PDA

View Full Version : M&P Magazine Springs?

opngrnd
05-28-13, 23:49
How often do springs need to be changed out in M&P9 Full Size mags if they're left loaded all the time? I know I could wait until there are obvious mags related problems, but I'm a preventive maintenance minded individual. I am planning on getting some from G&R Tactical once they come back in stock. Are there any other places to get magazine springs other than S&W?
I know my M&P45 10 round mag springs wear out faster than I'd like, though the bodies and lips don't give me any trouble. Any place to get springs for the 10 rounders? I don't seem to be the only person thinking that the M&P45 mag springs have a short life span, my buddy's magazines could use new springs as well.
Thanks in advance.

eightmillimeter
05-29-13, 00:59
My department did the first change after five years. I was not having functioning issues but there is a very noticeable difference in length and feel of new springs.

Check Brownells for springs.

dc202
05-29-13, 23:59
The 45 springs are difficult to find and Wolff has yet to offer them

HuttoAg96
05-30-13, 09:44
If you can find them, get some new springs (or at least one), and when you occasionally clean the magazines, compare the old springs to the new one. When the old one is noticeably shorter, replace it. Springs are cheap.

markm
05-30-13, 09:46
Unless defective... NEVER.

A mag spring should well outlast the firearm.

Dos Cylindros
05-30-13, 13:38
I rotate out my M&P 40 duty mags once every six months. They are kept fully loaded when in service while the others take a break. It's not really needed, but it gives me peace of mind. I have no issues thus far in the two years that I have been using this gun for duty carry. All of my mags are still good to go and my M&P has yet to malfunction even once in thousands of rounds. I have not changed spring in any as of yet and don't expect to for quite some time. I have seven Glock 22 mags that saw well over ten years of duty and range use that are still working perfectally.

jaxman7
05-30-13, 14:18
Unless defective... NEVER.

A mag spring should well outlast the firearm.

Not my findings on M&P springs. At least 9mm 17 rounders made in 2009-2010. I bought all mags brand 3 years ago. Replaced a few months ago b/c they were giving me trouble not locking back last round.

The springs I got from Grant were a full inch longer (same # of coils) than the springs giving me trouble. When I get home I'll post a pic if anyone cares.

-Jax

markm
05-30-13, 14:24
Not my findings on M&P springs. At least 9mm 17 rounders made in 2009-2010. I bought all mags brand 3 years ago. Replaced a few months ago b/c they were giving me trouble not locking back last round.

The springs I got from Grant were a full inch longer (same # of coils) than the springs giving me trouble. When I get home I'll post a pic if anyone cares.

-Jax

I don't doubt what you're saying... that's why I qualified my statement with "Unless Defective"

Smith has had a number of defects in the M&P line. Finish, Barrels, etc. A correctly made spring should outlast a pistol though.

jaxman7
05-30-13, 14:58
I don't doubt what you're saying... that's why I qualified my statement with "Unless Defective"

Smith has had a number of defects in the M&P line. Finish, Barrels, etc. A correctly made spring should outlast a pistol though.

Ci Seņor. Didn't mean to sound argumentative. My experience with their spring life has not been stellar. I chalk it up (like other things on the M&P) as growing pains.

-Jax

markm
05-30-13, 15:02
Yeah yeah... I didn't think you were looking for a fight. That's the General Discussion area. :p

jaxman7
05-30-13, 19:51
Yeah yeah... I didn't think you were looking for a fight. That's the General Discussion area. :p

Soooooo what in the $@&# are you trying to imply MarkM? I don't like your $@+#$& attitude. Wanna start some $?%@? Fine let's take this outside (or to the GD).

;)

-Jax