start out with the Merkur 34c (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/merkur34chd.html) or the Edin Jagger DE8911 (http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Edwin-Jagger-DE8911-Double-Edge-Safety-Razor-Chrome_p_1029.html). Maybe a cheap brush and some Proraso cream (http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/prsashcr.html).

Thanks! Ill look into these....anything to make it not painful

I'm in a similar predicament. I found some shampoo bars that strip a lot of the oil off the hair and let it soak up more water. A good DE razor and a sharp blade shouldn't give you any trouble. Try one of the Van Der Hagen soap/bowl/brush sets from the drug store instead of the canned stuff. There are some YouTube videos that show how to make a proper lather. There's a learning curve, but it's worth it.

Ill definitely have to check that out! Thanks!

Alpha Sierra
05-27-13, 11:08
I converted about three years ago. It was a bit of a bloody transition, but once over that the quality of the shave is unbelievable.

I haven't tried a straight blade yet. All I use is a Merkur razor (model escapes me), Vulfix boars hair brush, Proraso cream, Persona Med Prep blades (Derbys when I can't get Persona Meds), and Nivea Face Balm as after shave.

I've tried soaps, but find creams far easier to lather correctly and like the fact that I don't need to worry about carrying wet soap in my travel kit.

Edit, went and looked and my Merkus is indeed a 34C.

Good recommendations all around by LL

Littlelebowski
05-27-13, 11:56
I strongly recommend getting into a DE safety razor and learning it before you try a straight razor. The transition to either will take time; the initial change more so. Take it easy, don't get aggressive with it.

My shave 12 hours later feels like I had just shaved with one of the plastic, multi bladed monstrosities.

Littlelebowski
05-27-13, 11:58
Strongly recommend WhippedDog's Sight Unseen Poor Man's set (http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/sight-unseen-flawed-razor) for when folks are ready to try out a straight.

Kokopelli
05-27-13, 12:00
I change BIC's when they start to rust.. Ron

Alpha Sierra
05-27-13, 14:14
I strongly recommend getting into a DE safety razor and learning it before you try a straight razor. The transition to either will take time; the initial change more so. Take it easy, don't get aggressive with it.
I'll be honest, three years into this and straight blades still look intimidating as hell.

My shave 12 hours later feels like I had just shaved with one of the plastic, multi bladed monstrosities.
Unless there is a special reason, I can comfortably shave every other day and still look presentable.

Littlelebowski
05-27-13, 14:33
The DE safety razor is far more efficient than anything else, including the straight. The straight is a different animal entirely.

theblackknight
05-27-13, 15:23
That's another good point; IF you can stick with one razor, cream/soap, and brush, you will actually save money wet shaving. The blades are pennies on the dollar and last 3-5 shaves.

What razor is that, tbk?

Thats what I do, buy all my supplies local from a tobaccanist shop. Blades are Merkur Supers. The cream is the CO Bigalow stuff they have at Bath and Body works, made by Proraso.

http://www.mugandbrush.com/images/bigelow-proraso.jpg

Razor is a Merkur 180.

I did the math assuming I use one blade a week for a Mach 5 and my Merkur with the blades I use, and the difference not counting cream over 30 years was close to 4g's.

http://russell.heistuman.com/images/blog/22blades.jpg

obucina
05-27-13, 17:25
since my employer mandates that facial hair with the exception of a 'stache is "outtareg" I use a Gilette Fusion (USO Edition) and Nivea fragrance free canned goo. I shave every other day and can get about 3-4 months out of a blade before I have to ditch it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-27-13, 17:59
I travel a lot and between running out of shaving cream when limited to 3oz or not being able to carry it other times I converted to a brush and lather bar. Lasts me 6 months at a time, I know when I'm running out and the brush lets you really work the lather in. I had a heated shave creamer at home, which was nice, but the bar and brush are much better. Just a few bucks at Walgreens.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-27-13, 18:15
Good thread, I have been thinking about trying this for years, I stopped shaving altogether after I left the service, due to acne. I only get acne when I shave. I just trim with some clippers every 3 or 4 days. I have been shaving a little bit as of late, after taking microbiology last semester and learning what causes acne I changed my procedure a bit and have not had any acne.

Boy Scout
05-27-13, 19:18
I'm going through various iterations myself, and what I've landed on recently is a Mohle badger brush, lather made up of Cremo Creme, conditioner and a couple drops of baby oil. I've used Proraso cream in the past and it was the best for my skin. (I'd use it still if it were available locally; I just haven't ordered any more.). For a razor, I'm using Dollar Shave Club's middle priced cartridges and handle. Only $6/month for four cartridges and I've only used three in two months. I'm thinking I'll have to go with a DE to get closer though, as I have to go over my neck a few times to get it close enough.

