PDA

View Full Version : Any Isle of Man TT fans?

austinN4
05-29-13, 11:04
In the USA, Discovery’s Velocity Chanel will screen seven, hour-long specialty programs titled “Isle of Man TT 2013″ that will recap that day’s racing.

The recap broadcasts will begin at 10 p.m. EDT Sunday, June 2, and continue at the same time every night until the final airing on Saturday, June 8. The programs will also be rebroadcast on Velocity the following day at 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Edited to add: For those that don't know what either the Isle of man or the TT are: http://www.iomtt.com/TT-2013.aspx

Ryno12
05-29-13, 11:13
DVR already set, but thanks for the reminder.

Some of my old teammates & I used to have pipe dreams about doing the TT. Never happened though... probably for the better. Who knows if I'd be alive to talk about it.

Tell me that wouldn't be a blast being the monkey on them sidebars though!

Sent via Tapatalk

austinN4
05-29-13, 11:15
Tell me that wouldn't be a blast being the monkey on them sidebars though!
The sidecars are my favorite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp28Dev-pOc

Ned Christiansen
05-29-13, 11:22
Always thought it would be great to attend, or to ride itif I only had months to live anyway :D

Every once in a while I wish I hadn't fired both Dish Network and Direct TV, but then I remember how they were both so expensive for crappy programming. To get the 10 channels I wanted I hadda buy 200 other channels of garbage. I had the Best Bra Ever channel 24-7 on three channels!

Any info as to how it might be viewed on the 'net?

austinN4
05-29-13, 11:25
Any info as to how it might be viewed on the 'net?
Try the first link I posted, which is the TT web site. The may be some info there.

Ryno12
05-29-13, 11:26
Try the first link I posted, which is the TT web site. The may be some info there.

I actually just looked there. Looked like only live timing & scoring. I'm sure they'd post videos up later.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ryno12
05-29-13, 11:35
I sure miss the Joey Dunlop days. Listening to his interviews were just as entertaining as watching him ride. RIP Joey.

Of course McGuiness is fun to watch too... I just can't imagine the amount of "track" time it takes to get that good at the TT. I assume, being a 37+ mile street course, these guys can ride around at speed limits throughout the year just to learn the course. Not like you can rent the track for a few days a year to lap it at speed.

Sent via Tapatalk

austinN4
05-29-13, 11:45
Always thought it would be great to attend, or to ride itif I only had months to live anyway :D

Between 1907 and the the end of 2009 TT races period there have been 240 rider deaths during official practices or races on the Snaefell Mountain Course.

One dead already this year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/22684974

gunrunner505
05-29-13, 12:42
Going to see the TT in person before they shut it down is on my list to do. Awesome race.

I can see me dragging a knee as I hustle the Ultra Classic around the course with Stevie Ray on the CD player. :D

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Ryno12
05-29-13, 15:16
I can see me dragging a knee as I hustle the Ultra Classic around the course with Stevie Ray on the CD player. :D

"Sparks would be flyin' but she'd be fun tryin'" :)

Sent via Tapatalk

gunrunner505
05-29-13, 15:24
"Sparks would be flyin' but she'd be fun tryin'" :)

Sent via Tapatalk

And damn, I'd look GOOD!!!

TAZ
05-29-13, 20:56
The sidecars are my favorite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp28Dev-pOc

My next door neighbors back in the old country used to race those. Had many a fun times building and riding those things. Nothing like a 2 stroke 1100cc bike trying to run out from under you as you hang on for dear life in the side car.

Ryno12
05-29-13, 21:21
Yeah, that's cool stuff. I think sidecar racing is way underrated. Bike racing overall is underrated, especially here in the US. Such a shame.
I'll be attending the AMA races this weekend at Road America. They used to have a sidecar series that competed at RA the same weekend as AMA. It was a small class but still a lot of fun to watch.

Sent via Tapatalk

Jer
05-29-13, 23:40
I sure miss the Joey Dunlop days.

I'm sad to admit that I haven't followed it much since. :(

austinN4
05-30-13, 07:50
Bike racing overall is underrated, especially here in the US. Such a shame.
MotoGP came to COTA in Austin last month. There is hope.

This kid (Marc Marquez) is really going to be something:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtAYl2kpOwc

Ryno12
05-30-13, 08:16
MotoGP came to COTA in Austin last month. There is hope.

