PDA

View Full Version : Bolt to carrier install and considerations

jerrysimons
05-29-13, 09:06
I have a Noveske upper with a factory head spaced bolt included but without a carrier assembly arriving shortly. What must I take into consideration when finding a carrier to mate with the bolt? I know i am looking for one from a reputable company with an auto profile, staked gas key, and preferably no laser etched logo. Mil-spec phosphate will do for finish since reports on here indicate the slick BCG coatings can actually increase recoil as carrier velocity increases with less friction.

This BC seems to fit the ticket, no? Is their anything I am missing?
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/m16-bolt-carrier-group.html

Is there any installation procedures I should be aware of? I have never disassembled a BCG before.

Thanks M4C!

markm
05-29-13, 09:21
What must I take into consideration when finding a carrier to mate with the bolt?

Nothing other than getting a decent one like you said.

Mil-spec phosphate will do for finish since reports on here indicate the slick BCG coatings can actually increase recoil as carrier velocity increases with less friction.

That sounds like some straight up ARFcom retarded overthinking right there. :rolleyes:

justin_247
05-29-13, 09:28
Mil-spec phosphate will do for finish since reports on here indicate the slick BCG coatings can actually increase recoil as carrier velocity increases with less friction.

The problem with many of the chrome coatings that bolts and carriers have is that they are applied after the manufacturing process, and the new coating's additional thickness may be out of tolerance.

The key is, if you're going to use chrome, buy it from a manufacturer who does it as part of the original manufacturing process, not after it.

You shouldn't have any problems with NiB coatings.

jerrysimons
05-29-13, 09:36
Nothing other than getting a decent one like you said.

That sounds like some straight up ARFcom retarded overthinking right there. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.

I picked that up from this thread:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=121975
BuforTJustice and jaxman7 attested to it, but then again they are running heavier buffers and LMT enhanced carriers to compensate. I don't want to have to do that. I am thinking A5H2 and call it good on the buffer.