PDA

View Full Version : Banned Hollow Point ammunition in Greece

learner-gr
05-28-13, 16:22
Sorry if this is not the place for this thread. Mods feel free to move it on the right place.

I think that is about 1-2 years here in Greece that the LAW banned the use of HP ammunition. This is also for the LEO community.

They allow only the FMJ and said that all the countries of the EU allow only to use FMJ and not HPs because of the damage that they do on tissue.

I would like to ask (especially the EU officers) :
1) Is this real on your EU country that you must only use FMJs and not HPs?
2) Is any better to use TMJ than FMJ?
3) Whats the best companies to look in TMJ or FMJ?

Thanks a lot.

balance
05-28-13, 17:48
They allow only the FMJ and said that all the countries of the EU allow only to use FMJ and not HPs because of the damage that they do on tissue.

I believe the Netherlands uses Action 5 and Action Effect ammo, so this has to be false, unless this is qualified as FMJ ammo:

http://www.security-technologynews.com/article/ruag-ammotec-presents-a-unique-family-of-9mm-police-ammunition-with-better-stopping-power-for-law-enforcement.html

A picture of the tip:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-65920762/stock-photo-dutch-police-mm-action-ammunition.html

I have no idea about Greece, but last year I was there on vacation and noticed most of the police were carrying USP pistols, and some around Syntagma Square were carrying MP5s. It never occurred to me to glance at their ammo.

Symmetry
05-28-13, 20:52
I would first check into Greek law and see if it bans just hollow points, or if it bans ALL expanding ammunition types. For instance, there are a number of companies that make expanding bullet designs with either a polymer or lead soft point, or they use a polymer nose encased in a copper jacket which resembles a FMJ.

If you are limited to using non-expanding ammunition, then I would consider using a larger caliber if possible(.45acp), with a flat point.....preferribly a Keith style semiwadcutter.

If you ever read Bullet Penetration by Duncan McPherson, he goes over the amount of tissue that each known bullet type destroys. Generally, the least destructive are going to be round nosed FMJ bullets.

jpmuscle
05-28-13, 23:43

Sure, because getting shot with a FMJ round is by far a more pleasant experience.. :rolleyes:

DIRTMAN556
05-29-13, 01:26
Sure, because getting shot with a FMJ round is by far a more pleasant experience.. :rolleyes:

Hey, to some a straight-through hole might be more pleasant than an expanded hole of flesh.

Neville
05-29-13, 05:06
Austria allows hollowpoints for sport and hunting. We had a total ban but hunters claimed it was inhumane
and sport shooters (bowling pin, etc.) argued against the ban too.

Charlie-2-6
05-29-13, 05:45
In Belgium, HP ammo is only allowed in rifles and carbines. No handguns.
Regular LEO used FMJ in their pistols. Don't know about our SWAT type guys.

Beachboy
05-29-13, 06:27
Austria allows hollowpoints for sport and hunting.

And shooting bad guys is both sport and hunting, so no problem!! Load up with all HP ammo!!!

skullworks
05-29-13, 07:19
Sweden and Finland both use Speer Gold Dot for police use.

Tapatapatapatalk

learner-gr
05-29-13, 07:45

If you are limited to using non-expanding ammunition, then I would consider using a larger caliber if possible(.45acp), .....

I have to add that we must use here only non-expanding ammunition. I wrote for HPs because that ammunition i had in my mind. Sorry for my mistake.

learner-gr
05-29-13, 08:02
I think i will try to find some ammo of this type:
http://www.abload.de/img/fiocchiblackmambai7rv5.jpg

If you see it externally is like FMJ :D

Today because of the above i carry Sellier & Bellot 140gr FMJ and also 124gr.
http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/pistol-and-revolver-detail.php?ammunition=9&product=73

montrala
05-29-13, 10:06
I would like to ask (especially the EU officers) :
1) Is this real on your EU country that you must only use FMJs and not HPs?
2) Is any better to use TMJ than FMJ?
3) Whats the best companies to look in TMJ or FMJ?

1. No, it is not true in my country. I Poland HP is legal both for LE and civilan (both CCW and sport shooting). Banned from civilian use are projectiles designed to fragment on penetration and projectiles with inserts in core that are harder than lead (solid bullets are ok, only jacketed bullers with steel inserts are banned).

There are bullets that are FMJ or TMJ but emulate properties of HP. For example Federal E-FMJ, Lapua CEPP or Sako Combat

RyanB
05-29-13, 10:42
Sweden and Finland both use Speer Gold Dot for police use.

Tapatapatapatalk

France as well, IIRC.

TMS951
05-29-13, 17:31

This line of thinking always blows my mind, I mean is it not the point when shooting some one to do tissue damage?

Shooting some one is a very violent action, with the express intent of ending their lives, but we worry about damaging to much tissue. Maybe they should also ban 9mm and only allow police to carry .22 LR, you know to stop tissue damage and all.

I understand this is Europe, but this shit is coming to a town near you soon enough.

Remember people, when shooting some one, do it as gently as possible.

M&P45
06-07-13, 18:09
Can't use hollow points in NJ unless you're an LEO. Talk about tilting the tables in the favor of the bad guys!