This kid (Marc Marquez) is really going to be something:

Yeah, that kid is fun to watch! He's definitely gonna be the one to beat. I'm bummed about Spies. I hope he's not on his downhill slide. I ran against him several years ago & even though he was just a kid then, he was very fast & had a great demeanor. I always root for him.

You guys have got an absolutely beautiful track down there by you. My dad lives Texas, albeit Dallas area, but I'd like to attend an F1 or MotoGP race there sometime.
There has been some awesome tracks popping up in the US that rival European tracks over the last few years, hopefully that will renew the spark in any road course style competitions. I'm local to Road America & while it had at one time ruled the roost of road courses in the states, it has really let's itself go. Once you start to lose attendance, it's all downhill from there.
Not trying to start anything & I'm not bashing NASCAR (or as I call it, NAPCAR) but the popularity of it absolutely slays me when there are motorsports out there like MotoGP, WSB, AMA, F1, etc.. I'll never understand it..

Sent via Tapatalk

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 08:32
A couple guys I work with went down to Austin for the race. I would have gone if not for the fact it was the same weekend my youngest turned 1. Can't miss that.

Motorcycle racing is not packaged at all well for the US market. DSG has pretty much destroyed the AMA. Nobody packages their racing quite like NASCAR. They have a big time hugely loyal following. DSG should take a few pages from their book. Right now I can't even watch the races as Speed channel doesn't carry them anymore and I don't have the Al Jazzera sports channel that does. Sucks...

austinN4
05-30-13, 08:35
I'm local to Road America & while it had at one time ruled the roost of road courses in the states, it has really let's itself go.
Sorry to hear that. That is what happened to Mosport (Ontario) and Watkins Glen (New York), 2 of my favorite tracks. Both hosted F1 at one time and WG is making a comeback.

But we still have Road Atlanta, Road America, Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca.

austinN4
05-30-13, 08:38
Right now I can't even watch the races as Speed channel doesn't carry them anymore.......
I thought SPEED broadcast the COTA live? If not SPEED, then it was NBCSportsHD.

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 08:40
I thought SPEED broadcast the COTA live? If not SPEED, then it was NBCSportsHD.

I don't get the HD lineup. Either way I was out of town for my sons birthday. I did have a shirt brought back though.

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 08:54
Sorry to hear that. That is what happened to Mosport (Ontario) and Watkins Glen (New York), 2 of my favorite tracks. Both hosted F1 at one time and WG is making a comeback.

But we still have Road Atlanta, Road America, Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca.

Laguna Seca is my all time favorite track. The carousel turn is awesome....

Ryno12
05-30-13, 08:57
A couple guys I work with went down to Austin for the race. I would have gone if not for the fact it was the same weekend my youngest turned 1. Can't miss that.
Lame excuse! :D J/K

Motorcycle racing is not packaged at all well for the US market. DSG has pretty much destroyed the AMA.

You're absolutely correct. Once they took over the AMA, it all went downhill. I used used to love watching the 200. After they changed it from Super Bike to Sportbike I lost some interest. They need to go back to the same setup before the takeover. For awhile they were doing rolling starts... Lame! If they wanted to change things up, go back to a Le Mans style start. Those are fun!
Speeds coverage also aided in its demise. They'd televise the crew putting stickers on a NASCAR live then have an AMA SBK race on at 2am...

Sent via Tapatalk

Eurodriver
05-30-13, 09:01
The Best Isle of Man TT video ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph0SjLC_lqk

Ryno12
05-30-13, 09:04
Laguna Seca is my all time favorite track. The carousel turn is awesome....

Yeah, I hear ya. I even named my dog Seca after Laguna Seca. I still remember going through the Corkscrew my first time. What a blast! It also happened to be a World SBK weekend, so seeing some guys I've idolized on tv, up close & personal, made it a weekend I'll never forget.

Sent via Tapatalk

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 09:27
Lame excuse! :D J/K

You're absolutely correct. Once they took over the AMA, it all went downhill. I used used to love watching the 200. After they changed it from Super Bike to Sportbike I lost some interest. They need to go back to the same setup before the takeover. For awhile they were doing rolling starts... Lame! If they wanted to change things up, go back to a Le Mans style start. Those are fun!
Speeds coverage also aided in its demise. They'd televise the crew putting stickers on a NASCAR live then have an AMA SBK race on at 2am...

