PDA

View Full Version : What have you lefty shooters done to your AR?

danpass
05-28-13, 14:45
I've been shooting my A2 in competition. It requires the rifle be in as-issued condition (at least on the outside)

But now I'm in the process of building a middy for carbine classes, 2-gun, whatever.

At first I'd thought to keep the controls/stock like the A2, but nah, I'll do it different lol.

So before I go into BAD levers and ambi controls and blah, blah I'd thought I'd see what other people are doing, what type of end plate, etc.

thanks

Failure2Stop
05-28-13, 14:56
I do a pretty significant amount of shooting from the "support" side, as I am a believer in being able to effectively use your gear from either side.

I find that an ambidextrous selector lever is the most significant improvement. The two that I like are the BAD and the KAC.

An ambi mag release is good, but most add-on left side releases are sub-optimal for me.

Right side bolt release is neat, but I don't really "need" it.

Right side charging handles and bolt-catches are less necessary, but if they do not impede functionality I am not opposed.

Zane1844
05-28-13, 15:00
Ambi safety, Charging handle, Novesek QD endplate.

Army Chief
05-28-13, 15:07
I do a pretty significant amount of shooting from the "support" side, as I am a believer in being able to effectively use your gear from either side.

I find that an ambidextrous selector lever is the most significant improvement. The two that I like are the BAD and the KAC.

An ambi mag release is good, but most add-on left side releases are sub-optimal for me.

Right side bolt release is neat, but I don't really "need" it.

Right side charging handles and bolt-catches are less necessary, but if they do not impede functionality I am not opposed.

Good capture here. I've added a Raptor charging handle to my preferred kit, as well, but the selector is the real game-changer. I've also taken a more active interest in ambi receivers (KAC and AXTS) as time has gone on. These have actually made me much less appreciative of the Norgon magazine release, though it too has its place.

AC

Littlelebowski
05-28-13, 15:10
BCM ambi charging handle and 45 degree BADASS safety are on all of my ARs now. Just makes sense.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

markm
05-28-13, 15:15
45 degree BADASS safety are on all of my ARs now.

Iraqgunz runs that hipster thing on his guns. So embarassing. :p

rainman
05-28-13, 15:17
I've done very little as I believe "it's a right-hand world" and try to deal with it.

The only change I've made is an ambi mag release (prefer Troy, have also used Norgon).

I agree ambi-selector would be good, but currently use left trigger finger to work safety. While it works for me, I don't think it's optimal.

No other changes...charging handle and bolt-release all work fine for me.

FYI, I'm a 'quasi-lefty' in that I'm cross-dominant; right-handed / left-eyed, therefore I shoot pistol RH, rifle and shotgun LH.

-Rainman

Iraqgunz
05-28-13, 15:23
All of my AR's have an ambi magazine release (Troy), ambi selector (BAD ASS 45) and BCM MOD 44 handles. I like being able to manipulate my weapon in the event that I have to move to the support side.

I just put together a carbine for a lefty here locally and one of the things he wanted was ambi controls.

aguila327
05-28-13, 16:06
We added ambi safeties and mag releases to all our dept rifles.

On a side note: switching from troy to b.a.d. ambi safeties. The troy right side selector has been seperating. The dovetail setup not up to task.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

VIP3R 237
05-28-13, 16:08
KAC lower, BAD-ASS 50 degree selector, Raptor CH.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/20130529_180521_zps15bd7d4a.jpg

danpass
05-28-13, 16:12
FYI, I'm a 'quasi-lefty' in that I'm cross-dominant; right-handed / left-eyed, therefore I shoot pistol RH, rifle and shotgun LH.

-Rainman
that's how I am too actually.

We get to use both sides of the body equally :D

"that dude has his pistol and rifle mags on one side and rifle and pistol mags on the other ....... what's wrong with him?!"

Littlelebowski
05-28-13, 16:33

On a side note: switching from troy to b.a.d. ambi safeties. The troy right side selector has been seperating. The dovetail setup not up to task.

Troy mag releases? If so, how have they been holding up?

Iraqgunz
05-28-13, 16:56
I think he meant Troy ambi selectors. Unless I misunderstood.

Troy mag releases? If so, how have they been holding up?

Littlelebowski
05-28-13, 17:10
I think he meant Troy ambi selectors. Unless I misunderstood.

You did; he said they switched to B.A.D. selectors because of the Troy dovetails not holding up :D

Iraqgunz
05-28-13, 17:16
Huh? :confused:

You did; he said they switched to B.A.D. selectors because of the Troy dovetails not holding up :D

Voodoo_Man
05-28-13, 17:18
Ambi KAC lower + Raptor = ownage.

