PDA

View Full Version : McMillan Stocks for the Ruger Gun Site

8th
05-29-13, 09:49
I got official word yesterday that McMillan is now offering stocks for the Ruger Gunsite. I for one am pretty excited about this as the biggest draw back to the Ruger is the stock in my opinion. I am just not a fan of the laminate, and wasn't able to source one of the walnut versions. A big thanks goes out to Ryan Melancon at McMillan who I first talked to at Shot about this project. Of all the folks I talked to McMillan/Ryan were the ones who were willing to see if it was possible and then go on to make it happen. I had the opportunity to visit McMillan last week and check out my rifle in one of the mock up stocks and I think I will be very happy when I get my rifle with the HTG I have on order for it.

The following stocks are available for the Ruger Gunsite: MK II Classic, MK II Hunter, MK II Varmint, HTG, A-TH, A3, A3-5, and A5. Apparently, on the tactical stocks the bottom piece will be slightly recessed.

For those wondering Edge stocks will not be available.

C-grunt
05-29-13, 20:46
The stock was really the only thing I didn't like about the GSR. With new stocks available its now on the "buy list".

mark5pt56
05-30-13, 06:08
I wonder if Manners will make something of the sort? I personally dislike the Ruger stock as well. I know they try to accommodate all shooters with the spacer system, but dang it's hideous. Hey, maybe XLR Industries could make the chassis inlet for the Ruger?

If I get one, I would do the 18" version they now have.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-30-13, 11:02
I have thought about this many times! Any stock you want is doable, all you would have to do it order the stock you want without a receiver cut out, or if you have a stock already fill in the cutout and re machine.

8th
05-30-13, 11:09
At least for the HTG going to an Edge would save 4 ozs, and for me that is not a big enough weight savings to offset a less durable stock.

I actually pitched a traditional sporter folder to Manners at Shot and to Ryan last week.

Manners already makes a folder, but it is only available in two tactical models. They didn't think they would be able to come up with a lighter weight folding mechanism that was still sturdy and reliable enough to meet their standards, which I understand and respect. I forget the weight now, but the current folding system is bombproof, but the weight reflects that so just putting it in a sporter style stock would still give you too heavy a stock to work with. At that time they had no plans for making stocks for the RGS, and weren't interested in starting.

McMillan also has a folding stock, but it is a pistol grip model. It is also lighter than the Manners if memory serves. To be honest if I hadn't wanted an excuse to get an HTG for years I very well might have ordered one, and I still might for another rifle just to experiment with it. From what Ryan said they aren't really that good a seller so they are leery of spending the time and money to prototype a new one, which again I can understand and respect.

Finally, I have heard rumors that Mcree will make one of their chassis for the RGS, but I haven't confirmed that. I believe they have a folding option.

I am not done on this front, but at this point it is not something we are actively working on.