Sent via Tapatalk

That was exactly what my 2 buddies told me when I said I wasn't going. :D

We went up to Road America a couple years ago for the AMA weekend. Rode the bikes. It was a good time. My one friend has since sold his Ninja 600 as he doesn't like street riding and wasn't doing track days much anymore.

My friend that did track days said the exact same thing. You sport bike guys must all read the same book. But you are right. Let's show an old NASCAR race from 1975 rather than live WSBK or MotoGP. LAME!!!!!

That's it. We need to start a TV station that doesn't suck....

Jer
05-30-13, 10:17
Yeah, I hear ya. I even named my dog Seca after Laguna Seca. I still remember going through the Corkscrew my first time. What a blast! It also happened to be a World SBK weekend, so seeing some guys I've idolized on tv, up close & personal, made it a weekend I'll never forget.

Sent via Tapatalk

I still remember my first time through the corkscrew too. I came over the rise on top and the front wheel came up as I was looking straight down. I almost panicked before my front wheel finally came down and I was able to make the right turn at the bottom before the edge of the track. lol I was not expecting that. It's one thing to see it on TV, quite another to see it in person but to actually take a bike out on it is a whole other beast entirely. You don't realize how steep that is and how this affects the bike until you're on it. Such an amazing track!

austinN4
05-30-13, 11:15
The Best Isle of Man TT video everhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph0SjLC_lqk
Nice!

skydivr
05-30-13, 11:21
Love the IoM stuff, but I can't hardly keep up with MotoGP right now. I rode Barber 2 weeks ago with a bunch of AMA racers - they are totally on a different level - but I do have a couple of good pics of Dane Wesby and Benny Solis right on my tail :)

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 11:56
I like sport bikes and watching the racing. Those high level guys like Rossi are amazing.

I'd like to try it out but I just flat do not fit on a sport bike. Hence we ride the Geezer Glide.

Ryno12
05-30-13, 12:21
I still remember my first time through the corkscrew too. I came over the rise on top and the front wheel came up as I was looking straight down. I almost panicked before my front wheel finally came down and I was able to make the right turn at the bottom before the edge of the track. lol I was not expecting that. It's one thing to see it on TV, quite another to see it in person but to actually take a bike out on it is a whole other beast entirely. You don't realize how steep that is and how this affects the bike until you're on it. Such an amazing track!

You've got that right! I've over-cooked the left hander entrance on top of the CS a time or two. I never really did get to the point where I felt I was nailing it. At best, I was managing it...

The "Gravity Cavity" at Road Atlanta and "The Kink" at Road America were two of my other favs but neither of those no longer exist. Too bad...

Ryno12
05-30-13, 12:29
I like sport bikes and watching the racing. Those high level guys like Rossi are amazing.

I'd like to try it out but I just flat do not fit on a sport bike. Hence we ride the Geezer Glide.

You'd be amazed at size of some of the guys I've seen ride. :eek: They weren't fast but it didn't matter, they were having fun. That's what it's all about.

Bring the U.C. up to RA. They let fans do a track ride during the breaks. It's paced but at least you get to check it out from a different angle.

Todd00000
05-30-13, 12:30
Love the TT way beyond my skill level though.

skydivr
05-30-13, 12:40
My motto:

If you can't be fast, you gotta LOOK GOOD :)

https://mpusdw.bay.livefilestore.com/y2pwbMSs1OI-34F0TC2tOjxsD38xjwR_mmcb-C4NBb56wCYAnVhdjb73mjTGfxAVr3feli42fpGOaaXMSI6vHyGncgZxDvSF9hZyxhP8w8BaN0/188092%20(Large).jpg?psid=1

https://kfusdw.bay.livefilestore.com/y2pSXU9O9PkcrzLSQWfbdthPvWhk0lyymp2IW6DOogQ9hWElMVUuenDAXPrwtbvtZNzUS8YRRycprlsUY3E0BP1cV5ALI_3r4Rwn0EtC9fn0FA/188097%20(Large).jpg?psid=1

Ryno12
05-30-13, 12:40
Love the TT way beyond my skill level though.

At least your frame slider is unscathed! That's a good sign. ;) Not sure how often you do track days but I'd recommend wire tying your front calipers. Sucks when those come loose! :eek:

Todd00000
05-30-13, 12:44
At least your frame slider is unscathed! That's a good sign. ;) Not sure how often you do track days but I'd recommend wire tying your front calipers. Sucks when those come loose! :eek:

Being active duty about once a year. Where could I order pre-drilled bolts for them?