Littlelebowski
05-28-13, 17:21
Huh? :confused:

OK, he said he switched his whole dept to ambi mag releases and safeties. Then he said he had to switch the Troy ambi safeties to B.A.D units. Then I asked how the Troy mag releases are holding up. I assumed they are Troys.

Magic_Salad0892
05-28-13, 17:29
KAC ambi lower, RAPTOR charging handle, and KAC endplate is good for ambi use. I do like the VLTOR loop style endplate though.

For non ambi lowers, BAD-ASS selector, KAC selector, and KAC ambi mag releases work well. The Norgon seems awkward to me, but I cant figure out exactly why. If I use one ever again, I'll update.

bzdog
05-28-13, 20:42
I'm not a lefty, but I've grown fond of ambi tools (Ritter RSK, HK/Walther PPQ). As a result I've ordered some AXTS AX556 stripped lowers. That plus the Raptor charging handle (and BAD ASS) sounds like a pretty optimal ambi setup.

Now if Grant would just get LPKs back in stock...

-john

DiabhailGadhar
05-28-13, 21:01
Troy ambi mag release, BAD selector (thick side on the right), BCM AMBI charging handle. However, being so use to having to pull the mag with the right mag release(Marine Corps) I still tend to favor it. But when I'm focused on what I'm doing and not letting muscle memory take over I am glad it's there.

The Troy is very simple to use and gives a large area of purchase even for those of us with raccoon paws.

The BCM, well it's BCM can't go wrong there!

The BAD...I have an earlier version and there isn't a real positive switch from and to safe..can't say I'm huge fan of that but as I understand the newer ones are better. Correct me here if I'm wrong.

HackerF15E
05-28-13, 21:04
I use a Stag lefty safety, but keep everything else pretty much stock.

Thinking about a Rainier Raptor at some point in the future, though.

DiabhailGadhar
05-28-13, 21:14
Also...I was running a badger ordnance tac latch on the right side for a while and I really liked it. I decided to switch because the way I was charging the rifle was to actually just knife hand the charging handle back toward me and I wasnt overly confident in either my methed or the structure of the tac latch. I also have a motto..." If BCM makes something that replaces the thing you're currently using...it's time to upgrade." Lol

Azpred
05-28-13, 21:37
I'm a hardcore lefty, & I think that Troy ambi mag release is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've got a Noveske endplate and have ordered a BCM ambi selector. I also just installed but have not yet shot with a Troy ambi bolt release. I'm familiar with the issues folks have had with the BAD lever inducing failure to lock back problems, and if that happens I''ll probably yank it; but being able to release the bolt from the right side is a big deal for me. I dont like having to reach around to drop the bolt.

Failure2Stop
05-28-13, 21:48
I'm a hardcore lefty, & I think that Troy ambi mag release is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've got a Noveske endplate and have ordered a BCM ambi selector. I also just installed but have not yet shot with a Troy ambi bolt release. I'm familiar with the issues folks have had with the BAD lever inducing failure to lock back problems, and if that happens I''ll probably yank it; but being able to release the bolt from the right side is a big deal for me. I dont like having to reach around to drop the bolt.

Have you tried releasing the bolt with your left index finger, or index and middle fingers? I don't have large hands, but that's the way I release the bolt from the left side. Of course, moot point if you can't reach.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

DiabhailGadhar
05-28-13, 22:13
Have you tried releasing the bolt with your left index finger, or index and middle fingers? I don't have large hands, but that's the way I release the bolt from the left side. Of course, moot point if you can't reach.

I really wish that some one that builds to a better quality then bush master would have gotten the lead out and bought the Magpul Masada..the control interface on that weapon system are damn near ideal. Especially for us short handed lefties..

Back to your regular programming.,,

jdc.
05-29-13, 01:34
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/29/ume3ube2.jpg
Knights ambi mag release
90° BADASS
(Not shown) BCM ambi charging handle
That's all I need to functionally run this left or right handed

Sent from my iPhone.

Troy9749
05-29-13, 02:25

I had this issue with my Troy selector as well. I had to loosen the cap that holds the detent in the offending side to allow it a little more bite and it fixed the problem. There were no issues until I had uninstalled and reinstalled it a few times.

