PDA

View Full Version : Barrel coating question

SWThomas
05-29-13, 08:56
I have a 14.5" BCM BFH with a Troy VTAC Alpha Rail covering it. I want to coat the barrel matt-black for two reasons: 1) It looks cool, and 2) So I don't have remove the rail periodically to clean and apply oil to the barrel underneath to prevent corrosion.

I have a permanently attached muzzle device, which means I won't be able to take off the low-pro gas block or the barrel nut. I will remove the gas tube though. Do you guys see any issues with coating and baking the barrel with these components still installed?

Edit: I plan on doing the coating job myself...

crusader377
05-29-13, 09:16
I have a 14.5" BCM BFH with a Troy VTAC Alpha Rail covering it. I want to coat the barrel matt-black for two reasons: 1) It looks cool, and 2) So I don't have remove the rail periodically to clean and apply oil to the barrel underneath to prevent corrosion.

I have a permanently attached muzzle device, which means I won't be able to take off the low-pro gas block or the barrel nut. I will remove the gas tube though. Do you guys see any issues with coating and baking the barrel with these components still installed?

I personally think that you are wasting your money on this project. The BCM barrels are parkerized and have very good protective qualities against corrosion as is. If you really want to clean underneath your handguard you can probably use brake cleaner or an air hose with the spray on CLP. Second, the BCM barrel is already sort of a black color anyway, are you really going to spend a hundred or two hundred dollars in order to look more cool:confused:. I would spend that money on more ammo or magazines myself or if you want something nice to look at invest in some art work or photographs for your home instead and ogling over a barrel.

SWThomas
05-29-13, 09:24
I personally think that you are wasting your money on this project. The BCM barrels are parkerized and have very good protective qualities against corrosion as is. If you really want to clean underneath your handguard you can probably use brake cleaner or an air hose with the spray on CLP. Second, the BCM barrel is already sort of a black color anyway, are you really going to spend a hundred or two hundred dollars in order to look more cool:confused:. I would spend that money on more ammo or magazines myself or if you want something nice to look at invest in some art work or photographs for your home instead and ogling over a barrel.

I'm not going to spend more than $20 on this project. I was planning to coat it myself and bake it myself.

The BCM barrel is coated to the same spec as military rifles. I've seen military rifles develop surface rust many, many times underneath the handguards.

MistWolf
05-29-13, 09:48
There will be no problem with painting your barrel with the muzzle device and gas block in place. Just tape off anything you don't want coated.

Parkerizing protects steel from corrosion by being porous to hold in oil. Parkerizing needs to be re-oiled now and again

Berserkr556
05-29-13, 09:52
I don't think you would have any issues baking your bbl. with the components installed. Your oven is only going to be 250 to 300 degrees to cure the coating. Your gas block and muzzle device are subjected to higher tempertures while shooting. This is just my opinion, maybe someone with more experience will tell you different.

Personally i wouldn't bother with any coating. I have two BCM carbines with rails and neither have any rust on the barrel and i shoot in the rain, snow etc. I use a can of electrical cleaner or non-chlorinated brake cleaner to clean my bbl. I put the red plastic nozzle extension, looks like a small straw, in the can and stick it through the holes in the rail and spray away. Then blow it dry with air and apply some weapon shield oil to the bbl., let it sit for a bit and blow off the excess.

SWThomas
05-29-13, 12:40
I don't think you would have any issues baking your bbl. with the components installed. Your oven is only going to be 250 to 300 degrees to cure the coating. Your gas block and muzzle device are subjected to higher tempertures while shooting. This is just my opinion, maybe someone with more experience will tell you different.

Personally i wouldn't bother with any coating. I have two BCM carbines with rails and neither have any rust on the barrel and i shoot in the rain, snow etc. I use a can of electrical cleaner or non-chlorinated brake cleaner to clean my bbl. I put the red plastic nozzle extension, looks like a small straw, in the can and stick it through the holes in the rail and spray away. Then blow it dry with air and apply some weapon shield oil to the bbl., let it sit for a bit and blow off the excess.

Thanks for the info. The primary reason I want to coat it is so I won't have to oil it. I'll just blast it off with my air compressor and be done with it, like I do with the Cerakoted barrel on my GAP-10.