JoshNC
05-27-13, 20:23
I've always been a fan of wet shaving. I use one of the Gillette multi-blade razors and a shaving cream bar with brush to apply.

Waylander
05-27-13, 23:46
The best thing I've ever done is ditch shaving cream. At first I went to soap which worked much better for a while but now I use hair conditioner. I wash my face in warm water, apply the conditioner, let it soften my whiskers for about a minute then shave. It also leaves my face soft so I don't usually need aftershave.

mikelowrey
05-28-13, 00:12
Good thread, I have been thinking about trying this for years, I stopped shaving altogether after I left the service, due to acne. I only get acne when I shave. I just trim with some clippers every 3 or 4 days. I have been shaving a little bit as of late, after taking microbiology last semester and learning what causes acne I changed my procedure a bit and have not had any acne.

Me too, when I started growing hair at the beginning it was fun to shave everyday, but few years later my facial hair has gotten so hard that I have to trim it down with some clippers and that's it. Only when going to an important function (wedding,b-day) etc,, then I shave which is probably like once or twice the most every month, I guess I have to try those classic one's.

og556
05-28-13, 00:21
I've been using a DE for a couple of years now. I like the feather blades and Muhle DE razor.

Recently I tried a much more aggressive Gillette open comb DE which left me pretty bloody. I may want to revisit my techniques because the Muhle probably was mild enough to be forgiving when I was being lazy.

In terms of soaps I have tried the art of shaving sandalwood which I like and also Mitchell's wool fat (lots of lanolin). I'm not really sure what to try next but I may try a different cream to use with a scuttle I very recently received as a gift from my father in law.

JohnnyC
05-28-13, 00:34
Badger & Blade is like the m4c of the wet shaving world. You can learn a ton there, and I've gotten some good recommendations. My personal favorite razor is a vintage Gillette Adjustable from the mid-50's.

Shavenation.com has a bunch of stuff and the dude ships quick. I've got about 10 different lathers just for fun.

TriviaMonster
05-28-13, 01:20
I shave with a Edwin Jagger DE and have an assortment of brushes, soaps and blades. I have shaved this way for a few years. Its relaxing and the only way a passionate hobbyist could possibly shave. I would highly recommend some RazoRock shave soaps if you want quality on the cheap. Its a process to find what truly works, but when you find that combination you simply cannot get a better shave.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Endur
05-28-13, 02:28
I have been thinking about shaving with a straight edge lately as using a damn mach 3 sucks b*lls and it irritating on my skin. I usually shave after a hot shower to loosen the hair but it still irritates the crap out of me. I hate shaving but my work requires it. I'd much rather have a short beard or full on beard and trim it every now and then but I can't. Where should I start?

lunchbox
05-28-13, 03:02
The best thing I've ever done is ditch shaving cream. At first I went to soap which worked much better for a while but now I use hair conditioner. I wash my face in warm water, apply the conditioner, let it soften my whiskers for about a minute then shave. It also leaves my face soft so I don't usually need aftershave.Also have had good luck with this (heard from wife).. And helped with ingrown hairs as well.**edit** I am really likin this idea, it has real manly-ness to it. Plus good excuse to look into a straight razor, and I do love new toys.. "Think of long term $ saved" is approach I might have to try with wife.

Alpha Sierra
05-28-13, 04:08
I have been thinking about shaving with a straight edge lately as using a damn mach 3 sucks b*lls and it irritating on my skin. I usually shave after a hot shower to loosen the hair but it still irritates the crap out of me. I hate shaving but my work requires it. I'd much rather have a short beard or full on beard and trim it every now and then but I can't. Where should I start?

I would recommend against jumping straight into the deep end with a straight blade. Step up to a double edge safety razor, a good quality brush, a wet shaving cream (the real deal that you squeeze into a bowl and lather up with the brush), and good quality double edge blades.

Here are my personal pics for a new guy:
Merkur 34C razor (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Merkur-34C-Heavy-Duty-Safety-Razor.html)

Blade sampler pack (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Beginners-Blade-Sampler-Pack.html)

Badger hair brush (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Frank%27s-Shaving-Pure-Badger-Shaving-Brush.html)

Proraso shaving cream (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Proraso-Menthol-and-Eucalyptus-Shaving-Cream-Tube.html)

After shave balm (I get it from the pharmacy) (http://www.niveausa.com/products/mens-care/originals/Replenishing-After-Shave-Balm)

Endur
05-28-13, 08:07
I would recommend against jumping straight into the deep end with a straight blade. Step up to a double edge safety razor, a good quality brush, a wet shaving cream (the real deal that you squeeze into a bowl and lather up with the brush), and good quality double edge blades.