I run the ambi safety and a Raptor. The bolt catch is an easy reach with my trigger finger. Want to try an ambi mag release but haven't yet.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ColtM4Carbine
05-29-13, 10:31
I'm a lefty shooter as well and considering purchasing the B.A.D. A.S.S. I was wondering what the differences are between the BAD ASS, BAD CASS, Hybrid, Specialized 45 degree...

http://battlecomp.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=ambi+selector&x=0&y=0

Duffy
05-29-13, 11:09
DiabhailGadhar, email inbound, we'd like to replace your BAD-ASS 90 degree center with the current production unit. Back in Feb. of 2012, there were some in the batch that were harder to rotate, the new centers incorporate all the improvements we've made since 2010 :) They have improved detent groove depth, shoulder, angle and holes, the result is a smooth rotating selector without being mushy (which some users mentioned, as the first generation of BAD-ASS centers had a deeper detent groove), and positive detent engagement.

RE: BAD-ASS vs. BAD-CASS, we posted the info here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=112484

Info on the 45 degree selector can be found here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82851

About the levers, almost all of the LE agency purchases have been equipped with standard (left side) and short (right side) levers, this configuration happens to be the most popular, and most usable for the majority of users. If you'd like to try other levers, we have a free lever exchange program just for that, so your choice in levers isn't final at the time of purchase.

dgt
05-29-13, 11:42
I'm currently running a norgon mag release and while it gets the job done I feel that a kac unit would be a more efficient setup due to the added length back toward the rear grip. Just something to think about. I noticed only a couple mentions about ambi endplates. I'm currently running a magpul asap and while I like the simplicity I'd like to swap out to the noveske qd.

sent from my galaxy S3

Koshinn
05-29-13, 11:44
DiabhailGadhar, email inbound, we'd like to replace your BAD-ASS 90 degree center with the current production unit. Back in Feb. of 2012, there were some in the batch that were harder to rotate, the new centers incorporate all the improvements we've made since 2010 :) They have improved detent groove depth, shoulder, angle and holes, the result is a smooth rotating selector without being mushy (which some users mentioned, as the first generation of BAD-ASS centers had a deeper detent groove), and positive detent engagement.

RE: BAD-ASS vs. BAD-CASS, we posted the info here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=112484

Info on the 45 degree selector can be found here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82851

About the levers, almost all of the LE agency purchases have been equipped with standard (left side) and short (right side) levers, this configuration happens to be the most popular, and most usable for the majority of users. If you'd like to try other levers, we have a free lever exchange program just for that, so your choice in levers isn't final at the time of purchase.

Oh I noticed that one of my older 90* bad selectors was hard to rotate. I swapped detents and still no change, so I sold it. I thought I did something wrong, lol.

One time in a class I brought my rifle up and it took me like a second to get the safety off. It seemed like 10 minutes, but in reality is was probably a second. That's what prompted me to sell it.

Duffy
05-29-13, 12:17
I wish you had contacted us :(

But if you'd like to give the current production unit a try, please email me your shipping address, thanks!

danpass
05-29-13, 13:21
I have to admit that an ambi-safety is really low on the list. I've gotten so used to flipping Safe with the top of my index finger (and to Fire with the pad of my index finger).

Of course that's a consequence of not having the option to use my thumb to even try it out.

DiabhailGadhar
05-29-13, 14:31

THAT LADIES AND GENTLEMEN IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!

vereceleritas
05-29-13, 14:38
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/29/ume3ube2.jpg
Knights ambi mag release
90° BADASS
(Not shown) BCM ambi charging handle
That's all I need to functionally run this left or right handed

Sent from my iPhone.

What do you think of the KAC ambi mag release? It moves the release button pretty far back and I've always thought it would be better to try and mirror the position of the mag release button from the right side as much as possible.

Duffy
05-29-13, 14:43
The difference between the different generation of centers:

Current production centers:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/details.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/details.jpg.html)

Previous generation center:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i314/Duffypoo/SelectorcenterbyStickman.jpg (http://s75.photobucket.com/user/Duffypoo/media/SelectorcenterbyStickman.jpg.html)

We raised the detent groove depth, changed the angle, and reduced the detent holes diameter even more.

Sorry about the hijack!

I have tried the KAC, Troy, and Norgon ambidextrous mag release. The Norgon Ambi-Catch has an NSN, it doesn't have an external button / lever sitting on the receiver. But the lever is short, and therefore stiffer to press.

This is one of my pet peeves, the location of the Norgon Ambi-Catch is so close to the bolt catch, especially when wearing gloves, one has to pay attention to which button he's actually pressing.

Not everyone has the same gripe, but this can be addressed with a bolt catch whose bottom paddle sticks out further than the Ambi-Catch's button. Seekins Precision makes just such bolt catch / release, we'll be bundling it with the Norgon Ambi-Catch very soon.

