PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Mk 4 1.5-5 MR/T Illum Ret

kaltblitz
04-02-08, 11:02
What is the general consensus on these things? Anyone use one on a patrol rifle? What is the illuminated reticle like? What's battery life like?

Erick Gelhaus
04-02-08, 14:58
Have a couple co-workers using them (carried on patrol & in an EAG 3-day class) and a classmate used one when deployed - Engineer NCO in a not good area, but with minimal bipedal target exposures.

All like them in general & for the scopes functionality as well as positive threat ID. The less than positive rheostat.

On the completely illuminated reticle ... the US optics SN4 that I used had one. Did not like it but that was after years of Aimpoint lone red dot.

SHIVAN
04-02-08, 15:24
Reticle washes out a bit on very brightly lit foreground "targets". Etched glass still gives a crosshair, but not nearly as fast as a red dot or Short Dot.

I have not used it nearly enough to know about battery life, but Leupold optics are not in the same class as Aimpoints. Probably not even in the same galaxy...

Optics are clear, M2 turrets are a breeze to use. At 200yds the BDC works as designed with proper ammo.

Rheostat for illumination is full rotation, non-indexed, and must be placed in the "Off" setting to be turned off. Unlike the Short Dot that has indexes, and can be turned off at any 1/2 increment.

For 1/3 the price of the Short Dot, it simply needs to have a daytime illumination reticle and it would be a complete hit with me, and I might consider it superior to the Short Dot on price alone. I think I got mine for $600.

Grey
04-04-08, 20:45
I have one as well and overall I am pleased with it. I have the same criticism as SHIVAN. I paid about $700.00 for mine. The glass is very clear and I do not regret buying it.

KiraX105
04-07-08, 14:09
I have one and also am pleased with its performance. Like the others said, its not as fast as an aimpoint or an eotech, but then that's what my squad mates are for. Works great for positive target identification.

I get a free supply of batteries for the leupold. It uses the same battery as the Aimpoints.

macman37
04-07-08, 21:06
Love mine. It's on a custom ADCO built SPRish upper. Seriously, a tack driver.

frbowers
04-10-08, 19:41
I have the non-illuminated version and am very pleased with it on my 6920, however there are times when I wish I had gone with the lighted reticle.

USMC03
04-10-08, 19:47
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=4209

ChandlerSniper158
04-15-08, 01:45
I agree 100% with USMC03`s comments on the linked thread.. I use mine pretty much all the time on my work rifle and 3 gun rifle. If the reticle was brighter during the daylight it would be better.. but I`m still very happy with it`s performance.

flanntastic
04-15-08, 12:19
i bought the M4 1.5x5 IR and the VX-III in 1.5-5 Ir and they are both nice, the VX-III is $200 cheaper but i like the knobs better on the Mk4