Here are my personal pics for a new guy:
Merkur 34C razor (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Merkur-34C-Heavy-Duty-Safety-Razor.html)

Blade sampler pack (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Beginners-Blade-Sampler-Pack.html)

Badger hair brush (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Frank%27s-Shaving-Pure-Badger-Shaving-Brush.html)

Proraso shaving cream (http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Proraso-Menthol-and-Eucalyptus-Shaving-Cream-Tube.html)

After shave balm (I get it from the pharmacy) (http://www.niveausa.com/products/mens-care/originals/Replenishing-After-Shave-Balm)

Thank man much appreciated. I will put some money aside because I am sick of using crappy razors. If I have to shave which I hate I want something better. Any experience with those six shooter brushes? I remember seeing them on either Soldier Systems or Tactical Fanboy or one of those sites; they looked cool but as we all know looks mean nothing over function.

Waylander
05-28-13, 08:20
Also have had good luck with this (heard from wife).. And helped with ingrown hairs as well.**edit** I am really likin this idea, it has real manly-ness to it. Plus good excuse to look into a straight razor, and I do love new toys.. "Think of long term $ saved" is approach I might have to try with wife.

My wife told me about it too. lol
Even using soap and a 3 blade disposable Schick that lasts about 3-4 weeks I haven't had an ingrown hair in years.

rjacobs
05-28-13, 09:19
Any experience with those six shooter brushes? I remember seeing them on either Soldier Systems or Tactical Fanboy or one of those sites; they looked cool but as we all know looks mean nothing over function.

They are ridiculously overpriced for what you get.

Stick with Simpson or Vulfix IMO.

Todd00000
05-28-13, 09:24

http://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Doc Safari
05-28-13, 09:53
I struggled for years trying to make an electric razor do anything other than irritate my face. Finally I woke up one day and went with a modern safety razor and haven't looked back. I will say, though, that el cheapo Gillette disposable Good News razors shave just as well as the Trac II Tactical Lubricating CostsMoreThanItShouldBecauseOfTheFancyName Whatchacallit.

Mr. Goodtimes
05-28-13, 10:04
I've gotten pretty good with some of this couponing stuff that people are doing now and a couple months ago publix had BIC disposable razors on sale plus I had a coupon for them so really long story short I bought about two hundred of them for a couple bucks. I can get about two or three shaves out of them and then I toss them. I would like to try a straight edge though.

Alpha Sierra
05-28-13, 11:07
They are ridiculously overpriced for what you get.

Stick with Simpson or Vulfix IMO.

Agree.

nimdabew
05-28-13, 12:33
I just bought a Merkur 180 and a blade sampler pack a few days ago. Hopefully I won't kill myself with it when I get to my throat hair.

Mr. Goodtimes
05-28-13, 12:58
If Benchmade starts making their prototype straight razor I'll be an instant convert.

PaulL
05-28-13, 17:48
I've been using a DE for a couple of years now. I like the feather blades and Muhle DE razor.

Recently I tried a much more aggressive Gillette open comb DE which left me pretty bloody. I may want to revisit my techniques because the Muhle probably was mild enough to be forgiving when I was being lazy.

In terms of soaps I have tried the art of shaving sandalwood which I like and also Mitchell's wool fat (lots of lanolin). I'm not really sure what to try next but I may try a different cream to use with a scuttle I very recently received as a gift from my father in law.

If you like MWF, try Mike's Natural Soaps. They pretty much rendered my MWF obsolete.

05-28-13, 18:36
Shave in the shower with 2 bladed Gillette using bar soap. No mirror. Easiest way for me and good results. I shave my balls with...um, I mean...