DiabhailGadhar
05-29-13, 18:08
One more thing I forgot, this is more of a short finger thing then a lefty but because of the placement of the bolt catch/release on the port side of the rifle it still kind of applies ...I also tried the Wilson combat oversized bolt release, I placed it horizontally thinking that it would make it closer to my trigger finger, which it did. But it actually made it more difficult to press. Besides it eventually fell apart...lost forever...and abruptly ending a day of fun.

Lawnchair 04
05-29-13, 18:21
Rifle 1 wears a bad cass with Troy mag release and raptor ch. rifle 2 wears a bad ass with a norgon mag release and a bcm ambi. I prefer rifle 1, I find the Troy is easier to depress with my trigger finger and the raptor handle doesn't pinch my finger like the bcm sometimes does. Also the raptor handle is extended slightly on the right side making it easier to grab hold of and avoid the forward assist. Just my small observations.

Duffy
05-29-13, 18:23
We designed our own, though it never made it to prototype, as its cost would have been prohibitive.

Then I saw Seekins Precision bolt stop, it accomplishes the same thing ours would, so we stopped development of ours and instead will carry Seekins bolt catch / stop.

I'm of the opinion that the top "ping pong" paddle of the factory bolt stop is fine in its current size, it is the bottom paddle, which is shaped like the heel of a boot, that needs to be enlarged.

Seekins bolt stop has more surface area, but more importantly, isn't of the same vertical plane as the Norgon Ambi-Catch, which makes it easier to distinguish which button is which while the user's finger is over the Ambi-Catch's button and bolt stop's bottom paddle.

cop1211
05-29-13, 18:54
Im a lefty, easiest thing to do is get a KAC lower. If you can't get your hands on one of those get a BAD ASS selector, I've used all the ambi mag release models, I like the Troy, and I use the Raptor charging handle.

ColtM4Carbine
05-29-13, 19:21
Ordered the BAD ASS and Norgon Ambi Catch today.

Also added the Raptor charging handle.

SW CQB 45
05-29-13, 21:20
I am left eye dominate but right handed.

While I can shoot right side, I am primary a lefty with a long gun.

I tried the KAC ambi mag release but my 3X hands made it difficult to hit the release lever. The Troy unit works for me with no hangup issues with the BAD lever.

The BCM ambi charging handle has not been an issue.

I have another BCM I use for duty and it is set up the same way.

tommyrott
05-29-13, 21:37
got a noveske qd end plate, noveske STS 60 degree ambi safety, BCM mod 5 charging handle, norgon ambi mag release, magpul BAD lever. it is less than optimal with the BAD and the norgon combined but practice weapon manipulation everyday and it is getting easier to deal with. i'm right handed, right eye dominant but have practice constantly for about 3 years switching side is a lot more natural, still have to blink my right eye a bit to keep the left in focus using any optic or irons.

krisjon
05-29-13, 22:16
BAD-CASS and Raptors across the board for me.

I'd run ambi releases too, but I live in bullet button country.:rolleyes:

trinydex
05-30-13, 16:44
i am left handed.

norgon ambicatch
wilson combat extended bolt release (for the left hand index and or middle finger bolt release technique)

i have an ikickhippies end plate which i do not use and find unnecesasary because i use two point slings.

i do not have an ambidextrous charging handle. i find that i would always resort back to clawing the charging handle like i am dealing with a double feed or brass over bolt problem. it is possible to use the index finger to depress the bolt release to hold back the bolt while pulling on an ambidextrous charging handle (ala scar 16 with charging handle on right side of the gun). because of the drills requiring that manipulation i have never become accustomed to the idea of charging the gun with a stroke of the palm.

i wish i had a receiver that had ambidextrous features integrated. the add on ambi features always look funny/snaggy.

MorphCross
05-30-13, 20:24
SR-15 lower; BAD-ASS with a thin on the left side and short on the right; Raptor charging handle. The final touches are the MUR upper for more space between the forward assist and the Raptors right side release as well as the X300 mounted on the top rail.

Mat
05-31-13, 00:00
For the most part I like the 'standard' controls as they are. Although I do appreciate the BADASS/BADCASS 45degree safety, not for the ambi feature, but the 45degree flip is really slick. The ambi mag-drop on my KAC doesn't get used mostly because I haven't trained for it & forget it's there. But still I prefer not having a mag-drop so close to the bolt catch & slammer.

titsonritz
05-31-13, 03:23
I’m a lefty and just recently decided to make myself a full ambi AR, my first up, until now I have used stock configured ARs.

