PDA

View Full Version : I'm soooo glad they're thinking straight

BrigandTwoFour
05-29-13, 18:25
Today, the California state senate passed a battery of bills. They will likely sail through the assembly and end up on the governor's desk (who may or may not sign them....probably will).

Among these bills:

SB 47 by Sen. Leland Yee, D-San Francisco: bans so-called "bullet buttons" and includes any bullet-buttoned rifle into an expanded definition of assault weapon

SB 53 by Sen. Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles: creates new state permits that require background checks for buyers of ammunition

SB 374 by Sen. Darrell Steinberg, D-Sacramento: going above and beyond Leeland Yee, this bill redefines ANY semi-automatic, rimfire, or center-fire rifle with a detachable magazine as an assault weapon, and requires registration. Also classifies ANY rifle with a fixed/internal magazine with a capacity greater than 10 rounds as an assault weapon. Rimfire isn't spared here (that means you, Marlin Model 60)

SB 396 by Sen. Loni Hancock, D-Berkeley: bans possession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition

SB 567 by Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, D-Santa Barbara: changes the definition of certain kinds of shotguns to make them assault weapons

SB 683 by Sen. Marty Block, D-San Diego: requires all gun buyers to take a firearm safety class and earn a safety certificate (formerly just handguns)

SB 755 by Sen. Lois Wolk, D-Davis: increases the number of crimes - including drug addiction, chronic alcoholism and others - that result in a 10-year ban on being allowed to own a gun

So, as an active duty military officer who the US government has (at various points) entrusted with the launch keys, enable codes, launch codes, and authenticators to our nation's nuclear weapons, I am now too untrustworthy to own the items in my safe. After having jumped through every hoop and made every modification required to comply with this state's stupid laws before the Air Force PCSd me here early this year, it's all for naught.

Meanwhile, the state continues to carve out exceptions for current and retired police officers, like Christopher Dorner, who have proven to be so trustworthy with these weapons.

Zane1844
05-29-13, 18:34
Yeah...this is exactly why I am moving from here. Well, part of the reason.

So does anyone know exactly what I will have to do with my assault weapons if this stupidity passes?

I'd seriously have to registor them? Are you kidding me? I think I have to take refugee into America simply to avoid being persecuted from crimes that these clowns keep writing.

BrigandTwoFour
05-29-13, 18:45
My understanding at the moment is that anything that falls under the new expanded definitions of assault weapon must be registered on or before July 14, 2014. I'm sure the registry will close after that and no "new" rifles will be permitted.

This also goes along with the new "clarification" from the CA DoJ that no new pistols can be added to the "safe" pistol roster for sale to non-LEO personnel unless they are designed with imprinting tech. Again, effectively ending the import or sale of any new pistol that isn't already on the roster.

The vagueness of the law also irritates me. The phrasing of "any semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle...." can be construed to include ANY rifle to include bolt guns and lever action. I know the state has long gun registration going into effect starting 1 Jan 2014 for all new rifle sales, and I'm wondering if this is an attempt to include all previously sold rifles in a registry as well. But by this definition, a Remington 700 with detachable bottom metal kit would be an assault weapon and not allowed in the state.

Peshawar
05-29-13, 19:14
The only ray of sunshine is the chance that this new registration will allow me to ditch the mag locks on my currently owned weapons. That's looking on the bright side.... right? :mad:

Koshinn
05-29-13, 19:17
The only ray of sunshine is the chance that this new registration will allow me to ditch the mag locks on my currently owned weapons. That's looking on the bright side.... right? :mad:

Kind of like the safe act regarding "assault weapons", it removes all the preban nonsense and allows all rifles to be full featured. Then it bans all new ones after that point.

Peshawar
05-29-13, 19:21
Exactly. That's why I've got a bunch of stuff on order right now. Want to make it in under the radar before the rush starts up again. It might not happen, but I want to be prepared this time.

PA PATRIOT
05-29-13, 19:45
California is so far past saving it really does not matter what the state law makers happen to do from this point forward regarding gun ownership.

Plenty of free states who are happy to allow you and your guns to move into their areas.

TAZ
05-29-13, 20:41
That sux for you guys behind enemy lines, especially those that do not have the ability to move out. At least it may give you a little over a year to find out of state job and holes or storage facilities if you're close to the border.

So essentially Commiefornia has put an end to any new handguns entering the state. Same for most semi auto rifles and maybe even shotguns.

And remind me again why gun and ammo manufacturers ship anything to that place?? Oh yeah, they are too stupid to realize they are cutting off their noses to spite their faces.

Koshinn
05-29-13, 21:03
Not 30 minutes ago I walked past a bar in San Francisco. A guy was having a drink with what I imagine is his girlfriend. He had headphones half in as he talked to her... Very classy.

I couldn't help but overhear their "conversation" which was more like a monologue. He said, and I quote, "if our government becomes tyrannical, no amount of guns in the world would help."

If my Mom and Aunt weren't with me, I'd have taken a seat at their table and had a friendly discussion about treating a lady with respect, then about how wrong his views are.

But honestly, I can't say I'm surprised.

Caeser25
05-29-13, 21:22
I wonder how many criminals will follow these laws even though they don't follow the current ones:rolleyes:

California needs to just get it over with, ban everything and start confiscating them. It can't better until it gets worse.

feedramp
05-29-13, 21:33
I wonder how many criminals will follow these laws even though they don't follow the current ones:rolleyes:

California needs to just get it over with, ban everything and start confiscating them. It can't better until it gets worse.

Well, since these laws make good people criminals, the answer is probably lots. :D

BrigandTwoFour
05-29-13, 21:42
I know there are a lot of groups itching to challenge these in court. There has not been a challenge to the current AWB since the Heller/McDonald decisions, and I think they were waiting for something just like this to come along to demonstrate the anti-constitution nature of the prohibition lobby.

The 9th will probably support the law, and then its off to petition the US supreme court who has been turning down a lot of small 2A cases lately waiting for one that has broader implications.

One can only hope, though. My stint here is still early. I'm not interested in losing my job and security clearance over some silly "I will not comply with registration" moment. Were I to stick around long enough and worry about the eventual attempt at confiscation, that might be a different story. But I plan on being well away from this state long before that happens.

diving dave
05-30-13, 09:27
Cant say I'm surprised, this state is run by retards. 18 months and I retire, thank God I home a home in another gun friendly state.