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 12:45
You'd be amazed at size of some of the guys I've seen ride. :eek: They weren't fast but it didn't matter, they were having fun. That's what it's all about.

Bring the U.C. up to RA. They let fans do a track ride during the breaks. It's paced but at least you get to check it out from a different angle.

I'm 6'4" and a biscuit shy of 300 pounds. I've tried riding them and I'm just not built for it. The pegs are way too high for me. Shifter and brake pedals are a mess. I'm all folded and scrunched, just doesn't work. I took my oldest son to a track day at the Autobahn country club down by Joliet a while ago to watch my friend go around. There are some burly dudes out there for sure. My son loved it.

Ryno12
05-30-13, 12:48
My motto:

https://mpusdw.bay.livefilestore.com/y2pwbMSs1OI-34F0TC2tOjxsD38xjwR_mmcb-C4NBb56wCYAnVhdjb73mjTGfxAVr3feli42fpGOaaXMSI6vHyGncgZxDvSF9hZyxhP8w8BaN0/188092%20(Large).jpg?psid=1

https://kfusdw.bay.livefilestore.com/y2pSXU9O9PkcrzLSQWfbdthPvWhk0lyymp2IW6DOogQ9hWElMVUuenDAXPrwtbvtZNzUS8YRRycprlsUY3E0BP1cV5ALI_3r4Rwn0EtC9fn0FA/188097%20(Large).jpg?psid=1

"Mat Mladin... eat your heart out!" :dirol:

Todd00000
05-30-13, 12:49
I'm 6'4" and a biscuit shy of 300 pounds. I've tried riding them and I'm just not built for it. The pegs are way too high for me. Shifter and brake pedals are a mess. I'm all folded and scrunched, just doesn't work. I took my oldest son to a track day at the Autobahn country club down by Joliet a while ago to watch my friend go around. There are some burly dudes out there for sure. My son loved it.

My best bud is 6'2" 240 and he loves his KTM 990 Super Duke.

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 12:50
My motto:

I see a knee puck dragging in both of those Mr. Spies. Good deal.

That's my motto too. The blue UC looks gooooood.......

Ryno12
05-30-13, 12:59
Being active duty about once a year. Where could I order pre-drilled bolts for them?

We've always just drilled them ourselves. Anything containing fluid and any critical components you'll want to safety wire. Probably break a few bits but it's better than the alternative. If there is a pin or something that secures the pads in the calibers, you'll want to do those also. Axles and axle nuts are also worthy.

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 13:02
We've always just drilled them ourselves. Anything containing fluid and any critical components you'll want to safety wire. Probably break a few bits but it's better than the alternative. If there is a pin or something that secures the pads in the calibers, you'll want to do those also. Axles and axle nuts are also worthy.

Oil drain plug as well. It would suck out loud if that were to fall out.

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 13:05
My best bud is 6'2" 240 and he loves his KTM 990 Super Duke.

I have the Harley, pretty sure the little woman won't go for a sport bike on top of it. Even if I did fit on it. Plus, since I had to sell my Corvette after we had our 3rd child, the wife has approved a mid 60's Chevelle as a replacement so I'm on the prowl for of those soon. :)

ETA: Get home safe Todd. Just saw you're in SA.

Todd00000
05-30-13, 13:15
Oil drain plug as well. It would suck out loud if that were to fall out.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2Oil drain plugs are optional at most track days depending on the style, but oil filters and plastic fill plugs usually have to be wired.

I have the Harley, pretty sure the little woman won't go for a sport bike on top of it. Even if I did fit on it. Plus, since I had to sell my Corvette after we had our 3rd child, the wife has approved a mid 60's Chevelle as a replacement so I'm on the prowl for of those soon. :)

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2This KTM is a standard bike with sport engine and suspension.

Keep the Corvette.

gunrunner505
05-30-13, 13:21
Oil drain plugs are optional at most track days depending on the style, but oil filters and plastic fill plugs usually have to be wired.

This KTM is a standard bike with sport engine and suspension.

Keep the Corvette.

Vette is already gone.