I started with a Colt 6920:

A Raptor charging handle was my first mod,

Then a BAD-ASS 90* selector with that short lever on the left and standard on the right (thinking of giving the Hybrid a shot).

Next came the Magpul B.A.D.

These mods make me feel like an idiot for not doing them a long time ago.

I have a Norgon on the way and will 12o’clock mount a X300 Ultra on a Mossie.

The only down side I’m seeing is having to convert the rest of my ARs over. :shout:

WNY_Whitetailer
05-31-13, 06:34
Just ambi selector...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Dave L.
05-31-13, 07:53
As far as mag catches go, Norgons suck IMHO compared to the Troy, especially for the price.
I have two Norgons and two Troys and I wont be buying any more Norgon catches. They are pretty tough to use on mags with new springs and the button is too close to the bolt catch.

BAD ASS is the only way to go for safeties. I prefer short on my thumb side and short-thin on the other. I also have a BAD CASS and don't really see the need for it.

For charging handles, I prefer the BCM to the Raptor. The Raptor is a great 2nd place product but it's more costly and is almost too streamlined. The BCM just "catches" your hand better for charging. I did however use a Raptor on my 308-AR because it's the only offering in that department but the 556 version I have will be the last one I buy after trying both.

No BAD-idea levers on any of my guns... not sure why people still use them.

CCK
05-31-13, 09:24
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but every rifle of mine has ambi selectors, and armadynamics charging handles, only because Ive had them since they came out and I'm sure the BCM and Raptor are better just not willing to throw the funds at it yet.

The thing I've done differently is I've replaced ALL of my upper receivers with first Les Baer and now Rainier Uppers SANS forward assists.

I find that to be much easier to get to the charging handle and I've never used a FA at any time.

Chris

wilson1911
05-31-13, 10:21
Just came back from 2 Costa classes. My primary gun is a KAC with raptor charging handle, second gun was my noveske with their 45d selector, raptor ch, norgon mag release.

Hands down the KAC is the way to go, but the most important things I found were the ch and ambi safety.

I used single and two point slings. both guns having Noveske end plates,nsr rails with hanguards.

MrCleanOK
05-31-13, 10:55
My rifles get ambi selectors, Norgon ambi catches, and BCM Mod3 charging handles. They also have Noveske QD end plates, but admittedly I don't use them much. I prefer connecting two point slings to QD sockets on the stock.

I'd like to try ambi charging handles, but just haven't felt compelled to spend the extra money and make the switch when the original Gunfighter works for me.

Duffy
06-03-13, 09:46
Retrofit ambidextrous mag releases have compromises, I dare say none works as well as a receiver with one built-in. It's up to the user to pick one whose advantages outweigh its shortcomings.

Norgon's button is stiffer, but it doesn't have some drawbacks other retrofit ambi-mag releases may have.

These points were offered by Robert at Norgon, when we were talking about a new mag release I saw recently that's not mentioned here (Troy and KAC) which point out Norgon Ambi-Catch's advantages as Norgon does not have these issues:

Cams off the receiver to operate (will wear two ruts in the anodizing eventually).
If ice or debris gets under the lever, the lever will not release the magazine.
Projecting end of the lever is a "snag" for battlefield obstacles.
More prone to inadvertent release due to leverage of the projecting lever.

zekus480
06-03-13, 11:43
I had my right arm broken a few months back and made the most of it by training left handed. I installed a BAD-ASS, a Raptor, and had an ASAP on for the longest. I'm not too concerned with having an ambi mag release as I can hit it with either my right thumb when shooting lefty or my right index finger when shooting righty. I can even reach around the mag well to hit the mag release, but that took some getting used to.

trinydex
06-04-13, 17:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6u5rp9Qfpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqiWKcBlOtw

teal blue bravo retrofit ambi bolt catch / release.

does anyone know how well this works?

tostado22
06-04-13, 19:19
that's how I am too actually.

We get to use both sides of the body equally :D

"that dude has his pistol and rifle mags on one side and rifle and pistol mags on the other ....... what's wrong with him?!"

Same here.

I recently added the Troy ambi mag release. I really like the idea behind it but it feels a little rough around the edges. I can't get it set to where it will drop magazines reliably while not having any trouble inserting a fresh mag and grabbing on. It will work for now but I may ditch it and go back to the standard mag catch.

ennbeegunny15
06-16-13, 13:34
Ambi safety, thinking of going ambi ch, just to try it out.

