PDA

View Full Version : Screwed the pooch on this one

86K5
05-27-13, 20:00
As the title says, I bought what I was told and for every stretch of the imagination was a new barrel from a private party. Absolutely no marks on the barrel to show it was ever mounted or had anything mounted to it. An examination of the bore showed it was new. The tube the barrel came in, the rubber muzzle and chamber covers were new. I have absolutely no reason, even now, to believe this barrel isn't new.

Fast forward to today. I went to remove the barrel from an upper I mated it to to sell it and low and behold I see this:

http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/IMAG0766_zpsd8819ff4.jpg (http://s838.photobucket.com/user/Rico762/media/IMAG0766_zpsd8819ff4.jpg.html)
http://i838.photobucket.com/albums/zz306/Rico762/IMAG0769_zps0ea38243.jpg (http://s838.photobucket.com/user/Rico762/media/IMAG0769_zps0ea38243.jpg.html)

This barrel is from a reputable mfg so I emailed them to see what my recourse, if any, I have. I don't know how I missed this before I bought it.... So, how screwed am I? I am gonna assume it isn't safe to fire... Is it???

SpankMonkey
05-27-13, 21:01
Not sure what I am looking at. Are you talking about the nick on the chamber mouth? How long is the nick? Are there any cracks?

Failure2Stop
05-27-13, 21:07
I would contact the manufacturer.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

86K5
05-27-13, 21:31
Two small dents. A little bit bigger than the ball of a ball point pen... less than a mm each, about the size of this comma,. No marks on a chambered round. No cracks or other problems. The worse case scenario I can see would be the fired round expanding the case enough to cause it to stick but I really don't see that happening as its right at the bevel. I sent an email off to the MFG and am awaiting to see what they say. They've done right by me in the past so we'll see.

SpankMonkey
05-27-13, 22:04
See if they will replace it. As long as there are no burrs on the chamber to drag or damage cases it should be fine.

You can try shooting a .223 rd, not a 5.56 rd and see what happens to the case. If nothing shows up on the case than use 5.56 or just use steel cased ammo.

I don't think it will be a problem as long as nothing is wrong inside the chamber. Keep a sharp eye on any cases you do fire for damage, last thing you want is a blow out on the rear of the case. Barrels are cheap compared to you skin.

My biggest concern would be why and how it happened. Reason being, is it going to happen again and is it going to get worse.

lunchbox
05-27-13, 22:22
[QUOTE=SpankMonkey;1656047]See if they will replace it. As long as there are no burrs on the chamber to drag or damage cases it should be fine.

You can try shooting a .223 rd, not a 5.56 rd and see what happens to the case. If nothing shows up on the case than use 5.56 or just use steel cased ammo.

I don't think it will be a problem as long as nothing is wrong inside the chamber. Keep a sharp eye on any cases you do fire for damage, last thing you want is a blow out on the rear of the case. Barrels are cheap compared to you skin.

My biggest concern would be why and how it happened. Reason being, is it going to happen again and is it going to get worse. [QUOTE] I was wondering this too. Is that from the BCG?

86K5
05-28-13, 01:31
Not from BCG.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

lunchbox
05-28-13, 01:52
Not from BCG.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2HMMM.. The only other guess is that dents look to be exactly opposite/path of feed ramps. Dunno, bummer bro.

86K5
06-10-13, 18:20
Update:

So I heard back from the mfg today, Daniel Defense. I had sent them an email explaining the situation. One of their armorers took the barrel and inspected it and apparently test fired it to see if it was safe and it is. He says there is no reason to worry about the dent and feels it will not affect the reliability of the barrel. It's a bummer that it's there but as long as it is good to go I'm not gonna worry about it. They are sending a letter stating their findings and stating it's safe, should I decide to try and sell the barrel down the line. They are also including the test target as well. This is my second dealing with DD customer service. The first time I spoke with Marty himself about another barrel issue I had previously. This time I dealt with Caroline and she's just as prompt and courteous as I have come to expect from them......

Tzed250
06-10-13, 18:41
Good to hear about the positive CS experience. I have a DD 16" carbine barrel on my rifle.