TriviaMonster
05-28-13, 18:56
Semogue makes a wonderful Boar hair brush for less than $20. They need awhile to break in, but once the tips split they have good backbone and soft, scrubby tips. They are a great investment for those curious about wet shaving and want to play it cheap and safe. My Semogue gets more use than any other brush i own and its the cheapest by about $80. I have brushes upwards of $175 and i still love my Semogue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ClearedHot
05-28-13, 22:24
Shaving? This whole time I thought all the members here on M4C rock a Tactical Beard. :D

Endur
05-28-13, 23:04
Shaving? This whole time I thought all the members here on M4C rock a Tactical Beard. :D

Damn you why did you have to mention a beard.. Ohh I miss having a beard.. :shout:

Whiskey_Bravo
05-28-13, 23:39

You have to have the best supplies to shave the lower portion of your neck right?:cool:

lunchbox
05-28-13, 23:50
Shave in the shower with 2 bladed Gillette using bar soap. No mirror. Easiest way for me and good results. I shave my balls with...um, I mean...Just stay away from Veet for grooming the undercarriage.. Be sure and pay attention to the " DO NOT PUT ON KNOB AND BOLLOCKS" review.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000KKNQBK .. :haha:

theblackknight
05-29-13, 14:04
I just bought a Merkur 180 and a blade sampler pack a few days ago. Hopefully I won't kill myself with it when I get to my throat hair.

Just let the weight do the work, and if you dont have a styptic pencil, lip balm kinda works for knicks. Ask me how I know!:D

Sry0fcr
05-29-13, 14:59
In case you guys didn't know black men are EXTREMELY susceptible to ingrown hairs. The Mach 5, Fusions ect just chewed my face up and I got tired of having my face look like hamburger meat. I jumped straight into the Feather blades (supposedly the sharpest around) and the cheapo plastic Feather Popular handle and haven't looked back.

Does it take longer? Absolutely, but I'm baby but smooth and have clear skin that doesn't itch and burn so the extra 10-15 mins in the AM is worth it to me and the look of curiosity on my son's face when he sees me work the brush is worth the price of admission. :D Oh, and my entire shaving kit (blades, brush, soap, handle, bowl & stand) probably cost less than the value pack of Fusions you just bought and I got 50 blades vs your 8. :dance3:

FVC3
05-30-13, 07:42

Then I realized I can do shave in 1/10th the time without nearly beheading myself with new tech razors. Now I shave with a Fusion, and am happy.

Tried EVERYTHING in my 35 years of shaving. Fusion and good gel after 60 seconds of hot washcloth on my face is the best so far.

nimdabew
05-30-13, 10:08
Just let the weight do the work, and if you dont have a styptic pencil, lip balm kinda works for knicks. Ask me how I know!:D

I am getting the stuff this afternoon from the guy in the white truck. I will probably pick up a styptic pencil on my way home from work and shave this afternoon.

Watrdawg
05-30-13, 15:11
I've shaved in the shower for the last 25 years. Just use soap and use whatever shaver I'm using at the time. For the last 4-5 years it's been a Fusion shaver. Works great for me so far. I do have a wet/dry mirror in the shower though.

Big A
08-28-13, 21:33
Hello gents,

I was wondering if those of you who do the double edge style shave could tell me more about this type of shaving.

If you guys could point me in the right direction to do some research and so reputable places to get quality supplies I would appreciate it.

I went to the Art of Shaving store and they rang me up at $300 just to get started so I decided I could probably find it on the internet for less.

Any help is greatly appreciated... :)

_Stormin_
08-28-13, 21:51
$300 is insane.

You pick up a decent brush/bowl/razor set such as THIS ONE HERE FROM MERKUR (http://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Merkur-Safety-Husband-Boyfriend/dp/B0010Y1KYA/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1377744323&sr=1-5&keywords=edwin+jagger)

And spend a ton of time watching You Tube videos on Wet Shaving. Take your time, develop your technique, and you'll never look back. The set I recommended is NOT CHEAP, but it is a high quality set from a company that would be referred to as the BCM of DE razors.

I have been DE wet shaving for four years now, and I refuse to ever go back to disposable cartridges. I have bought a few razors, none of which are Art Of Shaving with their crazy prices. Several brushes, stands, and bowls. I also run a rotation of three soaps right now just to keep things fresh. And skip the styptic. Buy a cheap alum block. Works wonders, even if it stings just a bit.

ggammell
08-28-13, 21:59
If Benchmade starts making their prototype straight razor I'll be an instant convert.

Straight razor with an axis lock? Winner

Army Chief
08-28-13, 22:21
I've shaved in the shower for the last 25 years. Just use soap and use whatever shaver I'm using at the time. For the last 4-5 years it's been a Fusion shaver. Works great for me so far. I do have a wet/dry mirror in the shower though.

Pretty much the same story here, though oddly enough, since going through the whole radiation deal, I doubt that I've needed to shave more than three times in any given month since. Not super relevant, mind you, but when I pondered the whole hair loss thing (which never really became an issue for me, since I was already doing the "high and tight" thing), it didn't immediately occur to me that my facial hair would be affected as well. Even lost most of the eyelashes on the affected side. Very odd.