The_Swede
06-16-13, 14:29
Lefty here. I've added an Ambi safety and a Magpul BAD-lever. No problems of any kind with the BAD so far and I like it as a poor mans ambi bolt release.

obucina
06-16-13, 14:33
I made it easy on myself....I bought an SR15:D

VIP3R 237
06-16-13, 14:56
I made it easy on myself....I bought an SR15:D

That is the best thing a lefty can do IMO (an add a raptor or bcm ambi ch, and a BAD-ASS ST selector.) Even though the initial investment is high, the return is so rewarding.

prq9218
06-16-13, 15:15
Raptor charging handle, BAD ambi safety.

danpass
06-21-13, 19:46
Trying to decide between two things at this moment:

- BCM Ambi Ch or Rainier Ambi Raptor

- A typical Ambi safety, basically a mirror image of the typical safety or the BAD ASS.

danpass
07-04-13, 23:57
Trying to decide between this at the moment

- A typical Ambi safety, basically a mirror image of the typical safety or the BAD ASS.
Thoughts?

DiabhailGadhar
07-05-13, 06:42
I used the bad ass and love it compared to the feel of a stock selector. Both for the way it operates and the way it feels. You get, in my opinion, a superior motion to change from fire to safe (I have the 90 degree but will be installing a 45 this weekend).

As far as the charging handle goes. I was running a badger ordnance with the right side tac latch. Which was easier to operate then my current BCM ambi CH. but I did have a the badger snag once and pull my rifle slightly out of battery...I was suddenly on the market for a new CH. The construction of the BCM and ease of function are usual BCM quality which is second to none. I have, for the record, zero experience with the raptor but for the added expense over a BCM I don't really see it being that much better. But I will probably give one a shot when a convert my 20" over from a A4 knock off to the vltor A5.

BWT
07-09-13, 15:50
I like the KAC Ambi Mag release, it gives a lot of leverage and is easy to access. I have Large hands (glove size, they're not huge but not small) I use the entire pad of my left index and first knuckle to depress the KAC release, I'm happy.

I like a full size LMT ambi safer selector, I find it's very fast. I can use my thumb to switch it to fire and index finger of which ever hand to switch it to safe, pretty much without thought. Low profile, short, 45 degree safety levers just do not have much appeal to me what so ever. I can flick it on safe or fire by pushing with my thumb to fire or swiping back to safe without any change in the firing grip.

I want to try an ambi-CH, I've been very happy with the BCM charging handles and throwing my right index finger over the picatinny rail and placing my right thumb on the back of the CH. I need to try one out.

I try to get hand neutral parts as possible.

I'm right handed and left eye dominant, so I'm at least comfortable shooting with both hands.

jstalford
07-09-13, 16:29
Raptor and BAD-ASS on mine.

PT Doc
07-09-13, 17:02
Raptor, BAD ASS and Troy mag release. Didn't care for the Norgon.

Korgs130
07-10-13, 08:59
I'm a southpaw as well. Both of my ARs have:

- Raptor CH
- Troy ambi mag release
- BAD-ASS (Hybrid on left, Short on Right)
- SureFire SR07 Remote Switch @ 12:00

GotAmmo
07-10-13, 09:41
I shoot rifle left handed... pistol right handed and the only thing I have done to my rifles are ambi safety selectors and one of my rifles has the BCM Ambi Charging handle which I have found to be an excellent addition. So I'm getting more for my other rifles and future set ups

Fuzzy-Reticle
07-12-13, 21:50
I am a natural lefty and I have been running the AR platform for almost 30 years. I just learned how to work around my "disability". I try to shoot right handed as much as I shoot lefty. I appreciate the lefty accessory revolution these last few years. I will have to break down and get an ambi charging handle from BCM soon and a BAD-ASS.

The improvements in slings and mounting hardware has been a blessing IMHO for us lefty shooters.

I am also eternally thankful for the case deflector.

Mat
07-12-13, 22:02
I am also eternally thankful for the case deflector.

Amen to that. However I fear you may have invoked a deluge of companies making ambi-shell deflectors.

ZINCOGNITO
07-14-13, 23:31
AX556 lower, BAD CASS 45, Raptor charging handle.

Tactical Joke
07-25-13, 00:58
Started shooting right-handed. :cool:

When I shot lefty, I just adjusted my technique so that I could pick up any standard rifle, or carbine, and make it rock and roll. That said, I would like to try out an ambi safety.

EVR
07-25-13, 09:18
Nothing.