Must have been needed for Autobahn, I drilled my friends for him.

skydivr
05-30-13, 13:29

My trackday provider only requires saftey wire on Oil filter, bolt and filler plug (for Intermediate and Advanced; silicone is good enough for Novice). Since I'm putting on a new set of tires every weekend, and torque to spec, I haven't wired the caliper/axle/pinch bolts (yet). Now, if I were racing (waay too old) then I'd do all that. One of these days I probably will anyway.

Ryno12
05-30-13, 13:33
Oil drain plugs are optional at most track days depending on the style, but oil filters and plastic fill plugs usually have to be wired.

Optional? Really? I figured they were more lenient on track days but I wouldn't have guessed that. For us, if it has coolant(water) and oil behind it, it was mandatory that it needed to be tied... fillers, drains, anything. I always took it to the next level and did my banjo bolts too. That fluid is under a lot of pressure, last thing a guy needs is leak that's spraying against a tire.

Ryno12
05-30-13, 13:47
My trackday provider only requires saftey wire on Oil filter, bolt and filler plug (for Intermediate and Advanced; silicone is good enough for Novice). Since I'm putting on a new set of tires every weekend, and torque to spec, I haven't wired the caliper/axle/pinch bolts (yet). Now, if I were racing (waay too old) then I'd do all that. One of these days I probably will anyway.

I would if I were you. What the difference if your doing 180 (heck, even just 80) and your pinch bolts come loose, just because it's a track day and you're not competing, doesn't mean it's not gonna hurt any less. I've highsided in 1st gear, doing less than 50 mph... weird shit happens.

Todd00000
05-30-13, 14:11
I would if I were you. What the difference if your doing 180 (heck, even just 80) and your pinch bolts come loose, just because it's a track day and you're not competing, doesn't mean it's not gonna hurt any less. I've highsided in 1st gear, doing less than 50 mph... weird shit happens.

Do you know a place I can order pre drilled bolts?

Ryno12
05-30-13, 14:26
Do you know a place I can order pre drilled bolts?

Sorry, I don't. (post #40) ;)

ETA: just did a quick Google check & found this place: http://www.pro-bolt.com/

Sent via Tapatalk

Todd00000
05-30-13, 14:44
Sorry, I don't. (post #40) ;)

ETA: just did a quick Google check & found this place: http://www.pro-bolt.com/

Sent via Tapatalk

Thanks.

Mjolnir
05-31-13, 05:58
Awesome stuff. I like all (most) Motorsport and bikes are very interesting to me.

Impressive riding from those guys!

"One man with courage makes a majority."

M4arc
05-31-13, 07:33
DVD is set to record! Between the Muddy Creek AMA National and IoM it will be a great Saturday and Sunday! I might even be able to get some riding in myself!

Ned Christiansen
05-31-13, 23:24
Holy crap! That YouTube, at 3:35-- the guy is leaned over, AND in a wheelie, AND crossed up, and even drifting a little. Shyikes almighty!

Ryno12
05-31-13, 23:41
Holy crap! That YouTube, at 3:35-- the guy is leaned over, AND in a wheelie, AND crossed up, and even drifting a little. Shyikes almighty!

Just another day at park. ;)

Yeah, that's cool shit. You don't see that in NASCAR!!

Sent via Tapatalk

Ned Christiansen
06-01-13, 10:22
I used to safety wire the oil filter on the Ducati by putting a big hose clamp around it and then safety wiring that. Honestly I was surprised it passed muster but that's what guys were doing.

Ryno12
06-01-13, 10:52
I used to safety wire the oil filter on the Ducati by putting a big hose clamp around it and then safety wiring that. Honestly I was surprised it passed muster but that's what guys were doing.

Yep, that was always pretty much the SOP. Always passed tech

Sent via Tapatalk

gunrunner505
06-01-13, 12:01
You guys have to dump traditional coolant and run either plain water or something without glycol in it?

Ryno12
06-01-13, 12:24
You guys have to dump traditional coolant and run either plain water or something without glycol in it?

Yeah, we used Water Wetter mixed with water.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=10

Up at the AMA races at RA right now. Here's some pics of the team I was riding for in the pic in my avatar. Obviously we weren't KTM at the time...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/02/e7uhezyt.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/02/a5u2y5em.jpg

Todd00000
06-01-13, 12:25

Yes, but when I answered "air" to what was in my radiator he thought I was being a smart ass. LOL

skydivr
06-01-13, 13:32

That's what I do...

+1 water wetter....