I can't recommend max-dosage CT radiation as a method for achieving a nice, baby-smooth face, but I can confirm that it works. ;)

AC

Caduceus
08-29-13, 06:57
I started wet shaving about 3-4 months ago; wife bought a trial kit, at my request, for my first Father's Day (I think it's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Shaving-Merkur-Safety-Husband-Boyfriend/dp/B0010Y1KYA/ref=pd_sim_hpc_5). I'd been using a Mach 3 for years, so the change wasn't too different. I think this is the Merkur 23c.

I didn't mind the starter blade; wish I knew what it was. Then I got a 5-pack from the NEX; works OK for 3 days, the last 2 are kind of rough (I only shave on work days).

Then I picked up a trial pack off Amazon last week. Absolutely HATED the Dorco platinum. Missed patches, hair grew back by mid morning, etc. On my second brand from that pack, the Lord blades, and they're a damn sight better. I'm on day 4 and the closest to a BSS I've had so far. Still have 8 brands to try, but they're leading the pack.

Honu
08-29-13, 07:53
I like wet shaving for fun had a couple of my dads old razors kinda like black powder shooting fun to see how it used to be done but its not my thing
I hate shaving so only do it every 3-5 days or so

But can see why wet shaving is fun to do :) kinda like my espresso machine stuff I am into fun to have a hobby that keeps alive older traditions :)

Only electric that has worked is a braun I got a few years ago to try for fun and use it and fusion in shower mix up the two
Cheap disposables rip my face apart though

TiroFijo
08-29-13, 08:22
This works great for me, with just warm water or a little soap:

http://d1pxffhcwa1qe0.cloudfront.net/resources/product/product_6626/generic-C73871149892/generated/blue-ii-fixed-plus-sensitive-disposable-razors-5-expanded.jpg

I hate rotating or zillion blades shavers, and I really hate electric razors.

Whiskey_Bravo
08-29-13, 08:47
I have been using a safety razor for about 6-9 months now and don't imagine I will ever go back. It maybe takes me a minute or two more to shave but if I can't spare a couple of minutes I am doing something wrong.

I got my brush and razor off of Amazon, and use a small stainless steel bowl.

nimdabew
08-29-13, 10:16
I have been DE shaving for about three months now. I used to get a LOT of ingrown hairs. I haven't had one since I switched. I get a shave that lasts all day and most of the second, though it tends to get a bit long by the end of the second. GF got me a nice bowl, stand, and a badger brush that makes life easier. I need to go test different types of soap now.

R/Tdrvr
08-29-13, 10:47
I've been DE shaving for a few months now and absolutely love it! My face is so much smoother and the shave lasts longer. My current set up is:

Mekur 34C
Parker badger hair brush
Shark Super chrome blades (bought a 100 pack for $20 that will probably last me about 2 years.)
Proraso soap
Proraso pre-shave cream
Taylor of Old Bond St. sandlewood shaving cream
Alum block
Nivea for Men aftershave balm

Just the savings alone in blades is worth it. Find a brand you like then buy a 100 pack for $15-$25. It'll last at least a year and a half. Compare that to buying just one 4 pack of Fusion blades.
I got my stuff from www.shavenation.com. They have a very wide selection of supplies as well as a bunch of Youtube instructional vids.

Big A
09-14-13, 09:48
Well I ordered some supplies from Amazon. I got a Parker 96R that came with 5 shark blades, a metal stand for the razor and brush and an Art of Shaving starter kit that includes pre shave oil, shave cream, brush and aftershave. Totaled $70 so I'm happy.

Are the shark brand blades any good or is there a better brand I should look for?

What soaps do you guys like? I found some from a company called Mamma Bear and they make one that is supposed to smell like the original Shulton old spice soap that I'd like to try because I'm an old spice kinda guy...:cool: Anyone here use the mamma bear soaps?

SilverBullet432
09-14-13, 11:10
I shave with a cheapo straight razor with replacable blades, i use derby blades, theyre ok. I use proraso shave cream, and bay rum aftershave, mug and brush.

Days when im in a hurry, i use american crew pre shave oil, crew shave gel and the crew aftershave lotion. Its good stuff wen youre in a rush, as for the rush razor, i use my gillete fusion.

ptmccain
09-14-13, 11:19

this

:)

_Stormin_
09-14-13, 15:27
Are the shark brand blades any good or is there a better brand I should look for?

They're currently in my razor, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND grabbing a blade sampler and trying some of everything. Razor blades are like ammo. For some people there is a brand that just runs better than anything else.