For 4-6 months a year I carry my AR's by a biathlon rig and would actually prefer all controls on the right side of the rifle. I do not compete with the rifles and fast mag changes are not top priority since many times I carry only one anyway. Falls are a part of life while skiing, and multiple controls or modified controls make me nervous of unintentional activation while wearing gloves and/or mittens or when hands are numb.

In summer, it is less of an issue, but I don't want to swap and switch this or that continually so I sort of leave things as they need to be for the worst conditions I use the rifles in.

B+Shooter
07-25-13, 09:38
Troy Ambi Safety & Magazine release. I tried the Norgon before and like the Troy mag release better.
Under full speed, I don't end up using the ambi controls anyways. I find that I subconciously revert back to manipulating the controls in their stock positions becuase that's what I have the most reps doing, and that's okay with me.

danpass
08-15-13, 11:23
Still trying to decide on a mag release (probably KAC; good source?) and which BAD-ASS, 90 or 45 .........

In the meantime, some pics :)

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/s10/v106/p1700599606-4.jpg

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/s10/v112/p1830528308-4.jpg

ColtM4Carbine
08-15-13, 11:30
Still trying to decide on a mag release (probably KAC; good source?) and which BAD-ASS, 90 or 45 .........

I prefer the 45. It's a quick throw and easy to push back to safe.

DiabhailGadhar
08-15-13, 12:27

In the meantime, some pics.

What kind of sling plate is that???

G19DDM4AK74
08-15-13, 12:49
B.A.D. ambi safety selector, BCM ambi charging handle, Norgon ambi mag release.

danpass
08-15-13, 13:03
What kind of sling plate is that???
http://www.ikickhippies.com/

:D

danpass
08-15-13, 13:25
Ok, for the BAD-ASS 45* I see this:

The Short Throw Safety Selector can only be used in 45o compatible lower receivers.

Does that mean the markings? Or is there some actual physical issue?

ZINCOGNITO
08-15-13, 14:39
Ok, for the BAD-ASS 45* I see this:

The Short Throw Safety Selector can only be used in 45o compatible lower receivers.

Does that mean the markings? Or is there some actual physical issue?

The 45 degree selector a pin in known as the "lawyer pin". This lawyer pin can be filed down and be utilized in any lower afterwards. Battle Arms has the pin pictured on their site. Hope that helps.

danpass
08-15-13, 15:26
I see.

I wonder why they would do that .........

So I can file a slot in the lower or file down that nub.

yfz
08-17-13, 10:57
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb474/yfz11/IMG_09031.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/yfz11/media/IMG_09031.jpg.html)

danpass
08-17-13, 11:02
lol, you filed that nub. :D

So it works fine then? There is no other mechanical consideration?

ALCOAR
08-17-13, 11:15
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC03432-1.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/DSC03432-1.jpg.html)

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC03439-1.jpg (http://s888.photobucket.com/user/trident1982/media/DSC03439-1.jpg.html)

Toyoland66
08-17-13, 11:29
Bad-ass 90* selector, short lever left side, standard lever right side.
Troy mag release
BCM a44 charging handle
Noveske endplate
Drop the bolt with firing hand middle/ ring finger

VIP3R 237
08-17-13, 11:34
lol, you filed that nub. :D

So it works fine then? There is no other mechanical consideration?

I have 2 I've done the same and no problems. However it does void the warranty.

jnichols2
08-18-13, 19:38
I bought my Colt LE6920 in January. I learned to deal with the right handed M16 for 30 years in the Air Force. The only thing I thought about changing was to add a brass deflector, surprise - they come stock now.

On my first range trip, I noticed that the bottom knuckle of my trigger finger rested right on the safety lever. It got pretty sore from the recoil. I guess the levers are longer now. While researching for a ambi safety that had a real short lever on the left side, someone told me the Colt safety could be reversed. That saved me $65.

Last month, I removed the carry handle and put an Eotech EXPS3 and a 3x Magnifier, along with a rear BUIS. The magnifier interferes with getting to the charging handle release, so today I bought a BCM Gunfighter ambidextrous charging handle. I'll try it out next range trip.

XxWoodsHunterxX
08-18-13, 21:34
My rifles get ambi selectors, Norgon ambi catches, and BCM Mod3 charging handles. They also have Noveske QD end plates, but admittedly I don't use them much. I prefer connecting two point slings to QD sockets on the stock.

I'd like to try ambi charging handles, but just haven't felt compelled to spend the extra money and make the switch when the original Gunfighter works for me.

How do those norgon ambi catches work. Thought of getting one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD so lay off the spelling critique. Thanks

Mr. Happy
08-27-13, 13:30
I have to admit that an ambi-safety is really low on the list. I've gotten so used to flipping Safe with the top of my index finger (and to Fire with the pad of my index finger).

Of course that's a consequence of not having the option to use my thumb to even try it out.

What you get to do with the BAD ASS is to put a shortie on the left side, and a standard length on the right. This does two things:

1) your trigger finger is not humped over the left lever (the short one ends above the line of the trigger finger), and

2) it allows you to always push to switch the safety: thumb push for fire and trigger finger push for safe. Never pull.

danpass
09-30-13, 18:48
The 45 degree selector a pin in known as the "lawyer pin". This lawyer pin can be filed down and be utilized in any lower afterwards. Battle Arms has the pin pictured on their site. Hope that helps.
Ok. I finally got a bad-ass. This one in 45* with both sides short stubbed.

Filing down that lawyer pin took about 30 seconds.

The throw is perfect except that, due to the shorter lever, the thumb has a tough time lol.

What new free length would people recommend for cutting down the safety/grip spring?

obed_ned
10-23-13, 01:01

What you said- dont like having to reach around to left side to release bolt-

britishtq
10-23-13, 03:26
I've done absolutely nothing to my AR to improve my lefty shooting. I have added a BCM gunfighter charging handle but that will help you left or right handed. I suggest that and learn to shoot your AR left handed with no modifications. You will be able to pick up any AR and operate it the same.

Army Chief
10-23-13, 06:57
How do those norgon ambi catches work. Thought of getting one.

They work great when adjusted properly, and were absolutely the best option until ambi receivers came along.

No doubt a well-designed and executed part. They do take some getting used to, however, as the activation lever is placed fairly high, and depending upon the situation, it can be somewhat stiff to actuate as well. In other words, it is effective and functional, but not always as intuitive as using the standard mag catch/release; especially if you've already been using the latter for years.

Probably still a good idea for a standard receiver retrofit (I still have a few installed), but there are other options out there to consider as well, and now that ambi receivers themselves are more common, there are better means to the same end.

AC

BCSD_405
10-25-13, 04:19
Being a strong dominate lefty, I can appreciate this post. I have owned many different configurations and here is what I've concluded:

Don't care much for Stag's left handed AR's, owned a stag lefty upper and I didn't like not being able to look directly into the chamber without turning my rifle. IMO, its easier to diagnose a malfunction with the ejection port on the right side.

* Raptor charging handle is an absolute must. If you're a left and your not using one, you're missing out. BCM ambi works good too.

* Stag arms makes a lefty safety selector, I like it better than the ambi selector.

* Generally speaking, the mag release and bolt catch are not in a bad spot for us lefties so I don't mess with those. However, if you can't reach the bolt release with you're finger, you may want to look into a left handed option.
just my 2 cents

thehun
10-25-13, 09:24
Simple.

Raptor Charging Handle
Redi-Mag Bolt Closing Lever

While complete ambi is nice, I do not find it necessary as I train with both sides.

Don't over think it, just make it functional for you and not everyone else :neo:

danpass
11-01-13, 12:47
Ok, well I've finally ordered SOMETHING re: an ambi mag release.

KAC Ambi. I shall install it tonight and then run missile drills while I listen to their rock and roll

http://www.danpassaro.com/img/s5/v127/p1032587442-4.jpg

K.L. Davis
11-01-13, 13:50
I see.

I wonder why they would do that .........

So I can file a slot in the lower or file down that nub.
Not sure if someone got this already... the pin keeps you from installing the short throw safety in a "conventional" receiver - the concern is that with the short throw safety in a regular receiver, the selector will not line up with the standard safe/fire markings and you have a rifle that will fire, even though the selector is not in the "fire" position. Again, product liability is a bitch.

I love the BAD-ASS short throw... it is the standard safety on everything I do.

Companies that offer a lower receiver with the clearance hole for the pin will (should) mark the receiver so that the "fire" position indicates both the conventional position and the short throw position.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=687&pictureid=3427

danpass
11-02-13, 08:08
The KAC ambi installed easy but it was immediately clear that the paddle is too far back and in general just too awkward. Taken off.

Troy ambi will be ordered soon lol.

JPB
11-03-13, 00:16
I've been shooting too long to embrace the ambi stuff. It just messes me up. Try to hit the ambi mag release on my SCAR, I drop the bolt. try to hit the bolt release on the same gun , I drop the fresh mag. I learned how to operate right handed guns left handed and I'm stayin that way. I slap the locked CH on the SCAR now.